Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the Love of God

Options
  • 21-09-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Similar to the who do you thank thread I thought I'd make this.

So we all know about the usual Irish refrains of: Ah Jesus that's terrible, holy mother of god etc etc.Basically I was wondering when you decided to become atheist (if a decision was ever made) did you have to consciously stop using such phrases did it come naturally or could ya not give a holy fuc%?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think when you hit your thumb with a hammer it doesn't matter whether you're religious or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Jaafa wrote: »
    Similar to the who do you thank thread I thought I make this.

So we all know about the usual Irish refrains of: Ah Jesus that's terrible, holy mother of god etc etc.Basically I was wondering when you decided to become atheist (if a decision was ever made) did you have to consciously stop using such phrases did it come naturally or could ya not give a holy fuc%?

Well, I certainly use phrases like "Jesus H Christ!" and "Christ on a bike!" as expressions of surprise/amazement/disgust as much as I ever used to, but avoid all the little phrases like "thank God", "God willing", etc., that imply that there actually might be a [Gg]od(*).

(*) Can't help myself- I love regexp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't think I ever really used religious phrases in the first place...but then I'm not irish and they do seem to be a cultural staple over here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

jesus tap dancing christ, not another one of these threads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »
    I think when you hit your thumb with a hammer it doesn't matter whether you're religious or not.

I didn't know that FUCK! had anything to do with religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

swampgas wrote: »
    Well, I certainly use phrases like "Jesus H Christ!" and "Christ on a bike!" as expressions of surprise/amazement/disgust as much as I ever used to, but avoid all the little phrases like "thank God", "God willing", etc., that imply that there actually might be a [Gg]od(*).

(*) Can't help myself- I love regexp.

"Christ on a bike" is one of my personal favourites. Always wondered what the 'H' was for though.

Edit: Ah, turns out there's a Wikipedia article on that very topic!

I didn't know that FUCK! had anything to do with religion.

I guess that depends on whether you're a Catholic priest or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Phrases are phrases and as such in of themselves mean nothing.

I DO get upset and challenge posts where they say Thank God he was not killed and the poor bloke came of a bike doing 200mph and every bone in his body was broken and he'll never walk again.

And the like. I've been somewhat successful in getting 'Thank God' posts removed ~ there are the obvious few who just mean it as colloquialism, and I put up with those and know they don't mean what they say ~~ but even vigilant nonetheless. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Christ on a bike" is one of my personal favourites. Always wondered what the 'H' was for though.

Edit: Ah, turns out there's a Wikipedia article on that very topic!
    The H stands for Haploid, cos he has only one set of genes

seamus wrote: »
    The H stands for Haploid, cos he has only one set of genes

These ones?

Yeah, that doesn't really work when the word 'genes' is blatantly spelled out. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The H stands for Harold. Named after his dad. Lots of boys have their dad's first name as their middle name.

Harold, as in "Harold be thy name."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Do not use the lord's name in vein.

Since this doesn't apply to us heathens, I say go for it for christ's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

Do not use the lord's name in vein.

Since this doesn't apply to us heathens, I say go for it for christ's sake!

That's something I definitely wouldn't do. Sounds very unhealthy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I use all manner of religious phrases, thank god, for gods sake and so on. They're just phrases to express a certain point, it's like saying "touch wood" for example - it doesn't imply that you believe in some magical properties inherent in your coffee table:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I tend to take the homer simpson route:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Ever since the catholic church in this country started to be seen as what they are, my use of religious exclamations has actually increased.

Jesus child-fiddling christ!
    well holy Mary-raping god!

etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Blowfish wrote: »
    I tend to take the homer simpson route:

I, too, follow Homer's lead, but from a different episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I swear a lot... and I'm also a firm atheist. But I don't care about saying stuff like "Oh my God!!!" or anything... I think they're just general expressions of annoyance/disbelief/frustration/etc. and I don't think that by saying things like "Oh my God!!!" means you neccessarily BELIEVE in (a) god.

Funny, one thing I've stopped doing is saying 'Bless you' after someone sneezes... I simply detest this for some reason!!! I've started using the German/American expression 'Gesundheit' instead. No religious meaning attached... Why I find saying 'bless you' so difficult... Don't ask me. I just do. I find 'Gesundheit' much better, and it gets the same message across!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't beat shouting out the aul' "Jesus tittyf*cking Christ!" every now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The H stands for Harold. Named after his dad. Lots of boys have their dad's first name as their middle name.

Harold, as in "Harold be thy name."

My dad called him "Inri" - it's written over him on every cross.

[Embedded Image Removed]

I like to come up with Deb Morgan (from Dexter) style phrases in anger, for example:

Sh*t a brick and f*ck me with it
    F*ck me in both ears

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

DazMarz wrote: »
    Funny, one thing I've stopped doing is saying 'Bless you' after someone sneezes... I simply detest this for some reason!!! I've started using the German/American expression 'Gesundheit' instead. No religious meaning attached... Why I find saying 'bless you' so difficult... Don't ask me. I just do. I find 'Gesundheit' much better, and it gets the same message across!!!

I'm a Catholic and I still generally go for "Gesundheit" instead of "Bless you". I don't get the slightest bit offended if someone says it to me or anyone else, I'm just worried people will think I'm a zealot and will follow up with "have you found Jesus in your life?" :P

I've grown more intolerable, I don't accept it anymore at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Jaafa wrote: »
    Similar to the who do you thank thread I thought I'd make this.

interesting question

i never ever say thank god or please god , then again i find the idea of a god who is selective in who he helps deeply offensive so saying thank god for a nice day when the previous forty have been down pours is a tad silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have been known to exclaim "Oh, thank random quantum fluctuations in the spacetime continuum!"

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, so I don't utter it often.

My level of blasphemy has increased, certainly. Mostly because there's something awfully satisfying about the image of someone's magical fictitious lord and saviour tapdancing on a bike while f*cking some tits.

irishh_bob wrote: »
    is a tad silly

Yes, last year, a Discovery channel show, Storm Chasers, show a guy on the ground and seemingly dead.

"Thanks God" he's alive says a few ... I reply sarcastically "Thank God" He'll probably never walk again with spinal injuries.

This year, 2011 we catch up with this casualty and his prognosis is bad, he in fact in reality, may never walk again and will be confined to a wheel chair "Thank God" ~~~~~

I want to take people and punch their light out and put three taps to their brain if they "Thank God" that I had not killed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm trying to think of the last time I used religious language in extremis, and am drawing a blank, so perhaps I've successfully weaned myself off it. When someone sneezes I use the American "Gesundheit!", and if I stub my toe (or whatever) there are various non-religious swearwords that seem to do a better job of relieving the pain. :o

For some creatively non-religious foul language, I can heartily recommend the film The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Cue the Waxing: very NSFW.

:eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

My room mates probably think I am a devout believer at this stage with the string of pleas to our lord I utter on a daily basis.

Beats saying f*ck all the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My French hubby has been known to utter christ on a bicycle. He must have picked it up from somewhere.... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

To be honest, I think that it's really obvious when someone consciously edits/censors themselves, and it sounds really clunky and stupid in conversation. It's honestly a massive effort for me to not roll my eyes if I hear someone saying something like "Thank gods" (because they are wiccan...) or similar. I just don't think that anyone needs to be so self-consciously "not god" - it's not a big deal, you just don't believe in god. How much of a difference does saying "thank science" or "thank gods" really make?

As per previous posters, I think some things are just part of our language and colloquialisms, and saying something like "thank god" or "jesus christ!" doesn't really mean that you believe in god, but that you've grown up around people who used the phrases, and have brought them into your own lexicon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kila wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that it's really obvious when someone consciously edits/censors themselves, and it sounds really clunky and stupid in conversation. It's honestly a massive effort for me to not roll my eyes if I hear someone saying something like "Thank gods" (because they are wiccan...) or similar. I just don't think that anyone needs to be so self-consciously "not god" - it's not a big deal, you just don't believe in god. How much of a difference does saying "thank science" or "thank gods" really make?

As per previous posters, I think some things are just part of our language and colloquialisms, and saying something like "thank god" or "jesus christ!" doesn't really mean that you believe in god, but that you've grown up around people who used the phrases, and have brought them into your own lexicon too.

I think that's true. It was parodied in the South Park episode about atheism when all the atheists said things like "sciencedamn you!" or "priase science!" (although substituting "science" for "God" doesn't really make sense because they aren't mutually exclusive but the point still stands).

Advertisement