Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"You've two days, get your stuff and get out"

Options
  • 07-09-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

LL said this to us about an hour ago. Sorry for the long post. And advice would be quite welcome.

We moved in back in November, we have had problems from day one with the landlord. She promised things and never done them, she dragged her feet on fixing things like frozen pipes and broken boilers for 3 and 5 weeks respectively, leaving us without water and heat for weeks over the big freeze last winter.

She also refuses to answer the phone or respond to texts sometimes.

We have paid our rent dutifully each month and we are quiet, respectful tenants who always consulted her before painting or hanging shelves etc.

At the very basic she has failed to provide BER and basic fire equipment. We contacted her 3 weeks ago about getting the house alarm fixed, after a break in attempt, destruction of our property in the garden and attempted robbery of our cars. She strung us along for three or four weeks, during which time she pissed off on holidays for 10 days.

We delayed rent this month to get a final answer on the alarm, after 4 days and no rent she texted us yesterday saying she would be round for it - i told her I would like to discuss alarm, she told me she wanted rent only. I asked her straight out would the alarm be fixed - no reply.

This morning I sent off notice of termination and I also included a separate sheet stating she could take our security deposit as final months rent (I know we can't technically do this, but she has a reputation for keeping deposits unfairly, so I didn't want to get stung)

This evening she called round (she hasnt received notice yet as it was sent by registered post and will arrive in the morning). She demanded rent, I told her I would not be paying, she could take it out of deposit, we would be gone by 2nd October - she started claiming we couldnt do that - we would be here rent free, deposit is her money not ours.

Also said "get your stuff, get out in 2 days" (knowing full well we have a 6 year old and a 14 week old to move also)

What is our position here? I have a 14 point list of how she was in breach of contract from day 1. Were we right to do as we have done? (legally I know the "keep the deposit" thing isn't kosher)

My OH is quite nervous now, thinking we are in the wrong and they can pursue us. Also we never got a letter from PRTB stating we were registered, is this a factor also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i would be out within the month
    she seems to think that the deposit is hers so just do what yer gut tells you

there are good landlords out there btw i've been renting for (christ) 16 years ad the last 10 have been brilliant (first 6 were a learning curve)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The deposit isn't hers, not remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

She seem's like a total cnut, I'm sure you're concerned bearing in mind you've young kids. Do you keep a signed rentbook ? She also can't assume its her god given right to keep your deposit .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Unfortunately no rent book - rent paid in cash, no receipts. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Do bank reciepts count? As in, I pay cash into LLs account and bank give me reciept with amount, date and LLs account number?

@op, do you pay into account or cash direct to LL?

• Advertisement

IPAM wrote: »
    Do bank reciepts count? As in, I pay cash into LLs account and bank give me reciept with amount, date and LLs account number?

@op, do you pay into account or cash direct to LL?

Direct to LL.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I wouldn't be too worried about her pursuing you anyway. If she kicks you out without sufficient notice then you can sue her for false eviction, seeing as you technically aren't paying your rent the required notice is 28 days. Secondly if you never received a letter from the PTRB, it probably means the landlord never register you and will face a pretty hefty fine if they ever find out, around €3000 afaik.

The only problem is I'm not sure what the burden of proof is with regards to how long you have been living there. I'd imagine that if you had bills in your name at the address since November they would count, but I'm not 100%.

Not sure what the best move is though, you seem to be holding all the cards to me, but you probably don't want the hassle of getting home to find the locks changed even if you have the option of suing her for damages later on.

Always a useful link about your rights with regards to tenancy: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html. According to that your type of tenancy is what is called a periodic tenancy, and it does fall under those rules even without a signed lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Give Threshold a call, they should be able to help you deal with her.
    http://www.threshold.ie/menu.asp?menu=102

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Tell her your not going anywhere. you will be out at the end of the month and if she doesnt like it tough that you know your rights

Tell her if she attempts to remove you before then you will ensure she gets done for an illegal eviction

Print these out and hand them to her highlight the bits where there have been awards to the tennants in respect to illegal evictions. Tell her you will make sure she ends up out of pocket is she attempts an illegal eviction and tell her her tax affairs better be in orde rbecasue you will be also reporting the tennancy to the revenue commissioners

http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Illegal%20Eviction1.pdf

http://public.prtb.ie/2011%20Disputes/Tribunals%202011/TR05.DR1006.2009/Tribunal%20Report.pdf

http://public.prtb.ie/2011%20Disputes/Tribunals%202011/TR369.DR372.2010/Tribunal%20Report.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just to be safe, I would take pictures of the place before you leave, have proof that you left it in good condition(Assuming you will!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres very little she can do about you using the deposit, but you can't refuse rent. Deposit is not meant to be used as rent. Its meant to cover breakages, so in effect, you've not paid rent, and you've left her no money to over breakages. In theory she could raise this with the PRTB/Court if you leave her out of pocket.

Its debatable if you've broken your lease, if shes also broken it by not fixing things etc. In reality, if shes not out of pocket, theres no breakages etc, then shes nothing to complain about. I expect thats how the PRTB would see it.

But the real question its, why on earth you've stayed there is you had all that hassle the whole time. That makes no sense. If BER and basic fire equipment was fundamental requirement you shouldn't have moved in, in the first place either.

If I was you I'd do the same thing. I'd just have done it back in Nov, or not moved in in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres very little she can do about you using the deposit, but you can't refuse rent. Deposit is not meant to be used as rent. Its meant to cover breakages, so in effect, you've not paid rent, and you've left her no money to over breakages. In theory she could raise this with the PRTB/Court if you leave her out of pocket.

she not regged with the prtb she dosen';t pay tax she dosen't provide reciepts and she dosen't provide a rent book

so lol

Its debatable if you've broken your lease, if shes also broken it by not fixing things etc. In reality, if shes not out of pocket, theres no breakages etc, then shes nothing to complain about. I expect thats how the PRTB would see it.

see above

But the real question its, why on earth you've stayed there is you had all that hassle the whole time. That makes no sense. If BER and basic fire equipment was fundamental requirement you shouldn't have moved in, in the first place either.

If I was you I'd do the same thing. I'd just have done it back in Nov, or not moved in in the first place.

needs must as the devil drives

So you rented somewhere thats not registered with the PRTB, and has all these issues from the start.

You're keeping LL like this in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

bigneacy wrote: »

Don't do this.

By the way, make sure to let Revenue know that she is renting the place out, or she'll continue to stiff other taxpayers on her contributions, and will try to force the next tenant go without rent book, receipts, money lodged to bank account etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

A dispute can be taken with PRTB regardless of if the landlord is registered. If the are not then they will most likely get a fine.
    I agree with the above poster stay until your notice runs out and use the time to find somewhere else. If she tries to evict you give her the docs on illegal eviction. The PRTB don't look very favorably on illegal evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

A dispute can be taken with PRTB regardless of if the landlord is registered. If the are not then they will most likely get a fine.

Just to add to this. A tennant can make a dispute to the PRTB if the LL isnt registered.

A LL cannot take a tennant dispute to them in the same circumstance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Whatever happens, you absolutely have to shop this pig to Revenue and whatever other statutory authorities she's not complying with (PTRB etc.)

I would be very confident she is not fully compliant and this would be not only a great way of getting back for her appalling behaviour, it is also a civic duty that you are compelled to perform for the good of the country. We cannot be carrying people like this.

You MUST do this.

He should stop renting from such LL to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The deposit isn't hers, not remotely.

Unfortunately that does not prevent landlords from holding on to the deposit afterwards. The landlord cannot evict tenants ts even if they are not paying rent. The danger is that the landlord may simply come round and change the locks and how to deal with that.

The best course of action is to get a solicitor to write a letter outlining their responsibilities and the consequences of not undertaking these. It should also mention that you have the rent available to pay but also that the alarm requires repair.

The LL is chancing her arm without a leg to stand on.

Legally a tenant can't withhold rent either, regardless of the reason. I don't think there is any way for a LL to evict a tenant, it has to go to court etc. That said the fine for doing an illegal eviction can far less than the cost of going a legal route and the loss of rent and clean up. That said most LL's complain but rarely do anything about tenants using the rent as the last months deposit. But because the system is so screwed up, many think this is the correct way do handle it.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Legally a tenant can't withhold rent either, regardless of the reason. I don't think there is any way for a LL to evict a tenant, it has to go to court etc. That said the fine for doing an illegal eviction can far less than the cost of going a legal route and the loss of rent and clean up. That said most LL's complain but rarely do anything about tenants using the rent as the last months deposit. But because the system is so screwed up, many think this is the correct way do handle it.

Just to be clear BostonB, I already stated in my OP that this isn't the correct way to do it, I don't and never believed it was, but weighing up my options it was the path of least resistence - better than having to chase her through the PRTB system for the next 18-24 months and having to prove this that and the other. I'd rather her have to prove me wrong than vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Unfortunately until there is a deposit retention scheme the best option is nearly always to use your last months deposit as rent. It might not be the legal way but there are very little possible legal repercussions.

Oh I know and thats fair enough.

I'm just making the point that ist throwing stones in a glass house to complain about someone else not following correct process if I don't do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 seaniefitz

Whatever happens, you absolutely have to shop this pig to Revenue and whatever other statutory authorities she's not complying with (PTRB etc.)

I would be very confident she is not fully compliant and this would be not only a great way of getting back for her appalling behaviour, it is also a civic duty that you are compelled to perform for the good of the country. We cannot be carrying people like this.

You MUST do this.

i agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭paul71

It is posible but unlikely that the LL is declaring the rental income to the revenue, even if they are not registered with the PRTB, still a call to them would not go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

paul71 wrote: »
    It is posible but unlikely that the LL is declaring the rental income to the revenue, even if they are not registered with the PRTB, still a call to them would not go astray.
    As 75% of rental and such items as depreciation can be written off against mortgage interest most LL's would be tax compliant as it costs very little if they have a mortgage. A lot however are not registered with PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Report her to the taxman too.
    Go to your local Citizens Advice office and get their help.
    Ring the Garda station and have it on record that she is threatening to evict you and get them to keep a record of it. They wont get involved as its a civil matter but if you tell them that she threatened you they will have a word with her. Get in first is the name of the game. Keep a list of all your problems with her for the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Knasher wrote: »
    Secondly if you never received a letter from the PTRB, it probably means the landlord never register you and will face a pretty hefty fine if they ever find out, around €3000 afaik.

Please report her to them OP. For us? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

jsd1004 wrote: »
    As 75% of rental and such items as depreciation can be written off against mortgage interest most LL's would be tax compliant as it costs very little if they have a mortgage. A lot however are not registered with PRTB
    The type of landlord the OP describes sounds like one of the older school who are mortage free. They would be crucified by the taxman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The type of landlord the OP describes sounds like one of the older school who are mortage free. They would be crucified by the taxman.

This LL deserves to be reported. She sounds like an ignorant thundering b!tch.

Advertisement