Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New icerink!!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

I am hearing stories about the owner of the Santry Rink opening up a Charlestown look-alike rink in Belfast along with an ex-partner Tony Kinsella.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yeah, i saw a photo of the pavilion going up on FB, didn't realise it was going to be that big. They have their fair share of rinks up there, we need that down here!!! (not that I have a problem with getting more people aware of hockey, I'm just jealous)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I-Skate in the RDS

Ice or plastic?

Scratch that - just spotted real ice on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

Wisco wrote: »
    Yeah, i saw a photo of the pavilion going up on FB, didn't realise it was going to be that big. They have their fair share of rinks up there, we need that down here!!! (not that I have a problem with getting more people aware of hockey, I'm just jealous)

Weird ---- another post of mine in answer to this has gone missing ????

It basically said that the sport up North is far more high profile than down here so we are not really missionaries making them any more aware - after all they have the Giants, some highly qualified coaches, and players from there have been the backbone of Team Ireland for many years.

I also expressed surprise at the PRO of the IIHA setting up a rink there when his Association could really do with one in the South and the demand here for another hockey rink has to be great. A lot of hockey enthusiasts volunteered their time and sweat to get Santry going and I thought their first obligation would be to attend to the needs of those volunteers.

I wonder if the shambles at Fay Towers is the reason for the disillusionment and decision to move the operation Northwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 headlikea

ExIIHA wrote: »
    I am hearing stories about the owner of the Santry Rink opening up a Charlestown look-alike rink in Belfast along with an ex-partner Tony Kinsella.

Is this to be a Christmas rink or a permanent rink? If permanent it doesn't make sense at all seeing as there's two rinks already there.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    I-Skate in the RDS

Ice or plastic?

Scratch that - just spotted real ice on the website

It's real ice, haven't been yet, I was there 2 years ago I think it's 1000m2, i'll probably go during the week. Synthetic/ plastic ice is sh1te and it ruins your blades.

ExIIHA wrote: »

Perhaps not the wisest move at the moment looking at the current political situation, everything seems to be kicking off up there again.

Still, I suppose the rink providers weren't to know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimbest

Hey Guys,

Just incase people dont know but since the lockout finished Setanta Sports released a press release that i have been sent. might be of interest to people cant wait for the new season

Live NHL returns to Setanta this weekend

The lockout has finally ended and hockey fans in Ireland can once again get back to the business of enjoying live NHL on Setanta. The season was originally due to start in October but following over 100 days of protracted negotiations agreement was finally reached last week. This means that the 2012/2013 season will be shortened to 48 games but it does get underway this weekend. Brian Quinn, Marketing Director of Setanta Sports, commented ‘We are delighted that the dispute has been resolved. Hockey fans are amongst the most passionate and vocal of our customer base and we know that they just want to get back to watching the games and supporting their team. This year we intend to start with 15 games each week on Setanta Sports 1.’

Setanta’s live coverage starts this Saturday with Pittsburgh v Philadelphia on Setanta Sports 1 at 8pm. Setanta Sports 1 will also be showing NHL TONIGHT, the flagship NHL show which provides the best round-ups and analysis. The first NHL TONIGHT two hour preview show airs on Setanta Sports 1 on Wednesday at 7pm.

Setanta Sports are currently running a special offer for Hockey fans.

Sign up on Satellite for just €8.49 for two months (ROI) per month and just £5.99 per month for 3 months (NI). Visit www.setanta.com to subscribe

On UPC (ROI) Setanta Sports 1 is a premium channel. Visit www.upc.ie to subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭PMC83

Work for upc much?!
    jimbest wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Just incase people dont know but since the lockout finished Setanta Sports released a press release that i have been sent. might be of interest to people cant wait for the new season

Live NHL returns to Setanta this weekend

The lockout has finally ended and hockey fans in Ireland can once again get back to the business of enjoying live NHL on Setanta. The season was originally due to start in October but following over 100 days of protracted negotiations agreement was finally reached last week. This means that the 2012/2013 season will be shortened to 48 games but it does get underway this weekend. Brian Quinn, Marketing Director of Setanta Sports, commented ‘We are delighted that the dispute has been resolved. Hockey fans are amongst the most passionate and vocal of our customer base and we know that they just want to get back to watching the games and supporting their team. This year we intend to start with 15 games each week on Setanta Sports 1.’

Setanta’s live coverage starts this Saturday with Pittsburgh v Philadelphia on Setanta Sports 1 at 8pm. Setanta Sports 1 will also be showing NHL TONIGHT, the flagship NHL show which provides the best round-ups and analysis. The first NHL TONIGHT two hour preview show airs on Setanta Sports 1 on Wednesday at 7pm.

Setanta Sports are currently running a special offer for Hockey fans.

Sign up on Satellite for just €8.49 for two months (ROI) per month and just £5.99 per month for 3 months (NI). Visit www.setanta.com to subscribe

On UPC (ROI) Setanta Sports 1 is a premium channel. Visit www.upc.ie to subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gwils

Hey there, I'm new to Ireland and would love to continue playing hockey. Is this rink in Santry real ice and is it open to the public? I presume there is little to no women's ice hockey here but it's worth a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gwils wrote: »
    Hey there, I'm new to Ireland and would love to continue playing hockey. Is this rink in Santry real ice and is it open to the public? I presume there is little to no women's ice hockey here but it's worth a shot!

Last I heard of Santry was that it was gone altogether. Castleknock is still there, real ice but not a great surface. But better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Last I heard of Santry was that it was gone altogether. Castleknock is still there, real ice but not a great surface. But better than nothing.

Castleknock is gone. Council wouldn't let them stay

gwils wrote: »

Hi gwils, there is no ice rink in Santry and Castleknock ice rink shut a month ago after being open for over a year. There is women's ice hockey here, Ireland has a ladies team and they competed in the IIHF Ice Hockey Women's World Championship Division 2, group B in Turkey in December 2012.

For more info on women's ice hockey contact the IIHA.

I know that the Celtic Clovers ice hockey club, which formed last year in Castleknock, have both male and female players and are looking for more (they're on facebook and have a website). However there is currently no ice, though a venue is being sought. If I hear anything concrete I'll post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

headlikea wrote: »

Hi gwils, there is no ice rink in Santry and Castleknock ice rink shut a month ago after being open for over a year. There is women's ice hockey here, Ireland has a ladies team and they competed in the IIHF Ice Hockey Women's World Championship Division 2, group B in Turkey in December 2012.

For more info on women's ice hockey contact the IIHA.

I know that the Celtic Clovers ice hockey club, which formed last year in Castleknock, have both male and female players and are looking for more (they're on facebook and have a website). However there is currently no ice, though a venue is being sought. If I hear anything concrete I'll post it here.

Clovers have switched for the time being to inline with occasional trips north for real ice. We train at 8 every Wednesday night in the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown. Make yourself known on the Facebook page, you might like us.

Advertisement