Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average face of women across the world countries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Not sure i get the logic.

Some guy looked at pictures and subjectively decided what the average person looked like?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not an ugly one among them, so does that mean the world is, on average, full of beautiful people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think that he just took a heap of photos of various nationalities and super imposed them on top of eachother to create what is on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not an ugly one among them, so does that mean the world is, on average, full of beautiful people?

Nope, but human beings tend to find symmetrical features attractive. If hundreds of photos are merged into one 'average', the result is a symmetrical, regular and therefore attractive face :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Dolorous wrote: »
    Nope, but human beings tend to find symmetrical features attractive. If hundreds of photos are merged into one 'average', the result is a symmetrical, regular and therefore attractive face :cool:

Correct.

Interesting - Irish women have dark hair on average, and English women trend towards blonde, the Welsh are darker, but not as dark as us.

I believe this to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I dont think this is accurate.

It is up there with what will your baby look like photo!!

In that case they use a generic photo of a baby and put your face over it...however the "generic" babies features are used and not actually your features as a majority. These photos look the same. Looks like they used one woman X and put 10 other womens photos on top of that to come with an "average" but that is not actually an average is it?

Also for the English woman...she is white. However id say there are actually very few white people in England these days...it is a multicultural society...if you check wikipedia I think only a 1/3 of England is white whereas the other 2/3s is black/asian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

They all look the same or is it me at 3:20am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

scholar007 wrote: »
    They all look the same or is it me at 3:20am?

Both, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Average" is not necessarily accurate or meaningful. If Tom earns €20,000/year, Dick earns earns €20,000/year and Harry earns €20,000,000/year, then average income is €6,800,000 - which present things far rosier than they are for the majority.

Averaging would also tend to remove the blemishes that would appear on individual faces as not all blemishes will be in the same place. If there were 50 photos and each woman had one acne spot in a different part of the face, then each spot has been toned down 50-fold. A more realistic average would add in 1 spot.

I also suspect that the creator also started with a slightly self-selecting group - young women who were happy with being photographed. This would exclude certain groups.
    Also for the English woman...she is white. However id say there are actually very few white people in England these days...it is a multicultural society...if you check wikipedia I think only a 1/3 of England is white whereas the other 2/3s is black/asian
    Really?

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html
    Ethnic groups:
    white (of which English 83.6%, Scottish 8.6%, Welsh 4.9%, Northern Irish 2.9%) 92.1%, black 2%, Indian 1.8%, Pakistani 1.3%, mixed 1.2%, other 1.6% (2001 census)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The Irish wan is too pale. Women in this country would naturally be more of an orange colour. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

They clearly didn't average out the pictures properly.

The U.S. has a population that is 67% overweight, I would think that would show in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

if you check wikipedia I think only a 1/3 of England is white whereas the other 2/3s is black/asian

No, offence but I'd say you're incredibly wrong. Here's a link to the results of the 2001 UK census.

If you go by England specifically, it's 87.5% White, 6.0% South Asian, 2.9% Black, 1.9% Mixed race, 0.8% Chinese, 0.8% Other (2009 figures).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    They clearly didn't average out the pictures properly.

The U.S. has a population that is 67% overweight, I would think that would show in the picture.

Yeah you're right, the American burd should have a bit more mate on her

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what???

there's a concentration of ethnic minorities in the cities, but move into the suburbs and the countrysided where they're few and far between.

the welsh and english wans look like they could be sisters, but the girl from wales looks happier!
    miserable tans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The irish one is a dog, surprise surprise!

Victor wrote: »
    "Average" is not necessarily accurate or meaningful. If Tom earns €20,000/year, Dick earns earns €20,000/year and Harry earns €20,000,000/year, then average income is €6,800,000 - which present things far rosier than they are for the majority.

Looks follow a bell shaped curve not a power relationship like income distribution. Which is why the average works. And yes it fades out blemishes and evens out asymetries. that's absolutely fine. We are getting the average face not the face of the average person.

Sky King wrote: »
    The irish one is a dog, surprise surprise!

This **** is tired enough in AH, it's ****ing pointless here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Dolorous wrote: »

Not to mention that any scars, skin blotches, spots, etc. will be smoothed out if averaged over thousands of faces, so all the pictures have perfect skin.

Victor wrote: »

Your example is of a skewed distribution is misleading. I would imagine facial feature distances / locations are distributed more or less symmetrically around the mean meaning that the average is accurate and meaningful metric in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

This **** is tired enough in AH, it's ****ing pointless here tbh.

she is noticeably less attractive than the rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Alopex wrote: »

Whatever your thoughts on that computer generated image, surely you see why a post saying "The irish one is a dog, surprise surprise!" is ridiculous?

It is another example of the nonsense spoken about Irish women on Boards by certain posters.

OK fair point, it was phrased perhaps a bit insensitively.

Nice to see an apology.

I thought she looked ok. There was a bit of the Kate Mulgrew about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I remember hearing about a study where they did similar composite images and got people to rate them on attractiveness, each emphasising different attributes (smaller nose than average, higher cheekbones than average etc), and the image found most attractive was the one closest to the average.
    The indication from the study was that beauty is not about being exceptional looking, but actually about looking as close to average as possible.

Blisterman wrote: »
    I remember hearing about a study where they did similar composite images and got people to rate them on attractiveness, each emphasising different attributes (smaller nose than average, higher cheekbones than average etc), and the image found most attractive was the one closest to the average.
    The indication from the study was that beauty is not about being exceptional looking, but actually about looking as close to average as possible.

Yes, buts its average in a different way. It's a photoshopped average, removing - as people have pointed out - all blemishes.

Thats different from "the average person". Who probably has some blemish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well the study was more about beauty in facial features.

I don't think there's much debate that smooth blemish free skin is the ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Ok so I got the exact % of ethnic groups in UK incorrect...however my point is, the "English" girl if she was average should have these different races added to her and clearly doesnt. She should be 20% of different ethnic background.

Back to my original post they most likely started with one person photo and overlapped others on top.....if you ever did the what will your baby look like app you know what im talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ok so I got the exact % of ethnic groups in UK incorrect...however my point is, the "English" girl if she was average should have these different races added to her and clearly doesnt. She should be 20% of different ethnic background.

Maybe the different ethnic groups were overlapped and the result was that? It's comparable to having 3 grandparents of one ethnic group and 1 grandparent of a differing ethnic group-the grandchild may not noticeably carry the characteristics of that 1 grandparent, and that's a 25% input.

Back to my original post they most likely started with one person photo and overlapped others on top.....if you ever did the what will your baby look like app you know what im talking about.

So you've gone from believing that England is 33% white to believing that England is 80% white despite evidence it is 92% white?

• Advertisement

Alopex wrote: »

To you. Some dude in Burma is sitting looking at them thinking she looks foreign and exotic.

People need to understand context and subjectivity.

Advertisement