Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens after you give birth

Options
  • 24-09-2011 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi so I'm having my baby in Sligo maternity and just wondering what happens after I give birth? What routine procedures are given to baby and mum? What usually happens?
    I am writing my birth plan so would like to have an idea of what hospitals do routinely after birth to make sure there is nothing I don't want or some things I do want.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Baby gets a shot of Vitamin K, so if you don't want that, or you want it given orally put it in your birth plan. Also, they usually give you an injection of syntocin to help deliver the placenta quicker, so again, if that's not wanted and you want to birth it in your own time you need to put that there too.

They asked me when I gave birth to my second daughter whether I consented to both before they happened though so you might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Best to talk to the midwife next time you're in or at your antenatal classes. Both of what was mentioned need consent (like everything else in medicine) but there are reasons for both and both are seen as a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

+1 to what January said.

Other than that, your time in hosp is up to you. Immediately after the birth you're free to have shower & bonding time w/ babe (assuming no post-delivery conditions preclude them) and I found the midwives & staff at Sligo very supportive. Tea/toast were offered after each of my births, and then they helped me get settled at my bed.

If you choose to stay at hosp, the consultants will be around one time each morning to check on you & babe, and the rest of the day is up to you. They offer formula if you want it, or they leave you to breastfeed if that's what you choose. If you need help, ask for it.

I was rhesus negative so before I left hosp they offered the anti-d injection, which I was free to take or leave.

I found visiting hours to be very open - dad could be there just about all day (except exclusion hours of 1-3pm). When I was there (2 years ago now) we could have whatever visitors I wanted as long as it didn't get out of hand, and there was a day area where you could go w/ babe if you wanted to get out of the room.

I've said this before & I hope you're finding it the same as you become more familiar with Sligo...the staff there were very professional and helpful if you need it but would butt out if you didn't. Sure I had some nurses/midwives give me contradicting advice re: cosleeping, etc, but they didn't have any "policies" that would prevent me doing what I wished.
    there are reasons for both and both are seen as a necessity
    Re: the syncotin injection, that is done purely for convenience and is not necessary unless there is an overriding situation that they need to manage. It is not (in most cases) a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I gave birth in the rotunda but id imagine its pretty much the same in most hospitals. When baby came out they put him on my chest for a min then took him over to the examination table and checked him over, while that was happening i had the injection for the placenta then the midwife helped to give me a little wash while the doctor fixed me up (i had an episitomy so needed stitches) while that was being done dad had baby. Once they were finished with me they brought tea and toast and put baby on my chest for some skin to skin. They left us for about 30mins to an hour like that. Then thet brought us up to the ward where the midwife on duty helped settle us in to bed and tried to help me breastfeed. I was told i could go for a shower but decided to leave it for a while, so they pretty much left us to it,which i hear is what most hospitals staff do so if you have a question or need help with anything, do ask. Hope that helps. Best of luck. Btw, didnt mention vitiaman d shot etc as its already been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks guys. I knew about the vit K not having the injection. I will be having delayed cord clamping after research and talking with Obstetrician from another hospital I don't think its necessary. Also will be having natural 3rd stage labour.
    Just wondering if there was any other injections or drops given straight after birth?

Ayla I'm finding the hospital fine so far only been for 1 check up and my scan have another check up start of October. Have heard good things about midwives there which makes me feel better my main worry about labour is being in hospital and not in control or pushed to be part of uniform system with time constraints if you know what. I trust midwives know what they are doing but I also trust my body and knowing how I feel and the research I have done. I was trying to have homebirth but wasn't able to get a midwife. The good comments I've heard about Sligo are making me feel a lot better :)

• Advertisement

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Also will be having natural 3rd stage labour.

Try to remind yourself that labour is a normal but very natural experience, and as such doesn't always go by your plan. It will help you enormously if you think "i will try to have a natural 3rd stage labour" instead of "I will be having." I am not being dramatic here, I also very much wanted a homebirth but instead did perfectly fine in hospital. I had the experience I had hoped (not *planned*) for and did not have even a drop of drugs/gas or forced anything.

Just do yourself a favour and hope for instead of plan on anything...that way if anything unexpected does happen you'll be more flexible.
    Just wondering if there was any other injections or drops given straight after birth?
    As mentioned before, the synoctin and vit k are the only injections offered post birth, and both are refusable. Also, leaving the cord to stop pulsing is acceptable (happened on my first b/c it was in my birth plan, but on my second they just did it automatically b/c i was only in hosp for 15 mins & there was neither time nor inclination to talk birth plans) :D
    my main worry about labour is being in hospital and not in control or pushed to be part of uniform system with time constraints if you know what. I trust midwives know what they are doing but I also trust my body and knowing how I feel and the research I have done.
    My experiences at Sligo were very positive...I never felt under any time pressure (ie: you're not progressing fast enough, etc) and all of the staff both before and after the birth were all very supportive of my decisions. During both labours they did offer pain meds, but did not even blink when I refused them...they mentioned them only in case I had changed my mind.

I know that the concerns over hosp has been on your mind for awhile now, but I cannot say enough that - if your labour is anything like mine were - Sligo will fulfill all of your hopes for a happy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

I just want to reiterate what Ayla has said. A birth plan is fantastic and positive projection is too but allow some wiggle room. My labour got very complicated towards the end and I have to have certain interventions. I had intended to have a pain relief free labour but that didn't happen and I wasn't a bit concerned about it. But I have had friends that have felt very let down by their labour experience as it was not as they had hoped.

Also just in case it is your intention, I breastfed no problem after an epidural and pethidine. I know sometimes pain relief can cause problems but it didn't for me.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I really hope your labour goes as planned. It is the most amazing experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ayla wrote: »
    Just do yourself a favour and hope for instead of plan on anything...that way if anything unexpected does happen you'll be more flexible.

+1 on this OP, so many things can happen in labour that it is impossible to plan it 100%. I ended up having an emergency section and I found it really upsetting as I had such a set idea about how things would go and never thought in a million years that I wouldn't have a natural birth. It's great to have a plan, but it's also good to be prepared in case that plan doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    I will be having delayed cord clamping after research and talking with Obstetrician from another hospital I don't think its necessary. Also will be having natural 3rd stage labour.

its good that you know what you want and having a birth plan certainley makes it all feel a bit more organised and that your wishes and concerns arwe being heard. I also had a birth plan but a few things happened in my labour that made some of the things on my birth plan impossible so my advice to you would be to try think of it as a list of things you would like to happen and be prepared for the fact it may not go as planned. Otherwise you may feel let down. I hope im not speaking out of turn in saying that, i just dont want you to feel like i did when it all went out the window! For example i really did not want an episiotomy or an instrumental delivery,but it turned out i had to have both.. Anyway Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

After my sons birth, the midwives let the cord stop pulsating and even got me to touch it so I could feel it stop before they cut it. In hindsight (because it was all a blur at the time) I was very grateful that they did. I had it in my birth preferences though. I got the synoctin (sp?) injection; I hadn't mentioned a preference in my plan, I'd only used gas and air during labour so I was exhausted. I delivered the placenta in minutes after. I consented to the vitamin k shot. My husband held our son while I was stitched. Then they took my son away to do a test as he was delivered 18 hours after my waters broke. I had a shower then we had some tea and toast. My son was brought back and a midwife latched him on. We were brought to the ward about 2.5 hours after delivery. Only my husband was allowed to visit for the 3 days I was there but I was getting used to breastfeeding so was very glad of the privacy. My husband could only visit during visiting hours otherwise it was just my son and I getting to know each other. That was in the Coombe.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone for your comments all are helpful :) I feel the more prepared I am mentally, emotionally and physically that better my birth experience will be and the less likely any complications and interventions will be but of course I know that birth can be unpredictable and things don't always go the way they should no matter how much you prepare, that's just life and nature.

I really am feeling better about going to hospital the more good things I hear about Sligo. I haven't actually heard a bad story about the midwives and care there. I keep hearing how the midwives treat everyone and their birth as individuals which is great. I have never been in hospital before and think this has some to do with my fear.

Thanks again for all your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Hi Hobbitfeet, I am also due to give birth in Sligo General around end dec/beginning of Jan. I had my little boy there nearly 2 years ago and I had a good experience. After the birth the baby was taken away, cleaned up etc and then given back to me. Me and my husband were then given tea and toast and left for about 2 hours in the delivery room before being transferred to the maternity ward. I also had a shower during this time. I was in a room of 6 beds but I'd say for most of the time I was there there was only about 4 of them occupied at any one time. The maternity ward gets closed down for about 3 hours a day (12pm - 3pm I think..) for mothers and babies to rest. Overall my experience was very good, at the time I was vegetarian and the catering staff went out of their way to make sure I got nice meals etc. I had to stay in for 5 days due to a couple of minor issues but was always treated very well and the nurses were always around to help or for advice day or night if you rang the buzzer.

I hope your experience will be as good as mine was. If you want to ask about anything specific I'll answer as best as I can. :)

Thanks cottontail. How long was baby taken away for? Was he taken to another room? I don't really want baby taken away or washed can be wiped clean but would like to hold off on washing until we have left the hospital.
    Do you know how soon you are allowed to go home if you have no problems? We are living only 5 mins from hospital and I would prefer to be at home

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I don't actually remember how long he was taken away for - sorry! I think I was still a bit high from the birth and the gas and air, but it wasn't long. they cleaned him up and dressed him in the little babygro we had for him etc. I don't think he was taken to another room but again I can't really remember (damn drugs :D)

I saw people in the ward coming in and going home the day after so I'd say if they give you the all clear then you're probably free to go home the next day but it might be best to check with the hospital on that one. If you go to the ante natal classes you could ask the midwives there, or if you meet some of the midwives in an ante natal appointment you could ask them.

I don't think they wash babies anymore as it's now generally thought that the vernix is good for conditioning their skin. I know my son only got a wipe down and had his first bath in his second day in hospital.

I don't think they wash babies anymore as it's now generally thought that the vernix is good for conditioning their skin. I know my son only got a wipe down and had his first bath in his second day in hospital.

Good yes the vernix is very good for newborn skin and is antibacterial so good for keeping all those germs away especially in hospital

For both of my girls, as soon as they were out the midwife put them right on my belly where they sat until the cord was done. After that there was a very minor rub down (just to get the worst off) and then the babe was put right back on me. My hubby & I dressed the girls, but that was probably at least 30 mins or so after birth and was at our own discretion.

As far as bathing, I asked a nurse to show me how on my first before we left hosp, but even that was a couple days after birth. I don't think I bothered w/ my second girl b/c I had the logistics worked out by then. If you didn't ask for help you didn't get it, so if you don't do a bath before you leave no one will even notice.

As far as when you can leave, I was under the impression that you could leave as soon as you wanted to assuming there were no medical issues they wanted to monitor. That meant that as soon as you & babe are examined by consultant (be that an hour later or the next day as you're under the schedule of the medical team) you can leave.

+
    Re: the syncotin injection, that is done purely for convenience and is not necessary unless there is an overriding situation that they need to manage. It is not (in most cases) a necessity.

Not true, it has nothing to do with "convenience" and everything to do with hugely decreasing the risk of post partum haemorrhage.

Edit: Source if anyone's interested.

Where is that source from JamesL85?

Not true, it has nothing to do with "convenience" and everything to do with hugely decreasing the risk of post partum haemorrhage.

Edit: Source if anyone's interested.

Oh good, here we go again. :rolleyes:

If I'm reading that chart right James, it appears to me that this huge risk you are noting is actually a Relative Risk between 0.1 and 1 on a scale of 10. Wether those numbers are a scale or a percentage is not clear, but regardless, less than 1 is surely not a huge risk. Let's not go scaremongering here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was very happy with the treatment we got in hospital after my daughters birth. She was examined by the doctor (as she was early) put on my chest. Then lightly rubbed down and dressed.

The only part I hated was the midwife washing me. It was mortifying. I couldn't make it to the shower. This time I've told my partner thats his job.

Also I dont drink tea, so bring you own nice drink into labour if you dont too.

We were left in the labour room for about 45 mins. The nurses couldnt do enough for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't remember who dressed my son...how awful is that :eek:

He was just taken away and brought back in a while later, I can't even remember if he was dressed at that stage or just in a blanket. The only thing I do remember is I asked the midwife if he was okay and she said 'well we wouldn't have brought him back to you if he wasn't' :rolleyes::D

January wrote: »
    Where is that source from JamesL85?

It's from a meta-analysis of five different trials that was carried out by the cochrane library. Read more here.

