Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭derkav

Hi everyone,
    Two questions for you.

I am looking at installing a stove in my dining room. The room is open plan to the kitchen and large enough so I am Putting in a 12Kw non boiler stove. I have picked this one >>> http://www.northsouthsales.com/12kw-multifuel-stove-prod-96.html . Anyone know this stove or if they are any good? I got a price off these guys of €1880 delivered including my hearth 3'x3' well its a square with a corner missing so (3' x3' x2' x 2') if that makes any sense, granite and all my flue pipes.

My next question is cost of flue. I have been ringing around to try to get the best price for the flue but I cant seem to get it below €900 nearly twice the cost of the stove :eek:.

the list of flue parts i need is as follows.

1 x rain cap 2 x 1mtr twin wall 3 x 1/2 mtr twin. 1x 45 deg tpiece with cap twin wall, 2x 45 deg twin angle 1 x single_ twin adapter, 1 x 45deg single angle,1x .25 mtr single wall, 1x 1 mtr single wall, 3x adjustable wall mount brackets. These are all 6" btw.

Do you know of anywhere I could get a better price?

Thanks for your help

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭avfc1874

hi does anyone know where we can get the stratford tf90b,there was a place in carlow but i can't get in touch with them, we're in offaly thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Stove Fan wrote: »
    If you are only ever interested in a stove for heating hot water then buy one with a clip in stainless steel boiler and a direct hot cylinder.

If you want to run rads as well then a stove with a wraparound boiler in steel will be fine so long as the hot water cylinder is indirect (with coil)

With regards to built in and clip in boilers. The majority of built in boilers are made of steel and so would be unsuitable for a direct system.
    The clip in boiler is smaller and can be bought in either steel or stainless steel and is sized for heating the hot water cylinder only. The latter is what you want.

If you only want hot water buy a 3kw clip in stainless steel boiler.

Stove Fan:)

Thanks stovefan for all your help - it's made a real difference! I'll keep you all posted on how I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

derkav wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Two questions for you.

I am looking at installing a stove in my dining room. The room is open plan to the kitchen and large enough so I am Putting in a 12Kw non boiler stove. I have picked this one >>> http://www.northsouthsales.com/12kw-multifuel-stove-prod-96.html . Anyone know this stove or if they are any good? I got a price off these guys of €1880 delivered including my hearth 3'x3' well its a square with a corner missing so (3' x3' x2' x 2') if that makes any sense, granite and all my flue pipes.

My next question is cost of flue. I have been ringing around to try to get the best price for the flue but I cant seem to get it below €900 nearly twice the cost of the stove :eek:.

1 x rain cap 2 x 1mtr twin wall 3 x 1/2 mtr twin. 1x 45 deg tpiece with cap twin wall, 2x 45 deg twin angle 1 x single_ twin adapter, 1 x 45deg single angle,1x .25 mtr single wall, 1x 1 mtr single wall, 3x adjustable wall mount brackets. These are all 6" btw.

Thanks for your help

D

Hi:) The stove you are interested in is an imported stove from China that is sold under various names. One being the fogo premier. There are a few happy reviews on one stove sellers site. Thats if they are genuine reviews? Google search fogo premier and they were happy with it. If you can pay more it would be better to buy a known brand. Try hunter or villager stoves. Are you sure you need such a big stove?
    Unfortunately the twin wall flue pipes and fittings are expensive:(

avfc1874 wrote: »
    hi does anyone know where we can get the stratford tf90b,there was a place in carlow but i can't get in touch with them, we're in offaly thanks

Hi:) Dont know any of these suppliers but came up on a google.ie search.

http://www.google.ie/#q=stratfordTF90B&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryIE&cr=countryIE&sa=X&ei=Sh2nTuXDDcSxhAf7r8WTDg&sqi=2&ved=0CA8QpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9441cf14c35058af&biw=1441&bih=619

It would be great if you could get a recommended supplier:)

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,
    Two questions for you.

Thanks for your help

D

Hi:) The stove you are interested in is an imported stove from China that is sold under various names. One being the fogo premier. There are a few happy reviews on one stove sellers site. Thats if they are genuine reviews? Google search fogo premier and they were happy with it. If you can pay more it would be better to buy a known brand. Try hunter or villager stoves. Are you sure you need such a big stove?
    Unfortunately the twin wall flue pipes and fittings are expensive:(

Hi stove fan. thanks fir your reply. my dining room and kitchen are25foot x 13foot. and we are hoping that it will also heat the rest of the house by leaving the doors to the hall. we are on a fairly tight budget too about 2000 all in. we just got an insert stove fitted in the fireplace and that has been great so warm and cuts out the draft from chimney too.

do you think im daft going for a 12kw stove for this size area? What brands would you recommend? We had also looked at a different one but i cant remember the brand.

