Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How superstitious are you?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I was only very negligibly superstitious.

Today, under the influence of impending old age and superstitious friends, I cannot walk under ladders, walk upon four drains, refrain from crossing a 7 nor from saluting to magpies without considering some inexorable doom which may at any moment visit my destiny.

Has anybody else shared such an experience?

How has your superstition manifested itself, and from where did it come? I find it quite contagious, myself.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

I smash mirrors for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Yeah this is the seventh time you shall hear this warning-feck off with your silliness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

later10 wrote: »
    Today, under the influence of impending old age and superstitious friends, I cannot walk under ladders, walk upon four drains, refrain from crossing...

The what now?
    Opinions?

My opinion is you appear to be very superstitious. :pac:

Myself I avoid walking under ladders and I don't like walking on cracks in the pavement-though that might be more a neurosis than a superstition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm not superstitious at all. It's bad luck to be superstitious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I was going to say some stuff but then I wasn't sure if it was superstition or just mad shit that goes on in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I was going to say some stuff but then I wasn't sure if it was superstition or just mad shit that goes on in my head.

It probably isn't much madder then well known superstitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I wouldn't really consider myself superstitious I don't believe in any of them but I still salute magpies anyway... Just in case :P

Although now I'm in Germany it's a habit I must stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hopefully not at all. Being superstitious is for morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

A black cat tried to cross infront of me today so I chased after it and ran him down....turns out he was dark blue, superstitions will do that to ya OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

OneArt wrote: »
    I still salute magpies anyway... Just in case :P
    I agree. It's polite, if nothing else!

• Advertisement

Old Perry wrote: »
    A black cat tried to cross infront of me today so I chased after it and ran him down....turns out he was dark blue, superstitions will do that to ya OP.

Jayzus! Ya psychopath! Hope I don't cross your path!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Have an irrational fear that odd numbers will bring me bad luck. I play outside centre for my local rugby team but must always wear number 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Have an irrational fear that odd numbers will bring me bad luck. I play outside centre for my local rugby team but must always wear number 12.

Ooooo post 13, wouldn't want to be you right now.

Silly boy. number 13 is your fate and DOOM!

okay, okay, am just making that up for dramatic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sh1te, I'm worried now that I'm going to be struck down and killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

I always give the nod to a lone magpie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't walk under ladders, because I don't want the fúcker on top of it blasting me with piss.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I knock on wood if someone talks about something unpleasant that could potentially happen, .i.e. "if we were in a crash..."

I wouldn't consider it superstition though, it's merely a way of saying 'God forbid'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I must be a sad old bloke I do all of the above post including saluting magpies so they take the bad luck with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not superstitious at all.
    No time for that rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

If the number 13 passes me buy I must immediately run to get on a number 7 bus to avert the bad luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

What the hell does saluting magpies mean :confused: ? What are ye doin', american style salute or is it a full on mein furhrer salute? ( O> or O/ )I've hear the old "One for sorrow, two for joy...." rhyme about magpies but never hear of saluting them. Just wondering does that mean since I haven't been doing it all my life am I hexed :eek: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

When I am in Ireland I always carry an umbrella with me, does that make me superstitious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Very superstitious, writing's on the wall
    Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall
    Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
    Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past

When you believe in things that you don't understand
    Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way

Very superstitious, wash your face and hands
    Rid me of the problem, do all that you can
    Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin' strong
    You don't wanna save me, sad is my song

Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh

Very superstitious, nothin' more to say
    Very superstitious, the devil's on his way
    Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
    Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past

Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no

so yeah whatever that says i am

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Instead of putting chopsticks down on the table, I left them stuck into a bowl of rice, and was asked to remove them quickly, as it's really unnerving for some Chinese people to see. Apparently it resembles incense sticks at the temple. They're super superstitious.

Plazaman wrote: »
    What the hell does saluting magpies mean :confused: ? What are ye doin', american style salute or is it a full on mein furhrer salute? ( O> or O/ )I've hear the old "One for sorrow, two for joy...." rhyme about magpies but never hear of saluting them. Just wondering does that mean since I haven't been doing it all my life am I hexed :eek: ?

Magpies bring bad luck with them but if you wave or just acknowledge them they will take there bad luck somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Today, under the influence of impending old age and superstitious friends, I cannot walk under ladders, walk upon four drains, refrain from crossing a 7 nor from saluting to magpies without considering some inexorable doom which may at any moment visit my destiny.

Has anybody else shared such an experience?

How has your superstition manifested itself, and from where did it come? I find it quite contagious, myself.

Opinions?

Not very. I'm barely even stitious to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

i once walked under a ladder when moving into my new house and a guy working on our driveway got run over by the dumper half way up his body lucky he wasnt killed , i think it was the ladders fault lol

as for others splitn poles and walking on the 3 manhole covers in a row i stil ave to skip the last one and look like a freak hoping over it or 2 the side lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not in the slightest. Complete waste of time and energy worrying about that nonsense.

• Advertisement

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Not very. I'm barely even stitious to be honest.

Very good:):)

Advertisement