Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA say defunct satellite due to plunge to earth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like the next pass will be just North of us, thought it would be a flyover but does not look like it now.

Yes, I think the next one will be just north of Ireland, but the one following that will go right over Ireland. That will be the important one. After that I don't think it will pass over us directly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Nasa say they have the legal ownership and we can't touch it. Do they still claim legal rights if it kills someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Rubecula wrote: »
    Do they still claim legal rights if it kills someone?

That would be a new one for the legal system for all concerned. What does it come under, luck, chance, act of God, 3rd party manslaughter.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

anyone got a live track of it ?
    the lizard-tail link is overloaded, i have heavens above going but hitting refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

That would be a new one for the legal system for all concerned. What does it come under, luck, chance, act of God, 3rd party manslaughter.:confused:

you can bet your house insurance won't cover damage caused by it though :D

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    Nasa say they have the legal ownership and we can't touch it. Do they still claim legal rights if it kills someone?
    Liability for damage caused by objects falling from space is regulated by the 1972 Convention on International Liability for Damage Caused by Space Objects, according to NASA public affairs officer Beth Dickey. [6 Biggest Spacecraft To Fall Uncontrolled From Space]

When the U.S. signed the pact, it agreed to be "absolutely liable to pay compensation for damage caused by its space object on the surface of the Earth or to aircraft in flight." That goes if UARS, or anything else NASA has put into orbit, crashes down in Kansas, France or Zimbabwe.

The terms cover just about everything. In this case, "damage" is defined as loss of life, personal injury or other impairment of health; or loss of or damage to property of states or of persons, natural or juridical, or property of international intergovernmental organizations.

And the payout is fairly good. Again, quoting the treaty: "The compensation which the launching State shall be liable to pay for damage under this Convention shall be determined in accordance with international law and the principles of justice and equity, in order to provide such reparation in respect of the damage as will restore the person, natural or juridical, State or international organization on whose behalf the claim is presented to the condition which would have existed if the damage had not occurred."

http://www.space.com/13065-falling-satellite-damage-liability.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

would i be right in saying half 11, 1, and half 2 are the 3 passes tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

I am surprised this thread is so quiet!!.. when i started browsing the net to see what was online about this.. I am surprised by the lack of news.. or is not news good news !!!
    I have two tracking sites open.. Googlesat track and heavens above!!

When the satellite reenters earth atmosphere will it still be tracked on these sites until it disentegrates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

would i be right in saying half 11, 1, and half 2 are the 3 passes tonight?

Are we gonna be able to see it at those time? Probs a stupid question:cool:

rainyrun wrote: »
    I have two tracking sites open.. Googlesat track and heavens above!!

When the satellite reenters earth atmosphere will it still be tracked on these sites until it disentegrates?

H A is giving me tracking times up to the 23rd of Oct ffs:D That's as far as I checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

noobie question - but can it be seen with the naked eye..

Conor108 wrote: »
    Are we gonna be able to see it at those time? Probs a stupid question:cool:

No, it's in the Earth's shadow in relation to us, unless it starts to re-enter on the orbit after this we will never see it again.

If you were in Cuba or thereabouts you would see it on the next orbit in the twilight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

so would i be even more right in saying the only time worth goin for the gawk would be 1 and half 2?

so would i be even more right in saying the only time worth goin for the gawk would be 1 and half 2?

Not worth it at all. You won't see a thing. It's only the size of a bus in the Earths shadow. We can't even see the ISS pass over when it's in the Earth's shadow.

tracking in realtime (after the ad ,with proper video ):

now I have 3 tracking sites open!!:D

Altitude 99 miles now.

Not worth it at all. You won't see a thing. It's only the size of a bus in the Earths shadow. We can't even see the ISS pass over when it's in the Earth's shadow.

ino but what im gettin at is, if it does burn up tonight over ireland then they will be the times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

SO here it is folks, Venezuela ...

Seven minutes! ?

• Advertisement

ino but what im gettin at is, if it does burn up tonight over ireland then they will be the times?

Don't think it will over us tbh. It's just dropped 4 miles in the past hour. Don't know by how much that process will speed up but I'd be shocked if we do see it. I'd love to see something like that with my own eyes.

Down to 96 miles now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

NASA latest new: we have no idea what is happening....
    NORAD latest news: UARS out of course and decending...

Down to 96 miles now.

Wow it's really coming down now.:eek:

3 minutes, but I think I've lost it again, last track still has it Mid Atlantic. Slowed????

Altitude rising again. Its not coming down just yet!

Altitude rising again. Its not coming down just yet!

Maquilladora.. where are you tracking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Still mid atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

HAHAHAHA... WE ARE ALL LIKE HORSE RACING COMMENTATORS! HA :D

• Advertisement

One site is saying this orbit will pass north of us, just on HA. The other, the real time link is looking like a direct pass over us.:confused:

Advertisement