Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flying higher does use less fuel, but this only useful to a point, there is an altitude called OPTIMUM altitude, this is where you get the maximum "Nautical Air Miles" for a given amount of fuel. So in an old fashioned aircraft, one would basically aim for this altitude, as you get lighter this altitude gets higher, so you climb with it, it might also help to slow down, but if you slow down it will take longer to cover the distance, so you have to assess your total fuel to cover that distance at the slower speed.

To take this a step further you get whats called ECON cruise, this is based on a value called "Cost Index" that is entered in the FMS. Some airlines will have a specific CI value for each route, or they may assess the need for an on time arrival to be more important than fuel costs, this is due to missed connections etc.

With Cost Index you ignore the costs that are not controlled by the hour, like paying for the aircraft lease/loan, insurance, airline operations administration costs, these have to be paid at the end of the month regardless of how much you fly.

So you compare the hourly costs of the aircraft versus fuel, lets say its $100 = $100. But on a certain route fuel is expensive so it becomes $100 = $200, ouch i want to cut down that fuel cost so i fly slower, this will increase my hourly costs but reduce my fuel cost, so we end up with $140 = $150, in doing this we have saved $10 for that hour. It doesn't sound like a lot but our A320 fleet flies something like 10,000 hours a month, so over a year thats over $1,000,000 saving in fuel costs. Now considering that the costs involved are a lot higher than my little formula, you can see how these savings are worthwhile.

As for Garbage IN/OUT, well ECON has to use WINDS to make an accurate calculation of time, if you dont enter real winds for the whole route, its not going to make a total accurate calculation, OK it will reassess each time it gets a wind, but from your planning stage it was wrong.

Then the fixed costs, lets say an airline decides to include the cost of its operational staff in the formula, it would increase the fixed costs so it wouldn't push you to save as much fuel. This is why i find it funny when people ask on forums, "hey we are new to CI, what do you guys use"? It doesn't work that way, if one is unaware of how the formula works, then the easiest thing to do is ask Boeing/Airbus for a standard CI value that equates to your desired Cruise Speed, ie constant mach or LRC.

Most airlines have an operational engineering department, who would calculate these values and submit them to the flight planning system as well as giving them to the crew.

As to additional maintenance for flying high, we dont record the altitude that we fly at, so maintenance have no way of assessing if we flew high or low. Plus with the logic of the pressurisation system, the cabin is pressurised to a pressure regardless of the altitude, for example today we will fly at FL210 with the cabin altitude at Sea Level and the pressurisation setting will be at about 7.5, on the way back it will most likely remain at 7.5, but if we climb to FL320, the cabin altitude will increase to 3000 feet. Maybe some of the technicians on here might correct me on this, but AFAIK we dont have additional maintenance checks due to higher cruising levels.

And now i have to go do an annual line check :(:(

smurfjed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Wow, that's really comprehensive stuff smurf, thanks for taking the time to explain it in such detail, really appreciate it.

I may have to read it a couple of times more to digest it so there may be one or two final questions but on first read it all makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

Cheers for that comprehensive post above smurfjed....... as posted by another poster; I too will have to read it a few times to comprehend it but thanks for taking the time to post.

Hope the annual line check went well...... I'm sure you flew it (Pun intended!!!!!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Line checks....it's just theatre.....do it by the book.....keep things simple/stupid. Don't go down avenues that are unlit. Wish I could say the same about my recent bike test failure!

I'm interested to know a little more about the flight planning systems. Is this just a standalone solution or is it integrated with the aircraft computer? And, is it just for planning? What I mean is, are any actual values recorded and compared against the plan (so we can see how wrong we got wind speed etc.)?

Finally, do all airlines use the same flight planning systems, or are there a number of providers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

How much would a flight from Dublin to Liverpool make flying with Ryanair.
    Full plane + food, drink, papers, scratch cards, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Do pilots,particularly with large ops such as EI & FR for example,have favourite aircraft they like to fly and are there some aircraft that when they see the reg on the flightplan they groan at the thoughts of flying it?

Do pilots ever get scared with bad turbulence, what makes them think, "fcuk this job isn't for me anymore"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

robertxxx wrote: »

There was a very interesting show on channel 4 recently (might still be on 4od) that showed their profit expectation is about €10 per passenger (might even be as low as €7?).

There was a very interesting show on channel 4 recently (might still be on 4od) that showed their profit expectation is about €10 per passenger (might even be as low as €7?).

