Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowering of drink drive limit - Nanny state strikes again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mikemac wrote: »
    He did. Had the occasional beer

Never smoked though

He was probably pretending to drink beer to suck up to the Bavarians, and as for smoking, he did manage to have a lot of people smoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Mickeling chose to live in the country seven miles from the pub. Move closer. Stay over night in town. There are taxis in rural areas.

And are you serioulsy saying that man who cannot walk home in a straight line is still safe enough to drive?

Ever time mickeling leaves the pub in a car, everyone else worries that they'll be at someone else's wake nake week.

In order for Mickerling to abide by your suggestions,
    I would think he would require a high paying job,
    as he would spend a feckin fortune on taxi fares.

Or he could leave the house that he has lived in for maybe 50 years and move to another,
    with moving house surely being an enjoyable process for an 86 year old man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Drink Driving is for idiots, if you cant afford a taxi or arrange dd then dont go out.

on the other hand people would be alot less angry about this if regional and city councils stopped wasting money and actually put in proper public transport in every village, town and city in Ireland instead of spending vast amounts of money going abroad to ''study'' how other countries do things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    In order for Mickerling to abide by your suggestions,
    I would think he would require a high paying job,
    as he would spend a feckin fortune on taxi fares.

Or he could leave the house that he has lived in for maybe 50 years and move to another,
    with moving house surely being an enjoyable process for an 86 year old man.
    But he can spend a fortune on drink every night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

foxyboxer wrote: »
    There shouldn't even BE a limit.
    FatherLen wrote: »
    zero tolerance.

I disagree, but not so people can have a cheeky pint at lunchtime or after work. If you're out on a session the night before and you still have a tiny amount of alcohol in your system the next day(not the next morning) it would be too harsh to lose your licence.

Anyone that drinks and drives is a complete muppet in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

But he can spend a fortune on drink every night?

Last time I checked a pint cost around €4.

One pint, plus petrol expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mkdon05 wrote: »

Its the whole getting done the next morning is the real sickener.

Why? Whats the differnce? If you've got the same amount of alcohol in your system the morning after being locked as if you drove home the night before after 3 pints, is it not the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Mickeling chose to live in the country seven miles from the pub. Move closer. Stay over night in town. There are taxis in rural areas.

And are you serioulsy saying that man who cannot walk home in a straight line is still safe enough to drive?

Ever time mickeling leaves the pub in a car, everyone else worries that they'll be at someone else's wake nake week.

He cant stay in town as his elderly wife is bed ridden.

There is only one taxi available and costs 20 euro to bring him home as the taxi driver has to be covered for the return trip.
    Anyway, Mickeling would have to wait thill the publican is finished serving and cleaning up as he drives the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0922/drink.html

Why do we have to conform with everything that the EU do?

We have politicians that are a bunch of sheep, lowering the limit by such a small percentage isn't going to affect those that are drink driving.

If people want to drink drive, they are going to, shouldn't punish the people that want to go for one and drive home.

Absolutely agree 100% with you, there should be no limit. You get caught with alcohol in your system irrespective of amount, whilst in charge of a car, you should get a ten year ban and a three grand fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Mickeling is 86 and lives 7 miles from town. He comes into town every night to enjoy a drink or two and play some cards and chat among the neighbours. This is what keeps Mickeling going. The pub owner assures me that Mickeling could drink 10 pints and get home safely, now Mickeling is looking at having to walk the seven miles, which is extremely dangerous as he may stagger out in front of coming car or maybe stagger into a drain full of brambles and get kilt.
    Every time Mickeling leaves the pub, the publican wonders if the next time he will see Mickeling being the centre of attention at a wake?
    If he were allowed drive home this would not happen. Its all right for city folk who can get taxis home, but out the country they are two a penny, once again a nail in the coffin of the publicans and the traditions of rural society where the pub used to be the hub of the parish.

My parents live 2 miles away from their local in the town. Its far too dangerous to walk home so they park the car at the pub and the pub owner drops them home instead.

He does this for all the patrons who are far away from the pub (about a dozen or so). My parents drink there every weekend as a result of knowing that they will get dropped home. It works both ways, they appreciate the lift and the publican appreciates their business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There is only one taxi available and costs 20 euro to bring him home as the taxi driver has to be covered for the return trip.
    Anyway, Mickeling would have to wait thill the publican is finished serving and cleaning up as he drives the taxi.

Or if he wants to go out that badly he could walk or "stagger".
    Still way safer than driving, particularly for others

According to his well regarded and meticulously researched biography by Professor Ian Kershaw he was fairly abstemious but did drink very very occasionally. There are instances of him drinking wine and beer - he shocked his hosts once by putting sugar in his vintage red wine, this was in the twenties -
    And he was also offered Czech Pilsner beer when he visited Prague after the Nazi invasion. He didn't like it because it was too bitter for him. There is no record of him taking drugs.

his doctor did give him possibly amphetamines together with opiates for stomach problems (Kershaw, Nemesis 2000; 728)

But he never drank and drove ;)

Perhaps the anti-drink driving campaigners might use him as a role model to front their campaign? T-shirts, badges, balloons and hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Absolutely agree 100% with you, there should be no limit. You get caught with alcohol in your system irrespective of amount, whilst in charge of a car, you should get a ten year ban and a three grand fine.
    OH FFS.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sticjones

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    No problem with the reduction, 80,50,20 mg/L all generally mean the same thing - one drink = over the limit.

