Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil HD remakes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Tis up on the PSN store now. Seems to be cheaper than advertised. €15 instead of €20, and €7.50 for plus members. I bought 3 months Plus yesterday for €15 so that covers both RE games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

But we're not arguing about RE5 :confused: I doubt anyone here is willing to call RE5 anything than merely OK - it was too far towards action, with bosses that took glowing orange weak points to hilarious new extremes.

RE4 is not RE5. Nor is it RE2. And that's entirely the point. Resident Evil 1-3 are still great games. But they're off their time, there's no doubt about that. Things like 'the green key' were never good puzzle design, although they're happily carried over to the newer games to retain that feeling. And as for tight ammo and medicine? Well, that is even more pronounced in 4 than it is in the others. How much time was spent desperately running around searching for shotgun shells as the crowds slowly overwhelmed you? And herbs and sprays were an equally precious resource. The difference is that the combat mechanics in RE4 are, you know, good as opposed to the charming but old-fashioned survival horrors of old. And with countless Silent Hills, Project Zeros, Dino Crisises, Clock Towers and who knows how many others, survival horror as it used to be is a well worn genre.

Shinji Mikami is one of gaming's great visionaries and entertainers, and he brought Resident Evil smack bang up-to-date with RE4. We as gamers often have a sense of entitlement - we demand freshness while moaning about change. A new 'traditional' Resi 4 would have been easy. Hell they even gave it a go:

But Mikami et al. decided it didn't work, or it was just on autopilot, so scrapped it and went balls out on a new build while staying true to the original. I'm genuinely surprised anyone could think it was a bad decision after playing through the glorious opening twenty minutes of RE4. That house siege, and the unexpected decapitation that cruelly ended my first attempt, are easily amongst my favourite, most exhilarating gaming moments of all times.

And hey, it could have been worse. You could have gotten Resident Evil 4: Devil May Cry as was once the plan.

sorry, it had to be re4/re5

that early biuld looks way more interesting then what re4 is now.

one more thing that annoys me about re4: It is all cultist, magic bull****.

we had 2 horror survival franchises:

fiction style: Silent hill. briliant series, it was horror survival game, but we all knew it was fiction and paranormal.

"realistic" style: RE1-2-3. It was horror survival, but all proved by science ( its silly, yeah ), some bio weapon, man made weapon which makes people in to zombies etc. mutation and T-virus.

in RE4, they took old character and made all this bull**** with fiction and magic and other crap.

i said it before, it might be a good game, but its not an RE game. they just steped in ****, and now its too late to get out of it. they could have donw something like dice did with battlefield:
    battlefield: x
    battlefield: bad company x

it works out 2 different franchises and they dont damage each other when they go different ways.

this new racoon city game is coming out, it tries to go back to its roots, but its 4 people co-op which will fail. Lost planet looks great, but this 4 player campaign killed it. You cant make a good story and gameplay when you need coordinate 4 people. You can make it a good action game, but you cant pull a good story driven game.

i know we went offtopic with this RE4 good/bad game, but in the end it became an interesting debate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I enjoy a good re-release (HD or other-wise) if it's well done and resonably priced. But more importantly, if it's old enough to warrant a re-release. The older of these two games is what?- A decade old, maybe? If I was old enought to legally drink when it was originally released, then it still feels like I'm only just after playing it, and I won't be re-buying it yet. Another 5-10years down the line, then I'd probably buy it.

Also, for the love of blood and zombies, forget about rereleasing Code V and Res E 4, and give use the first three games again! Now those I'd happily buy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Give me Resident Evil 2, with the RE4 control scheme on the Wii. Then i'll be happy.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Magic crap? It's a parasite reducing humans to just above zombie level - Whats more fantastical and ridiculous about that compared to some virus turning a city population into a mumbling mob of shuffling flesh munching morons?

Proved by science? Not really and I suppose this justifies nonsense like how the main antagonist willingly gets a 4-foot claw shoved through his chest to become the super-powered mongrel he is up to RE5, or all this 'science' spawns Hunters, killer plants, raving black spider like creatures crawling on the ceiling, lickers etc...

