Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I object to election posters... :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

DSCN0002-1.jpg

DSCN0001-1.jpg

Just spotted MMG campaign flypostering in my area; Email sent...

A Chara,

I attach two example photographs of your candidate's election posters that have been fly-postered in my neighbourhood adjacent to the Smithfield LUAS stop. I would remind your campaign office that fly-postering is not tolerated in Dublin City and would ask you to remove these posters and clean any residue from these public spaces.

I have quoted below the relevant section of the Litter Act, I understand that whilst there is a derogation for presidential and other election posters, common practice and courtesy has meant that all other election candidates, local, national and presidential over the last number of years have refrained from using this obnoxious practice which is defined as litter under the terms of the Litter Act. I believe Dublin City Council wrote to all candidates with regard to proper use of election posters.

I have cc'd Dublin City Council Litter Wardens Office to allow them to advise you further as to the Protocol for Election Posters for Dublin City. I have also cc'd RTÉ, Newstalk and the Irish Times in the public interest.

19.—(1) Where any structure or other land, door, gate, window,
    tree, pole or post is in or is visible from a public place, a person who
    is not the owner, occupier or person in charge thereof shall not—
    (a) exhibit or cause to be exhibited thereon any article or advertisement,
    or
    (b) carry out or cause to be carried out any defacement thereof
    by writing or other marks,
    unless the person is authorised in advance to do so in writing by such
    owner, occupier or person in charge or by or under any enactment.

Section 19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997

I urge your speedy action to clean up this fly-postering and request that you refrain from further fly-postering in Dublin City and elsewhere.

The insane thing is this is legal with the exemption under the Act. So a candidate could plaster your house with these legally

Really time for a change in the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

what i object to is nearly being decapitated by the smiling mug of Mary Davis in these high winds. evil, sadistic wagon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

what i object to is nearly being decapitated by the smiling mug of Mary Davis in these high winds. evil, sadistic wagon!

Ban them for health and safety reasons, I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Thank you for your email. All campaigners have been made aware that flyposting is not allowed. Unfortunately the small posters in the pictures you have supplied are available to the public and we do not have control over what members of the public do with them. I will contact Dublin City Council first thing tomorrow to make them aware of this and also have arranged for local campaign members to go and remove the posters.

Martin McGuinness for President Campaign
    National Campaign Office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I saw some people in Hi Viz jackets and a measuring tape in Rathmines Main St yesterday, they looked to be measuring up posters, some of which aren't even 1.8m above the ground and a total menace to all.

Btw Gay Mitchells posters have nothing written on them as to where they are printed, which is unusual. Anyone know where they are printed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Btw Gay Mitchells posters have nothing written on them as to where they are printed, which is unusual.
    That is breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

chrisdus wrote: »
    Hello all,

Seeing my beautiful street yet again being spoiled by the large posters being hung on every lamp post, I decided to check on line and with citizens information what we can do about it, and share it with you some ideas on the subject.. (Or, basically what I'm currently doing..) :)

1) Get yourself acquainted with the rules.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/VotingandElections/Pages/GeneralElection2011ElectionPostering.aspx
    http://www.environ.ie/en/

2) Send mails to (or call) the candidates campaign offices (adresses below) to object and send them a request to take them down, mention the street of course.

3) If they do respond and take them down, mention that here, it's good to know in general who responds. If not, the only wayt is to try to catch them on 'badly placed; posters.. Brings me to:

4) Take a photo if a poster is in breach of the rules, and mail that to customerservices@dublincity.ie. (Please also upload the image on this thread (public shame board!) so we can get the counsel to fine them.)

5) Try to organize the street to sign a petition and send a copy of that to every campaign office.

Some contact information (feel free to add phone numbers and other mail addresses here to the thread!):

http://www.marydavis.ie/mary-davis/contact/
    mary@marydavis.ie

http://www.seangallagher.com/2011/contact-sean/
    together@seangallagher.com

http://www.michaeldhiggins.ie/contact/
    info@michaeldhiggins.ie

http://www.dana-music.com/contact-dana-catholic-music.html

http://gaymitchell2011.ie/contact/

Happy protesting, and let me know how you get on of course!

Regards,
    Chris

PS: I'm not a pensioner, I'm a 33 year old non-Irish dude and just think it's wrong to spend A) all this money, and B) make Dublin so ugly as it is a really great city without the posters! For your information, in our country we do not allow posters like this.. If you want to advertise, you simply hang your poster on special allocated billboards, or rent commercial space. Nuff said!

So a foreign dude is now dictating how we should publicise our own local elections. Nice one, any more nuggets? In this country we do things our way.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Alice1

There are several posters of Michael D Higgins on the ground near our road and at least two of Patrick Nulty (bye election candidate) They have been there for days. I emailed both of them yesterday and got a reply from Nulty to say he would attend to it as soon as possible. (Still there today) I got no reply from Micheal D Higgins.

There is a poster of Mary Davis thrown inside the railings of a local school so I emailed her too. She didn't reply either.

The lack of response doesn't inspire much confidence really.

Between the presidential election and the bye election here, we are positively puddled with posters. Tis a pain. Hopefully, they will all be removed within the prescribed time after the election - I think it is within 7 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think if Gallaghers campaign proved anything it is that posters have little or no effect especially on the presidential elections with so few candidates and so many debates.

Personally I find the leaflets through the door more useful as I read them and it is at least possible to get some sort of mesage across as well as your face known.

I won't be voting for him though for obvious reasons (not the FF ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Alice1

chrisdus wrote: »
    PS: I'm not a pensioner, I'm a 33 year old non-Irish dude and just think it's wrong to spend A) all this money, and B) make Dublin so ugly as it is a really great city without the posters! For your information, in our country we do not allow posters like this.. If you want to advertise, you simply hang your poster on special allocated billboards, or rent commercial space. Nuff said!

Chris, thanks very much for all the info - really very helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The council have the power to remove these, but seem to take a very relaxed attitude. McGuiness has big signs drilled into walls, but there perfectly legal I was told.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I ran into an actively postering Shinner once ( no pun intended) and I put it to him that I would never vote Sinn Féin until they got the packaging right.... IE Green Cable Ties.

He said "Ah No" , "the council would know it was us and make us take away all the cable ties as well"

This also explains why I never saw blue or red cable ties on my travels. :D

Advertisement