Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Kristopherus, the STB has only one sat tuner so this is expected behaviour. A download won't fix it.

However I would like to be able to playback existing recordings while a new recording is taking place, but they are not accessible. Bad design!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

kierytek wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help me, how do you play avi files or MPEG4 files via usb on this box. All I get is sound, tried converting file from avi to mpeg4 but still get the message - video codec not supported,. Any help greatly appreciated
    Thanks, Johnboy & Dislanger.
    So, I'm downloading FormatFactory to my laptopas we speak. (Or 'as I type')
    Once that's done, I need to change the format of the movies on my HDD into something the FA120 can read, right?
    I presume that to do that I need to plug the HDD into my laptop. What do I do then? How do I know what format to convert them to? They currently are .avi. Will they still be in the .avi "wrapper" afterwards, or will it be .ste (something else)?
    Thanx in advance,
    L-M

Short Note. You cannot simply remux (which is super quick) because it will keep the Video codec that the original file was encoded in. MOst of these files are XVID that cause problems.

Most AVI's "out there" are MPEG4 XVID - these WONT play in their present form, even though they are meant to be Part 2 MPEG4 ASP files but they are not strictly part of MPEG4 suite. MPEG4 is not MPEG4 H264 Pt 10 (AVC).

So you end up having to transcode to X264 so that the Ferguson can read the files. It expects a MPEG4 H264 AVC file. It doesnt matter what wrapper it is in (AVI/MKV/MP4 etc).

Example on how to encode to H264 file from existing files that currently don't work.
    (Download and install format factory first)

You have a choice of All to AVI, All to MKV etc, choose one say All to AVI.

Throw your file in.

Click on Output Setting.

Under Video Encode Click on Video Stream and change to AVC H264.

Click Ok.

Click Start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Not sure which thread to be posting on now but I'll go with this one.
    On RTE1+1 I'm getting sound but no picture. I've tried a rescan both before and after 7PM but only succeeded in losing RTE Jnr. Anyone else experience this? I'm getting my service from MT. Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bmaxi wrote: »
    Not sure which thread to be posting on now but I'll go with this one.
    On RTE1+1 I'm getting sound but no picture. I've tried a rescan both before and after 7PM but only succeeded in losing RTE Jnr. Anyone else experience this? I'm getting my service from MT. Leinster.

That happened here too - receiving from Maghera, but a rescan brought it in last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Rescanned tonight and it was back. I'll have to wait 'til Monday to see it RTE Jnr is gone again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not sure if this has been asked before, therefore apologies if it is indeed a repeat post. When I plug in an external HD, it starts to record there and then. I sthere any way I can disable this using the menu function? I had a quick look but I couldn't see anything obvious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi : has anyone got a code for a universal remote for this unit,?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

blueser wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked before, therefore apologies if it is indeed a repeat post. When I plug in an external HD, it starts to record there and then. I sthere any way I can disable this using the menu function? I had a quick look but I couldn't see anything obvious about it.
    It's meant to do that for the timeshift (pause and rewind) to work. If you turn it off you loose those functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It's meant to do that for the timeshift (pause and rewind) to work. If you turn it off you loose those functions.
    Cheers for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hi : has anyone got a code for a universal remote for this unit,?

As far as I know for the One For All remotes, the codes that work for the Ariva 120 are; VCR 2614, SAT 2638

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kierytek

STB wrote: »
    Short Note. You cannot simply remux (which is super quick) because it will keep the Video codec that the original file was encoded in. MOst of these files are XVID that cause problems.

Most AVI's "out there" are MPEG4 XVID - these WONT play in their present form, even though they are meant to be Part 2 MPEG4 ASP files but they are not strictly part of MPEG4 suite. MPEG4 is not MPEG4 H264 Pt 10 (AVC).

So you end up having to transcode to X264 so that the Ferguson can read the files. It expects a MPEG4 H264 AVC file. It doesnt matter what wrapper it is in (AVI/MKV/MP4 etc).

Example on how to encode to H264 file from existing files that currently don't work.
    (Download and install format factory first)

You have a choice of All to AVI, All to MKV etc, choose one say All to AVI.

Throw your file in.

Click on Output Setting.

Under Video Encode Click on Video Stream and change to AVC H264.

Click Ok.

Click Start.
    Hi, thanks for info, it also works if you convert to mkv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just a quick question for all you knowledgable people, I want to add channel 4 which is testing on 1n, how would I go about this?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Just a quick question for all you knowledgable people, I want to add channel 4 which is testing on 1n, how would I go about this?

