Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Dating....

Options
  • 05-09-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a date next Monday but as I am between jobs at the moment it has to be done on the cheap. I am looking for somewhere nice to eat in city centre that will impress and won't break the bank!!

So how about a thread where we can recommend places to bring a date that is good quality and good value. Similar to to a dating bargain alerts.

Perhaps the ladies that frequent here could give some tips on where would be good.

Looking forward to your recomendations,

Cheers.

frAg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

frag420 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a date next Monday but as I am between jobs at the moment it has to be done on the cheap. I am looking for somewhere nice to eat in city centre that will impress and won't break the bank!!

So how about a thread where we can recommend places to bring a date that is good quality and good value. Similar to to a dating bargain alerts.

Perhaps the ladies that frequent here could give some tips on where would be good.

Cheers.

frAg

I think you just have to see what you can afford have you set a budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Tapas should be a good bet. The Market Bar is pretty good, and I've heard there's a place on the north quays that's excellent and dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hi folks,

Cheers.

frAg

I think you just have to see what you can afford have you set a budget?

Maybe fifty bucks or there abouts. Was thinking maybe something casual with a few drinks but open to all suggestions.

Cheers

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

Tapas is a great idea because you can share. I can't help you with specific places as I don't know Dublin but if anyone is in Galway I always wanted to go on a date for tapas in Java's.
    I actually think somewhere relaxed is nicer for an early date than anywhere fancy. A late night/evening cafe sounds perfect to me. Somewhere like that is good because you can eat if you want but it's also okay to just get something small - I get too nervous to eat on a first or second date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Hi folks,

Cheers.

frAg

You could start by informing everyone which city you're referring to.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Cheers.

frAg

My bad, Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

You know he has his city in his profiler...

You know he has his city in his profiler...

Someone asking for the advice of others should show some basic courtesy and supply all appropriate information.:rolleyes:

My bad, Dublin!!

Now there's a surprise. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

There's no need for the all the rolling eyes mate. Just because you clearly have a problem with Dublin folk doesn't mean you need to be rude and unhelpful. OP forgot to mention Dublin in his original post but if you had moved your eyes slightly to the left you would've seen it mentioned Dublin as his location.

OP, I've no names of places in particular but I would suggest checking out some of the offers on Citydeal. Food deals come up quite often there and would be nice for a date!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Just be honest about your situation.

Any created or elaborate lies just mucky the grounds for a genuine relationship.

A decent woman likes a man for what he is, character, values, beliefs, rather than what the employment status assumes him to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

+1 for the tapas and a glass or two of red, have a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Porto House-South William Street.Great food,reasonable prices and tapas keeps things nice and informal specially for a first date!!
    Yamamori
    Saba

All cheap and cheerful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No surprises that this user is now perm banned from tGC and I reckon that will be site wide before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Just ask to see her again. Thats it. Costs nothing other than a fresh air walk. If she expects more well why does'nt she pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

Dublin i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Someone asking for the advice of others should show some basic courtesy and supply all appropriate information.:rolleyes:

Haha been reading some of ur previous posts, u really are a seriously highly strung person...lighten up:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm just gonna leave this here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Early bird special in the Mongolian BBQ.

Pure win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

You could try the open air market in temple bar maybe? All fresh food and made on the spot. Depends on the lady in question though, some may hate it, others might like it.

There's also a little known pizzeria in rathmines named manifesto. World pizza champions and the food is very reasonably priced and quite romantic. When I was there with a mate it was all couples - http://manifestorestaurant.ie/menu/

3FE is also pretty cool if ye are into your coffee and they now do nice rolls, not tried them but look yum, world champion baristas and trendy setting.

Few ideas for ya :) Best of luck

• Advertisement

Early bird special in the Mongolian BBQ.

Pure win.
    Is that the place in temple bar??

Dunno how to do multi quotes but to address previous posts we have agreed on dinner as she is travelling to see me.

@Darlughda.... She knows my situation and appreciates it but I would still like to make the effort. Guess it's the old romantic in me.

Appreciate all the recommendations so far,

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

R P McMurphy,if you dont have anything helpful to add then dont bother posting here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Is this a first date OP?

From my past experiences and talking to girls I know, going for a meal on a first date is actually a kind of a no no as there is no walking away if things aren't going well, you're both kinda stuck there for the duration of the meal and that can lead to some awkward silences. So a coffee or a few drinks is a better option.

If its a second date or so, then tapas is a good option and I can definitely recommend the Market Bar off Georges St, been there many a time and there is something to suit all tastes, plus its you have the option of ordering a few small pieces as nibbles or a good few for a proper meal and sharing is always a good conversation piece too..

Best of luck with it.. :)

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Is this a first date OP?

From my past experiences and talking to girls I know, going for a meal on a first date is actually a kind of a no no as there is no walking away if things aren't going well, you're both kinda stuck there for the duration of the meal and that can lead to some awkward silences. So a coffee or a few drinks is a better option.

If its a second date or so, then tapas is a good option and I can definitely recommend the Market Bar off Georges St, been there many a time and there is something to suit all tastes, plus its you have the option of ordering a few small pieces as nibbles or a good few for a proper meal and sharing is always a good conversation piece too..

Best of luck with it.. :)

It is a first date but we have talked a lot and have a good bit in common so I am not too worried about running out of things to say. As mentioned we are agreed we are going for dinner so no going back now.

Appreciate your input though.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Faffies creperie on Kevin st. Is pretty good and there's the noodle hut around the corner that's disgustingly good and dirt cheap plus you'll impress her if you're any good with chopsticks but it is a bit on the fast-food level of decor. They're mostly Malaysian in there, "Teri ma ma say" is Malay for thank you. Bowl of noodles for a fiver then desert in Faffies is a good combo. St. Valentine is just down the road in the church just up from the YMCA if you want to pop in for a quick visit with her. The Cornish pasty place in Merchant's arch is also very tasty if you want to grab something to eat elsewhere like along the boardwalk, cheesy romantic like. The coffee from La Corte in the Epicurean is top notch. The more places you visit, activities you do, amplifies the time she's spent with you when she looks back and remembers her date with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Sultan kebab on Parliment street 12 euro for a kebab plate worth dying for and theres plenty of roomto find a quiet corner to talk.
    works every time : )

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

What about Mexico to Rome in Temple Bar - never had a problem with the food and always reasonable priced. Not sure what time you are meeting her at but they have an early bird menu

http://www.mexicotorome.com/EarlyBird.php

Or they do a €19.00 set menu - Sunday -to- Thursday - good selection and is a 3 course
    http://www.mexicotorome.com/19euro%20SetMenu.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

She knows my situation and appreciates it but I would still like to make the effort. Guess it's the old romantic in me.

I know you said that you've already committed to having dinner but personally I'd always see something that's not the 'norm' date-wise as being a little more romantic - maybe just have a main course in a restaurant and then go for a wander around with some ice creams? And if it's a cold night you could get a couple of take-away lattes and have a hip-flask of a lil' something with you - rough n' ready Irish coffees ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

g'em wrote: »
    I know you said that you've already committed to having dinner but personally I'd always see something that's not the 'norm' date-wise as being a little more romantic - maybe just have a main course in a restaurant and then go for a wander around with some ice creams? And if it's a cold night you could get a couple of take-away lattes and have a hip-flask of a lil' something with you - rough n' ready Irish coffees ftw :D

G'em, classy bird ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Will wrote: »
    G'em, classy bird ;):p

Hell yeah, knacker drinking SoCoDu style :pac:

Advertisement