Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe wants to kill off the Motorcycle

Options
  • 11-09-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

The EU are voting on a raft of legislation/regulation concerning motorbikes. This will include:
    Anti-tampering laws.
    Compulsory ABS on bikes.
    Compulsory data-logging.

watch this for a more laymans understanding of this ridiculous nonsense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reXo-ygwStU&feature=player_embedded

Here and in France, there are plans to make compulsory the wearing of full sleeved Hi-Viz jackets for mototcyclists and pillion passengers.
    In France, they wish to ban any motorbike over 7 years old from major urban areas.

The Anti-tampering law: It would apply to the power unit from the airbox to the rear tyre. Not a single component between the two, including the two, would or could be legally changed or touched by the bike owner.

Basically the air and oil filter on my bike which i change regularly would be banned!!
    Also they would ban the selling of these items so basically that would be the end of motorcycle racing in ireland!
    Last years Northwest 200 was the largest out door sporting event held in Ireland. Over 200,000 people attended those races.
    It would also mean the end of the Isle of Man races!!

These laws if introduced would result in the closure of many bike shops and the lose of many jobs.

Motorcycling is a truly great and liberating thing. It's exhilarating, it's skilful and you see and experience the countryside in a totally different way.
    There's always cameraderie on the road. There's the sheer pleasure of spending time maintaining and learning about your own machine. They are amazing pieces of engineering.

Also recent regulations introduced here means that anyone who wishes to learn to ride a bike most spend upwards of 1,000 euro getting 16 hours of lessons with the Initial Bike Training IBT! Granted training is a most with bikes but the cost along with this will result in fewer people taking up motorcyles.
    Also i must add that getting a bike license is a long process as it stands.
    On completion of your driving test you are restricted to a certain power ratio for 2 years. After that you can drive what you like.

Im well aware of the dangers of riding my bike. It take the utmost care. I check my bike once a week to see is it in good nick, if it isnt i get it fixed asap. On the road im thinking two bends ahead.

Protests are being organised for around europe on the 25th of september.
    There will be many protest ride outs around Ireland, Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Athlone sligo etc. etc.
    I will be at my local protest in Galway. If you see us honk or give us a wave!!!:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

God I hate the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Protest run being organised around Killybegs. I will be showing my support

Is there any truth in the EU also wanting all riders to wear white helmets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

about time!there death traps and half of people that own a bike cant f*cking ride it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

As a motorcyclist i'd prefer if the EU and the nanny state it brings fecked right off. Oh and people saying "motorcycles are deadly etc..." you are right, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I love the EU, but it's ridiculous to ban motorcycles. What's the reasoning?

TBH, people driving cars are alot more unsafe because they "feel" safe all the time because they have a car around them to protect them, thereby causing more accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Next thing you know we will all be forced to drive smart cars, and all other vehicles will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shiroki

Im one of the people who wanted to take it up but couldn't because of the extra IBT costs. I was hoping to have another crack at saving for it but if this goes through i'm just gonna move to the US :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

about time!there death traps and half of people that own a bike cant f*cking ride it!

the same can be said of cars, trucks etc.

Yes bikes are dangerous! Im well aware of the risks. Im mindful of all road users.
    There are idiots on all our roads besides motorcyclists.

Sure why stop there, ban hill walking cause some idiots will go out with just a tshirt and get caught when the weather closes in!!

Good forbid people have fun!!

Shiroki wrote: »
    Im one of the people who wanted to take it up but couldn't because of the extra IBT costs. I was hoping to have another crack at saving for it but if this goes through i'm just gonna move to the US :P

These havent become law yet so there is still time to stop them.

Head over to the motorcyle forum if you need advice on getting started. The guys that give the IBT are bikers to and are well aware of the costs so im sure something could be worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

Shiroki wrote: »

You can use a moped if youve got a B licence ...i think.
    Used to have one .... great craic

• Advertisement

Protest run being organised around Killybegs. I will be showing my support

Is there any truth in the EU also wanting all riders to wear white helmets?

They want fullbody hi-vis clothing.

Which means that we will blend in and will be seen even less!1

Its a personal decision imo, wear them if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Statistically you're more likely to be killed in a car then on a bike. Most car drivers are rubbish too, lets ban them.

I'd recommend you stop talking out your arse.

why was this thread moved?!

we are well aware of this in the biking forum!

i want this to be seen by a wider audience as a protest will affect everyone on the 25th!!

sure this thread could be in the europe forum aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In another thread, someone has posted some of the text of the proposal. It's not as draconian as it's being made out to be. For example, the proposer specifically suggests that legislation on bike modification should be left to member nations, and NOT that it should be banned at the EU level. He also stresses the need to allow small bike manufacturers to continue to operate as before.

This is what happens when you get your information 2nd-hand from people or organisations with an agenda.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    In another thread, someone has posted some of the text of the proposal. It's not as draconian as it's being made out to be. For example, the proposer specifically suggests that legislation on bike modification should be left to member nations, and NOT that it should be banned at the EU level. He also stresses the need to allow small bike manufacturers to continue to operate as before.

This is what happens when you get your information 2nd-hand from people or organisations with an agenda.

That is only a suggested amendment

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have responded to your PM OP, prob best to not discuss modding on thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Will (if it does) it effect the eventual price of bikes too?

Biggins wrote: »
    Will (if it does) it effect the eventual price of bikes too?

yes of course it will.

Im sure people will only be able to get their bikes serviced in "approved" mechanics, thus costing more.

The data logging aspect will mean that previous rider behaviour will be easily established.

Any bike for sale that has been modded could will be worthless as the cost to return it to spec could be prohibitive.

Can you imagine any of this being brought in for cars?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I spent a lot of money modifying my bike if this comes in where will it leave me ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KTRIC wrote: »
    I spent a lot of money modifying my bike if this comes in where will it leave me ?
    in your driveway with a lovely looking paperweight

seanybiker wrote: »
    in your driveway with a lovely looking paperweight

Surely there are a lot of others in the situation. I don't know the last time I seen a stock bike out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Surely there are a lot of others in the situation. I don't know the last time I seen a stock bike out there.
    everyone I know with a bike has something some to it. Standard cans last about a week on a new bike a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

Perhaps they can spell properly instead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

Don't tell me, super loud exhaust! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

you'd think with the oil running out theyd be encouraging motorcycle use over cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

My tires are a different brand than the original ones. Am I right in thinking this won't be allowed under the proposed system? :eek:

mowhawk wrote: »

No, road legal full Yoshi system, Yoshi high lift cams with custom adjusters, PC3 and a couple more little tweaks :D. Its putting out nearly 40% more torque and BHP at the back wheel. All nice and legal at the moment but as Seany said it'll become a nice looking paper weight if this comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The contest of Irish law in this matter and lots of other EU derived legislation depends on what the government chooses and discards. Effective lobbying and protest is needed now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

mowhawk wrote: »

And??? :rolleyes:
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    My tires are a different brand than the original ones. Am I right in thinking this won't be allowed under the proposed system? :eek:

Apparently so! It'll be like a "control tyre" that bikes are to use. Which is a bit ridiculous, as everybody has a different riding style and have different needs from tyres. So why make everyone use the same brand/model? Ridiculous!!! :mad:
    No, road legal full Yoshi system, Yoshi high lift cams with custom adjusters, PC3 and a couple more little tweaks :D. Its putting out nearly 40% more torque and BHP at the back wheel.

NICE!!!!! :cool:

Advertisement