Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA say defunct satellite due to plunge to earth

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

So what going on now, ? i think no one here know anything about it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

An update 20 mins ago from NASA: Re-entry expected between (3 a.m. to 7 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans.

its by Nova Scotia now

LOCAL TIME:
    0:54:10
    UTC:
    23:54:10
    LATITUDE:
    LONGITUDE:
    ALTITUDE [km]:
    ALTITUDE [mi]:
    SPEED [km/s]:
    SPEED [mi/s]:
    AZIMUTH:
    W
    ELEVATION:
    RA:

It will be over Scotland shortly.

Dublin next according to Ustream

( maybe they meant Dublin Scotland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

should be over the north in a few mins

Jake1 wrote: »
    Dublin next according to Ustream

It will not overfly any part of us this time.

its like waiting for a pot to boil :D

Jake1 wrote: »
    its like waiting for a pot to boil :D

Sure is, NASA are saying at least another 2hrs and within 6hrs. I can see this thing still flying when I'm getting up for work in the morning.

Sure is, NASA are saying at least another 2hrs and within 6hrs. I can see this think still flying when I'm getting up for work in the morning.

yeah, thats what Im thinking, everytime it seems to start coming down, up it bounces again.

Might just have to settle for video in the morning .zzzzzzzzzzzz:o:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Been out observing for the past while... agree with the statement above about it bouncing back up again, that's exactly what it looked like to me too.

I did see several shooting stars this evening... nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Typical its raining here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

yep same here in swords co. dublin a lot of cloud and a bit of rain. that went right over us that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Sligo was teasing me with fast moving cloud providing patches of clear sky, but to not avail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Is there the possibility of it crossing Irish skies again?

not sure as i think it's after breaking up a bit

well it's still going like a bat out of hell so who knows how much longer it can stay up there. might be lucky again to have a pass but unless the weather gets better i can't see anyone getting a good view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

scattered cloud in galway, maybe a chance of a sighting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Looks like it's getting very close to re-entry now. Update from Nasa:
    As of 10:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 85 miles by 90 miles (135 km by 140 km). Re-entry is expected between 11:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 12:45 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3:45 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Heading towards New Zealand now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I taught it was between 11.45 and 12.45 Miami time which would be 4,45 and 5.45 here?

Apparently this happens once a year only the unit is normally designed for a controlled re entry but this one wasn't ad it's so old??

I taught it was between 11.45 and 12.45 Miami time which would be 4,45 and 5.45 here?

Yep, sometime within the next hour (we're on BST at the moment as opposed to GMT).

Getting close to Seattle and Canada with the expected re-entry window closing in the next 30 mins.

Latest tweet from Nasa:
    It's possible that #UARS is down by now. (Everybody OK out there?) We're waiting for confirmation from US Strategic Command.
    If it's not down, it's currently flying over Africa according to this stream.

This guy saying that it's breaking up over S.Africa, not sure where he's getting that from.

Peanut wrote: »
    This guy saying that it's breaking up over S.Africa, not sure where he's getting that from.
    Some mention of sightings in Canada earlier: "People north of Edmonton AB Canada saying they saw something "like fireworks" and 3 lights falling at10:20 pm" from this feed, not sure where they got that from either though.
    I wonder how long it'll take them to find some wreckage- if they can.

raveni wrote: »
    Some mention of sightings in Canada earlier: "People north of Edmonton AB Canada saying they saw something "like fireworks" and 3 lights falling at10:20 pm" from this feed, not sure where they got that from either though.
    I wonder how long it'll take them to find some wreckage- if they can.

Might be something to it, according to latest Nasa tweet,
    We're still waiting for #UARS Done! confirmation. If debris fell on land (and that's still a BIG if), Canada is most likely area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

Latest from Nasa
    Update #15
    Sat, 24 Sep 2011 08:46:42 AM GMT

NASA’s decommissioned Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite fell back to Earth between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23 and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24. The Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California said the satellite penetrated the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean. The precise re-entry time and location are not yet known with certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This vid is or was called a hoax by

http://twitter.com/#%21/UARS_Reentry

Thys might be talking about another vid ~~ confusing

Advertisement