Thanks again.

Hi stove fan. thanks fir your reply. my dining room and kitchen are25foot x 13foot. and we are hoping that it will also heat the rest of the house by leaving the doors to the hall. we are on a fairly tight budget too about 2000 all in. we just got an insert stove fitted in the fireplace and that has been great so warm and cuts out the draft from chimney too.

do you think im daft going for a 12kw stove for this size area? What brands would you recommend? We had also looked at a different one but i cant remember the brand.

Thanks again.

Hi From this site depending on insulation levels your looking at 3.5kw to 7kw for this sized room.
    http://www.stanleystoves.com/calculator I personally wouldn't fit anything over 7-8kw even if the insulation is non existant. We have an 8kw boiler stove in a room 5.7m by 6.2m X 2.7m and it's great. The room requires about 5kw to heat it.. The room is a new extension. The stove is a villager berkley multifuel.

Have a look at hunter stoves and villager stoves.

Hi Stove fan,

Ok Ive gone away from that fogo thingey and I have got a good price for an 8kw heat design, fire warm stove. >>> http://www.firewarm.ie/freestanding_stove There Irish and running for 12 years, so no problem to get any parts, ( apparently). So I have got stove 4 skamolex panels granite hearth and all my flue's and materials required for fitting for €1800.

Thanks for your advice now all I have to do is get it fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

Guinness queen here.
    You can find the shop you are looking for in the Yellow Pages. Go to Stoves Cant remember name, they are very helpful especially the young lady. the next road to the car test centre you have to look carefully down by the side of a garage. Husquavarna and peugeot car sales is opposite. If I can find this site again I will give u the exact name tomorrow.

Dear Stove Fan,
    Well I have finally made a decision re my stove, having taken your advice about the high capacity of previous ones mentioned. I did check out the Franco Belge and it got a few bad reviews on what stove .com. I am now on to the Dovre 425 ? or Dovre 500.
    I think they are 7 and 8 KW resp. I like them as they seem to be the correct value for my very cold room 19x15x8ft thick cold stone walls. Anthracite will be my fuel, also some wood/turf to a much lesser degree. Also want to keep it in overnight. Would like it to heat hallway by leaving door open. Does this seem ok output to you. I also love the Chesney but out of my price range.
    I have a Bronpi wood burning stove, sold to me by a Kilkenny outfit as multi fuel. I really wanted it as a coal burner. Will change it if I can. So u see why I am anxious, dont wnt to be cheated a second time. I am going to buy from the stove shop in Carlow. They are to date most helpful with a huge variety of stoves. Pensioners need protection. Thanks in anticipation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Solid Fuel

Hi
    Question on how best to design a Primary circuit and avoid back flow when fire not lit and oil operating into a duel copper cylinder causing stove coil in tank to heat and possible start back-flow in primary circuit. Pls see attached for layout.

Feel free to throw in any other ideas as stove is currently in the throws of being put into single story house, piping is up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I have been shopping since August and feel like I am going around in circles after initial misleading advice.
    I have a large spacious house to heat with poor insulation so far. *( getting double glazing next week). I want a large boiler capacity to help the central heating as much as possible. Room where it will be is ajoining kitchen and will eventually knock down connecting wall.

There are thousands of stoves. Have been suggested by one shop
    Parkray consort15B
    Charnwood 16B
    Harmony 3B.

Locals shop seems to sell a lot of Stanley. What are the most important factors to choose apart from the kw output/

Dont know which to get as regards cast iron v steel ,
    single v double doors

Also people seem to be spending huge amonuts of money on coal ( 500-750 quid for months of use. To me this would seem almost as much as a tank of oil??
    Am getting frustrated and annnoyed at this point.
    HELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

looking for a little advice...i have got a back boiler in my sitting room fireplace which i disconnected years back when i got the oil...i am now considering an insert stove..
    do i have to remove the back boiler or can i reconnect and work it with the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Hey guys,
    all your information and recommendations are great.
    I am thinking of changing my open fireplace to a solid fuel stove. I am trying to find some pictures of rooms where people have done this already(to see the size of the stove v the fireplace, the base of the stove v the old hearth, etc)
    Do people have these type of pictures that they can show off to me, would love to see them. this is my fireplace as it is.(see attached)
    thanks,
    johnny

Dear Stove Fan,
    Well I have finally made a decision re my stove, having taken your advice about the high capacity of previous ones mentioned. I did check out the Franco Belge and it got a few bad reviews on what stove .com. I am now on to the Dovre 425 ? or Dovre 500.
    I think they are 7 and 8 KW resp. I like them as they seem to be the correct value for my very cold room 19x15x8ft thick cold stone walls. Anthracite will be my fuel, also some wood/turf to a much lesser degree. Also want to keep it in overnight. Would like it to heat hallway by leaving door open. Does this seem ok output to you. I also love the Chesney but out of my price range.
    I have a Bronpi wood burning stove, sold to me by a Kilkenny outfit as multi fuel. I really wanted it as a coal burner. Will change it if I can. So u see why I am anxious, dont wnt to be cheated a second time. I am going to buy from the stove shop in Carlow. They are to date most helpful with a huge variety of stoves. Pensioners need protection. Thanks in anticipation.