Yes, but what's the total intake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Do pilots ever get scared with bad turbulence, what makes them think, "fcuk this job isn't for me anymore"

Nope...even severe turbulence isnt actually that bad for a pilot who has flown 1000s of hours and knows what's going on etc

Nope...even severe turbulence isnt actually that bad for a pilot who has flown 1000s of hours and knows what's going on etc
    I know of people who got off the aircraft, picked up their bags and walked away, never to return due to inflight turbulence.... so i guess that the answer is YES.

smurfjed

Do you really think that anyone outside of FR Finance department has that information?

smurfjed

Are you really 16 years old? You ask some extremely interesting questions :)
    I'm interested to know a little more about the flight planning systems. Is this just a standalone solution or is it integrated with the aircraft computer? And, is it just for planning? What I mean is, are any actual values recorded and compared against the plan (so we can see how wrong we got wind speed etc.)?

Finally, do all airlines use the same flight planning systems, or are there a number of providers?

I'm going to guess here that Lockheed (Aircraft manufacturer, builder of L1011 Tristar) were one of the first developers of a flight planning system, they later became Lockheed Memrykord and then Jeppesen, who are now one of the bigger providers of flight planning software. The older versions were standalone and were pretty hit and miss due to the lack of computing power and available data.

Now a lot of the systems are integrated, so the weight control adds the payload and exact fuel to the Computerised flight plan prior to the flight, this is combined with fuel costs for departure and destination and aircraft costs to provide a speed schedule based on cost efficiency. The captain and dispatcher agree on the flight fuel etc. Once onboard and everything loaded, a final flight plan is uploaded directly to the FMS. After the flight, the original fuel plan and the actual fuel plan are compared to assess the differences, this in turn can lead to fuel or drag biases getting added to that specific aircraft tail number as part of a larger performance monitoring program.

Some airlines have in-house flight planning systems, other providers are Lufthansa LIDO, Sabre with their crap system, Sabre with their recently purchased FWZ system and some company in Sweden who's name i can never remember.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

LeftBase wrote: »

Then that's a pilot who hasn't actually seen severe turbulence...

MoeJay wrote: »
    Then that's a pilot who hasn't actually seen severe turbulence...

If you are too scared to maintain control or keep your cool no matter what happens...even if the wings come off!..you have no business operating a passenger jet...or carrying passengers at all for that matter.

Caution is healthy fear is dangerous. If at any time you feel that you are unable to operate in conditions you are likely to encounter some day you should seek remedial training or withdraw from normal ops until you are up to the grade.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yes, but what's the total intake.
    As with smurfjed above.....no-one will give you that info. I would hazard a guess that less than 50 people actually know the figure, and there are all FR finance/commercial employees.

While you are interested in the actual taking of the flights, airlines are only interested in the profit margin. If route A takes in 50K a month but costs 49K then is is less attractive to the airline than Rout B which only takes in 11K a month but costs even less at 6K a month. Route A has a 1K profit while Route B makes 5K.....given a choice, FR (or any other airline) will operate Route B in fvour of Route A if only 1 aircraft is available.

FR themselves state that they ancillary revenue is (something close to) approx E15 per passenger. This would include booking fees, bags fees, check-in fees, prority boarding fees, onboard sales. So on your DUB-LPL route 100 pax = 1500 reveunue on top of ticket sales. This could be anything depending on time of day and which day of the week (Is it match day?..... then it 150+ per pax......is it Tuesday evening in January....then it 40-60 per pax) We don't know their fuel costs or their labour costs so cannot even begin to estimate their total revenue s costs on this route

The FR profit margin is something close to 7% which is huge in aviation terms.....
    Average profit margins in the industry are closer to 2-3%.

This info is available in the FR full year results, as it is for other airlines too.

If at any time you feel that you are unable to operate in conditions you are likely to encounter some day you should seek remedial training or withdraw from normal ops until you are up to the grade.
    Wow, what a statement. I'm sure that this is based on your worldwide aviation experience.

So are you saying that you have never scared yourself in an aircraft?

smurfjed

We are looking for an A320 Captain based in Danshanbe, Tajikistan, the starting salary will be US$5,800 per month (US$4,000 for a First Officer

Taken from climvxxxx.com website, this is getting ridiculous. But for those of you looking to start training and become pilots, please look around at salaries before you commit yourselves to massive loans.

smurfjed

smurfjed wrote: »
    Wow, what a statement. I'm sure that this is based on your worldwide aviation experience.

So are you saying that you have never scared yourself in an aircraft?

smurfjed

If you are scared of conditions that you will doubtless encounter at some point in a career while flying(such as severe turb) and feel you cannot operate should you come across those conditions then you should not be doing the job. Training is there so that pilots can operate safely and calmly given a wide range of stressful situations.

I have scared myself many times while in an aircraft. Some of it was during training in light singles and a few times in light twins...however these instances were in the course of new maneuvers or engineered by my instructor to show me how bad things can go in flight. I took these experiences and all other such training related experiences on board and used them to diminish fear of being in a bad situation.

Like I said earlier, caution is healthy but fear helps nobody. I would be cautious about flying into a CB and avoid it for example...but if I was to find myself inside one by some strange happening(this kinda happened once) then I would not let fear try me over because that just makes things worse. I pay my electricity bills but I'm not afraid of the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

A question for any pilots who fly to America or over multiple time zones.
    What's the rule regarding jet lag?
    Do you stay on your own home time ( Irish time) when you get there or do you adjust mid flight or when you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

LeftBase wrote: »
    If you are too scared to maintain control or keep your cool no matter what happens...even if the wings come off!..you have no business operating a passenger jet...or carrying passengers at all for that matter.

Caution is healthy fear is dangerous. If at any time you feel that you are unable to operate in conditions you are likely to encounter some day you should seek remedial training or withdraw from normal ops until you are up to the grade.

I appreciate your input. I feel absolutely at ease exercising the privileges of my licence.

However, luckily, the vast majority of pilots have not encountered severe turbulence. And most probably never will. But for those who have (and whom I have talked to about it) it tends to make things go quiet on the flight deck. So I don't believe that it requires a blasé attitude.

What's the rule regarding jet lag?
    It depends on the person, on how long you are going to stay there, what time the shops close and how long was the flight. Friends who operate their on a regular service that arrives in the morning generally sleep for a few hours, then go out shopping etc and sleep on USA time. On their departure day, it depends on who will fly first, they will sleep daylight hours due to the flight departure, so any attempt that you made to adjust in the beginning is destroyed. So there is no magic secret to overcome jet lag.

With the introduction of flights to LAX later this year (16 hour flight), we will operate a route structure over 20 time zones, but the regulations that will be in force will prohibit scheduling crews to go 10 hours one east and after that flight, immediately go 10 hours west.

smurfjed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

There's really no "rule" regarding jetlag. Everyone deals with it their own way. You just work out what's best for yourself from experience.
    If I'm tired, I sleep, even if it's 2 in the afternoon. There's no point trying to force yourself to sleep if you're not tired.
    But that's just how I do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

There's really no "rule" regarding jetlag. Everyone deals with it their own way. You just work out what's best for yourself from experience.
    If I'm tired, I sleep, even if it's 2 in the afternoon. There's no point trying to force yourself to sleep if you're not tired.
    But that's just how I do it!

Thanks for the replies .

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

lord lucan wrote: »
    Do pilots,particularly with large ops such as EI & FR for example,have favourite aircraft they like to fly and are there some aircraft that when they see the reg on the flightplan they groan at the thoughts of flying it?

Great question, anyone have an answer?

I hate jetlag..... 5am in the morning and I'm wide awake, pick up in 4 hours :(

I asked this question to a friend who flies the A320, we have over 40 of them, he replied that he didn't usually know which aircraft that he was on, and that the only difference for him was remembering that some had more fuel than others. But as they are all set up the same, and with an operating policy that just about has the autopilot on 99% of the time, he really doesn't see a difference between them.

As for me, i have 6 aircraft to choose from, and we hand fly a lot more, the joys of not having active flight dating monitoring systems :). And yes we know which aircraft flies nicer, which one is slightly out of rigging, which one always a "X" fault on startup etc, and which one has the best interior for the route. For example, the aircraft coming up to the UK today has the largest number of seats, it has 2 long sofa's that have plenty of room underneath them for storing shopping, so in about 30 minutes I'm heading to Tesco to stock up. We have another that has a double bed in the aft cabin, just perfect for long deadhead flights, and another with a shower. So depending on where we are going, the selection of aircraft can make a nice difference to us.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

On the point of knowing what to expect from individual aircraft, a friend who used to be on the 146 knew exactly how much extra rudder trim they would need above and beyond what would be required anyway, once they saw the reg. Apparently some needed quite the extra touch ;)

Our crew meals are slightly different to the standard Ryanair crew meals :)

9189149401_a074d5cf2a_c.jpg

smurfjed

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Are you really 16 years old? You ask some extremely interesting questions :)

Sadly not. You can pretty much double that :(

I'm just a bit of a nerd with an interest in numbers and aviation!

To continue the theme, how good would you say commercial airlines are at performance monitoring?

Is it something in your opinion saves airlines money or, in reality, do the practicalities of running a large (or any size) airline mean that for all the monitoring and planning in the world, unexpected stuff happens and tail numbers are swapped last minute making monitoring and planning of routes by tail number meaningless?

Also, are those grapes seedless?

Advertisement