Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Interesting comments from Duff in his ESPN column, which was written before Axl's middle-fingered salute. Duff is as level-headed and as humble as ever. The man is a total legend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=7799013

Here are some more comments from his Seattle Weekly column which I think he wrote in the knowledge that no red-headed members of GNR would be at the Hall of Fame awards.

"I'm on a plane to Cleveland for a performance tomorrow night of my musical book-reading for It's So Easy. These things make me extremely nervous, as reading in front of people has turned out to be one of those things I just don't feel too comfortable with. I think a lot of people are coming because my band, GNR, will be inducted into the so-fancy Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    And on THAT night, I will honor not myself or the chicken dinner they will most surely provide, but I will be honoring all those people who call themselves the fans of our group called Guns N' Roses.
    Adversity has followed this band since its inception. I get it. That seems to be my sort of "lot" in life . . . and I think that maybe through this whole sort of rub and honesty that GNR portrayed in a very real way in those early records indeed may have helped countless others overcome varying adversities in their own lives. It's a wonderful and poignant thing to hear from different fans from around this globe. I hope that I can do you all proud.
    In the end, it's not about who does or doesn't show up from the original band, and I back whatever reason this guy or that has for not coming. It's all good. The songs are the important bit here . . . and the message they most certainly still must carry."

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2012/04/cleveland_will_rock_its_always.php#more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As someone on this thread said before, why can't they just be like the Eagles, and stay in separate dressing rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tweeted by duff 20minutes ago on behalf of izzy.
    Izzy's Statement:

I have waited up to this point to see what would become of the GNR induction into RRHOF. I would like to say THANK YOU and GRACIAS to RRHOF for the acknowledgement of our works over the years as a band. BIG THANKS to all my bandmates who helped get us to where we are today. And, of course, THANK YOU to all of the people on this planet (including, but not limited to, the entire universe and beyond, etc., etc., etc.) who have supported Guns N' Roses from day one. Adios, Amigos!

Izzy Stradlin
    LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!

Class from Izzy, as usual. It's a real pity he's not going (I assume he's not going judging from his parting words in that statement) because I doubt we'll ever get another chance to see him, Slash, Duff and Steven together again. Anyway, here's another classic clip featuring Mr Stradlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

From Joe Bonamassa's facebook:
    What a surreal night... Too many highlights... Obviously Playing with Derek , Billy and Dusty was a blinder.. But to see how happy Steven Adler was to play again with his old friends was the best... That and Tom Dowd being inducted... Thanks for the invite RRHOF!!

There is very little online yet about the induction... But sounds like it went off fairly well. Slash, Duff & Adler played with Miles Kennedy. Not sure if Sorum played...

Glad it was a success & not the meltdown I was expecting.

• Advertisement

Ha ha...

They all played + Gilby, with Miles Kennedy singing. But Dizzy Reed didn't play...

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=172616

Penny for Axl's thoughts this morning :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

I have never posted in here before so im sorry if this has been asked, but do ye reckon Axl's turning down the rrhof is the final nail in the coffin of a proper reunion? Personally i never thought it would happen anyway but i guess if it was ever going to happen then it was probably at that ceremony.

icarus86 wrote: »
    I have never posted in here before so im sorry if this has been asked, but do ye reckon Axl's turning down the rrhof is the final nail in the coffin of a proper reunion? Personally i never thought it would happen anyway but i guess if it was ever going to happen then it was probably at that ceremony.

I don't think a reunion is likely.

IMHO, Axl seems to consider the original members as hired hands, just the same as his current group. I think he believes he is the reason for the groups success and the central figure...

As one of their original fans (I discovered them when I was 10/11) it was the whole group dynamic that intrigued me. In fact at the time I related more to Izzy & Duff than any of the others - I think he needs to realise that it wasn't all about him, but about a place in time and a group that gelled creatively being in the right place at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

icarus86 wrote: »
    Axl has always maintained he had no interest in a reunion any time soon. Really, why should he? He has his current band that are getting some of the best reviews of the entire bands history. The only thing he hasnt done is stick out a few more albums. If he can do that, it'll put an end to the cover band stick that people like to beat him with. He appears to be happier now than he has been in quite some time, going to the RRHoF would only have opened the question of a reunion again, a question he has been trying to get rid of for years. A reunion was never going to happen, at best, it would have gotten them all talking again but nothing more.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He has his current band that are getting some of the best reviews of the entire bands history.

Can you qualify this? No doubt they are some very highly talented musicians and are recognised as such. But... they haven't produced material even close to that of the original five, they (in a band dynamic) seem to excel at playing music rather than creating it...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Can you qualify this? No doubt they are some very highly talented musicians and are recognised as such. But... they haven't produced material even close to that of the original five, they (in a band dynamic) seem to excel at playing music rather than creating it...
    The vast majority of the reviews for their live shows are great. Obviously you'll still find a few negatives, but taken as a whole they are some of the best they've gotten. Compare them (the reviews) to 2006 and you would think it's a completly different band playing completly different songs.

We cant judge them on studio work yet though. I'm talking about live shows which is what the majority of rock bands focus on.

We cant judge them on studio work yet though. I'm talking about live shows which is what the majority of rock bands focus on.
    But rock bands need to have songs to play... and yes, we can judge them on their studio work so far.

But rock bands need to have songs to play... and yes, we can judge them on their studio work so far.

It's not a fair comparison imo. The current line up is different than the one that did the majority of Chinese Democracy. You can partially judge them if you want, but I dont think you can compare them until we get another album or two so we can see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I don't think a reunion is likely.

IMHO, Axl seems to consider the original members as hired hands, just the same as his current group. I think he believes he is the reason for the groups success and the central figure...

As one of their original fans (I discovered them when I was 10/11) it was the whole group dynamic that intrigued me. In fact at the time I related more to Izzy & Duff than any of the others - I think he needs to realise that it wasn't all about him, but about a place in time and a group that gelled creatively being in the right place at the right time.

You're dead right about Axl seeing the original members as hired hands too. Its. an indication of just how humungous the guy's ego is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Cheers for the replies, like i said i did'nt think it was likely myself but was just wondering what you all thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm happy that Gilby got the chance to play with them, even if he wasn't inducted, it's a nice gesture on their part because he did share a lot with them during their Illusion tour.

I didn't think Izzy would be involved, mainly because of his aversion from the limelight (I'm still astonished they managed to get him to have that short lived solo band after he originally left GNR). Dizzy not turning up wasn't surprising either, I mean Billie Joe was hardly looking for him when they inducted him, and he's more a hired hand (hired personally by Axl, unlike Clarke) then anything else

Axl probably decided that there was just too much bad blood beside himself and Slash. Either that, or he felt the media would spin the entire thing around, and he would never be able to constructively handle the situation. He probably would have turned up if he'd had the chance to speak with Slash beforehand and they'd have broken the ice.

I'm surprised people started booing when Axl's name was mentioned, whether you loathe him or hate him, he is as much a part of GNR as any of the other members - maybe, my default a little more, because he's the lead singer.

I'm happy that Gilby got the chance to play with them, even if he wasn't inducted, it's a nice gesture on their part because he did share a lot with them during their Illusion tour.

I didn't think Izzy would be involved, mainly because of his aversion from the limelight (I'm still astonished they managed to get him to have that short lived solo band after he originally left GNR). Dizzy not turning up wasn't surprising either, I mean Billie Joe was hardly looking for him when they inducted him, and he's more a hired hand (hired personally by Axl, unlike Clarke) then anything else

Axl probably decided that there was just too much bad blood beside himself and Slash. Either that, or he felt the media would spin the entire thing around, and he would never be able to constructively handle the situation. He probably would have turned up if he'd had the chance to speak with Slash beforehand and they'd have broken the ice.

I'm surprised people started booing when Axl's name was mentioned, whether you loathe him or hate him, he is as much a part of GNR as any of the other members - maybe, my default a little more, because he's the lead singer.
    Do you really think Axl and Slash will bury the hatchet after all this time? Doubt it....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Do you really think Axl and Slash will bury the hatchet after all this time? Doubt it....

The only place them 2 will bury the hatchet is in each others fcukin heads

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    The only place them 2 will bury the hatchet is in each others fcukin heads

LOL

Matt Sorum went on for a bit too long I thought. His speech was nearly as long as the rest of them put together! In fairness that was a good line about Steven and how was it possible to get kicked out of Guns N'Roses for doing too many drugs :pac:

Great to see Gilby get to play with them too. Although I haven't seen the performance it sounds like the night was a real triumph. Axl will probably try and sue their asses for 'brand theft' or something preposterous.

Can't wait to see the TV broadcast!

Matt Sorum went on for a bit too long I thought. His speech was nearly as long as the rest of them put together! In fairness that was a good line about Steven and how was it possible to get kicked out of Guns N'Roses for doing too many drugs :pac:

Great to see Gilby get to play with them too. Although I haven't seen the performance it sounds like the night was a real triumph. Axl will probably try and sue their asses for 'brand theft' or something preposterous.

Can't wait to see the TV broadcast!

Brand Theft Auto! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I really hope the original Guns 'n' Roses do reform. I was listening to The Replacements earlier today and thinking, how on earth did Tommy Stinson end up in this band? He deserves so much better.

It's not a fair comparison imo. The current line up is different than the one that did the majority of Chinese Democracy. You can partially judge them if you want, but I dont think you can compare them until we get another album or two so we can see what they have.

Chinese Democracy took over a decade to make. Too long for silly delay excuses to wash. It has been over 3 years since Chinese Democracy was released. Where is the follow up? Thought they had enough material for 2 albums? And really they should have had enough material for half a dozen.
    Whether you like his solo stuff or not look at how many albums Izzy has released. Duff & Slash managed more on their own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Myles Kennedy >>>> W. Axl Rose!

That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Slashs and Duffs version of Guns N Roses.
    Myles Kennedy Vocals
    Slash-Guitar
    Gilby Clarke- Guitar
    Duff- Bass
    Matt Sourom or Steven Adler- Drums

would be an intresting tour but a certain Axl Rose would prevent it happening.

Anyway Axls Version is the closet we will get in Dublin this year

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Myles Kennedy Vocals
    Slash-Guitar
    Gilby Clarke- Guitar
    Duff- Bass

How would Axl prevent it? Obviously they couldn't call themselves Guns N'Roses, but they could tour under something like "original members of Guns N'Roses"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Myles Kennedy Vocals
    Slash-Guitar
    Gilby Clarke- Guitar
    Duff- Bass

Id be happy with that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Myles Kennedy Vocals
    Slash-Guitar
    Gilby Clarke- Guitar
    Duff- Bass
    Matt Sorum or Steven Adler- Drums

Now you're talking.:)

Advertisement