The tuning details for Channel 4 HD on 1N are;

11127 V 22000
    2/3 DVB-S2

To tune it in just go to; Menu - Installation - TP List - Press the green button - enter the details above in bold - save it - press the blue button and it should scan it in!

TheTechGuy wrote: »

The new narrow beam satellite on Astra 1N ? Its positioned at 28.2. They mirror Astra 2D which is.....

10714 H 22k

The +1s are on
    10729 V 22k.

Manual search these in the menu.

You should be receiving these anyhoooo.

STB wrote: »
    The new narrow beam satellite on Astra 1N ? Its positioned at 28.2. They mirror Astra 2D which is.....

I think he means Channel 4HD which has moved to 1N

NUTZZ wrote: »
    I think he means Channel 4HD which has moved to 1N

Yep. All the HDs will be moving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

I am having serious problems with some 120 combo boxes locking up and freezing. Anyone else have these problems, its running the latest 2.15b8 firmware - is there any newer version around to see if that sorts the problem.

Not having any problems here but have you tried reflashing the software?, might clear up the problem.

s_gr wrote: »
    Hi,

I am having serious problems with some 120 combo boxes locking up and freezing. Anyone else have these problems, its running the latest 2.15b8 firmware - is there any newer version around to see if that sorts the problem.

Lock up on satellite and DTT. Or just DTT ?

If its both its the software. And what I would suggest is that you reflash the same software to the box a few times. It could be some form of corruption in the last flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

NUTZZ wrote: »
    The tuning details for Channel 4 HD on 1N are;

11127 V 22000
    2/3 DVB-S2

To tune it in just go to; Menu - Installation - TP List - Press the green button - enter the details above in bold - save it - press the blue button and it should scan it in!

Thanks NUTTZ. I did this but it doesn't appear in my Channel List. Do you know how I get it to replace my current C4HD which is blank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

harrys wrote: »
    Thanks NUTTZ. I did this but it doesn't appear in my Channel List. Do you know how I get it to replace my current C4HD which is blank?

If you have done as NUTTZ said. Your new CH4hd will appear at end of your channel listings. You need to delete the old ch4 HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

harrys wrote: »

NUTZZ advice is sound, I followed it myself and I now have Channel 4HD restored to my HD channel list on its new frequency of 11127 V 22000.

As 'givecredit' has just said, 4HD will appear as the very last station on your channel list (providing you added the New TP correctly) and did a search using the blue button! What you do then is to go into [Edit Channel] and move the new Channel 4HD to where the dead one is, then delete the dead one.

If you have a HD Faves channel listing then you can now add the new 4HD to your HD channel list (if you have one).

Good luck, and if you get stuck, just ask again . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Hi,

I was getting the same on DTT and I think (stress think) the firmware upgrade has fixed it. I certainly havent noticed it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

I was getting the same on DTT and I think (stress think) the firmware upgrade has fixed it. I certainly havent noticed it since.

What firmware did you update it too. Any chance someone can post latest firmware with latest channel list? Have seen old ones here but that could be my problem.

It seems to freeze on both dtt & satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

+1 - doesn't have to all the channels either - even if you stuck the streams at the back of the list.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

LordSutch wrote: »
    NUTZZ advice is sound, I followed it myself and I now have Channel 4HD restored to my HD channel list on its new frequency of 11127 V 22000.

As 'givecredit' has just said, 4HD will appear as the very last station on your channel list (providing you added the New TP correctly) and did a search using the blue button! What you do then is to go into [Edit Channel] and move the new Channel 4HD to where the dead one is, then delete the dead one.

If you have a HD Faves channel listing then you can now add the new 4HD to your HD channel list (if you have one).

Good luck, and if you get stuck, just ask again . . .

Thanks. That last bit did the trick for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Cheers NUTTZ, that worked perfectly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Hi,

Yes, regularly locking up... about once a day.

What firmware did you update it too. Any chance someone can post latest firmware with latest channel list? Have seen old ones here but that could be my problem.

It seems to freeze on both dtt & satellite.

The latest firmware can be found here (2.15b8)

Here's my channel list, all up to date.

http://www.mediafire.com/?670fuj684pqbpv1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

Hi First time posting just wondering can you put Version 2.15B8 on box which currently has version Version 2.15B5 on it???Also have signal strength of 90% and signal Quality of 86% on Ariva box but when i plug in Sky FTA box into another room quality and strength goes down to about 30% any idea why this is..thanks

Advertisement