No that is complete nonsense I'm afraid.

I have been breathalyzed minutes after finishing 4 pints (which is technically 6-8 standard drinks) and passed no problem. Likewise someone else on the thread said he had to finish the 9th can before failing the garda breathalyzer.

I would be very surprised if anyone on the planet (regardless of weight/height/age/tolerance/etc) would have a blood alcohol concentration of over 0.8mg after a single drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

And he's spending half his time in the pub?

For shame, Mickeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Nanny state?
    LOL
    Banning smoking in pubs is the nanny state in action.
    Banning drinking and driving is common sense.

Logic fail!

Smoking WILL damage your health (and the health of the people around you), in fact, smoking kills. Fact. So the banning of smoking in working places is a great piece of proactive legislation.

Drinking and driving, whilst wrong and dangerous, is not guaranteed to hurt anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

shure here in da country we need a couple of pints in the morning just to make us relaxed enough to drive........

seriously though, I always drive after 1 or 2 pints but no more than that. have to drive 30k miles a year for work so wouldn't want to risk losing my license, and that's the only reason.

All the pubs will close and the country will be riddled with shebeens selling bootleg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sticjones

ejmaztec wrote: »
    All the pubs will close and the country will be riddled with shebeens selling bootleg.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Please read post 15, then consider your stance.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Please read post 15, then consider your stance.

Was nearly killed by a drunk driver. Middle of the Day, driving with my Dad. He slammed straight into us. Had the presence of mind to go into his neighbours house and get a whiskey off them for the 'shock'. Guards couldn't do him for DD. He then tried to sue my Dad for damages!!

Cop your self on for fücks sake.

Consider your fücking stance before you start talking through your hoop.

I'd happily do a ban for what I want to call you right now.

I am from a rural area. I am also from a family that owns a pub. I am of the firm opinion that the drink driving laws in this country are far too lenient.

Zero Tolerance. Draconian levels of inspection.

ejmaztec wrote: »

These sheebeens will then be forced to seek licences to continue to trade and will do so.. The circle of life continues.

Pubs who were not bollixing with the Celtic tiger property ****e are still doing enough to keep heads well above water. If their driving customers are that good it will pay publicians to run rural bus services for them. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sticjones wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if anyone on the planet (regardless of weight/height/age/tolerance/etc) would have a blood alcohol concentration of over 0.8mg after a single drink.
    I think you mean 0.08mg. Is that not equivalent to 80mg/L?

But yes I stand corrected - maybe I should have claimed the difference between 50 and 20 mg/L is quite small. IMO the correct approach would be to have a limit where 1 drink would put the person over the limit (regardless of weight/height/age/tolerance/etc) say a blanket 0.02mg limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The point is anyone who uses mouthwash, eats cookies or drinks Coke will get done for drunk driving.

These all contain measurable amounts of alcohol, a zero-tolerance policy would see the streets emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

The only time I see the law out breathalizing is early saturday mornings, never on a weekday, this will be the same as speeding traps on the motorways and its to catch people over the limit early mornings.
    I really wish that I didnt NEED to own a car

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was nearly killed by a drunk driver. Middle of the Day, driving with my Dad. He slammed straight into us. Had the presence of mind to go into his neighbours house and get a whiskey off them for the 'shock'. Guards couldn't do him for DD. He then tried to sue my Dad for damages!!

Cop your self on for fücks sake.

Consider your fücking stance before you start talking through your hoop.

I'd happily do a ban for what I want to call you right now.

I am from a rural area. I am also from a family that owns a pub. I am of the firm opinion that the drink driving laws in this country are far too lenient.

And there are other stories like this, My father was nearly killed by a drink and drug driver last year. Guy ploughed right into the back of him at 80 Kmph. when he was driving on his way to work- this on a 3 Lane Motorway.

Whats your point?

Your insane post has no basis, you CANNOT enforce a ZERO limit, its not possible. But i suspect you actually know this already and are just ranting from your own experience.

Alcohol has traces in loads of things, how the f&&k does one enforce a Zero limit based on this FACT and not your rant.

And please address my point about road fatalities versus other european countries. This is merely the RSA trying to retain funding and jobs and is not justified. The cash would be better saving the THOUSANDS of lifes lost a year from cancer. Road Fatalities are tiny in comparison to other mortality here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

While I agree things need to be far tighter when it comes to inspection, you can't have people banned for drinking too much pineapple juice or a gone off mince pie (both of these could present minute amounts of alcohol in the bloodstream, but not enough to cause someone to be a danger on the roads).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

At 86 mickling probably never sat a driving test... He shouldnt be behind the wheel after any drink at all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0922/drink.html

Why do we have to conform with everything that the EU do?

We have politicians that are a bunch of sheep, lowering the limit by such a small percentage isn't going to affect those that are drink driving.

If people want to drink drive, they are going to, shouldn't punish the people that want to go for one and drive home.

The time for "having one and drive home," is over. It ended after things got so bad with the level of car crashes due to drink related driving.
    Your post is ignorant and it's riddiculous comments like this that sends out the example that drink driving is ok. This isn't an arguement over whether or not one drink can make a difference. thats an arguement for another thread, but where does it stop with the one drink?

At the end of the day, a complete NO DRINK DRIVING ban is much more preferable than having the gardai come to my door at 2am and telling me you or someone else have killed a family member or a friend of mine. Fullstop!!!!

Advertisement