Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilingual state, mar dhea?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liobarnach

deirdremf wrote: »
    Have you spoken to anyone in the office at Comhluadar?
    If there is anyone else in your area who is also bringing up their family in Irish or bilingually, they will be able to put you on to them.

Cén teanga an labhraíonn do chéile leis na páistí?
    Ar nós tú féin, ní Éireannach mo chéile, agus tá cupla teanga againn sa mbaile.
    Tá aithne agam ar roinnt daoine mar seo, agus bíonn Gaeilge, Béarla agus teanga eile ag na páistí!

Was thinking of emailing Comhluadar about it...

I have since contacted the local Gaelscoil & got the name of an Irish teacher who is giving lessons, but I would prefer a ciorcal comhrá or to find another Mum, as money is tight. If I really want to pull this off, I need to find support.

Níl agam ach beagán Gaeilge... Tá Béarla ag mo Fhear Cheile (Is Sasanach ó dhúchas é).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Liobarnach wrote: »
    Was thinking of emailing Comhluadar about it...

I have since contacted the local Gaelscoil & got the name of an Irish teacher who is giving lessons, but I would prefer a ciorcal comhrá or to find another Mum, as money is tight. If I really want to pull this off, I need to find support.

Níl agam ach beagán Gaeilge... Tá Béarla ag mo Fhear Cheile (Is Sasanach ó dhúchas é).

If there is a gaelscoil nearby then there are defiantly other parents around your area who are interested in Irish, Why not get in touch with the school about starting a Ciorcal Comhrá in your area?

The Gealscoil will probably have a good few families on their waiting list too, why not talk to them about organising a get together for parents and kids as Gaeilge?

As your child grows up it will be really helpful to have other kids to play with as gaeilge, i'm sure some of the other parents would like this too.

How does the ciorcal comhrá work? I could maybe try to organise one, but doesn't there have to be a Shepherd to keep the sheep on the straight and narrow? If so, would they have to be paid? I am definitely not Shepherd material, far from it...

There is a ciorcal comhra at the local Gaelscoil but it's for parents only :eek:... There isn't a high demand for Gaeilge in this town as the public conversation classes were cancelled due to lack of demand. I am quite surprised there is a Gaelscoil in this town to be honest.

I guess I need to work a bit harder at making it happen :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

How does the ciorcal comhrá work? I could maybe try to organise one, but doesn't there have to be a Shepherd to keep the sheep on the straight and narrow? If so, would they have to be paid? I am definitely not Shepherd material, far from it...

There is a ciorcal comhra at the local Gaelscoil but it's for parents only :eek:... There isn't a high demand for Gaeilge in this town as the public conversation classes were cancelled due to lack of demand. I am quite surprised there is a Gaelscoil in this town to be honest.

Put your kid's name down for the school and start attending, I'd be really surprised if they refused you!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cytex

ciorcal comhrá are just a chat over coffe or a pint (there are other versions but that is the basic) basically you need 1 other person(talking to yourself gets you funny looks ) meet up at regular periods and chat to each other as gaeilge that is it doesnt really need a sheaperd just a couple of welcoming freindly people who talk in gaeilge and talk to the newcomers as well over coffee .

Enrol your kid in the gaelscoil tell them your plans to raise your kid and they will help you, Get in contact with Comhluadar and see if they are any other parents intrested in a ciorcal comhrá or any group activites as gaeilge.

Tell your family what you are doing they can help you . You need to take a deep breath and see that you are not in this on your own there is support there for you and you can do this.

• Advertisement

Thank you all very much, you've been very helpful... I have made a few phonecalls and am just waiting to hear back... will let you know how I get on!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

No need to pay anyone, a ciorcal comhrá is just an informal get together for people interested in speaking Irish now and again, they are usually held in a library or in a pub.

https://cnag.ie/index.php?page=feachtais&campaign_id=22&lang=ga

Advertisement