Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

yeah, i was at body and soul as well, it was great. M83 was a highlight of the summer. but EP lineup blows it away.

when you say there's a festival every weekend of the summer, i'm thinking of stuff like knockanstockan (http://knockanstockan.ie/).

+ 1 great time at B & S this year too. good value too in fairness. M83 rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Jesus, I didn't know that it was a retreat for so many broken people. .

Well.. Keep your opinion of EP if it means you stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭sporina

Slattsy wrote: »
    So basically everyone took a **** load of drugs* and let themselves goooooo at EP :D
    It was my first EP and one the best weekends of my life.

* I do not condone drugs!! :pac:

i actually said i don't do drugs…

basically EP provides a great escape from the real world.. and a good escape at that..

god knows Ireland is not the nicest of places to work/live these days.. but i will not go there - i do not want to taint the buzz… see, its still there..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭sporina

Jesus, I didn't know that it was a retreat for so many broken people. Body and Soul had plenty going on and a decent international lineup as did Independence.

so what, you have no stress/problems at all? you should count yourself very lucky…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Jesus, I didn't know that it was a retreat for so many broken people. Body and Soul had plenty going on and a decent international lineup as did Independence.

So hold on, you ridiculed me for my enjoyment of all aspects of the festival, and you weren't even there yourself?

Then you ridicule those who say the festival provided them with some much needed escapism and gave them an emotional boost.

I paid for my ticket in installments and could not say it was overpriced as it woke me up in every way imaginable after the ****tiest summer of my life. Sorry if that makes you 'puke in your mouth'.....but it's a fact.

Feedback is that this was one of the best if not the best EP ever....methinks you are just a little angry with yourself that you weren't there!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Sorry for puking in my mouth when I hear people say that this overpriced festival is "so important" and "really special". Its just another music festival, better than most in Ireland but nothing special on the international stage. The crowd is full of soft cocks who are more likely to be at Leviathan discussing some ****e than giving it socks at the bodytonic rave.

First off Electric Picnic is so much more than a music festival, I would class Oxegen as a music festival whereas Electric Picnic has so much more to offer, not just in terms of the tents and stands but the sculptures and art around the campsite and arena. Not to mention things like the food theatre, poetry readings and numerous other events.

I go to Electric Picnic not for the music but for the whole experience - obviously I am interested in the music and see as many acts as I can over the weekend.

Since there is something for everyone and the crowd is a good mix, the bodytonic stage (forest stage) was jammed all weekend too, blasting music out till 5am so not all the "soft cocks" were discussing Sh*te at Leviathan. Sounds like you like to generalise and stereo-type so its no wonder you're not a fan of Electric Picnic.

But at least you know that the festival isn't for you having been before which is no loss to the Electric Picnic crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

stephen.87 wrote: »
    Had the best weekend of my life there this year and definitely going back next year. What bands/artists do you want to see playing 2012? This thread can also be where official announcements are posted.

Wishlist for me in no particular order
    Florence and the Machine
    Daft Punk
    Muse
    Mumford and Sons
    Justice
    Elbow
    Sigur Ros
    Antony and the Johnsons

The list goes on im sure

it's such a pity i could not go, 2nd year in row. I went there 3 times, always great.i love Electric Picnic, saying that as a foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

The picnic is great but I've never gone to festivals exclusively for the music, the smaller one's like body and soul, knockanstockan, castlepalooza and so on are where I'd prefer to be any day. Knockanstockan being the best place to see amazing local musicians and artist do what they do.

Personally I was quite disappointed with the lineup at the picnic, there was some stuff I really did enjoy but not enough to justify the price tag, fortunately I've never and will never buy a ticket for it. There's always another way.

If you're not bothered about seeing so called "big international acts" and just wanna see good ****ing music no matter how many mediocre albums they've sold, save yourself a load of money and stress and hit up the smaller fests. It's definitely where this country and it's people shine brightest.

Picnic was still whopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The thing about EP is that even when the lineup isn't brilliant there's so much enjoyment to be had just hanging about and checking out everything that's going on.

Compare that to something like Primavera which is great fun but if you're not watching a band, there's just food and drink and that's it at the site.

So EP certainly has that going for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I went down there with absolutely no expectation. I had been there before.

Really glad I went. It was a brilliant end to the Summer and much better than when I was there before. Got to see a lot of decent bands I'd not heard of before, and have bought a few albums since getting back. I was a bit pi$$ed about the price when I bought my ticket last Thursday, but after the weekend I had, think it was worth it. I thought the atmosphere changed a good bit on Sunday and it would put me off buying a day ticket (which I had been considering doing this year instead of getting a weekend ticket).

