Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Tea with Oliver Callan

Options
  • 15-09-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭

I gave up on Nob Nation around the time of the Tiger Woods sex scandal - all the predictable golf/sex innuendo started to grate after a week - but I'm curious about how a full 30 mins show will do, so I'll be tuning in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I downloaded all the episodes from last year, and it's all very predictable and very repetitious... He's a very good mimic, but seriously needs some writers..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Wonder if they'll do a good Charlie Bird impression? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sweet Holy Mother of Christ on the Cross.

What the hell is this noise coming from my radio at the moment ?

Awful Awful Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Again, he has to resort to the childish smut innuendo (David Norris likes looking at the builders crack, tee hee). One thing I noticed is that he has to namecheck certain people he is impersonating. Otherwise, I'd be none the wiser as to who he is mimicking.

Lapin wrote: »
    Awful Awful Awful.

Have to agree, Lapin.. he taken over from where he left off.. good impressions and awful, lowest common denomitor humour.. bordering on offensive.. and how many times has he used the "up the Áras" joke
    "They call it the technical group, a sexist, pig headed, rag tag gang of inept independent TDS.. featuring Lord Ross (said with posh accent), Manky Ming and Mick Waffle"

Can he get away with saying this? It not satire, it's slanderous..

• Advertisement

Had to be a Cowen sketch sooner or later.

Enda Kenny: "Michael Noonan, how are the figures looking"..
    Noonan: "These are the worst set of figures I have ever seen"..
    Enda Kenny: "Enough about Tubridy, how is the country doing... "... everybody laughs..

Have to say, I did laugh at that bit.. particularly since he's on Tubridy's show.. and the sketch with Keano and Stan down the job centre was okay as well.. though he should know that Trigs is dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What the fcuk was that ****e??

I just cannot believe they axed Saturday View for this!!

Jesus now we have Charlie Bird in Paddy o Gorman mode.
    Not good enough RTE, not even close.

l.. though he should know that Trigs is dead :(

Even if the mutt was still alive he should have known the he was more than 8 years old, given that its more than 9 years since Keano flew back from Saipan to take the little mongrel for walkies. ;)

A minor quibble about a programme that merits a lot of major quibbles.

Bring back Rachel English. Saturday View was one of the best programmes on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Green Tea was absolute garbage - to think this replaced Saturday view....

Marian played a clip earlier (kerry team haka) and didnt even comment afterwards such was her embarrassment.

The reviews for this show will be very negative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

His David Norris came straight out of a Carry On Film. Subtle, this certainly wasn't.

I usually don't mind Nobnation, but this was a poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭GSF

Not really appropraite for the senior channel. You expect this sort of rubbish on 2FM - thats why nobody listens anymore perhaps - but not on RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Lapin wrote: »

What the hell is this noise coming from my radio at the moment ?

Awful Awful Awful.

the words "RTE" and "comedy" just do not go.

this fecking thing should be banned by the geneva convention.

there IS a place for comedy on radio but the national broadcaster just aint it. its TOO close to the corridors of power to ever deliver a really meaty satiracal show. when you compare this to gift grub/mario on vinnyb its no contest.

i dont think i even managed a smirke at any of this and TBH would rather the return of saturday view. school kids have done better on youtube.

i WILL say that the charlie bird show was a hell of alot better than i thought it was going to be. with montrose so often focusing on the D4 set it was refreshing to hear a show based in donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Heard this today, was shocked at how bad it was.

I used to love Saturday View with Rachel English, she was excellent. Charlie Bird was only ok I felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kennedyloftus

I heard this show in a pub today and everyone was laughing where I was! I think people who are fans of Saturday view probably don't get comedy... It was very up to date I thought. I'll definitely tune in next week it's very close to the bone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 interspoll

I actually enjoyed the show... the Paul Galvin stuff is class and I loved the pisstake on gerald kean. It was also the only media outlet to gut David Norris over his Congo roots and branding the EAster rising leaders as "terrorists". It's going to be a powerful weapon during the presidential election - I wouldn't be surprised if RTE tries to rein it in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, well, well !

2 posts in the space of 19 minutes by 2 first time contributors to Boards.ie in praise of the show following a day of negative reviews. :rolleyes:

Of course your opinion is welcome, but please pardon my suspicion all the same.

Whoever you are.

PS
    As for the comment suggesting that this programme is the only media outlet equating the 1916 leaders to "Terrorists", may I ask what media you are familiar with.

You've obviously never read much of Kevin Myers or Eoighan Harris (like them or loathe them).

I won't even mention the Daily Mail or Belfast Telegraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I heard this show in a pub today..

Out of curiosity what pub was it and where?

Not many laughs on today's show either.. mostly child level humour..

I like the twist on Miriam's personality all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Seriously chaps a bleeped swear word is not comedy it's lazy. Shocking quality so far, how long has this been running?

Oops I see there is a thread already , feel free to delete this.

• Advertisement

As long as the other thread, (that I've just updated) has been running, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the only bit to give me even a hint of a smile was the reference to joe duffys poll.

but for half an hourss worth of material thats a damning indictment.

ive said it before and ill say it again. RTE is TOO safe for proper comedy to flourish.

So, Kennedyloftus and interspoll, what did you think of this weeks show? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Charlie Bird was the one who doorstepped David Drumm... remember "Davd why are you hiding on the floor" or something similar... I think it was one of the last things he did as american correspondent.. Richard Crowley is over there now..

Richard Downes, I assume you meant.

--ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Not many laughs on today's show either.. mostly child level humour..

I like the twist on Miriam's personality all the same..

When a show has to resort to a swear word or sexual innuendo every 2 minutes to get a laugh you know its not up too much.

How long before the show is axed ? though I fear that the same geniuses who cancelled the ever popular Saturday View think they know what the listener should have to listen to....

Infoanon wrote: »
    When a show has to resort to a swear word or sexual innuendo every 2 minutes to get a laugh you know its not up too much..

The thing is, this was the same with last season's effort and they did nothing to try to improve it... Like I've said on this thread already, he's a very good mimic, but he cannot write... And without giving him a team of writers, there really was no point in doing a second series...

And as for getting rid of Saturday View...What a stupid decision.... Not impressed with Charlie Bird's unemployment survey program at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Sweet Jesus, such vitriole here.

I feel like I should be embarrassed for admitting I enjoy Green Tea and Oliver Callan, but you know what...I'm not. I find it funny. Shocking isn't it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Charlie Bird was the one who doorstepped David Drumm... remember "Davd why are you hiding on the floor" or something similar... I think it was one of the last things he did as american correspondent.. Richard Crowley is over there now..

And there I was sticking up for the wrong guy. It was indeed mr Bird. The only doorstepping I ever heard about in connection with this shameful period and he had to go to the US to do it. Maybe you can't remember Richard's name because he hasn't actually done anything memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Listened on the way home from work, keep wishing it would be over quickly.:(

It really is dreadful.:mad:

What were they thinking when they put Oliver Callan on Radio 1:mad:

Re RTE I always felt it would be great if posters could speak to an RTE rep on BOARDS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Um...Any of the moderation team care to tell me why the "George Lee back in the fold" thread has been merged with the thread on Green Tea?

Is Lee now considered part of the "comedy" team on RTÉ?

Advertisement