Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowering of drink drive limit - Nanny state strikes again

Options
  • 22-09-2011 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0922/drink.html
    A Bill that will pave the way for the introduction of lower drink-driving limits is being published today.

The Road Traffic No 2 Bill will allow for mandatory breath testing at the new limits, which are due to be introduced next month.

It will reduce the legal blood alcohol limit from 80mg per 100ml of blood to 50mg per 100ml.

Instead of the current ban, those found over the new 50mg limit will be given three penalty points and an on-the-spot fine of €200.

However, if they are found to be over the existing limit of 80mg they will be automatically disqualified from driving for six months and fined €400.

The option of taking a fine and points rather than going to court can only be availed of once in a three-year period.

Those who drive for a living and learner drivers will be subject to a 'virtually zero' limit of 20mg per 100ml of blood.

If they are caught over the limit they will be disqualified for three months and fined €200.

Dr Denis Cusack of the Medical Bureau of Road Safety in UCD says that the only way people can guarantee not being over the new limits is not to drink and drive.

Testing equipment calibrated for the new limits is due to become available in the comings weeks.

Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar will then announce a date for the introduction of the new limits, which is expected to be in October.

Why do we have to conform with everything that the EU do?

We have politicians that are a bunch of sheep, lowering the limit by such a small percentage isn't going to affect those that are drink driving.

If people want to drink drive, they are going to, shouldn't punish the people that want to go for one and drive home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I fail to see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Hank_Jones wrote: »

We have politicians that are a bunch of sheep, lowering the limit by such a small percentage isn't going to affect those that are drink driving.

If people want to drink drive, they are going to, shouldn't punish the people that want to go for one and drive home.

Feckoff, if you want to drink, then either stay at home or take a bus/taxi.

Anyone who drinks and then gets behind the wheel of a car is a complete muppet, regardless of how much they've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

What you gotta love is the Vitner's Federation take on this: "new drink-driving limits are killing the pub business!!! OMFGz!!1!1!"

It's the extortionate prices that publicans are charging for pints that is killing their business, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If you wanna drink leave the car at home. I think anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

There shouldn't even BE a limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

shouldn't punish the people that want to go for one and drive home.

You must remember the eighties? :)

"Two will do" "and if you do, no more then two"
    Big advertising campaign

Ancient history now

It's part and parcel of being a member of the EU, I'm afraid.

People shouldn't drink drive, full stop, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

zero tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Nanny state?
    LOL
    Banning smoking in pubs is the nanny state in action.
    Banning drinking and driving is common sense.

FatherLen wrote: »
    zero tolerance.

here, here, 30 lashes and beheadings for anyone caught drink driving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

My only worry with lowering the limit would be being stopped the next day.

If I go out for a drink, leave the car at home, take a taxi/bus/walk home and then get stopped the next day and get done. Something is wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All the piss-heads at the wheel will have to move to Cyprus.

http://www.safetravel.co.uk/EuropeDrinkDrivingLimits.html
    0.0 mg per ml– Estonia, Malta, Romania, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary
    0.2 mg per ml– Norway, Poland, Sweden
    0.4 mg per ml- Lithuania
    0.5 mg per ml- Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany (Germany is 0.3 if you’re in an accident), Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia, Latvia, Macedonia, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, Cyprus (North)
    0.8 mg per ml– UK, Ireland (NOW), Luxembourg, Malta, Switzerland
    0.9 mg per ml Cyprus (South)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I don't see the point in banning 1/3rd of a pint.. Who drinks that much?! Ban it altogether!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I dont see why its necessary to differ from the likes of our nearest neighbour the UK,

I mean we have one of the lowest road fatalities in Europe. All this hype on Alcohol i suspect is more for one of these Quangos the RSA to justify their existence. This has nothing to do with safety, more over its a strategy to justify more public spending on RSA marketing campaigns.

People should see straight through this but they dont.

Why dont they put the cash into something thats worthwhile like Cancer Research or bloody after care units.

and for those who said Zero alcohol limits, if you had any notion of the amount of substances with alcohol present you wouldnt be talking out of your hoop. Everyone would be over that limt....

Hoop talkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I seem to have wandered into a joint FG/FF convention...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

People don't kill other people after a pint or two. They kill people driving after 10 pints or so. I drive home after a few pints and have no problem saying so. I've never killed anyone or came close to it. Have always being comfortable with my driving ability and of being within the limit most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Mickeling is 86 and lives 7 miles from town. He comes into town every night to enjoy a drink or two and play some cards and chat among the neighbours. This is what keeps Mickeling going. The pub owner assures me that Mickeling could drink 10 pints and get home safely, now Mickeling is looking at having to walk the seven miles, which is extremely dangerous as he may stagger out in front of coming car or maybe stagger into a drain full of brambles and get kilt.
    Every time Mickeling leaves the pub, the publican wonders if the next time he will see Mickeling being the centre of attention at a wake?
    If he were allowed drive home this would not happen. Its all right for city folk who can get taxis home, but out the country they are two a penny, once again a nail in the coffin of the publicans and the traditions of rural society where the pub used to be the hub of the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Degag wrote: »
    People don't kill other people after a pint or two. They kill people driving after 10 pints or so. I drive home after a few pints and have no problem saying so. I've never killed anyone or came close to it. Have always being comfortable with my driving ability and of being within the limit most of the time.

*Godwin Alert*

Hitler didn't drink and he killed millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I think you should be allowed have the 1 pint but in saying that 1 pint can effect different people in different ways. (Small lady who normally has 3 glasses of wine and is off her face as opposed to 17stone lad who would regularly down 10 pints)

Garda I know, his party piece is to pull out the breathalizer at parties. One oul boy didnt fail it until he finished his 9th can of beer.

Its the whole getting done the next morning is the real sickener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Funny there's never a nanny state when people want debt forgiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Mickeling is 86 and lives 7 miles from town. He comes into town every night to enjoy a drink or two and play some cards and chat among the neighbours. This is what keeps Mickeling going. The pub owner assures me that Mickeling could drink 10 pints and get home safely, now Mickeling is looking at having to walk the seven miles, which is extremely dangerous as he may stagger out in front of coming car or maybe stagger into a drain full of brambles and get kilt.
    Every time Mickeling leaves the pub, the publican wonders if the next time he will see Mickeling being the centre of attention at a wake?
    If he were allowed drive home this would not happen. Its all right for city folk who can get taxis home, but out the country they are two a penny, once again a nail in the coffin of the publicans and the traditions of rural society where the pub used to be the hub of the parish.

Or the publican could end up being at Mickeling's wake after he lost control of his car because of those 10 pints.

You think someone who would need to "stagger" home could easily drive home?

The lax attitude of people who genuinely seem to think that there is no problem with drinking and driving is quite shocking tbh.

Alcohol affects your system and even a bit can affect your judgement, why take the risk of driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Law I don't like = nanny state now?

FFS, I want to plant an axe in my neighbour's head, but the law says I can't . Damn nanny state.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ejmaztec wrote: »
    *Godwin Alert*

He did. Had the occasional beer

Never smoked though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Degag wrote: »

Thats possibly the most stupidly irresponsible thing anyones every posted on here, being "comfortable with your ability" doesnt mean the day wont come where you've had a few and kill someone as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mickeling chose to live in the country seven miles from the pub. Move closer. Stay over night in town. There are taxis in rural areas.

And are you serioulsy saying that man who cannot walk home in a straight line is still safe enough to drive?

Ever time mickeling leaves the pub in a car, everyone else worries that they'll be at someone else's wake nake week.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You think someone who would need to "stagger" home could easily drive home?

Reminds me of a fellow in the pub one night. Had a few pints too many and was going driving home. Some fella says to him "You're not going drving Mike are you?" Reply was, "Well i can't fúcking walk!"

True story, not saying i condone it or anything, just what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Wondering what people's positions are on driving while fatigued?

Suppose we'll all have to have 8 hours sleep before getting behind the wheel now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

ejmaztec wrote: »
    *Godwin Alert*

According to his well regarded and meticulously researched biography by Professor Ian Kershaw he was fairly abstemious but did drink very very occasionally. There are instances of him drinking wine and beer - he shocked his hosts once by putting sugar in his vintage red wine, this was in the twenties -
    And he was also offered Czech Pilsner beer when he visited Prague after the Nazi invasion. He didn't like it because it was too bitter for him. There is no record of him taking drugs.

his doctor did give him possibly amphetamines together with opiates for stomach problems (Kershaw, Nemesis 2000; 728)

But he never drank and drove ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

No problem with the reduction, 80,50,20 mg/L all generally mean the same thing - one drink = over the limit.

I DO however have a problem with different laws applying to learner drivers. Just because you have 20yrs experience doesn't make you any less suceptible to the effects of alcohol and certainly shouldn't mean the rules are more lax for you. In fact you could argue that experienced drivers SHOULD know better (than a learner D) and therefore a greater punishment would be in order.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Thats possibly the most stupidly irresponsible thing anyones every posted on here, being "comfortable with your ability" doesnt mean the day wont come where you've had a few and kill someone as a result.
    Why is it? I'm not breaking the law. You don't need alcohol in your system to cause a fatal accident and having alcohol in your blood does not necessarily mean that it was a contributary factor in causing an accident either.

Advertisement