Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Wall Street - Media Balckout & Police Brutatility

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I see no reason not to be, unless there is some kind of entrance requirement I am unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I see no reason not to be, unless there is some kind of entrance requirement I am unaware of.
    I have no words for how disgusting I find your opinions that won't get me banned.

Ok, whatever does it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    The police resorted to dirty tactics first. I think it was a good move to publish the details, now they can be held accountable or at least the is a threat of being held accountable on some level.

What you're really saying here is "They started it!" is that it? How childish can you get.

No it doesnt. I looks like there was a media blackout. When the protest didn't get the coverage they called foul because it was foul play, dirty tactics as usual.

Exactly what it is Dathi, the news dies out so they start a media blackout story and gets people like you interested and then you cover the story for free. It's very clever really. It's a media circus for them too, that's what protesting is about these days. Getting your story out there. Same way as someone getting maced is a story, worth a day or two in the media until the next story comes along.

I see you are saying it "looks" like a media blackout now. You were a bit more certain earlier, despite it being in the Washington Times and NY Times.

Because they want the word to spread and finally it is spreading finally. Fresh protests are setting up around the Country. The media blackout has backfired.

You are deluding yourself now, the story of the media blackout was invented specifically to gain the interest of people like yourself Dathi. Media blackout sells more copy than "anti-capitalist" protest. You certainly wouldn't have gotten the milage you have out of this thread if it wasn't hyped up as a media blackout.

People are always "spoonfed" the same crap from the same media outlets. When it's media that people actually WANT spread, it doesn't happen. It's not to much to ask for some media coverage.

After all, what they are doing is "commendable", surely that's news worthy ?

It is in the news, just not as much as you or they want it to be. So they are manipulating the media every now and then with a bonus story to drag in people like yourself to help them. I'm really surprised you haven't copped this Dathi. That you are being played by them in the same way as you think the MSM are trying to play the average joe.

I hope these pigs and their families are harassed for years to come for being the corrupt, gutless thugs that they are.

Easy for you to say sitting on your hole looking at a computer screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

studiorat wrote: »
    Easy for you to say sitting on your hole looking at a computer screen.
    what???? are you out on the Frontlines manning the barricades or something??????

• Advertisement

No, but I'm not the one having fits of schadenfreude.

Ok, whatever does it for you.

Please, If I let peoples terribad opinions keep me from places where they were a small part of the community, I'd have to live on the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

What you're really saying here is "They started it!" is that it? How childish can you get.

Not so fast srat. If a protester (whose views you happen to disagree with) gets beaten and arrested and abused by cops you simply say he deserved it. Even if that protester was demonstrating for a cause that might benefit you personally.
    Yet when a cop acts in a manner that also has negative ramifications then all of a sudden you have a differnet slant to take.

Strange how incredibly biased and hypocritical you wingnuts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yet it's just the run of the mill when cops beat up innocent protesters ?
    These are family members too, with mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, kids etc. Nobody is saying the NYPD's actions are disgusting.
    If the NYPD acted accordingly as they should, they would have nothing to hide and nothing to worry about.
    Play with fire and you get burned, treat folk the way you expect to be treated yada yada
    Okay, try and think of it this way: Applying your logic, any one of the protestors who breaches the simplest of laws should be punished and their families sought out and harrassed for the rest of their lives. Does this seem like justice to you? Or does it only apply to those you select?

Clearly it is surprising it didn't receive much attention. The fact that it wasn't getting much attention caused it to get attention ! by the mainstream media itself. You can argue with me as long as you like about is but the facts are the facts, look back over the video's I posted for reassurance.

But the only fact is that it wasn't getting a whole lot of attention. Have a look for other protests around the states. Not many of them are covered either. The New York Observer link you posted explains perfectly why media outlets couldn't give much coverage, because there was nothing to cover. There was no organisation. There was no solidarity. It's a mess of a protest on pretty much every level. The only thing it may achieve is hopefully getting a bad cop off fired.

Agreed, I see your point, but it's not just a business, it's a tool used for pushing forward agenda or for hushing things up.
    But in this case, there's no need to push an agenda because there's nothing to push it against. The protest was DOA. With a little luck they'll learn from their mistakes and do it properly next time and get the coverage they desserve.

You know, you probably trot out the tired old "eye for an eye" or "fight fire with fire" or "all's fair in love and war" cliches when it suits you like in defense of the death penalty or when protestors get beaten you probably lazily puke out the "they knew the risks" or "mess with the bull you get the horns" slogans, yet when scumbag tactics are countered with scumbag tactics, well then it's just not cricket anymore.

