Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Lean-To Tale (with pics & maybe vids)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well done, but I think to finish the job the ends of those runners need a little decorative chamfer

Give the man a break....:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Did you get the weather for next week.... You will be using the lean-to for shade from the sun instead of cover from the rain!!!

Might be the perfect weather for you to re-ignite your passion for the boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Day 14 (well we couldn't let it end on a 13 now could we)

My god what a great day. It was like a good summers day. Sunshine and warmth. Isn't that typical; The minute I build a dam shelter! I took it fairly easy today. Got up at 12:30. Me and mutley had a good 'ol breakfast and that I lazed about until qualifying from Singapore (zzzzzzzzzzz).

This afternoon, I did a few touch ups outside. I painted the uprights. Tightened down all bolts. Chamfered off the runners at the outside. Then I installed a simple bulkhead light up at the back door. I will eventually go with a fluorescent light over the boat but I definitely need a light at the backdoor that comes on instantly. So that really is that. The job is really and truly finished now......I hope. Even managed to get grass mowed this evening....weird.

Here's the before and after shots as requested.
    Img_7708.jpg
    Img_7994.jpg

From back door.
    Img_7992.jpg

From gable
    Img_7993.jpg

Runners chamfered, although you'd hardly notice them.
    Img_7995.jpg

Someone was asking about this yesterday. The last sheet cut around the down pipe.
    Img_7996.jpg

Das ruuf
    Img_7997.jpg

Simple light for back door
    Img_7999.jpg

This shows where I ran the sheet along the L wall. I left a gap of about 3". The fascia, soffit and gutter extend out about 1ft over the sheet so it should provide reasonable shelter. I actually left a gap all round, i.e. the sheets go in half way under the gutter but leave a gap of an inch or two. I'm hoping this will alleviate air pressure build up and stress loading in high winds.
    Img_7987.jpg

A final video, taken earlier before final touch ups etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

dnme, you mention in the video that you'd like to have another bolt into the end wall, there's no reason why you can't other than buying more chemical fix. Just drill through the timber into the wall, then chemical fix.
    (I like the chamfer)

2 stroke wrote: »
    dnme, you mention in the video that you'd like to have another bolt into the end wall, there's no reason why you can't other than buying more chemical fix. Just drill through the timber into the wall, then chemical fix.
    (I like the chamfer)

I cant chemical fix on that wall, it's hollow block and a very shallow surface area. The other three bolts are expanding rawl bolts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Excellent job done there:)

Great thread and so rewarding:)

Stove Fan:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Whens the boat coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

great job, well done. might be a bit late to suggest this, but the feed into the weatherproof junction box would be better to enter through the bottom of the box rather than the side to ensure that moisture doesnt run down the cables and get into the box. although it's probably in a reasonably dry position.

LLU wrote: »
    great job, well done. might be a bit late to suggest this, but the feed into the weatherproof junction box would be better to enter through the bottom of the box rather than the side to ensure that moisture doesnt run down the cables and get into the box. although it's probably in a reasonably dry position.

Not enough cable left to do that. Did the best with what I was left with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

dnme wrote: »
    Das ruuf

:D Fantastic! Lüking great!

Overall fantastic. I don't know how I'm feeling so enthusiastic about a lean-to. It's great to see the though that went into it and the end result. And it looks like such a nice structure on its own. A great achievement.

A great spinoff from a great programme thread

Hope your landlord is as appreciative as all us kids here!! You've done a fine job on improving the property. Nice one.

Enjoy it now.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hope your landlord is as appreciative as all us kids here!! You've done a fine job on improving the property. Nice one.

Enjoy it now.

The landlord is in England and reads these threads. His dad is my neighbour. A wonderful man that I spend a lot of time with. I don't think he's too impressed with this however. He kept a close eye on me during the build, I don't think he realised it would be as bulky as it is and you know what old people are like with any kind of change. Hopefully over time he'll come to like it. It's already a kinda heat trap which can only ever help this freezing old cottage.:eek:

A glorious sound. Somebody was asking for this, shot during a rain shower this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

dnme how can he not be happy with that. It's not if it was slap up by some cowboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Well done dnme, looks really great. Its a brilliant asset to the house and can't wait to see how it helps with the restoration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Great vid dnme - That feeling you get underneath the roof when it rains, I'm told, has got something to do with wombs !!!!;)

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Well done that man,oh and by the way thats the same sound you will hear when sleeping on the boat in the lashing rain after a day on the water.....a most beautiful sound ;)

The landlord is in England and reads these threads. His dad is my neighbour. A wonderful man that I spend a lot of time with. I don't think he's too impressed with this however. He kept a close eye on me during the build, I don't think he realised it would be as bulky as it is and you know what old people are like with any kind of change. Hopefully over time he'll come to like it. It's already a kinda heat trap which can only ever help this freezing old cottage.eek.gif

I'm a landlord myself and I would not be one bit unhappy if my tenant came along and offered to do this AT THEIR COST. It's a massive improvement to the property. It's a very professional job, well designed and well built, it will stand for years and adds to the property's aesthetics. Well done dnme.

To Mr landlord - be a happy landlord is my advice :rolleyes: :) !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Does the boat fit underneath it??

Does the boat fit underneath it??

Well it fits in theory. Havn't a clue how I'm gonna get it in there. For a different thread perhaps:cool:

• Advertisement

Just to finish up....

Added serious bracing to extension supports
    175997.jpg

Added extension to gutter down pipe. It fits now
    175998.jpg

If you can't go through, then go around. All pieces are oriented correctly
    175999.jpg

Also, I have some leftover stuff from the job going free to anyone who wants it.
    http://www.adverts.ie/989054

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wazabru

Dnme,

I would love to know how the lean to is performing in the current wind/rain?.

Are there any "gotchas" you have discovered or anything you would now change?.

DNME I'd like to know if you can recall the prices of the screws and plastic caps that you used to attach the corrugated platic to the timber? And where you got them?

I know this thread is two years old but I also know DNME is still lurking about here somewhere !! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Ah I miss this thread, and the companion boat restoration thread!
    Used to look forward to reading them every day, good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

…. (posted in wrong thread)

Delete

Advertisement