Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Dublin it too 'up itself'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

I love Dublin! The junkies are funny, especially the one the dances on O'Connell Street, if he's even dancing.
    It's the same ****, different city. You mightent see junkies or assholes in other cities because they probably have them under control there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

That's one of the Fingal County Council Ceili Band members there, trying to drum up a little support for the Confused and Bewildered Dubs Daycare Shelters flag day. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I think a lot of people in Dublin are a bit deluded about how important it is in relation to the rest of the world. You can see it on threads about the cost of living and things like that, with loads of people saying, 'well, it's on a par with similar cities like London and New York'. But it's not on the same level as those places, it's a small capital city on the edge of Europe. Same thing with people getting offended or amused when foreigners can't pronounce place names or haven't heard of things. Ireland is a tiny country. Most people know very little about it and really don't care. I think with the whole Celtic Tiger and the 'Ireland is cool' thing in the 1990's, a lot of people just got it into their heads that it's a really important city. It's also a massive kip in many parts - the amount of junkies/scumbags is out of control. Don't get me wrong, I do like Dublin in general, it's my ideal size for a city and there's a great vibe about the place. But it's not the centre of the universe a lot of people seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I think a lot of people in Dublin are a bit deluded about how important it is in relation to the rest of the world. You can see it on threads about the cost of living and things like that, with loads of people saying, 'well, it's on a par with similar cities like London and New York'. But it's not on the same level as those places, it's a small capital city on the edge of Europe. Same thing with people getting offended or amused when foreigners can't pronounce place names or haven't heard of things. Ireland is a tiny country. Most people know very little about it and really don't care. I think with the whole Celtic Tiger and the 'Ireland is cool' thing in the 1990's, a lot of people just got it into their heads that it's a really important city. It's also a massive kip in many parts - the amount of junkies/scumbags is out of control. Don't get me wrong, I do like Dublin in general, it's my ideal size for a city and there's a great vibe about the place. But it's not the centre of the universe a lot of people seem to think it is.

Don't think that's a Dublin thing though, just an Irish thing. We absolutely love ourselves, we think the whole mole world loves dear old Ireland and we milk even the slightest success at anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'm from Dublin, but I've lived around and abroad at different periods. Dublin is a grand town and I love it, but it's a small, ugly city off the fringes of Europe. Because of the size of the town relative to the population of the country, Dubliners can have a delusional notion of their own centrality/sophistication etc. and of the importance of Dublin. They can be like the fat lazy-minded Yanks who think the US is the only decent place on the planet and the best at everything (without ever having left the place).

I love Dublin and hope to return there to live, but the attitudes of so many of my fellow Dubs are quite hilarious.

Edit: IzzyWizzy, just saw your post, I agree totally. Dublin would be better compared to Leeds or maybe Porto or some other fairly out-of-the-way backwater rather than Tokyo or New York. Those notions are laughable. Look at the transport infrastructure - we have 2 tramlines, a comparable city in Germany or France would have dozens of tramlines and a metro system. Brussels - a similar sized city - has 4 metros lines (with 60 odd stations), 2 undergrounded tram lines, and maybe 20 normal tram lines. And integrated ticketing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

IzzyWizzy wrote: »

Good post, Dublin and many of it's denizens seem to have this ''we're up there with London,Paris etc '' complex, it's a good place in it's own right in many parts, near the mountains, sea, nightlife, restaurants, pub etc, but needs
    to lose the attitude, I think it was a much friendlier, personable city pre the mid 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

We punch above our weight, but not in any real significant way.

Dublin is a nice small capital city, I can drive across the whole thing in 4o minutes at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I'm not sure the populace of the principle city of any of the other countries cited gets as much grief from provincials/boggers etc. than Dubliners do. The **** I've got from people down the country 'cos I'm from Dublin is sickening. It's tantamount to racism. The worst thing is half of the Dublin denigrators actually make their living from the city.

maybe if you quit calling people not from Dublin, boggers, you snob :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

South Eastern Dubliners are the master race. FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I've just moved back to Dublin after 3 years in the UK and only now do I realise how much I actually missed it. The people are so friendly you can have a laugh with total strangers on the street and then be on your merry way!

I love London but that's a city up its own hole and it doesn't have the friendliest people either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The-Rigger wrote: »
    ~Everything you said is so retarded that it is hard to know where to start... or whether to bother.

class soming from the mod of Sunshine and Lollipops and raunbows :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I'm not sure the populace of the principle city of any of the other countries cited gets as much grief from provincials/boggers etc. than Dubliners do. The **** I've got from people down the country 'cos I'm from Dublin is sickening. It's tantamount to racism. The worst thing is half of the Dublin denigrators actually make their living from the city.

Are you basing this on having lived out side of Ireland? If not then come visit either London or Madrid and see if your theory hold up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

bayern282 wrote: »
    ....you don't experience the random, mindless sort of hostility that you experience in Dublin, eg; randomly being called a ''prick'', ''knacker'', ''****'', ''fag'' the list goes on.

You actually think that you don't face hostility in other cities? Really? Watch the news much?

Also, everybody everywhere faces people like are described by the OP. There are ignorant and rude people everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I've a love hate relationship with Dublin to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Maybe you not calling them "provincials/boggers" might be a start ?

Particularly considering that Dublin is part of the province of Leinster, there are other cities in the country and even - shock, horror - rural areas that are nowhere near a bog!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sorry but no.

Dublin versus the rest of the country thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement