Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the Love of God

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

C14N wrote: »
    (although substituting "science" for "God" doesn't really make sense because they aren't mutually exclusive but the point still stands).

Eh what?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Eh what?:confused:

I think he's saying that science isn't the opposite of God nor do you have to be an atheist to be a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Newaglish wrote: »
    I think he's saying that science isn't the opposite of God nor do you have to be an atheist to be a scientist.

Yes. Some Christians act like science is the work of the devil and some atheists act like they own science. I was just pointing out that they're totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

By Jove, you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I do say things like 'Jesus' on hearing news from people in front of whom I wouldn't swear. I tend to use 'gods' instead of 'god' these days (saying ''gods' only know'', for example) because I found it easier than retraining myself not to mention the g-word after saying it for so long. I feel better about it and I suspect that most people don't notice.

As Dades says, it's nice to be able to blaspheme when you hit your thumb with a hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kylith wrote: »
    As Dades says, it's nice to be able to blaspheme when you hit your thumb with a hammer.

As Bill Bryson said, the next time someone claims that 'Jesus is the answer' just say 'only if the question is: what do you say when you hit your thumb with a hammer?'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I saw the question I thought of this movie scene, but couldn't find a clip before. Note that this scene is set in Texas, where they're not quite as liberal as we are about such language:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just stuck an 's' on the end; 'for gods' sake', 'gods only know' and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've made a game of seeing how blasphemous I can make my exclamations. The answer is "pretty damn".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Dades wrote: »
    I think when you hit your thumb with a hammer it doesn't matter whether you're religious or not.
    there are no atheists in foxholes? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Thunderin' sh*te'n holy mother o' c*ntbucketin' jaysis!

Advertisement