Oh good, here we go again. :rolleyes:

If I'm reading that chart right James, it appears to me that this huge risk you are noting is actually a Relative Risk between 0.1 and 1 on a scale of 10. Wether those numbers are a scale or a percentage is not clear, but regardless, less than 1 is surely not a huge risk. Let's not go scaremongering here.

A relative risk of .1 means something is ten times less likely to happen. I know that graph isn't very clear. This table is a bit easier to read. Basically active management of the third stage reduces the risk of PPH by about two thirds. If you look at the NNT (numbers needed to treat), it shows on average hom many patients you need to treat to prevent a PPH. It's 12 for PPH >500ml and 55 for PPH >1000ml.

Those may seem like good odds to you, but you have to remember that PPH is a potentially life threatening emergency. The blood flow through the uterine arteries is 600ml per minute. At that rate a woman will bleed to death in just over five minutes.

If we take CUMH, the busiest maternity hospital in the country as an example, with 9000 deliveries a year and imagine the scenario if women weren't offered active management of the third stage. It would mean that on average, two women per day would have a 500ml bleed, and 2 a week would have a 1000ml bleed.

Yes, PPH can be stopped, but prevention is a lot better than cure as sometimes, once the tap has been turned on it can be very difficult to turn off and can require extreme measures, up to and including uterine artery ligation and/or hysterectomy.

You stated in an earlier post that active management of the third stage was only carried out for the sake of "convenience". It isn't. You have been misinformed and now you are misinforming others.

All these adverse outcomes, for what? Most women don't even notice the midwives/doctors delivering the placenta, as they have their babies in their arms and are happily bonding.

You stated in an earlier post that active management of the third stage was only carried out for the sake of "convenience". It isn't. You have been misinformed and now you are misinforming others.

Ok, fair enough. I was informed that it was a matter of convenience, which made sense to me. Through your insistence otherwise I've been looking into it a bit today and I can see your point. Doesn't mean I would advocate a standardised habit of actively managing everyone's third stage - there are too few studies done across the spectrum of women to determine whether it's necessary or the best thing for everyone.

Yes, PPH has claimed too many women's lives, but looking at the studies it is most always a problem in developing nations. Diet and anemia seem to be factors in PPH's cause, therefore since we're blessed to live in a nation of relative health and proper nutrition I would be suspect of these studies that say that active management [of Irish women] would reduce PPH by 2/3rds.

All these adverse outcomes, for what? Most women don't even notice the midwives/doctors delivering the placenta, as they have their babies in their arms and are happily bonding.

Now, for this I completely agree. The third stage after my first daughter was completely natural but the third stage after my second daughter was managed (no time to talk birth plans). Honestly, I barely remember either...small potatoes at the end of the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sambagal

This is probably going to sound completely stupid, but I'm absolutely terrified of what's coming because I've never given birth before and I dot know what happens directly after baby is delivered. I'm due to deliver in holles street in march 2014 and have myself in a complete state at this stage because I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I will be on my own for the whole thing so don't have a birth partner or anyone like that. I'm sorry if it sounds really stupid but everywhere I read says that dad does this and dad does that, it's just me and my little bubs and I'm terrified

You have no birth partner at all? Would you ask a close friend or relative? It doesn't have to be your babies father or even another man.

Would you consider getting a doula?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I have had 3 babies ad although my partner was with me I would have perfered to do it by myself.
    The midwives are fantastic and will be there every step of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sambagal

Hi there, thanks for answering me. No I have no birth partner at all. His family don't want to know because of our situation, you see he was married ad split up with his wife then we got together, they never wanted to know, we lost our first baby in January then I fell pregnant again in July. It came out that he had cheated on me with his ex wife and got her pregnant she delivered a healthy boy in September and me and him have split up, ed working things out with her so I don't exist anymore. my family don't want to know insofar as my brother and sister hasn't spoken to me for over a year and don't want to know. My mum and dad have said they will support me after the baby is born so I can go back to work but they don't want to be involved. I don't have very many friends but the ones I do, while they are great and supportive and really want to help where they can, they won't be in a position to be with me in march with work and their own families, so I really am alone and know nothing and am very scared because I don't know what happens as soon as she's born and what I have to do. Or what the midwives do. I'm sorry I know I sound really stupid but I'm so scared.

Advertisement