Honestly, this just proves my point - It's all about the Zombies. Everyone wants the Zombies... Resident Evil = Zombies. If it's not Zombies, it's not Resident Evil apparantly.

you missing the point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

this new racoon city game is coming out, it tries to go back to its roots, but its 4 people co-op which will fail.

Back to its roots, what? If you thought RE5 had too much action, Racoon City looks pretty much like Resident Evil: Left 4 Dead.

I actually love Resident Evil 5, but I'm not overly gone on the older games in comparison, though they are good - but they're most certainly a world apart. My housemates a rabid RE fan though (even has tattoos) and he considers RE5 his favorite!
    in RE4, they took old character and made all this bull**** with fiction and magic and other crap.

Fiction and magic? The very premise of Zombies and Resident Evil has always been entirely 100% fiction devoid of any scientific merit. What odds does it make for the reasoning of their occurrence, then? That said I do understand what you mean. For example, I was a massive fan of Metal Gear Solid, but the direction it took with MGS2, 3 and 4 just turned me off it completely, a transition from a relatively serious game with some stretches of belief, to a totally out there experience. Most were totally fine with it, I wasn't.

Back to its roots, what? If you thought RE5 had too much action, Racoon City looks pretty much like Resident Evil: Left 4 Dead.

I actually love Resident Evil 5, but I'm not overly gone on the older games in comparison, though they are good - but they're most certainly a world apart. My housemates a rabid RE fan though (even has tattoos) and he considers RE5 his favorite!

Fiction and magic? The very premise of Zombies and Resident Evil has always been entirely 100% fiction devoid of any scientific merit. What odds does it make for the reasoning of their occurrence, then? That said I do understand what you mean. For example, I was a massive fan of Metal Gear Solid, but the direction it took with MGS2, 3 and 4 just turned me off it completely, a transition from a relatively serious game with some stretches of belief, to a totally out there experience. Most were totally fine with it, I wasn't.

Racoon city is totaly **** in my eyes, but it ditches all that magic stuff on goes science-fiction.

i am not saying that RE games were realistic or some **** ( who ever thinks that is an idiot), the word i was looking for was: Magic **** vs science fiction. if that makes any sense...

we know magic is bull****, but old RE atleast looked believable.

*lickers in RE2 are mutations... even in RE1 movie you can clearly see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm gonna cut to the core of this:

RE4 is a brilliant videogame but most of us have it. There is no way I am paying 15e or 20e for something I already own if they didn't even put effort into redoing it but still call it
    Resident Evil 4: HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

So yeah, a lot of people are saying that this is just a HD upscale of the PS2 version and doesn't have the superior visuals of the GC version. I can't understand what point there is in buying this if you're not getting an upgrade on the cheaper Wii/GC version. Seems utterly pointless and a little insulting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If it clearly wasn't working for RE3.. Why did they continue to use the same formula for Code veronica and Resi 0? Which were both awesome games i may add.

I'm not saying no good came of Resi 4, far from it, i loved the changes they made to the game, but just not with the story and style of play. They could have easily kept the survival horror aspect and use of puzzles and stayed true to the game in terms of story also and we would have loved it.

But they decided to change the game completely, likely to reach a wider audience, But they are in the biz to make money and only money, I'm a fool in this day and age for thinking things can remain sacred :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Racoon city is totaly **** in my eyes, but it ditches all that magic stuff on goes science-fiction.

i am not saying that RE games were realistic or some **** ( who ever thinks that is an idiot), the word i was looking for was: Magic **** vs science fiction. if that makes any sense...

we know magic is bull****, but old RE atleast looked believable.

*lickers in RE2 are mutations... even in RE1 movie you can clearly see it.

I don't even know how to respond to that (arguing the plausibility of any of the games is an exercise in utter futility), but I will say Resident Evil the movie does not exist. It does not exist.

Isn't HD based on the PC version rather than the PS2 one? Could be wrong there though. Still happy with my original GC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Crap, I was telling people this was 20 euro but now PSN is back, I see its 15. Still not getting it. If I had PSN+ I would def pick it up for 7.50 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The thing I liked about RE4 was the over-the-shoulder view of running around and shooting zombies/ infected. Controlling Leon felt like controlling a powerhouse as it was usually pretty easy to line up multiple headshots on a group of enemies as they sprinted toward you and then slowed down to a casual stroll as they got closer.

However there were then sections of tension like (spoiler tags for that 1 guy who hasn't played it yet :) )
    being chased through the village by a chainsaw wielding freak with a bag on his head, being under siege in a house by torching wielding maniacs, getting locked in rooms with those wolverine-claw giants, fighting groups of cult members in a medieval castle
    and a lot more. Enemies were thrown at players a lot more in this then in any previous Resident Evil game and Leon was equipped to deal with them in a fun-to-play manner.

What previous Resident Evil games had that was absent from RE4 was fear for the character you controlled. In the first game Jill/ Chris were all alone in a spooky mansion. Ammo was scarce and enemies were a lot more lethal. You had a gun, then a shotgun but you never knew when your ammo would run out and if, in the next room, was a stash of bullets, or a room of zombies. Jill and Chris were a lot more vulnerable and players felt it.

As I mentioned above, RE4 Leon was a powerhouse and after 6ish games of taking it slow, the higher level of action was welcome.

The fear for oneself was taken out of RE4 and replaced by new, more action based gameplay. As I said before, a natural progression for what otherwise may have been an unpopular more-of-the-same kind of game that would not be getting a re-released for the millionth time this week.

I think this is essentially what ShadowHearth wanted to say but it came out "Wut, n0 z0mb13z?" ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not sure what the complaints about Resi 4 being more action orientated are about. Ever since Resi 2 the gaes have been far more action orientated than being like Resi 1 other than the Remake obviously.
    Isn't HD based on the PC version rather than the PS2 one?

Which was based on the PS2 version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Then again, we shouldn't really be surprised Capcom are milking the hell out of this franchise. They've done it before. I remember all the kudos they garnered with the remake of Resi 1, which still stands up as the most worthwhile 'update' of an older game. Having been too young when the PS1 games were released, I loved getting to experience the remake when the original seemed a bit creaky. And then they announced the remakes of 2 & 3 for Gamecube. But they weren't remakes. They were the old games :( Again, a cheap trick to cash in on consumer good will. Boo-urns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of weird that Resi 4 is so shoddy yet Code Veronica has been updated a bit and has been remade on the MT Framework engine apparently with real time shadows, improved lighting and water shaders added.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kind of weird that Resi 4 is so shoddy yet Code Veronica has been updated a bit and has been remade on the MT Framework engine apparently with real time shadows, improved lighting and water shaders added.

Easier to make an older game look newer I guess! Any additions will make a bigger improvement. Half a decade gap between CV and 4 is a pretty major technical if not hardware jump.

It's not like Resi 4 is an ugly game in its original incarnations anyway, so they obviously thought they'd get away with a few HD textures - it's not like it's aged enough to require a remake in the first place. A reskinned early Dreamcast / PS2 game would have needed a bit of work to get away with it.

Not sure what the complaints about Resi 4 being more action orientated are about. Ever since Resi 2 the gaes have been far more action orientated than being like Resi 1 other than the Remake obviously.

Eh, What? What games have you been playing? They have all stayed pretty much the same in terms of style/shooting till part 4, how did they become more action oriented after 2?

Resi 2 after the cop station became far more action orientated with a lot more ammo available and the game becoming more linear with hub sections in between. The later games followed the same formula with sparse ammo at the start before bcoming more linear and plenty of ammo and weapons available.

Ive no problem with finding ammo in an armoury, cop station in the USA, it makes sense, you've to find the ammo in lockers, drawers etc, thats surviving with what you can get and alot more plausible than...

Killing a spaniard who has a rake as a weapon in the back arse of Europe and him disolving and leaving behind bazooka rounds and machine gun ammo :rolleyes:

And thats not even what im getting at, its the doing summersaults out of windows of 2 story buildings and causing no harm to yourself, and doing round house kicks to the heads of like 3 guys hurling them back.. Your feckin unstoppable!

• Advertisement

Unstoppable? My chainsaw wielding buddy would like a word...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Does any one know if it is possible to pick up the Original Resident Evil for the PS3 either as a hard copy or online (don't see it in the PS Store) ??

How I loved Jill Valentine.... :)

Uriel. wrote: »
    Does any one know if it is possible to pick up the Original Resident Evil for the PS3 either as a hard copy or online (don't see it in the PS Store) ??

How I loved Jill Valentine.... :)

RE1? The directors cut is on the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Resi 2 after the cop station became far more action orientated with a lot more ammo available and the game becoming more linear with hub sections in between. The later games followed the same formula with sparse ammo at the start before bcoming more linear and plenty of ammo and weapons available.

That is a good point about how the games did become much more linear when compared to the first game.
    I am a fan of the series and see the merits in all of the different games but I wonder if a new entry, or entirely new ip, came out today that was as open and as puzzling a setting as the first game was, would gamers cry out for someone to hold their hand through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Can you use the move with R4 like it should have been like on the wii or is it just d-pad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i think i see a RE movies fan here who didnt really play the original games? :S

anyway,i wont touch any of these 'HD' versions of RE unless they really put some work on them. The only HD remakes out there i am interested are MGS(because i wanna play a better graphics of MGS1+ MGS2/3 is a great bonus) and ICO+colosus. They are both some sincere products for us fans and i dont mind paying money for them. GoW trilogy is a nice product too, i'll probably get it when the price is cheaper.

I played RE1Remake and RE4(GC version) on my 40' samsung few months ago and they still look great. Most ps2/GC era games still look great tbh and not many of them deserve a HD remake. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Crap, I was telling people this was 20 euro but now PSN is back, I see its 15. Still not getting it. If I had PSN+ I would def pick it up for 7.50 tho.

Balls! its 15e on the promotion screen on PSN but when ya click on the icon it brings you in to the sale screen where it is 19.99, would have bought it for 15 but 20 is taking the pisis.

I would imagine it will go down in price very soon due to not many people buying it as it seems people across the boards are disgusted with the price.

Never Played it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Never Played it:(

Do so, in some way!

€15 is too expensive for this, wait til it goes on sale. I bought it, but only because I'm a Resident Evil nut. Kotaku posted a comparison video:

http://kotaku.com/5842732/watch-resident-evil-4--hd-vs-resident-evil-4-for-gamecube

I love how any topic about this series descends into the same "4/5 suck, bring back old-school RE", every single time. Much as I love old-school RE, it was really tired by the time Zero came out. REmake was amazing and it was the ultimate representation of the RE formula, but it was time for change.

Playing it over the last few days, I'm reminded how amazing RE4 is; so, so much better than 5. The atmosphere, the sense of isolation and the mystery were excellent. And that inventory screen is OCD heaven!

I love how nobody is arguing my points, quietly agreeing or just cant be arsed ?

Jumping down shadowhearts throat enough for a simple misinterpretation of when he played the game, he was talking about the hooded chanters i predict which were redic! Give it a rest!

And chainsaw guy was about the only challenging thing in the game that i can recall and thats only cause they put you in a small pit with him, kinda reminded me of being stuck in the room with the clawed blind guy from code veronica who charged ya based on sound movements.. nothing new there, and he was very stopable, never chopped my head off in story mode, he did to my friend though who then handed the controls to me :P

He may have been hard, if i didnt have a crap load of shotgun shells i picked up off the hordes of aggro Spaniards prior :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Will do, cool vid comparison.
    Gonna wait for the imminent sale me thinks, have a bucket load of games to keep me going in the mean time :D
    Mr. K wrote: »
    Do so, in some way!

€15 is too expensive for this, wait til it goes on sale. I bought it, but only because I'm a Resident Evil nut. Kotaku posted a comparison video:

http://kotaku.com/5842732/watch-resident-evil-4--hd-vs-resident-evil-4-for-gamecube

I love how any topic about this series descends into the same "4/5 suck, bring back old-school RE", every single time. Much as I love old-school RE, it was really tired by the time Zero came out. REmake was amazing and it was the ultimate representation of the RE formula, but it was time for change.

Playing it over the last few days, I'm reminded how amazing RE4 is; so, so much better than 5. The atmosphere, the sense of isolation and the mystery were excellent. And that inventory screen is OCD heaven!

Advertisement