I honestly think you should be roasting with either stove for your room size:D Dove stoves do seem to have a good view of the fire and good reviews. Chesney seems to be a good brand and very well liked but pricey.

Keep warm:)

Solid Fuel wrote: »
    Hi
    Question on how best to design a Primary circuit and avoid back flow when fire not lit and oil operating into a duel copper cylinder causing stove coil in tank to heat and possible start back-flow in primary circuit. Pls see attached for layout.

Feel free to throw in any other ideas as stove is currently in the throws of being put into single story house, piping is up next.

Hi:) You really need a plumber who is familiar with installing boiler stoves with other boilers. The plumber really needs to see your plumbing layout and can advice and plumb it all in safely.

In your diagram I wouldn't have the gravity flow to cylinder going into the loft and then down to cylinder. It may not work effectively. It would be better to fit the new twin coil cylinder as near the stove as possible as it's the installation of the stove that needs to be the most safe as it has no control once lit. The cylinder wants to be heated by gravity circulation and fitted raised up in a cupboard to side of the stove or in aother room behind. The loft above the stove may be an option. The oil boiler could be anywhere really in the house etc as this has proper controls. Off or on.

Your plumber will design a safe system.

I have been shopping since August and feel like I am going around in circles after initial misleading advice.
    I have a large spacious house to heat with poor insulation so far. *( getting double glazing next week). I want a large boiler capacity to help the central heating as much as possible. Room where it will be is ajoining kitchen and will eventually knock down connecting wall.

There are thousands of stoves. Have been suggested by one shop
    Parkray consort15B
    Charnwood 16B
    Harmony 3B.

Locals shop seems to sell a lot of Stanley. What are the most important factors to choose apart from the kw output/

Dont know which to get as regards cast iron v steel ,
    single v double doors

Also people seem to be spending huge amonuts of money on coal ( 500-750 quid for months of use. To me this would seem almost as much as a tank of oil??
    Am getting frustrated and annnoyed at this point.
    HELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!

Hi:) The first things we need to establish is how many rads are you wanting to heat and what are the measurements of each and whether they are doubles or single radiators? We need this information to find out what KW requirements you need in a stoves boiler to heat your rads.
    What size is the room the stove is going to be installed in? You say you are going to enlarge the room? What would the room now measure?

Always go for the best stove for your budget:) Always buy a well known quality brand. Single door is more airtight and gives a greater view of the fire. The glass costs more especially if it's curved. Cast iron or steel see what I wrote on page one choosing a stove.

I don't exactly know the current cost of oil but if it's 0.90c a litre then 1,000 litres would cost 900 euro:eek:

If they are spending over 500-750 on coal for a few months heating then they must live in a mansion or have a seriously inefficient or badly installed stove/fire:cool:

We used 50 40kg bags of housecoal in our boiler stove last winter heating our detatched extended 2 bed bungalow with reasonable insulation. We started lighting our stove in September until mid April. We had it lit most days for 13 hours a day and used the 50 bags over that time. 650 euros worth. We like the whole house around 20-24 degrees:)

looking for a little advice...i have got a back boiler in my sitting room fireplace which i disconnected years back when i got the oil...i am now considering an insert stove..
    do i have to remove the back boiler or can i reconnect and work it with the stove

You would have to remove the back boiler and buy an inset boiler stove. The boiler that was disconnected was for an open fire.

dear Stove Fan,
    Thanks again, I hate to labour the point but are you saying that the output of 7kw dovre 500 stove is still too large for my room? Have you any idea what the temperature would be at full blast?
    I had hoped that it will also heat the small porch area. I really am willing to take your advice. But I will go into a decline if I have to start my search all over again. I know Dovre have a smaller one also, cant remember the output.
    I promise this will be my last time of asking!!!
    Incidntally, the shop in Carlow, that was requested is called the Flame Fire Centre.
    059 9137694, O'Brien Road (rear of Maxol Garage. Carlow
    I was only admiring the Chesney, I could not buy one.

You would have to remove the back boiler and buy an inset boiler stove. The boiler that was disconnected was for an open fire.

thanks for info...mulberry stoker front for fireplaces with existing back boilers would this be a good alternative..

