Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New icerink!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

How did the skate go lads? Heard there was a bit of a problem with the roof over center ice. Will it need to close again in order to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Ice seemed pretty good to me! Few spots where condensation drips from the ceiling and forms blobs on the ice, but nothing massive or that would trip you up.
    I dunno about anyone else, but I don't mind a few little problems- we have a rink again!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Uncle Grueber

Hopefully the issue will get resolved. Until then, it'll be more of this... :D

http://flic.kr/p/bCm1YY

• Registered Users Posts: 17 achillies21

Hey , does anyone no the skates times in santry for pick up ?? What teams are around at the moment and training times , if anyone knows could they let me no ??

Pickup at 9.30pm Mon and Weds nights. Sometimes on other times too, but think it depends on the week as to what's on. If you have a club, I'd get in contact with them about training times- doesn't seem like it's all set in stone just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Any sign of a dedicated website for the rink?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

only see it there on the irish ice hockey page im headin up today cant wait to get my skates on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

Hope we don't make the mistake of putting all our eggs into one basket, there are lots of things that can go wrong and if we allow Castleknock to just starve itself out of existance there could be trouble ahead.

As great as it is to have two rinks now, Castleknock is not really suited to proper ice hockey. Doesn't have the boards, markings, rounded corners etc... and is quite a bit too small. I'm no expert but I've also found the ice surface to be quite poor also.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    As great as it is to have two rinks now, Castleknock is not really suited to proper ice hockey. Doesn't have the boards, markings, rounded corners etc... and is quite a bit too small. I'm no expert but I've also found the ice surface to be quite poor also.

All very true, however it has passed the test of time, and only time will tell if
    Santry can do that.

• Advertisement

ExIIHA wrote: »
    All very true, however it has passed the test of time, and only time will tell if Santry can do that.

Would of course be great if both could co-exist, but Santry looks like a far more professional job I'm sure you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 headlikea

Hi! just a couple of points Joe, Santry looks like a professional job alright, it looks great! but looks aren't everything. I just want to point out that although Castleknock is a smaller rink it is the same size as the old skating rinks in Dublin such as The Silver Skate in Phibsboro or The Dolphin's Barn ice rinks back in the 80's and 90's. Many of the ice hockey players now in their 30's and 40's grew up on these rinks and learned their skills without boards, markings and rounded corners. Infact the rinks were good enough for the students of the National college of Surgeons who used to train there. I've found the surface quality of the ice at Castleknock better than most of the Christmas rinks.
    I think that poster 'exIIHA' is saying that if we all flock to Santry, and Castleknock closes, then God forbid, Santry closes we will be left with no rinks at all. So I think you would agree it would be foolhardy to sacrifice one rink for another.
    There's an old fable about a dog with his bone and looking at his reflection in the river he sees another dog with a bone. Thinking he can have 2 bones, he jumped into the river, lost his original bone and ended up with no bones.

Wisco wrote: »
    Pickup at 9.30pm Mon and Weds nights. Sometimes on other times too, but think it depends on the week as to what's on. If you have a club, I'd get in contact with them about training times- doesn't seem like it's all set in stone just yet.

Thanks wisco !!

Can anyone tell me , what teams are out at the moment for all skill levels !! Looking to join one! I dont mean teams that are starting out ! Just a list off what club thats are running at the moment !! Thanks ;0

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Thanks wisco !!

Can anyone tell me , what teams are out at the moment for all skill levels !! Looking to join one !!!

Well i would love to know this aswell. Would love to learn how to play hockey and Skate well :)

Well i would love to know this aswell. Would love to learn how to play hockey and Skate well :)

There's pick up hockey tonight , i shall be going ! Get some more experience ! Be good for you tonight learn some stuff !

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

There's pick up hockey tonight , i shall be going ! Get some more experience ! Be good for you tonight learn some stuff !

Ah so anyone can just go ?

If thats the case I wont be able tonight, as im dying with some type of flu :(

Ah so anyone can just go ?

If thats the case I wont be able tonight, as im dying with some type of flu :(

Ye i was told on the last page , that its monday wensday is pick anyone is welcome i think !! I no the flyers have training thurs an wolves have wens , but wondering what team are out there before i see if i can join 1 !

Should have plenty of choice: Flyers, Hawks, Wolves, Whalers, Bulls, Celtic Clovers- I'm sure I'm missing some, just can't think of them off hand. Some of those clubs have junior and ladies teams too.
    Flowrider, if you've not played before I believe the IIHA are going to run some learn to play sessions (divided into over and under 16 I think). Pickup might be tough if you've never really played before- depends on who's there as to what the skill level is. I know I sometimes really enjoyed it at the Dome when there was a good mix of players, but when it was full of people who didn't want to get off the ice or pass the puck it was a bit less fun.
    I'm heading up tomorrow for Whalers- anyone know if Riot runs an open session? They're on before Whalers so would be handy to get bit of extra time after the drive up.

Meant to say as well that pickup is from 10.15-11.45. Guess the schedule is a bit changed from the last one I saw.

Ye i was told on the last page , that its monday wensday is pick anyone is welcome i think !! I no the flyers have training thurs an wolves have wens , but wondering what team are out there before i see if i can join 1 !

Not strictly true, not just anyone is welcome, as there is no public liability insurance, so, you must affiliate with a club that is affiliated with the IIHA to avail of their insurance.
    If there is someone un-insured on the ice, then everyone else is un-insured as well, no matter what premium they have paid.
    Castleknock have their own policy, so, in that particular way, it is slightly better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

Just to add hockey locker are heading down tomorrow. Just read it on there Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

was up there yesterday all i have is hockeys skates i need more equipment eh there learn how to play program on saturday at 12 if any one is goin up .. had a look at the ice rink its ****in deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dragula003

I have been playing in the "Learn To Play" program its awesome! really good! for 10e you get whatever gear you need and an hour on the Ice, and a game at the end.

Means you can try the sport before you decide to invest in the gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

Hey Dragula, is there complete beginners there too? what kind of things do they go through? is there basic skating skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

Does anybody know if you can just pop in and skate around for and hour or so?

Would love to go one or twice a week to get better at skating

Hi Mark, As far as I know there is no public skating in Santry, yet.... You can always go to Castleknock. it's smaller but the ice is usually good

Rookey wrote: »
    Hey Dragula, is there complete beginners there too? what kind of things do they go through? is there basic skating skills?

On Saturdays between 1 and 2 is the beginners and the skill is everything from people who can't stay up on the ice to people who haven't played in a while (but are well capable) but I would advise to just go down and get stuck in! That's what I did!

They do basic skating drills and then stick/puck handling skills and finish with a short game!

Going to castle knock this Thursday so I can get more than 1 session a week! Will report on that too!

Cool thanks, might pop down this saturday! Just to let you know (you might already know) Thursday evenings in Castleknock is training, I think from 8 its Dublin Ducks and more of a beginners and from 9:15 it Celtic clovers.

Yeah i know i was talking to one of the lads who's involved!
    I wanna join a team but if i Join one of the bigger teams it may be hard to develop because they are all so advanced so i like the way the Celtic clovers are doing it, I assume the Ducks are a sister team as they seem to have a lot of affiliation on the web!

I just wanna play hockey! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 headlikea

Hi Dragula, there's more information on Castleknock and Santry ice rinks on this forum, if you look up the threads 'castleknock on ice' and 'new rink'.
    http://forums.internationalhockey.net/forumdisplay.php?58-IRELAND

Advertisement