Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handgun license

Options
  • 18-09-2011 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all i currently have a rifle and im thinking about joining a shooting range for it but I also would like to buy a pistol for the range also and im just wondering is it possible to get a license for a pistol with our current new firearm laws? Thanks for any help much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

niteowl84 wrote: »
    Hi all i currently have a rifle and im thinking about joining a shooting range for it but I also would like to buy a pistol for the range also and im just wondering is it possible to get a license for a pistol with our current new firearm laws? Thanks for any help much appreciated!!!

Pistol, .22lr
    5 shot mag capacity (normally plugged to meet this requirement)
    .22lr revolver one chamber plugged to meet this requirement.

You need to be a member of an authorised Pistol range.

There is a list of Pistols that are on the reccommended approved list.
    See some below.

Baikal IZH 35
    Baikal IZH 35M
    Benelli MP90S
    Benelli MP95E
    Beretta U22 Neos\87
    Browning Buckmark
    FAS Domino SP602
    FAS Domino SP607
    FAS Domino SP 607 Light
    Feinwerbkau AW 93
    Feinwerbkau AW 93 Light
    Frankonia Favorit
    Hammerli 208\S
    Hammerli 280
    Hammerli SP 20\SP 20 RRS\Xesse
    Matchguns MG2\E
    Matchguns MG2\E-RF
    Morini CM102E\CM22E\M\RF
    Pardini SPE
    Pardini SP or SP Rapid Fire
    Pardini SP1 or SP 1 Rapid Fire
    Sako Tri-Ace
    Smith & Wesson 22A\41\617
    Ruger Mark I\ II\ III
    Taurus 94
    Tesro TS 22-2
    Unique DES 69\U
    Walther GSP or GSP expert
    Walther SP22\SSP\M4
    Walther KSP\SSP

It's down to your local super after that. I know of one guy licenced a pistol after 14 days from filling out FCA1 to collection.
    I know other guys who had to wait considerably longer.

There is a very nice Pistol for sale in the For Sale Section here, I'd by it myself If I had the Drachma's :o
    He has dropped his asking price to a very reasonable price.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73047223&postcount=1

There are a couple of pistol ranges in Ireland.
    Where abouts in general would best suit you N,S,E,W?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭niteowl84

Hi Tackleberry thanks for replying, So does that mean you can only get a .22 and not any higher calber under any circimstances?

Hi Tackleberry thanks for replying, So does that mean you can only get a .22 and not any higher calber under any circimstances?

People over 85 with there grandparents present can licence any pistol over .22lr.

Other than that for lack of a better word, No.
    Now if you know Alan Shatter and get him to change the SI then maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Only a week ago i got my grant letter for a pistol. Its a sig mosquito which isnt on "the list". It took me ten weeks to get it. Its a .22 with the magazine plugged to only take five rounds. I have two rifles so i was ok with what security i had in the house as there all unrestricted. Im a member of the midlands range which is the reason i put down for needing it. So if you join a range you should be ok to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

People over 85 with there grandparents present can licence any pistol over .22lr.

my granddad shoots this is how he got his

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi. Pistol shooting is a great hobby and if you are interested, then you should go ahead and apply.

You'll have to join an authorised pistol club.

Then you'll have to source the .22 pistol that you want. It is easier if you stick to the pistols that TAC mentioned as they are on the Official Garda Guidelines. Anything off the list and you are at the whim of the Super.

Apply for the licence stating your reason for needing the pistol is target shooting. This can be the only reason for having a pistol. If you put down self defence or hunting, you haven't a snowballs chance in hell.

Sit back and probably wait for the full three months to pass because the Super won't be in any hurry to grant you a licence.

Best of luck if you are applying. It is a lot of hoops to jump through but well worth it when you finally get your gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think what Tack means is that licencing of centerfire pistols has been grandfathered - ie. if you had a licence for one before Nov 2008, you can apply to renew that licence for that pistol; but you can't transfer the licence, you can't get a new licence for a new pistol and you aren't even guaranteed that the old licence will be renewed.

All that said, if the Restricted List was amended to make centerfire pistols unrestricted (which would only require the Minister's assent), that would change instantly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Hi. Pistol shooting is a great hobby and if you are interested, then you should go ahead and apply.

+1
    You'll have to join an authorised pistol club.

I hate to sound pedantic, but any authorisaed range that caters for pistol shooting will suffice. It doesn't have to be pistol club only.
    If you put down self defence or hunting, you haven't a snowballs chance in hell.

What ever you do make no metion of self defence. It is not allowed as the RKBA (right to keep and bear arms) has no place in Irish law and if this topic gets mentioned you can kiss any hope of the license goodsye. I'll stop there as discussion of this topic is not permitted on Boards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I presume at some stage in the near future a shooting organisation of some type will ask shatter to reconsider the centrefire pistol situation, is there any indication of his attitude to firearms ?

rowa wrote: »
    I presume at some stage in the near future a shooting organisation of some type will ask shatter to reconsider the centrefire pistol situation, is there any indication of his attitude to firearms ?

My understanding is he is less keen than the last lad was.
    I have never met him or heard him speak on the subject, I only have second hand info from reasonably reliable sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I do know he was involved with an anti-fieldsports organisation, but thought he might see common sense.

I do know he was involved with an anti-fieldsports organisation, but thought he might see common sense.

Common sense would not be anti fieldsports :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That anti-fieldsports organisation didn't think much of him, don't forget. He voted the way they wanted on a bill about coursing, but against the way they wanted on carted stag hunting.
    Me, I'm still waiting to see what way things go the first time it comes up...

Advertisement