• Advertisement

dear Stove Fan,
    Thanks again, I hate to labour the point but are you saying that the output of 7kw dovre 500 stove is still too large for my room? Have you any idea what the temperature would be at full blast?
    I had hoped that it will also heat the small porch area. I really am willing to take your advice. But I will go into a decline if I have to start my search all over again. I know Dovre have a smaller one also, cant remember the output.
    I promise this will be my last time of asking!!!
    Incidntally, the shop in Carlow, that was requested is called the Flame Fire Centre.
    059 9137694, O'Brien Road (rear of Maxol Garage. Carlow
    I was only admiring the Chesney, I could not buy one.

The 7kw Dovre will be more than adequate for your room and should suit it perfectly:). It should warm up other areas of the house too:D

thanks for info...mulberry stoker front for fireplaces with existing back boilers would this be a good alternative..

Hi do mulberry do such a thing, just a door to convert the open fire to a stove to use the existing back boiler? I would imagine if you wanted a boiler inset fire it would have to be the mulberry stoker inset boiler stove.

The old boiler removed and the new inset boiler stove installed?

Have you a link to the stoker front?

Hi stove fan,
    Many thanks for all your help, you are very patient.

best wishes gq

Hi do mulberry do such a thing, just a door to convert the open fire to a stove to use the existing back boiler? I would imagine if you wanted a boiler inset fire it would have to be the mulberry stoker inset boiler stove.

The old boiler removed and the new inset boiler stove installed?

Have you a link to the stoker front?

mulberry and boro do one would be great if they worked...what do you think?

http://www.mulberrystoves.com/news.html
    http://www.borustoves.ie/doras.html

mulberry and boro do one would be great if they worked...what do you think?

http://www.mulberrystoves.com/news.html
    http://www.borustoves.ie/doras.html

Looks very interesting:) May be worth a try? The only thing is there wouldn't be much radiated heat to the room as the glass would stop most. It would generate more heat to the boiler possibly though.

May work ok with the full sized steel back boiler. It's got to be an improvement than an open fire. At least it will be more controllable.

It's really anyones guess unless someone has tried one.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

Hi all,
    Firstly, thanks to all the good advice given on these threads.
    But, I can't seem to find answers to my problems on existing posts so hope direct questions will yield results:

I will have approx 150mm clearance (top and sides) around my proposed stove (small 5kW job) based on the dimensions of the ope prepared. Now, some of this is currently wooden supports/joists for the pink fireboard panels which have been put on the chimney breast.

I want to find a thin material/board to protect these combustibles.

In the Builder's Providers, and where I bought the stove, they are saying to use Tegral Hydropanel (which the poster says is "Fire Resistant" and the website says is "non-flammable"), and there are pictures of flames bouncing off the panel.

From diagram 8 of Part J, it appears no protection needed if combustible material >150mm....). Not sure if that's the full picture though as I understand 300m clearance needed from top of unit?

Is there a difference between non-Combustible materials and non-flammable materials?

Is the Hydropanel material sufficient protection (I can't find solid answers on the website)? Would even Scamalex (which is very expensive) be sufficient? Is fireboard (the pink panels) any use?

Grateful for any advice/ guidance.
    Regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flugus

Hello everyone,

We have a 13 year old Aarrow SM90 which developed a very minor leak in the inside upper left corner about a year ago, which we managed to "fix". However the other day the leak started up again rather more strongly (roughly, a good big puddle in the space of a couple of hours), so we had to drain the system.

Are we correct in assuming that it's more or less impossible to mend something like this? Particularly as you can't see exactly where this leak is originating. Just want to ask for a few opinions before we have to dig into our pockets for a new stove.

Thanks for any help!

flugus

flugus wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

We have a 13 year old Aarrow SM90 which developed a very minor leak in the inside upper left corner about a year ago, which we managed to "fix". However the other day the leak started up again rather more strongly (roughly, a good big puddle in the space of a couple of hours), so we had to drain the system.

Are we correct in assuming that it's more or less impossible to mend something like this? Particularly as you can't see exactly where this leak is originating. Just want to ask for a few opinions before we have to dig into our pockets for a new stove.

Thanks for any help!

flugus

Yep time for a new stove:( If you can see where it's leaking you may be able to weld a patch over but the repair wouldn't last long and there is always a chance there is other weak spots too.

I personally wouldn't risk repairing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Hi lads. I've been looking around for the last couple of weeks for an insert stove. I had an open eire in my sitting room and after last winter i swore i wouldn't waste that much money on feeding an open fire. I bought a Dimplex Wescott 4.3kw during the week and put it in today. I'm only using small amounts of turf as that's whats recomended and have to say its early days but it seems to be great so far. Its very simple to fit and for someone that's on a tight budget its a very reasonable price of €420. I should be able to recoup my money over a winter or 2 on solid fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 flugus

Thanks Stove Fan!

flugus

Advertisement