Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

I know the Mother stage had a huge crowd in body and soul on Sunday night, maybe its that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

I must start practicing the blagging.. met a good few that said they haven't paid for picnic for the last few years.. they reckon just be a bit cheeky and you'll get what you want, and that includes drinks at the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Only back to normal now...
    Another great weekend. The weather really helped with the good athmosphere.
    The Cure / Metronomy / Mark Lanegan were my highlights
    BBC / Hawley / Cashier No.9 were great too.
    Bit let down by Dexys tbh. they left out some of their biggest tunes.

The food as usual was class:
    The thai curries / Falafel / Pieminister were unreal.

Salty dog was good fun again, and i really enjoyed the new layout at the rave in the woods yoke.

Thought the security were decent. Some were ott but after Friday, you knew which ones to avoid.

I didnt see any trouble thank god, but did see some people in bad states getting caried away by the paramedics.

All in all another class weekend in Stradbally, and roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

seachto7 wrote: »
    They are called The Bambir. I saw them early on Sunday in one of the stages at Body and Soul. Unreal musicians, but got a bit too Ron Burgundy after a while. :D

They were like a cross between Rage Against The Machine, System of a Down, and The Horslips!

Seachto7, I owe you a pint! Cheers!

They were fecking savage inside in the cottage.

I must start practicing the blagging.. met a good few that said they haven't paid for picnic for the last few years.. they reckon just be a bit cheeky and you'll get what you want, and that includes drinks at the bar!

Blag all you like, you're not going to get free entry through four security checks. Nor should you. Blagging a free ticket in the first place is a different matter though. Its all about connections.

I bought my ticket this year because I'm just not in that loop anymore but I got a backstage pass for one of the areas, and associated free booze and s'leb spotting!

To be honest, I dont mind paying if it means we continue to have the quality weekend available to us here. Its so important to have events like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ecoeco

fits wrote: »
    Blag all you like, you're not going to get free entry through four security checks. Nor should you. Blagging a free ticket in the first place is a different matter though. Its all about connections.

I bought my ticket this year because I'm just not in that loop anymore but I got a backstage pass for one of the areas, and associated free booze and s'leb spotting!

To be honest, I dont mind paying if it means we continue to have the quality weekend available to us here. Its so important to have events like that.

Who'd ya see then?

I met the drummer, Gar, from The Riptide Movement
    Drank cans watching Ham Sandwich with JP, guitarist from The Riptide Movement
    Met Glen Hansard in a tiny tent around 9pm Sunday
    Got a piggyback to Hotchip off John Blek & The Rats
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just got a warning from Youtube about my Crystal Castles video clip which is like 1.20 minutes of Wrath of God (So I was informed that I infringed), you can hardly see anything just the camera looking from the left to the main stage and a bunch of strobe lights flashing. The quality of the audio is quite good, but FFS Im just publicising EP as a festival and the groups that play it. Youtube removed the video, I was wondering why there wasnt much video clips of their RockNess main stage show which I was also at. I didnt think bootlegs got removed from youtube I always thought infringement was the actual studio audio itself. There is one other EP 2012 Crystal Castles clip which has atrocious sound I wonder if this will get removed too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Toast

The removal is probably automated and it would be at the record labels request.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

unfortunately its has a reputation of been easy to blag hence the numbers that try it now

How do you mean easy to blag? What does that entail exactly?

EDIT: I'm not trying to pull a fast one, I don't believe in that kind of thing, but what kind of effort is involved in this kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just got a warning from Youtube about my Crystal Castles video clip which is like 1.20 minutes of Wrath of God (So I was informed that I infringed), you can hardly see anything just the camera looking from the left to the main stage and a bunch of strobe lights flashing. The quality of the audio is quite good, but FFS Im just publicising EP as a festival and the groups that play it. Youtube removed the video, I was wondering why there wasnt much video clips of their RockNess main stage show which I was also at. I didnt think bootlegs got removed from youtube I always thought infringement was the actual studio audio itself. There is one other EP 2012 Crystal Castles clip which has atrocious sound I wonder if this will get removed too.

Maybe they are trying to guarantee the quality of their performances on YouTube. If its not flattering to the band or the image they want to portray, they may wish to have it removed...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Its so important to have events like that.

I think in the grand scheme of things is pretty unimportant. There were festivals every weekend this year, EP doesn't make or break the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think in the grand scheme of things is pretty unimportant. There were festivals every weekend this year, EP doesn't make or break the summer.

Yeah there were a lot of festivals in Ireland this summer/year but Electric Picnic is pretty much one of a kind. It was my first time there but I've been to Oxegen twice, Indiependence twice, Forbidden Fruit and Cois Fharraige and none of these festivals came close to it.

It had a really good atmosphere, the calibre of the acts is very high and there's so much more on offer besides the music so I think it's a great festival.

It's very hard to find another Irish festival which rivals it, in my opinion anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

yeah, with ****e lineups of bands i've never heard of. if you're the kind of festival goer who never ventures into the main arena and just wants a pissup in the campsite then there's loads of festivals for you.

but if you want a decent lineup of good, international & irish 'alternative' acts then EP's needed.

It made my summer. Myself and a friend went and we both had a bad time of it recently. The strain was affecting me pretty badly I can tell you. Her situation was worse. We both had a complete blowout. We laughed, we cried, we cried laughing. And we both feel a hell of a lot better this week.

I know there are other festivals... I was at body and soul amongst others this year but nothing rivals EP for the sheer selection and quality of attractions.

So maybe its not important to you, but its important to me, and many others besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

It made my summer. Myself and a friend went and we both had a bad time of it recently. The strain was affecting me pretty badly I can tell you. Her situation was worse. We both had a complete blowout. We laughed, we cried, we cried laughing. And we both feel a hell of a lot better this week.

I know there are other festivals... I was at body and soul amongst others this year but nothing rivals EP for the sheer selection and quality of attractions.

So maybe its not important to you, but its important to me, and many others besides.

OMG - I can totally relate to this. I have had a very stressful year. I have also had a recent bereavement. But EP has revitalized me. In spite of the lack of sleep and copious pints and morgan's and general debauchery, I felt like I was floating on air on Monday. I even went for a wee tour of the neighbouring area before hitting the road for home.

I was on such a buzz. I actually managed to totally switch off at EP. I was blown away - and I don't do drugs. Cobwebs totally blown away. Even the c**T at work cannot irritate me.

I didn't get to experience a tenth of what EP had to offer - not properly - there was not enough time - there was sooo much to do and see… and that includes stuff like just sitting having a "mug" of tea in body and soul.

But 3 days is probably long enough for that kind of fun.
    Anyway I am still feeling the buzz..

Bring on next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Agree with the last couple of posters. After an extremely stressful 10 months, EP was the first time my boyfriend and I could truly relax and switch off and the surroundings made it so easy. Everyone was so easygoing and everything was so laid back that we were really able to just chill out and forget all our worries. The type of people who go to EP also made it very easy to have a chat with friendly people on the same level as us. It's also the type of festival that you want to return to, and not just for the music.

If I could only go to one festival in Ireland every year it would definitely be EP. Already planning next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

So basically everyone took a **** load of drugs* and let themselves goooooo at EP :D
    It was my first EP and one the best weekends of my life.

* I do not condone drugs!! :pac:

yeah, with ****e lineups of bands i've never heard of. if you're the kind of festival goer who never ventures into the main arena and just wants a pissup in the campsite then there's loads of festivals for you.

but if you want a decent lineup of good, international & irish 'alternative' acts then EP's needed.

Jesus, I didn't know that it was a retreat for so many broken people. Body and Soul had plenty going on and a decent international lineup as did Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

there is no doubt, there was something about this year's EP.

the weather played it's part sure but i've been at every EP and this one was special. everyone was saying it.

it actually makes me quite proud to be honest. sure there was trouble and messiness here and there which is inevitable but in general the buzz was epic. to think 'some' of us were concerned about oxegen 'transferees' :) I get the impression that a lot of folks experienced EP for the first time and wouldn't have been there had oxegen been on and experienced a bit of an epiphany as regards the way people conduct themselves at EP - Go nuts, party hard etc but don't be a d1ck and look after yourself, and each other (as Jerry Springer would say). I'd like to think that anyway...

Jesus, I didn't know that it was a retreat for so many broken people. Body and Soul had plenty going on and a decent international lineup as did Independence.

you love looking for a reaction don't you...

no one said the other festivals didn't have international lineups. They just said EP is particularly good, and important to them as a result.

• Advertisement

Sorry for puking in my mouth when I hear people say that this overpriced festival is "so important" and "really special". Its just another music festival, better than most in Ireland but nothing special on the international stage. The crowd is full of soft cocks who are more likely to be at Leviathan discussing some ****e than giving it socks at the bodytonic rave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Have you been to Electric Picnic? If you have and you didn't enjoy it then that's fair enough.

But if you haven't then why knock it if you haven't tried it?

Sorry for puking in my mouth when I hear people say that this overpriced festival is "so important" and "really special". Its just another music festival, better than most in Ireland but nothing special on the international stage. The crowd is full of soft cocks who are more likely to be at Leviathan discussing some ****e than giving it socks at the bodytonic rave.

presume by 'giving it socks' you mean ingesting industrial loads of pills and gurning yourself to death for 3 days solid?

the excitement of it.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Have you been to Electric Picnic? If you have and you didn't enjoy it then that's fair enough.

But if you haven't then why knock it if you haven't tried it?

I've been 2004 and 2005. I stopped going when they started toning down the lineups and charging 220euro. I went in 2009 and it was ****e enough. I'd like if they went back to the previous setup, halved the price and cutout expensive big acts. Better class of crowd then. Pretty much Body and Soul now so no real loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Really sorry if this was mentioned before.......

But did anyone see Le Galaxie in the Little Big tent at 2am on Saturday night??
    I saw photos and it looks like they got a descent crowd. Really enjoyable live band

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I've been 2004 and 2005. I stopped going when they started toning down the lineups and charging 220euro. I went in 2009 and it was ****e enough. I'd like if they went back to the previous setup, halved the price and cutout expensive big acts. Better class of crowd then. Pretty much Body and Soul now so no real loss.

The cost isn't too bad considering any gig will cost you 60 or 70 euro to see an average support act and the main act. A lot of decent bands to see over the three days, along with other alternatives to check out.

Oxegen will be back next year for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I found the main stage to pretty soul-less - all the best gigs I saw were in the more atmospheric tents - Patti/Lanegan/Roots/Christy/Mark Murphy - apparently they need main stage/ headliners to sell more tickets - or so I was told -

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

sound was woeful on the main stage from the bicardi bar

thebaz wrote: »
    I found the main stage to pretty soul-less - all the best gigs I saw were in the more atmospheric tents - Patti/Lanegan/Roots/Christy/Mark Murphy - apparently they need main stage/ headliners to sell more tickets - or so I was told -

everyone will have different opinions about that. some acts get lost on the main stage. we had a great buzz there for XX, Cure and Killers. also i was delighted with the sound there - best i've heard it sound it years.

regarding headliners helping to sell tickets - not trying to be smart but that's hardly news to anyone is it? Of course they need the bigger names to increase demand! but the main stage was packed most nights - the only times i've ever seen it not packed it when it was pishing rain. people want to see them. my favourite gigs are usually the tent gigs, they're always more raucous, for example the horrors this year was one i remember particularly fondly. but i was really impressed with main stage this year. the calm conditions helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

yeah, i was at body and soul as well, it was great. M83 was a highlight of the summer. but EP lineup blows it away.

when you say there's a festival every weekend of the summer, i'm thinking of stuff like knockanstockan (http://knockanstockan.ie/).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement