Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil HD remakes

Options
  • 21-09-2011 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone forget Gears of War was out and pick up either RE4 or Code Veronica today?

I had a mind to until I saw the price ...... €19.99 each, you can stick them where the sun don't shine Crapcom :mad:

Much as I;d love to replay Code Veronica, no way I'm paying 20 bucks for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thats a crazy price, and what they are selling them separately surely you joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thats a crazy price, and what they are selling them separately surely you joke?

No I jest you not ..... that's €19.99 of your hard earned euros ....... each!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Was waiting to see them on the PSN store. Why aren't they there? A digital release seems a lot more effecient for these kind of releases. Anyway, RE4 has the most pathetic trophy list I have ever seen. Even terminator had the decency to make them all GOLD. 9 out of the 12 (lame) RE4 trophies are Bronze. Now THAT is pathetic... given the game has been on so many platforms and has such potential for a rich, 50+ trophy list. Not only that, the 360 gets full 1000 gamerscore, making each achievement 100ish each... so the PS3 gets the kick in the ball sack with that.

I still might've considered gettin' these games if they were
    1. On the PSN store
    2. Cheap (because they're old and nothing's new about them, really)
    3. Had good trophy sets

It's none of the above. Crapcom can go suck it. I mean really... with how badly they've absolutely buttraped the RE franchise, they can't even re-release the good ones properly... that's how utterly useless these prats are. Only RE game that needs a re-release is Outbreak 1&2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Re-release culture is getting silly. no problem with genuinely old stuff but they're cranking out whole series from not even ten years ago as 'collection' for even more wonga, obviously more shiftable/profitable than an overpriced standalone as it is - will be no stone left unturned by 2013 at this rate..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

(Correct me if i'm wrong)

but these aren't HD remakes, if you follow me. They're just higher-res textures on the same models. So they're still as blocky as ever, just their clothes look more defined. To be a legitimate remake i reckon they'd have to actually create new 2011 character models. So basically it's just a re-skin. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Anyway i've played 'em to death so i wouldn't pick em up (well maybe Code Veronica) but I can't believe this cheap knock-off. I suppose we shouldn't be too annoyed, God of War Collection did it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Buying Res E re-releases - 19.99
    Still owning the original releases - Priceless!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Pretty sure I can play Resident Evil 4 in HD with all of the mods/updates I could ever want for free on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

jaykhunter wrote: »

but these aren't HD remakes, if you follow me. They're just higher-res textures on the same models.

well I fell for buying one of the Splinter Cell 'HD' re-release - truth is it looked n played worse than I had expected or originally experienced, as it's not so long ago but games have come on leaps and bounds since.. so stark reminder. much prefer genuinely old stuff like Comic Zone. Now that's a blast from the past

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

TBH RE:CV isn't a bad deal for 20, considering the state of games they are putting out today. Especially if you haven't played it before, RE4 can fup off !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

but these aren't HD remakes, if you follow me. They're just higher-res textures on the same models. So they're still as blocky as ever, just their clothes look more defined. To be a legitimate remake i reckon they'd have to actually create new 2011 character models. So basically it's just a re-skin. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Nope, it's even lazier. It's the same game except playing at a higher resolution. No new texture work has been carried out. However it gets worse since I hear it's a port of the terrible PC version. This is based on the PS2 code so you get lower res textures and lower poly models than the GC version but it also removes the atmospheric effects and lighting, even the pared back ones from the PS2 version. So a tacky port, of a tacky port, of a tacky port.

• Advertisement

I've still got all the original games and consoles to play them on, why on earth would Capcom think I'd pay that much money to play them on my PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

This game and CV will be 50% off on psn, if you're a plus subscriber, so you can basically get both for the price of one. Still not getting it though. Played em' twice already and it looks like a poor port by the looks of it. I'm gonna put my money on Crysis 1 and Payday: The heist next month instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No way i'd play through RE4 on anything other then the Wii. Controls on that are far better. CV, i'd consider, as i never actually played it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I've no doubt the bright-sparks at the modding forums will convert the spanky brand new HD Remake textures over for the PC - Let the modding re-continue ;)