I hope these pigs and their families are harassed for years to come for being the corrupt, gutless thugs that they are.
    Will you ever stop building strawmen? The argument is that if someone does something wrong, then their families must be punished. If you break a rule on Boards, your family should be banned. If you break the speed limit, your family should pay. If any of those protestors break the tiniest law, their families should be hunted down and harrassed for the rest of their lives. This is the argument that's being made. How you can justify that belief and then pretend you're on the side of justice is beyond me.

An excellent piece of main stream coverage on this past weekend :D

• Advertisement

Humanji, it's just a case of name and shame. I dont think anyone is suggesting that anyone go to the address and attack the family. These cops will get away with their abuse of authority as per usual. Maybe this stunt will prevent further unnecessary arrests and beatings/macing. Maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I don't remember the police being as interested when people were carrying guns at the medicare scooter (tea party) rallies!

fontanalis wrote: »
    I don't remember the police being as interested when people were carrying guns at the medicare scooter (tea party) rallies!

Well, there is that whole "Right to bear arms" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

There's also the first ammendemnt which applies to the protestors (I haven't seen any footage but I'm sure it's the usual confrontation junkies/hipsters who kill a good movement).

http://vetlemakt.com/wp-content/uploads/imagessecond-amendment_small.jpg

Not so fast srat. If a protester (whose views you happen to disagree with) gets beaten and arrested and abused by cops you simply say he deserved it.

Would you ever get a grip on yourself. I never said anything of the sort.
    You'll have to stop accepting your pre-conceptions as fact. It makes you look like a loon.

Interview with one girl who got maced.

http://vimeo.com/29629642

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Humanji, it's just a case of name and shame. I dont think anyone is suggesting that anyone go to the address and attack the family. These cops will get away with their abuse of authority as per usual. Maybe this stunt will prevent further unnecessary arrests and beatings/macing. Maybe not.
    But they're naming and shaming innocent people. They have to suffer because of someone else's actions. That's morally reprehensible. Would anonymous want their families names and addresses published to try and deter them from their actions? Of course not. So why do they feel justified?

humanji wrote: »
    But they're naming and shaming innocent people. They have to suffer because of someone else's actions. That's morally reprehensible. Would anonymous want their families names and addresses published to try and deter them from their actions? Of course not. So why do they feel justified?

You seen the video right ? the guy walks into the scene, sprays mace in the face of a group of girls and cowers away. What is so innocent about that ? He might be innocent in the eyes of the law (which of course he is above) until proven guilty but video evidence is enough for me.

I havnt read any reports of his family being named,attacked or harassed. Until they are, it's all hot air and being blown out of proportion.

This kind of cr@P goes unchecked to often for to long.
    Anonymous stunt seems to be thus far the best deterrent to police brutality.

What I would say to this thug is.. 'don't throw stones if you live in a glass house'. Simples

I bet his wife will tell him to "tone it fnking down, your heavy handed actions are putting your family at risk". "What the fnck did you mace innocent girls for anyway ?" "what kind of man are you ?" "How many other people have you unnecessarily arrested, abused or beaten ?"

No, but I'm not the one having fits of schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude?

How exactly would you apply schadenfreude to police brutality on girls or retribution meted in response to that brutality?

You don't have the onions to protest anything yourself so in your inadequacy and insecurity you cheer on violence against those who do have these finer qualities.

The sad thing about a guy like you is that if people were out striking for cleaner water or better education standards you'd sneer at them as being liberal, anti-government pinkos. If, when their demands, however, were met you'd gladly avail yourself of the improved conditions.

Go "fumble in the greasy till and add prayer to shivering prayer", Mr Schadenfreude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 naldface

Schadenfreude?

How exactly would you apply schadenfreude to police brutality on girls or retribution meted in response to that brutality?

You don't have the onions to protest anything yourself so in your inadequacy and insecurity you cheer on violence against those who do have these finer qualities.

The sad thing about a guy like you is that if people were out striking for cleaner water or better education standards you'd sneer at them as being liberal, anti-government pinkos. If, when their demands, however, were met you'd gladly avail yourself of the improved conditions.

Go "fumble in the greasy till and add prayer to shivering prayer", Mr Schadenfreude.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you really don't want to talk about the cops

• Advertisement

Will you ever stop building strawmen? The argument is that if someone does something wrong, then their families must be punished. If you break a rule on Boards, your family should be banned. If you break the speed limit, your family should pay. If any of those protestors break the tiniest law, their families should be hunted down and harrassed for the rest of their lives. This is the argument that's being made. How you can justify that belief and then pretend you're on the side of justice is beyond me.

Because to be quite honest, this kind of brutality is a run-of-the-mill daily occurrence. Check out any protest, any rally, any demonstration that threatens the elites and their order, i.e. anything anti-war, anti-G8, anti-fraud/theft/corruption and these cops are baying for blood. They unleash the dogs, brutalise peaceful demonstrators and mace, baton or smash young faces into the concrete. And they get away with it. They've got nothing to fear. Certainly not prosecution. Even when cops pump 45 shells into a mentally retarded unarmed man they go free. Only time I can remember a NY cop getting brought up on charges was when he battered a black man in the car with his radio and then tortured him in the precinct and nearly killed him by ramming a broken toilet plunger handle so far up his anus that it ruptured his intestines and spleen. He then rammed the handle into the man's mouth smashing all his front teeth. And STILL there were people who said that the victim, Abner Louima, probably deserved such horror.

Yet whenever there's a demonstration that bears no threat to the rich like dummies protesting some shït like gay-marriage or the Ku Klux klan having a march or a bunch of twits protesting the building of a mosque, there's not so much as peep out of the cops.

So who gives them the order to act like cops on one day and to act like fücking brownshirts on another day. Cops aren't the smartest people in the world and a lot of the time they don't understand the nature of the rallies that they are overseeing. Consequently SOMEONE must tell them when to be peacful and standoffish and when to be thugs.

Either that OR they are all thugs who actually agree with those who protest against blacks, muslims and queers.

Three of my cousins are NYPD and one is Philadelphia PD. The PDP is an old duffer beat cop (actually a grand-uncle) and he's dead old school. Nice, stereotypical Paddy cop from the 50's and 60's. The younger NYPD ones are racist thugs and they're my own flesh and blood.

And what about the right to bear a video camera?
    What about the right to free assembly?
    What about the right to be secure about your person and possessions from unlawful search and seizure?
    What about the right to freedom from cruel and unusual punishment?

If any of these protestors carried a rifle to this demonstration (as per your right to bear arms) he would have been shot.

You can't have one law for one person and a different one for others.

I despise anti-abortion activists but they have just as much right to seek redress as any other group of people, freely and safely. I despise White Supremacists organisations but they too enjoys the right to vent their spleen of bigotry....again freely and safely. Why then do the police feel the need to beat the tar out of intelligent and gentle young people who ought to be able to voice their concerns too?

If any of these protestors carried a rifle to this demonstration (as per your right to bear arms) he would have been shot.

In NYC - hardly shot, but probably arrested.
    In other states maybe not. The rules on carrying guns vary from state to state.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

And what about the right to bear a video camera?
    What about the right to free assembly?
    What about the right to be secure about your person and possessions from unlawful search and seizure?
    What about the right to freedom from cruel and unusual punishment?
    And what about the right to the presumption of innocence?
    What about the right to a trial before being punished?
    What about the right to freedom from undue punishment?
    What about the right to privacy and safety?

Or do only certain people get all the rights?

King Mob wrote: »

We presume the girl is innocent.
    Trial ? She isn't accused of anything.
    Yeah, what about that right to freedom without being maced.
    Yeah, privacy and safety, you would think she would be safe in police presence.
    Yes, only certain people enjoy these rights, Police.

Could you kindly explain what the fück you're talking about?

We presume the girl is innocent.
    Trial ? She isn't accused of anything.
    Yeah, what about that right to freedom without being maced.
    Yeah, privacy and safety, you would think she would be safe in police presence.
    Yes, only certain people enjoy these rights, Police.
    Could you kindly explain what the fück you're talking about?
    What you guys are advocating, releasing people's personal information, are against all of those rights.
    And these are just the violated ones of the cops themselves. Their families would have some many others violated.

But hey, you guys don't like those people, so why should you care about their rights?

What you guys are advocating, releasing people's personal information, are against all of those rights.
    And these are just the violated ones of the cops themselves. Their families would have some many others violated.

But hey, you guys don't like those people, so why should you care about their rights?

You are talking in hypothetical riddles.

Some of these guys get away literally with murder on a daily basis. They see themselves as being outside or above the law.

So be it.

But they must not come crawling back to the law when it suits them.

And you must not their crawling for them.

You are talking in hypothetical riddles.

Some of these guys get away literally with murder on a daily basis. They are outside or above the law.

So be it.

But they must not come crawling back to the law when it suits them.

And you must not their crawling for them.
    There's no riddle.
    I'm saying you're being hypocritical.

You're saying that they deserve punishment for operating outside of the law and violating peoples rights.
    And you are also saying that operating outside of the law and violating people's rights is an ok thing to do.

And the only difference between the two groups who do so is that you don't like one.

• Advertisement

There's no riddle.
    I'm saying you're being hypocritical.

You're saying that they deserve punishment for operating outside of the law and violating peoples rights.
    And you are also saying that operating outside of the law and violating people's rights is an ok thing to do.

And the only difference between the two groups who do so is that you don't like one.

No, I stated earlier that I wouldn't recommend it.

But something done in retaliation is easier for me to digest. Especially when a bully pepper sprays a young girl for no reason.
    In retaliation, he deserves what's coming, to him.

Advertisement