Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed after drinking?

Options
  • 27-09-2011 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

This is not a Personal Issue now but does anyone here ever find they are often depressed after a night out or is it just me? I find when you have a really good night out and when you get in after about 20 minutes I find I am terribly depressed and lonely. Does any one else find this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Yea, the day after a wreak is usually a bit low, you've been over using your chemicals so you're brain is playing catch up. I get the shakes too, sometimes full blown fear if it was particularly bad/good night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I find killing myself helps.....that or go to bed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

It doesn't say on the label?

Alcohol is a depressant. Sorta defeats the projected purpose.. no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

It's called The Fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

alcohol = depressant

FACT! :)

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    It's called The Fear

nah man... the fear is the fear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

yes, always feel lonely after a high moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This is not a Personal Issue now but does anyone here ever find they are often depressed after a night out or is it just me? I find when you have a really good night out and when you get in after about 20 minutes I find I am terribly depressed and lonely. Does any one else find this?

It's called drug abuse.

mikom wrote: »
    It's called drug abuse.

Yes, Buzz is right, Drug abuse is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Careful now, it's these sort of rumours that could get it labelled as a depressant.

• Advertisement

It's called The Fear
    Then comes the horrors.
    Don't think of insects/rats before you sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Dodd wrote: »
    Then comes the horrors.
    Don't think of insects/rats before you sleep.

dont think of an elephant now!
    you thought of an elephant didnt you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭site designer

Saila wrote: »
    alcohol = depressant

FACT! :)

Not the same as clinical depression. I really hate when people use that line (even doctors sometimes).

'depressant drugs can cause confusion, lack of coordination, low blood pressure, and slowed heart rate and breathing.'
    eg Sleeping tablets and tranqulizers are depressants too :0

Its the withdrawal from alcohol that makes you depressed but that's not why's its a depressant.

Its the withdrawal from alcohol that makes you depressed but that's not why's its a depressant.

are you assuming he's an alcoholic?!

Not the same as clinical depression. I really hate when people use that line (even doctors sometimes).

'depressant drugs can cause confusion, lack of coordination, low blood pressure, and slowed heart rate and breathing.'

Are you saying it is the after affects of drinking rather than a part of drinking.
    As in it is after drinking and would not happen if the person drank more when felling depressed from lack of drink.?

I only drink if I'm roughing it outdoors. Otherwise It's a bit shìt really, .. No, scratch that, it's really shít.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I only drink if I'm roughing it outdoors. Otherwise It's a bit shìt really, .. No, scratch that, it's really shít.
    I feel sorry for you that you have never felt the up side of it even if you did only drink while roughing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's called The Fear

The reason I dont do heavy sessions anymore. The come down just isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

just don't stop :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I feel a bit depressed when I look in my wallet the next morning! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

A double whiskey should help with the blue mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I think its fairly common to get a touch of the blues after a session. but there are worse things, namely the horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Most people are having great fun & craic when there out,talking sharing stories,flirting its a great buzz altogether and you want it to last forever.Then when you get home alone the reality kicks in and everything including the stresses of everyday life is still there,it make anybody depressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I have a bad dose of the fear now after a 4 day weekend.

Is there any way of preventing it? (Apart from not drinking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I knew alcohol is a depressant but never experienced any come down before,up until the past few years. I find that lately it does just get me down even when there's no external reason,so i've started limiting myself. You should consider the same OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I sometimes get the fear after a heavy night I wouldn't get depression as such it's more like your brain is over active

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I knew alcohol is a depressant but never experienced any come down before,up until the past few years. I find that lately it does just get me down even when there's no external reason,so i've started limiting myself. You should consider the same OP.

im in the same boat, and suffering right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

What goes up must come down. And down. And down. And down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Yep, this annoys me too.

Alcohol is a CNS depressant - a Central Nervous System Depressant, just like other sedatives and benzodioazepines that agonise the brain's GABA receptors. It is a depressant because it slows down or 'depresses' the heart, lungs etc. The reason why getting overly drunk causes people to pass out and sleep.

Alcohol is not a depressant because it causes depression, although that can be one of many side effects of frequent misuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

anhedonia wrote: »
    Alcohol is not a depressant because it causes depression, although that can be one of many side effects of frequent misuse.

is something that causes depression not a depressant?

Advertisement