There's been no new texture work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm a huge RE fan but €20 each is twice what I'd be willing to pay. Had been looking forward to playing Code Veronica again as I loved the Dreamcast version but when you can get so many modern PS3 games for <€20 I'm not going to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haven't played it since the Gamecube and as I've no Wii or Gamecube now, 1600 points seems fair enough to me, regardless of how it looks. HMV are selling 2100 points for €19.99 right now, so it only works out at €16 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Meh I'm not a huge follower of graphics in games to be honest. I couldn't care less about what the game looks like a long as it's a good game. I loved RE4 and CV but as others have mentioned it's just a reskin so it adds nothing new to the game itself really. This whole 'HD remake!!!' trend is just another method of claiming a bit of extra cash from our wallets.
    I don't buy into it, unless it's a proper remake that can actually add to an otherwise excellent game such as the RE1 and MGS remakes for the gamecube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are a few things HD remakes are suitable for. One is fixing any problems with the original, graphically or otherwise (say the frame rate in Shadow of the Colossus). Another is giving an acclaimed but underselling game a second lease of life (ICO / SotC, Stranger's Wrath or Beyond Good and Evil, and the latter was half-assed). Or finally collecting a series of games in one place with a loving, worthwhile makeover (MGS collection).

These games seem to be none of the above. Maybe Code Veronica, but Resi 4 has already been saturated to a ludicrous point. It's a cheap way to make some more money out of an already very profitable game, and the cheapness apparently shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Actually you make a good point about ico and shadow of the colossus. Been meaning to play them for years and never got the chance to pick them up first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Anyway i've played 'em to death so i wouldn't pick em up (well maybe Code Veronica) but I can't believe this cheap knock-off. I suppose we shouldn't be too annoyed, God of War Collection did it...

they actuolly bothered to put in higher ress textures?! i thought they just crank up resolution to so called hd and leave it at that!

i thought they are as bundle too!

RE4 killed RE series, no way ill be getting it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RE4 killed RE series, no way ill be getting it...

Correction:

RE5 killed excitement for the Resi series. Resident Evil 4 is a rare gaming masterpiece that was easily one of if not the most important action game of the last console gen.

action game of the last console gen.

Exactly why it ruined the series... It may have been a good game, i didn't think much of it, but it wasn't a survival horror, like the other 5 Resident evil games before it...

They should have changed the leading characters in Resi 4 and renamed the game as "Dagon" as it was purely influenced by the film Dagon... But even then it would be inaccurate as there wasn't a guy running around in the movie with machine guns and super powered round house kicks...

Correction:

RE5 killed excitement for the Resi series. Resident Evil 4 is a rare gaming masterpiece that was easily one of if not the most important action game of the last console gen.

that wasnt resident evil game.

call it Resident banana and i wont have any problem with it. RE allways were about horror survival, re4 not so much, re5 just nailed last nail in a coffin.

its alright game, but not RE game.

Ah but it was a survival horror, albeit not the rigid, cheesy kind of the earlier games. And there's nothing wrong with the early games, persay. But Resi 4 knocked it up a gear. It's the first one where it felt like a genuine challenge to survive, and there's little in gaming more horrifying than being bordered up in a surrounded house with the moan of the chainsaw in the distance. Grasp onto 'masters of unlocking' and ****ty aiming all you want, but Resi 4 is not all that far removed from what came before. It's an evolution; a revolution dare I say it.

What Resi 4 did was reinvent a franchise from the ground up, one that was in sore need of a breath of fresh air. It does not in any way undo the games that came before it, and is still loyal to the characters and ideas of the early games (although minus zombies). Sure, another classic Resi game would be nice to a degree, but Resi 4 injected new life into a stagnant genre. And for that we should be eternally grateful.

Ah but it was a survival horror, albeit not the rigid, cheesy kind of the earlier games. And there's nothing wrong with the early games, persay. But Resi 4 knocked it up a gear. It's the first one where it felt like a genuine challenge to survive, and there's little in gaming more horrifying than being bordered up in a surrounded house with the moan of the chainsaw in the distance. Grasp onto 'masters of unlocking' and ****ty aiming all you want, but Resi 4 is not all that far removed from what came before. It's an evolution; a revolution dare I say it.

What Resi 4 did was reinvent a franchise from the ground up, one that was in sore need of a breath of fresh air. It does not in any way undo the games that came before it, and is still loyal to the characters and ideas of the early games (although minus zombies). Sure, another classic Resi game would be nice to a degree, but Resi 4 injected new life into a stagnant genre. And for that we should be eternally grateful.

RE2 horror survival - "****, i only got 5 Magnum bullets and 2 big herbs left, i really hope it will be enough to dodge the big bastard in green coat! i finnaly got green key, i hope there will be more supplies in that room, or i am ****ED!

RE5 horror survival - " oh look, i just need to follow this yellow line, oh look, gold coins and rubies! Theres like monsters and zombies crazy people around, but i bet there will be someone who will buy them all!

Its not an RE game.