One thing I dont get is people who go to these festivals to sit in a campsite all day drinking. I suppose each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Motorist wrote: »

One thing I dont get is people who go to these festivals to sit in a campsite all day drinking. I suppose each to their own.

I agree with you, there was a group near us and not only did they spend the entire 3 days drinking outside their tent (in Pink Moon) but they completely took over the paths/access routes to other tents around them with so much of an 'excuse me' when we tried to get past them. Very 'common camp site' behaviour :D

The very friendly girls offering pate and crackers with wine on Sunday morning made up for it however :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Sorry for puking in my mouth when I hear people say that this overpriced festival is "so important" and "really special". Its just another music festival, better than most in Ireland but nothing special on the international stage. The crowd is full of soft cocks who are more likely to be at Leviathan discussing some ****e than giving it socks at the bodytonic rave.
    If it makes you feel better half the crowd there were on bangers and you couldn't get into the dance tent for half the night it was so packed out. Less "soft cocks" and more people who viewed sleeping as optional rather than a necessary bodily function. Who gives a **** if someone wants to spend their weekend in the spoken-word poetry anyway? They're hardly going to bother you and it took about a thirty-second walk in any direction to find a party going on 24/7.

EP was a bit special this year. It had the crowd, the weather and the music - the most important components of a good festival - and it still managed to be more than the sum of its parts. I love small festivals, and I make it my business to make it to as many as money and time permits, but they still can't touch Picnic when everything comes together like it did last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Motorist wrote: »
    over the last few years there's definitely been an increase in people just going for the "weekend away" experience.
    met a few people there who didn't really know any of the acts playing, and just wanted to put on sparkley wellies and facepaint, or drink and "have the craic"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

audio of lots of acts' sets here:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/electricpicnic/audio.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Damn great list but would kill to hear Metronomy live again from there, if anyone comes across an audio of it please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had the most amazing time there and probably my best Picnic to date. My complete review of EP 2012 enjoy. http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/electric-picnic-2012/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I had the most amazing time there and probably my best Picnic to date. My complete review of EP 2012 enjoy. http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2012/09/06/electric-picnic-2012/

Excellent review there Niall - some great clips in there also.
    The Donal Dineen speech brought back some memories from Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

brilliant stuff Niall, I was in the middle of the LBT for Richie Hawtin so good to see it from outside of the tent. Some gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see the Cocteau Twins have apparently released a new album or are in the process of releasing one (will post a link when I can find one) so they probably will be touring this next year. I reckon they would be a good contender for next year considering EPs affinity with the retro of the 1980s and 1990s. Maybe not a top headliner but somewhere in there, imagine hearing select cuts from Heaven or Las Vegas, Victorialand etc and while I suggest this, maybe Aphex Twin next year too, after Squarepushers sound and visual set this year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I reckon you'll have Mumford and Sons on next year, what with a new album and all.
    What about Fleetwood Mac or Radiohead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There will be a mass boycott of EP if Mumford & Sons make the line up !!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

And why is that? They were good in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

seachto7 wrote: »
    I reckon you'll have Mumford and Sons on next year, what with a new album and all.
    What about Fleetwood Mac or Radiohead?

Can't see fleetwood mac there, would love if they did come but I cannot see it happening.

Radiohead? Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Really?

Violent Femmes as a bizarre off kilter band in the Dexy's spot.

Would be whopper

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

benwavner wrote: »

Well i wasnt there myself in 2010 but heard they were pretty poor.

Personally, i think they're awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

benwavner wrote: »

Well i wasnt there myself in 2010 but heard they were pretty poor.

Personally, i think they're awful.
    Well enjoy mass boycotting with yourself

Not a fan of M&S, but seeing as they played a few years back, and this year you had Of Monsters and Men, Ed Sheeran, Ben Howard, all in the M&S area.........

Would love to see Bon Iver or TV on the Radio there, or someone like John Butler Trio. I can't understand why John Butler doesn't do festivals here. His band is tailor made for festivals, and poops all over the likes of Ed Sheeran and M&S. He filled the Olympia a few years back. But that's just my opinion...

What about Pearl Jam? Too "rock" for EP? Too "big" for EP? Would also love to see someone like Jeff Lang in the Body and Soul area.

There was a band on the salty dog stage this year on the sunday who were like mumford and sons.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 bugsy1977

pearl jam far too big for EP altho Glen hansard has been gigging with eddie so maybe if he had a word,check out glen and eddie on youtube, amazing stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement