Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How superstitious are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

later10 wrote: »
    A few years ago I was only very negligibly superstitious.

Today, under the influence of impending old age and superstitious friends, I cannot walk under ladders, walk upon four drains, refrain from crossing a 7 nor from saluting to magpies without considering some inexorable doom which may at any moment visit my destiny.

Has anybody else shared such an experience?

How has your superstition manifested itself, and from where did it come? I find it quite contagious, myself.

Opinions?
    whats wrong with crossing your sevens , i always cross my sevens oh no:eek:
    i dont salute magpies i used to but there are so many and four drains i never heard of not walking on four drains

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm not superstitious at all but when a superstition overlaps with common sense, then I'll do what a superstitious person would do.

For example, I won't walk under ladders. This isn't because of any superstition. I just don't want a workman dropping his tin of paint or his anvil on my head. Neither would I want to snag my bag off the bottom of the ladder and bring the guy crashing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I'm not superstitious. I don't think there's any superstitions I follow. However, I understand how easily it is to get sucked into such thinking. Years ago I was mildly OCD and had my own little rituals - e.g. When people left the house, I had to watch them leave until they turned the corner otherwise I felt like something 'bad' would happen to them. Total nonsense but I was only a young teen (12-ish). Superstitions, like the 'secret' craze, help people to feel like they have some control over external events. It can be comforting when people are going through dark, troubling or unpredictable times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm not superstitious. I don't think there's any superstitions I follow. However, I understand how easily it is to get sucked into such thinking. Years ago I was mildly OCD and had my own little rituals - e.g. When people left the house, I had to watch them leave until they turned the corner otherwise I felt like something 'bad' would happen to them. Total nonsense but I was only a young teen (12-ish). Superstitions, like the 'secret' craze, help people to feel like they have some control over external events. It can be comforting when people are going through dark, troubling or unpredictable times.
    That's interesting, I wonder if there is a direct corrolation between being slightly anally retentive and being superstitious.

I am a little anal about silly things - most occasionally developing compulsions to count whether words have an even or uneven amount of letters (preference for even numbers). And I have to repeat certain methods for no reason. For example as a child I wouldn't tie my shoelaces until I was walking into the school yard, I have to cross the street at the same point every day on my way to work, etc.

On a superstition scale I would consider myself a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

later10 wrote: »
    That's interesting, I wonder if there is a direct corrolation between being slightly anally retentive and being superstitious.
    I imagine that there is a significant amount of the population with mild OCD in one form or another. In many cases people would say that they're just superstitious when in fact they have OCD.

Read the wikipedia article on the nature of OCD and you'll see that you may as well be describing someone who's fervently superstitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't believe it, but I'd never walk under a ladder just because it was seem as if I were trying to "provoke" bad luck.

Strangely enough, I never leave my TV volume at thirteen, always opting for twelve or fourteen instead. Thirteen is the perfect night time volume though!

developing compulsions to count whether words have an even or uneven amount of letters...I have to repeat certain methods for no reason...I have to cross the street at the same point every day on my way to work
    That sounds to me like you are well on the way to OCD my friend. Counting things that don't need to be counted is a sure sign (been there too). Turn back now. OCD aint fun (unless you're the one laughing at the person who has it). Worst case I've ever heard of..a shopkeeper in France (a wine shop incidentally) counting the number of wine bottles over and over and over. My little brother was only seven at the time - he just stood there staring with his mouth hanging open. My Dad didn't have the heart to laugh. It was just too pitiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Mr. Boo wrote: »
    I smash mirrors for a living.
    I'm not too far off it. I wouldn't want to be superstitious, I've broken 3 mirrors in the last month.

And no, it's not because I looked at them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

OneArt wrote: »
    I wouldn't really consider myself superstitious I don't believe in any of them but I still salute magpies anyway... Just in case :P

Although now I'm in Germany it's a habit I must stop.

Nah, you just pretend you're scratching/rubbing your forehead, that's what I do, my husband finds this highly amusing (especially as he's the only one who knows what I'm really doing ;))

But what do you do if you see one magpie, salute it and the a second one turns up beside you, have you jinxed yourself because you've saluted the first one, meaning the second one counts as a second sighting of a single magpie (double bad luck) or is the salute disregarded and you're lucky because you saw a pair?

Oh yeah and in case you haven't guessed my answer to the question of how superstitious am I is VERY superstitious (and I know it's stupid to be, but I am, I can't help it, there's probably a bit of OCD thrown in there too)

And as far as crossing my sevens is concerned, I have to - because if I don't ze Germans over here will think it's a 1 - my post from regularly gets sent to the wrong house, we live in no.7 and it gets sent to no.1 (the postman obviously can't read names...)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Abi wrote: »
    I'm not too far off it. I wouldn't want to be superstitious, I've broken 3 mirrors in the last month.

And no, it's not because I looked at them :p

You punched them cos they were looking at you??? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Old Perry wrote: »
    A black cat tried to cross infront of me today so I chased after it and ran him down.....
    Racist !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This is what I love about AH.
    Old Perry wrote: »
    A black cat tried to cross infront of me today so I chased after it and ran him down

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Racist !

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I'm touching wood right now.

that sounds dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Not conciously supersticious, but about ten mins ago I passed a ladder that there was no way around without going under it, so I waited until the guy holding it could move so I cuold get around it, rather than walking under it. No idea why...just felt like walking under a ladder wasn't a good way to start a weekend!

And while we're at it who, in the name of the Lord Jaysus, came up with the 'theory' that it's lucky if a bird shat all over you? :confused:

Oh and I mean a winged creature....some people actually get off on the other 'birds' doing it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine that there is a significant amount of the population with mild OCD in one form or another. In many cases people would say that they're just superstitious when in fact they have OCD.

Read the wikipedia article on the nature of OCD and you'll see that you may as well be describing someone who's fervently superstitious.
    I would consider that anal retentiveness as opposed to OCD. OCD is a serious anxiety disorder and this isn't aimed at you (your post just reminded me of it) but I think we misuse terms like OCD way too much in society.

I would liken describing 'mild OCD' to referring to 'mild anorexia', it's a very unhelpful and misleading term and would better off detached altogether from a rather serious psychological disorder.

Although I don't personally know anybody with a serious OCD, it still bugs me whenever I overhear (usually 15 - 25 year old) girls in starbucks go on about how they're totally OCD because they hate when they car is a mess or when they aren't wearing some clothing combo or, blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

kfallon wrote: »
    You punched them cos they were looking at you??? :P

Maybe >_>

:pac:
    kfallon wrote: »
    And while we're at it who, in the name of the Lord Jaysus, came up with the 'theory' that it's lucky if a bird shat all over you? :confused:
    Someone who was embaressed they just got shat on I suspects.
    Oh and I mean a winged creature....some people actually get off on the other 'birds' doing it :pac:
    I wouldn't put anything past you at this stage :p

People don't like to think they're superstitious, because they KNOW it is moronic. Although they're still probably counting how many magpies are in front of them subconsciously, it's all crap drummed into us as kids.

I love catching superstitious people out though. A friend of mine once started scratching her itchy palm, so

I said: "you know what thats a sign of?"

She perks up and I've her full attention...

Her: "what?"

Me: "You've got a fuckin' itchy palm"

Her : "Bitch"

*snigger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I didn't think I was superstitious but the more I read this the more I realise I am a little.
    I think we are all a little superstitious in some way or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I'm a superstitious girl
    I'm the worst in the world
    Never walk under ladders
    I keep a rabbits' tail
    I'll take you up on a dare
    Anytime, anywhere
    Name the place, I'll be there
    Bungee jumping, I don't care

Life, oh life
    Oh life, oh life
    Life, oh life
    Oh life, oh life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes I am very superstitious. I wouldn't walk under a ladder and Friday 13th would freak me out a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

hondasam wrote: »
    I think we are all a little superstitious in some way or other.

I really don't think I am, at all!

It just makes no sense to me whatsoever ... I would find it pretty bizarre if someone I was with did any of the little "rituals" mentioned above - same as I feel a bit awkward and embarrassed if i'm walking past a church, and the person i'm with suddenly stops and does the sign of the cross, mid-conversation, and then just continues walking like nothing has happened! (Am I opening a whole new can of worms here, equating religion to superstition? :o )

Abi wrote: »
    I wouldn't put anything past you at this stage :p

Unwarranted reputation imo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the only reason i wouldnt walk under a ladder is for fear of it coming down on my head :D superstition is a load of bs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm not too bad, but my mother (88) is REALLY superstitious.No may blossom in the house, would never cross "a fairy fort", when her dad who kept bees died, they had to tell the bees so they wouldn't swarm and leave.If someone dies, you stop the clock, cover mirrors. If a funeral passes in the other direction you must trun and walk three steps with it. If you spill salt you must throw some over your left shoulder etc.etc.

A neighbour of their moved an Ogham stone from near a well when she was young and cut his arm in the process,against local advice.The cut wasn't healing after many weeks and he was told it wouldn't until he replaced the stone. Once the stone was back in its original position,the cut healed over night (!!) I have seen the well and the stone and know some of his descendents who also believe it to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I really don't think I am, at all!

It just makes no sense to me whatsoever ... I would find it pretty bizarre if someone I was with did any of the little "rituals" mentioned above - same as I feel a bit awkward and embarrassed if i'm walking past a church, and the person i'm with suddenly stops and does the sign of the cross, mid-conversation, and then just continues walking like nothing has happened! (Am I opening a whole new can of worms here, equating religion to superstition? :o )

Something old Something new etc is this superstition? most people go along with it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Have an irrational fear that odd numbers will bring me bad luck. I play outside centre for my local rugby team but must always wear number 12.
    Its not so much a fear, I just dont like uneven numbers, like it if i have an even amount in my acc i transfer the uneven amount to a bill or somewhere else:o its just really strange, but has nothing to do with bad luck.
    I'm a superstitious girl
    I'm the worst in the world
    Never walk under ladders
    I keep a rabbits' tail
    I'll take you up on a dare
    Anytime, anywhere
    Name the place, I'll be there
    Bungee jumping, I don't care

Life, oh life
    Oh life, oh life
    Life, oh life
    Oh life, oh life
    brilliant i'll have this stuck in my head for the rest of the day now.
    doovdela wrote: »
    Yes I am very superstitious. I wouldn't walk under a ladder and Friday 13th would freak me out a bit!
    and there was a few friday 13th last year, i've never had bad luck happen on any of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Always say Hello Mr Magpie when I spot one. And always look around for another one to make it two for joy. Even if I see one later in the day I add it on, though I'm pretty sure that doesn't count:o
    Used to be superstitious about walking under ladders. A friend knew someone who stepped off the footpath to avoid walking under one, and was hit by a car:eek:. I take my chances now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone that still goes to Mass is superstitious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not superstitious at all

Advertisement