Id be inclined to agree with you in regards to the tension they built, but they should have reduced the amount of ammo you got and weapons and made it less of a high octane shooter.

I was never low on ammo and once you got to grips with your surroundings, its was just a matter of running into a dead end, turning around and just aiming for head and killing them in 2-3 shots and then picking up the **** they dropped which was alot more than what you spent.

It started off great in the litle village but the further you got into it the less scarey it got, hard to be scared with a **** load of ammo and weapons.

Plus i just hated the total change from zombies to bug people and totally ditching the previous ongoing Resi story, its like taking mario and luigi and throwing them into the metroid world for the sake of making a few extra bucks...too much? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RE2 horror survival - "****, i only got 5 Magnum bullets and 2 big herbs left, i really hope it will be enough to dodge the big bastard in green coat! i finnaly got green key, i hope there will be more supplies in that room, or i am ****ED!

And that was fine when it was RE2, but by RE3 it was cleared that it was a tired and dull format that was going nowhere. Much like Tomb Raider 3, RE3 did nothing to move on the series and left people bored with the franchise. RE4 saved it.

And that was fine when it was RE2, but by RE3 it was cleared that it was a tired and dull format that was going nowhere. Much like Tomb Raider 3, RE3 did nothing to move on the series and left people bored with the franchise. RE4 saved it.

i take RE3 over RE4 any day.

RE3 had those moments too.

i bet alot of people would love re1-3 remake, not re4, but you know... it takes effort to remake those, wheres re4 you need to put higher resolution.

even GTtrailers said it is just a cash in and lazy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Asmodean wrote: »
    Meh I'm not a huge follower of graphics in games to be honest. I couldn't care less about what the game looks like a long as it's a good game. I loved RE4 and CV but as others have mentioned it's just a reskin so it adds nothing new to the game itself really. This whole 'HD remake!!!' trend is just another method of claiming a bit of extra cash from our wallets.
    I don't buy into it, unless it's a proper remake that can actually add to an otherwise excellent game such as the RE1 and MGS remakes for the gamecube.

I would be of the same opinion, not really caring too much about graphics, as long as the gameplay was fun and with RE4 it certainly was.

I also agree with johnny_ultimate in that the series did need to inject some new life into itself with RE4. The series were built on tension coming from both your surroundings and usually a tight inventory. This was the case with the first three games on psone and continued on with Code Veronica X, Resident Evil 0 and the Original remake on the Gamecube. The latter games used the psone game's formula with, at the time, better graphics.

Resident Evil 4 did need something new to make itself stand out. The spooky atmosphere was still there and there were some good set pieces for both action and atmosphere so I would consider RE4 a natural progression for the series as opposed to something completely different.

• Advertisement

RE5 horror survival - " oh look, i just need to follow this yellow line, oh look, gold coins and rubies! Theres like monsters and zombies crazy people around, but i bet there will be someone who will buy them all!

Its not an RE game.

But we're not arguing about RE5 :confused: I doubt anyone here is willing to call RE5 anything than merely OK - it was too far towards action, with bosses that took glowing orange weak points to hilarious new extremes.

RE4 is not RE5. Nor is it RE2. And that's entirely the point. Resident Evil 1-3 are still great games. But they're off their time, there's no doubt about that. Things like 'the green key' were never good puzzle design, although they're happily carried over to the newer games to retain that feeling. And as for tight ammo and medicine? Well, that is even more pronounced in 4 than it is in the others. How much time was spent desperately running around searching for shotgun shells as the crowds slowly overwhelmed you? And herbs and sprays were an equally precious resource. The difference is that the combat mechanics in RE4 are, you know, good as opposed to the charming but old-fashioned survival horrors of old. And with countless Silent Hills, Project Zeros, Dino Crisises, Clock Towers and who knows how many others, survival horror as it used to be is a well worn genre.

Shinji Mikami is one of gaming's great visionaries and entertainers, and he brought Resident Evil smack bang up-to-date with RE4. We as gamers often have a sense of entitlement - we demand freshness while moaning about change. A new 'traditional' Resi 4 would have been easy. Hell they even gave it a go:

But Mikami et al. decided it didn't work, or it was just on autopilot, so scrapped it and went balls out on a new build while staying true to the original. I'm genuinely surprised anyone could think it was a bad decision after playing through the glorious opening twenty minutes of RE4. That house siege, and the unexpected decapitation that cruelly ended my first attempt, are easily amongst my favourite, most exhilarating gaming moments of all times.

And hey, it could have been worse. You could have gotten Resident Evil 4: Devil May Cry as was once the plan.

Advertisement