Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amanda Knox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's quite clear from my post and the highlighted part of your quote, that I was referring to your discounting of the anti-American edge to the case and the resultant (in my opinion) heavy original sentencing.

Sorry I missed that in your earlier post.

Anything is possible I suppose, and I accept that some anti-American sentiment exists in many countries. However, I cannot accept a conspiracy involving the police and prosection team in Pegulia based on being anti-American. I just don't see it, the prosection led media campaign against her focussed on the fact that she was sex crazed, "Foxy Knoxy", many lovers, took drugs, etc. I never saw any emphasis on her being an American and her co-defendant is Italian.
    The original sentences are consistent, Guede got 30 years, Knox 26 and Sallicido 25.
    I can understand anti-American sentiment towards US goverment policy, but to translate that to influencing a criminal case against an individual is a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I think the fact that Guede immediately went on the run and had to be extradited back to Italy is very incriminating. However, that gormless half-smile that constantly plays on Knox's face is unbelievable!

I sat on a jury for a theft before and even then I found the courtroom so intimidating I could barely think straight. I know people have different coping mechanisms but I find it astounding that she is able to smile in those circumstances. I think her lack of solemnity shows a real lack of respect for the whole process, not to mention for the poor girl who was murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Jess16 wrote: »
    I think the fact that Guede immediately went on the run and had to be extradited back to Italy is very incriminating. However, that gormless half-smile that constantly plays on Knox's face is unbelievable!

I sat on a jury for a theft before and even then I found the courtroom so intimidating I could barely think straight. I know people have different coping mechanisms but I find it astounding that she is able to smile in those circumstances. I think her lack of solemnity shows a real lack of respect for the whole process, not to mention for the poor girl who was murdered.

That's a bit harsh! I'm a nervous grinner myself- it's horrible but I know how impossible it is to stop (especially the more conscious you are of doing it) so I try not to judge apparently inappropriate emotion in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

BQQ wrote: »
    the whole police force in Perugia, in collusion with the prosecution and judiciary, are lying, destroying computer harddrives etc. And for what? To put two innocent people in prison for life, of course.

The prosecution is the police. That is one of the main issues with the Italian system, the lead man directing the police investigation was also the person who lead the prosecution.

We have that separation precisely to avoid issues like in the Knox trial, where the prosecutor seemed to be obsessed with satanic cults (that is has been presented as a motive in a large number of his recent cases) and uses this obsession to lead the investigation to a particular conclusion, inventing a motive as he went.

It is not at all unlikely that both the police and the prosecution team danced to Mignini's drum and to save him and the police force from further embarrassment.

I don't think she will be released, Italian justice system is obsessed with saving face, judges are loathed to over rule other judgements. Releasing Knox would cause a huge complication for the Guede sentence.

I think she will get a reduced sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I hear what you're saying, curiousity makes me wonder if Rudy was acting alone, what was his motive?

Robbery gone wrong. That was always what happened. The idea that Knox was involved only existed in the warped mind of the prosecutor who was obsessed with seeing satanic cults everywhere he went. Knox had nothing to do with the murder. The Italian police harassed a confession out of her and she was convicted because she was naive, foreign and pretty.

This trial has been a real eye opener to the ridiculous state of the Italian justice system, you expect this sort of thing in 3rd world countries, not a leading Western power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

For those who are convinced that she is 100% guilty can you just for a minute allow yourselves to imagine that what she said in regards to her interogation is true and that she said what she said in relation to Patrick Lumumba as a result of that.

Then read the following....

Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito and Patrick Lumumba were arrested in Perugia Italy, on November 6th. 2007.
    The police held a press conference stating that they had evidence that all three killed Meredith because she refused to participate in a sex game. They boasted that the case was solid. They were even bold enough to announce, "case closed."

The problem was, Patrick Lumumba had an unshakable alibi. There was no evidence at all linking him to the murder. He was released.
    As the investigation progressed, investigators discovered a bloody handprint at the crime scene. Fingerprints taken from the handprint led the police to an African man, Rudy Guede. Guede left his handprint in Meredith's blood, on a pillow at the crime scene. His DNA was found on and inside Meredith's body. He also left his DNA on Meredith's purse. His DNA was also linked to feces left in the toilet.

Rudy Guede had fled to Germany and was extradited back to Italy. The evidence against Rudy Guede was overwhelming.
    At this time the authorities led by prosecutor Mignini should have realized their mistake. The murder wasn't a group sex game gone wrong. Rudy Guede attacked and murdered Meredith Kercher. He acted alone.

The authorities refused to admit their mistake. They simply pulled Patrick Lumumba out of their fantasy and plugged in Rudy Guede. The prosecution pushed forward to prove that Meredith was murdered by this "revised" trio in a sex game gone wrong.

Rudy Guede chose a fast-track trial. Because he chose the fast-track trial, he was tried separately from Amanda and Raffaele.Guede was found guilty of murdering Meredith Kercher. He was sentenced to 30 years in prison. His conviction was later confirmed on appeal. His sentence was reduced to 16 years.

http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/Prosecutionscase.html

Yes that comes from a pro Amanda website but the details in regards to their public announcement of the case being closed and Rudy's DNA are all true, how can you say that there is not a chance that she is innocent?

The prosecuter was in the room when Amanda was interogated, he had a theory and he ran with it.

Rudy Guede being the sole killer is the most obvious explanation and I for one find it particulary sad that he will now only have a 16 year sentence all because the prosecuter wanted to paint Amanda as the ringleader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Anyone know the best place to track the court proceedings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16081477

Latest update: Decision in Amanda Knox appeal expected at 2030

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8803239/Amanda-Knox-verdict-live-updates.html

I think she'll be acquitted. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Amanda Knox ?

* thumbs down ....drags finger across throat *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'm reading the original verdict (translated into English). One section of it says:

AMANDA MARIE KNOX [...] falsely implicated DIYA LUMUMBA, called "Patrick", in the murder of young MEREDITH KERCHER, with the intention of gaining impunity for everybody, and in particular for RUDY HERMANN GUEDE, who, like LUMUMBA, is also black.

Is that last bit really necessary. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Foxy Knoxy is guilty I think but I have a slight suspicion that she will walk..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

Jury has reached a verdict. Will be read at 8.30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Don't bet on it. The Italian justice system is notoriously error prone.

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/84799,people,news,amanda-knox-an-american-innocent-abroad-or-getting-away-with-murder
    If Knox is acquitted of murdering her 21-year-old British roommate Meredith Kercher - and many observers in Italy believe it's likely - she will go down in history as one of more than 4 million victims of judicial errors or unjust detention in post-war Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Thrill wrote: »

or corrupt like f**k like the rest of the country from Silvio 'I got some teen hotties outside right now' Berlusconi down to the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If she is innocent ( I don't believe she is ) then you would want the right thing to happen ... if not then you want her to do the time and for the victims family to see justice been done .It's just horrible to think that murderers can walk free then expolit the situation to make money ...as Knox of course already plans to do if she walks away .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Knox is definitely innocent. She is naive and not very clever, but not a murderer. She had every opportunity to go back to the States (as her parents requested) even after a couple of interrogations, but she stayed because she wanted to help the investigation!! She was put under pressure by the police firstly to sign that Lumumba did it (after the police told her it was him) and then that she did it. Again neither were very clever or very strong as a person but she was a 20-year old girl put under pressure. There is no evidence other than that the police found a kitchen knife in her boyfriend's apartment - with her DNA!! How shocking! Not. Of coursen things in her boyfriend's apartment will have her DNA.

Another annoying thing was how things are reported. It was said she went to buy underwear shopping with her boyfriend after the murder. What wasn't pointed out was that the police took all her clothes for investigative purposes, so she had to buy new ones. The fact the police failed to put this into context tells its own story. The cartwheels came in the context of her sitting at a police station for 12 hours and wanting to do some exercise to keep her mind sharp - again, pretty normal. Smiling in the courtroom - as far as I remember the trial lasted a long time - its not far fetched to think someone might make a joke to lighten the mood at some point or maybe she had heard some good news regarding a case. I would expect her to smile at least once the whole time she was in court - again the context is all wrong.

Again, she could have left Italy during this at any time (she hadn't been arrested yet) but she stayed with it to help the investigation (while plenty of other people went home!)

Is there anything else suspicious?

I really hope she is found innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

Has anyone else wrenched one out over Amanda Knox?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

In before the real verdict

Not guilty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can someone give me a quick summary of what's about to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Matthew23 wrote: »
    Has anyone else wrenched one out over Amanda Knox?

A fingernail with a pair of pliars? :confused:

Not me.

Dont think anyone here can predict the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Was she ever psychologically evaluated? She comes across as being a teeny tiny bit of a sociopath.

Mazeire wrote: »
    Was she ever psychologically evaluated? She comes across as being a teeny tiny bit of a sociopath.

Why? In what way? She comes across a bit naive by looking at the evidence; this is backed up by anyone who met her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

From the telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/8803239/Amanda-Knox-verdict-live-updates.html

20:10 To remind readers, there are three possible outcomes for the defendants:
    1) Verdict is upheld: In this case, Knox and Sollecito will continue serving their respective 26 and 25-year jail sentences. However, prosecutor Manuela Comodi has called for their sentences to be increased to life.
    2) Verdict is overturned
    3) Verdict is partially overturned, with a decrease in sentence (verdicts can be upheld on some counts but not others, this may result in a decrease in their sentences).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

People who met her could be biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Why? In what way? She comes across a bit naive by looking at the evidence; this is backed up by anyone who met her.

primal and amanda sitting in a tree
    K-I-S-S-I-N-G
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Mazeire wrote: »
    People who met her could be biased.

A lot of the stuff said about her had no context, as I said above. Most of her behaviour was normal. Being caught smiling once in a very long trial hardly makes her a sociopath. More like trying to stay sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

nagirrac wrote: »
    Sorry I missed that in your earlier post.

Anything is possible I suppose, and I accept that some anti-American sentiment exists in many countries. However, I cannot accept a conspiracy involving the police and prosection team in Pegulia based on being anti-American. I just don't see it, the prosection led media campaign against her focussed on the fact that she was sex crazed, "Foxy Knoxy", many lovers, took drugs, etc. I never saw any emphasis on her being an American and her co-defendant is Italian.
    The original sentences are consistent, Guede got 30 years, Knox 26 and Sallicido 25.
    I can understand anti-American sentiment towards US goverment policy, but to translate that to influencing a criminal case against an individual is a bit of a stretch.

You missed it again. I was referring to the heavy sentence that she got, and not the case itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement