Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

the pyrenees sound great. I would love to do the raid (or just lots and lots of hills). July should be good for me. Thanks captain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Still interested. Will start putting money away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ferry Timetables are out so I can start planning. Pricing was looking terrible until the good people at marble city travel stepped in to give us a special discount on the ferry. He can't do a whole lot on the accomodation side but will pass on any discounts as we're related. I'm thinking Monday 23rd July until Friday for the raid. If anyone wants to speak to me one on one, PM me your phone number, good time to phone and I'll get back to you. I hope to come back to ye with a final price very soon but I'm hoping for under a grand, actually balls, if it comes to over a grand I can't afford it anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

sounds good captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

captain if we looked at may june instead probably could get cheaper, im planning to take in the depart in liege then head home but well up for this. if we are in pyrennes outside tour it will be much cheaper too i reckon

• Advertisement

im easy on dates. It would be nice to catch the tour, but Ive seen it before, so wouldnt miss it that much...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

manafana wrote: »
    captain if we looked at may june instead probably could get cheaper, im planning to take in the depart in liege then head home but well up for this. if we are in pyrennes outside tour it will be much cheaper too i reckon

Tour finishes the day before the intended start.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

I rode the RP independently in 2009. It's a fantastic ride. I was pretty fit at the time but being less fit wouldn't be a problem -- it'd take longer but all you need to do is eat, ride and sleep, so there's no rush.

Write up at http://sites.google.com/site/markdraytoninfo/rides/raid-pyrenean-2009.

Tour finishes the day before the intended start.

sorry i mis read dates, yeah just after tour would be good idea, would be great idea, got remember be some serious heat too so imagine it will be though.

manafana wrote: »
    sorry i mis read dates, yeah just after tour would be good idea, would be great idea, got remember be some serious heat too so imagine it will be though.

Yeah, when I cycled the summer of 2010, I was in 40 degrees every day for a week, I think I was going through one to two litres of water an hour. People need to remember it's not a race and you can stop at a shop for water, I think it's less than a euro for two litres in most mini-marts. I'm still hoping to do a pre-raid cycle. I'm on holidays next week and will work on it Tuesday and Wednesday and present it to my brother and see what discounts he can do.

• Advertisement

if its not a race im not going!! :P

any updates on this im planning my summer schedule, and wondering is anyone else still interested, im thinking of maybe basing out of mid pyrennes for week either way to do some climbs myself.

Sorry, my brother and I have been a little distracted recently.

im still up for this, as is a friend. flight clearance booked with the boss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Man I would love to do this but me thinks you would have to be super fit :(

well as was mentioned its not a race its very doable over a day and i think the key is to enjoy the sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I am still on for this. Been saving up. Lets hope we can get enough people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

So what is the over all price

any update on this?
    Myself and my mate are definates, flight clearance sorted with other halves. Charity picked for fundraising. Captain, if you need a hand organising let me know.

Lenny

Same as lenny i have this in calender, money put aside, would be great do it with bunch of board users,

anything you may need on french speaking side of things please ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

+1 on help. Let us know what you need. I think the Capt speaks French.
    If you need help on language the missus speaks fluent French.

I speak del boy french. Aurevoir my son, aurevoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Tempting. Didn't the lone journeyman Blorg and Barrrabus(or was it empty) do this a couple of years back?
    Yep great trip, hard going after a month doing sfa in france. Would thoroughly recommend. Train tho, I had a lazy month on the build up and suffered particularly on day 2 . Abisque and tourmalet.

How many people are still definatly on for this?
    1. lenny
    2. lennys mate

lennymc wrote: »
    How many people are still definatly on for this?
    1. lenny
    2. lennys mate

1. lenny
    2. lennys mate
    3. Captain Havoc

1. lenny
    2. lennys mate
    3. Captain Havoc
    4. ROK ON

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Is there a bugdet yet? I am a maybe...

1000 was mentioned earlier on in the thread, so budget for about that i would imagine. Thats what Im doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

1. lenny
    2. lennys mate
    3. Captain Havoc
    4. ROK ON
    5. coastwatch

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Is there a bugdet yet? I am a maybe...
    LOL. Astra if you sold half your campag blinged up bikes you could afford to take Concord out of retirement and fly us all to Biarritz and still have enough for a full Mavic style support car and a broom wagon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement