Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What nature could we re/introduce to Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Bears! They were in Ireland at one stage, it'd make a trip to the park a lot more interesting.

And mammoths,.

I think those species only co-exist in Cloud Cuckoo Land. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

OK, but the bears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

kylith wrote: »
    I can't really think of anything to reintroduce, but I'd like to see grey squirrels wiped out so that the red could make a comeback.
    it would be a full time job to rid an area of them, iv shot loads in my area and got a few with snares but gave up targeting them. Ill still kill them if i see them when im out tho. The fieldsports channel did a good episode on them last year, they have full time rangers in parks in the UK trapping them

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    OK, but the bears!

Where is the habitat?

Where is the habitat?
    Glndalough obviously, plenty of goats, deer and unsuspecting hikers for food and thick forest for habitate. we could be onto something here:pac:

• Advertisement

Lord help your foolish wit if you think Glendalough constitutes a dense forest habitat. :p

The problem with the re-introduction of any large land animal in Ireland is that none of our parks are big enough for a decent range. That is why we either start with the basics and build that habitat, over many years, or we cooncentrate on preserving what we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

That is why we either start with the basics and build that habitat, over many years, or we cooncentrate on preserving what we have.
    Surely both, or is that also Cloud Cuckoo Land :)

Mothman wrote: »
    Surely both, or is that also Cloud Cuckoo Land :)

No, you are perfectly right. I phrased that very badly. Of course we could, and should, do both. :o

Lord help your foolish wit if you think Glendalough constitutes a dense forest habitat. :p

The problem with the re-introduction of any large land animal in Ireland is that none of our parks are big enough for a decent range. That is why we either start with the basics and build that habitat, over many years, or we cooncentrate on preserving what we have.
    iv been off the beeten track in that area plenty of times it gets quite thick in places!!

Your right tho we have no where big enough, iv hiked some of the remotist places in this country but your still never far from civilisation really

Advertisement