Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What nature could we re/introduce to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

It would be illegal to introduce non native wildlife. Look what happened when someone stoopid let grey squirrels loose in County ?longford!

I would like to see voles brought north to help our dwindling barn owls.

No deer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

None! Too much damage could be done

Cork boy, take a look at the clip in this link http://natgeotv.com/uk/invaders/videos/pigs
    And have a look around the rest of the site, shows the damage introduced species can do. Iv seen all the full documentary think its being repeted soon on nat geo, well worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

The best quote in this regard is the First Rule of Brain Surgery: First do no harm.

Before we look at bringing anything into the country we sgould mind and nourish what we have, too much has been lost.

If we could persuade people, including those who designed REPS, that habitat is the key to supporting species, we would achieve so much more than any introduction.

And good habitat isn't always "tidy"< so maybe the Tidy Towns people would be persuaded towards fewer hanging baskets and a few more bramble patches.

I know, dream on......

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

None! Too much damage could be done

Indeed - the deliberate/accidental introduction of non-native species is in the top 3 leading causes of human induced extinction world-wide. In countries like Australia and New Zealand and many tropical islands it has accounted for a significant chunk of their entire biota:(

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thank goodness nobody has taken up the challenge from the OP and started the nonsense of I'd introduce XXX and YYY because they'd be pretty, or fierce, or whatever.

You do no introduce any species (irrespective of law) as it only ever leads to problems.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If we could bring back what we once had i'd be satisfied enough.Our Countryside is barren of Flying insects and songbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Thank goodness nobody has taken up the challenge from the OP and started the nonsense of I'd introduce XXX and YYY because they'd be pretty, or fierce, or whatever.

I was going to suggest introducing alligators to the Phoenix Park ponds and the Royal Canal. They would gobble up all those dangerous terrapins that have been illegaly released there......;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The OP didn't mantion 'non-native' species even though there was a link to the parrots in London.
    Of course the introduction of non-native species, intentionally or otherwise, is a bad thing but isn't the re-introduction of native species like the raptors, a great thing?

• Advertisement

In fairness, he asked about Introductions not Re-introductions and it was with reference to the Parrots thread. He also suggested alien predators to keep a balance with alien introductions. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Fair enough, my ears are ringing, but it would be interesting to have a chat about the re-introduction of 'lost' native species like the wolf and think about the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

slowburner wrote: »
    Fair enough, my ears are ringing, but it would be interesting to have a chat about the re-introduction of 'lost' native species like the wolf and think about the implications.

Heres a thread which covered the possible reintroduction of the wolf.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73580042

or ... if you could what would you like to see re/introduced

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

It would be nice to see the corn bunting back. We'd have to reestablish suitable habitat first.

yes that would be good.

I saw plenty while in Majorca in late April

The "if you could" leaves everything in play. If I could, I'd like to see every lost species of grass, flower, moss, tree, insect, mammal, & bird re-introduced. However, without space and the proper environment very little is practically possible. If we could concentrate on ensuring that the bio-diversity of our country can support species naturally, we'd be better off. If we could take action to preserve what we have left we'd be better employed than trying to re-introduce Wolves or Beavers for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I made slight edit to title to cover re-introduce

The "if you could" leaves everything in play. If I could, I'd like to see every lost species of grass, flower, moss, tree, insect, mammal, & bird re-introduced. However, without space and the proper environment very little is practically possible. If we could concentrate on ensuring that the bio-diversity of our country can support species naturally, we'd be better off. If we could take action to preserve what we have left we'd be better employed than trying to re-introduce Wolves or Beavers for example.
    Agree 100%.
    Conversely, if there is an option to re-introduce a species, then the habitat necessary for that species becomes important and has a higher profile and becomes protected accordingly (all being well).
    Win/win situation really.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%.
    Conversely, if there is an option to re-introduce a species, then the habitat necessary for that species becomes important and has a higher profile and becomes protected accordingly (all being well).
    Win/win situation really.

Absolutely. This is the point. We would be better off forgetting for the moment about the big prestige species and concentrate on the eco-system at a much lower level. Get that right and much more will follow. The habitat must come first. We need a mind-set that values the habitat and all the valuable links within Nature. Have the habitat and the species will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

If our native woodlands could be reinstated, the expansion of natural habitat would have it's own regenerative effect, which would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 java30

The re-introduction of the eagles were valid and fine because it was humans that killed them off and it was only a few decades ago really.

Anything else(beavers etc) would be wrong imo.

java30 wrote: »
    The re-introduction of the eagles were valid and fine because it was humans that killed them off and it was only a few decades ago really.

Anything else(beavers etc) would be wrong imo.
    In this hypothetical situation - why have a cut off point in time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 java30

In this hypothetical situation - why have a cut off point in time?

The Irish countryside is too managed today, to re-introduce our extinct mammals. Which is a real shame. Eagles on the otherhand can easily survive in our countryside as they live in our wildest places and their natural habitat isn't as much affected by humans as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't really think of anything to reintroduce, but I'd like to see grey squirrels wiped out so that the red could make a comeback.

+1.
    I try to control them here, humanely. I know it is the right thing to do but I haven't got the stomach for it.

I would like to see a reintroduction of native grasses to grazing land - that Italian rye grass is a horrendous thing and much overlooked as an invasive species.

I would also like to see the reintroduction of a type of human - the type that uses a scythe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

+1.
    I try to control them here, humanely. I know it is the right thing to do but I haven't got the stomach for it.

I hear they're delicious, if that's any help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Bears! They were in Ireland at one stage, it'd make a trip to the park a lot more interesting.

And mammoths,.

Advertisement