Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horology in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Is anyone aware of any colleges in Dublin which offer classes on watch repair ?

I would love to go on one!

Personally I learned from clocks first. Parts are bigger and harder to break. Then moving to watches becomes easier.

A great book I used is : Repairing old clocks and watches by Anthony Whitten.
    It is well written but it is an old book. So the diagrams are not the best by modern standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blackrock Reporter

Thanks Menas. That book has been recommended by an elderly watchmaker only last month. I have been playing around with dismantling and reassembling clocks for the past year but would now like to get more formal help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Menas wrote: »
    Personally I learned from clocks first. Parts are bigger and harder to break. Then moving to watches becomes easier.
    Exactly, though I started with old broken pocket watches. Like you say the scale makes things much easier. That said I couldn't service a watch. Not enough practice and far too likely to end up with a busted movement and a mainspring stuck in my eyeball.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly, though I started with old broken pocket watches. Like you say the scale makes things much easier. That said I couldn't service a watch. Not enough practice and far too likely to end up with a busted movement and a mainspring stuck in my eyeball.

I am the same. Hands are just too shaky and eyesight not perfect enough to fully service a watch. But I am ok at attempting small fixes, replacing parts etc..

Clocks = much easier!

Getting nowhere with finding a course on repairing clocks/watches. Are there any retired watchmakers on Boards who would be willing to give lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I realise that it's not only not in Dublin but not even in Ireland but have you thought about some of the residential courses offered by the BHI at Upton Hall. The prices seem almost reasonable, considering.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/courses
    http://www.bhi.co.uk/sites/default/files/u992/Info%20pack%202015%20programme%20-%20HJ%20trial.pdf
    http://www.bhi.co.uk/sites/default/files/Provisional%20booking%20form%202014_1.pdf

I'm slowly talking myself round to at least the 3-day quartz course - in a lifetime it will pay for itself in battery changes. Once I've had my first gin in the morning I'm figuring that the shakes won't be so much of a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/

Worth a look, haven't actually started it yet, still acquiring tools as cheaply as possible. One shot of whiskey and a quiet place to work away from the wife are important, also kneepads and magnets are vital watchmaking tools. A wickla granite kitchen worktop is the right height when sitting on a chair, but like bloody camouflage for small screws!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Thank you Carlton Browne and Blue 5000 for your helpful suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 peter135

Thought I'd just put my tuppence worth to this topic,just joined Boards I.e now so this is my first posting.Less than a year ago I started collecting watches like a lot of people on Adverts site,the first few watches were Seiko's both quartz and automatic,mainly from 1990 - 2015,but in the last six months I have changed to the older Automatics from the sixties and seventies and then got interested in taking them apart(to see what made them tick).When I first started it astounded me how anyone could work on such small parts,but after some perseverance and loss of numerous tiny screws I now find I can dismantle,clean and reassemble most ETA movements.Most of the tools I use are budget items obtained on Ebay,but it's until you try the cheaper tools you'll only find which tools you need to upgrade.I would recommend anyone starting out should try working on movements with slightly larger parts ,screws etc (I started with Sicura).It surprises me how one's sense of touch and steadiness improves with practice.
    I suppose a watchmaker/repairer would say I'm doing it all wrong,but hey,it keeps me out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,956 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to boards, peter135 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flashwatches

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I just came accross it.

How many would like to do a watch making class?

If there are sufficient numbers I will look into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Resurrect away Sir. We don't stand on ceremony hereabouts. :D Great offer too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I was discussing this today and it's certainly something we can put together. We are looking at what to cover in the class etc, but we can accommodate 3 - 4 people for a day course we are still working out details but that is very feasible. We'll discuss some more but is this what you are looking for?
    It would be run by Ireland's top watchmaker too so it would certainly be a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would be very interested in this. Cost and location and timing would be key!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I'm with Trigger on this one. If it's around Dublin I should be able to make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Me too....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

I would be very interested also.

oxocube wrote: »
    I'm with Trigger on this one. If it's around Dublin I should be able to make it :)
    It wouldn't be in Dublin, it would be down the country but I will be traveling down from Dublin so I can take 2 or 3 with me. We are still working out the course and logistics, I will post up the info when we work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

I'd be interested also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

yep, interested also.

• Advertisement

If such a course is starting, depending on location,count me in.

any more update on a course or has it just died a death?

Peter135

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

I would also be interested in this if its still going ahead....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

+1

This thread seems to be going on for over 5 years now and seems to be getting nowhere,like myself there seems to be a lot of you out there who really want to dabble in watches purely for pleasure(definitely not on a professional basis).Im assuming anyone looking for such a course has already some experience in dismantling/fixing/destroying watches and was just wondering in the absence of such courses might it not be a good idea for like minded people to have some form of informal meeting possibly in Dublin for starters in order to share our views and experiences .

Peter135

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

I assume that these classes never went ahead then? I'd still be very interested if anyone knows of a course today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

+1 on this too.

No problem travelling if that's what's needed. Would love to get over to the BHI at some stage to do one of their courses, but getting away for a week could be pushing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'm interested too, I've modded/ built a few but haven't touched servicing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Surely this is a thread that needs some @IrishPlayer given his recent experience?

I love the idea of it, I love the thought of at the very least being able to free a mainspring or lube my watches.

My eyes are very much my enemy in that hope tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

It goes without saying that I would absolutely love to attend such a class ,more than happy to help in anyway I can with setting up etc.

I have tried to get in contact with former and current watchmakers here but unfortunately without much success.

Regarding attending short courses, the BHI is the way to go, hopefully someday something similar will return in Ireland.

Advertisement