Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snow just refusing to cross the Russian border at the moment, its been stuck there all week!

25thnov2011.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It snowed last night here in Brno in the Czech Republic, just down near the border with Austria and Slovakia. It's not deep, maybe a cm at it's worst.

Harps wrote: »
    Snow just refusing to cross the Russian border at the moment, its been stuck there all week!

25thnov2011.gif

It's waiting for it's visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

We could be waiting a while by the looks of things upsteam:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Amazing the way the snow seems to stop dead on the ukranian and belarusian borders. Scandinavia seems to have a lack of snow, would have expected more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Amazing the way the snow seems to stop dead on the ukranian and belarusian borders. Scandinavia seems to have a lack of snow, would have expected more.

Thats thanks to the blocking euro high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Europe is very far behind compared to this time last year

Yesterday (2nd Dec 2011):
    ims2011336_asiaeurope.gif

2nd Dec 2010:
    ims2010336_asiaeurope.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Great pic , Sweden finally getting some snow cover

183689.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

df4f8d43bc9c4fa6a3df853.png

Irish snow at last! North has plenty and theres a few pixels in Wicklow too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

183983.gif

Huge ice gains in Hudson ay today as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

While on the one hand "snow cover levels were anomalously low over Scandinavia and northwestern Europe during November", this is much more encouraging "overall Northern Hemisphere snow cover was more extensive than normal this November, with most of the extra snow cover found in Canada and Russia. Snow covered an average of 36.2 million square kilometers (14.0 million square miles) of Northern Hemisphere land. This is 2.79 million square kilometers (1.08 million square miles) above the 1971 to 2000 mean, and ranks as the fourth most extensive cover in the past 46 years of satellite-derived snow cover records."

If we could just get some to come our way.

Today:
    cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

This day last year:
    ims2010353_asiaeurope.gif

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Today:

This day last year:

:(
    Interesting to see that there is actually more coverage in the 'stans and Mongolia this year. Depressing to see the lower sea ice coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Interesting to see that there is actually more coverage in the 'stans and Mongolia this year. Depressing to see the lower sea ice coverage.

I don't know - to me it looks like there's more ice off eastern Greenland, from Svalbard across to Novaya Zemlya and along the northern Russian coast to Archengelsk, while there is less in northern Canada, off eastern Asia and the Bering Strait. Overall though I'd say there's not much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ah, my post didn't appear. Strange.

My post was similar to what Su Campu posted. Looks about the same coverage as last year. In fact some places have ice that didn't last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It looks to be up if anything, apart from around Novaya Zemlya I can't see anywhere where there's noticeably less than last year

So Ireland and Portugal are the only countries in Europe without even a pixel of snow. Fúck our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Last year versus this year

jan31.gif

31jan.gif

It'll be interesting to see how this changes over the next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Interesting to see big areas of Poland and Germanywith no snow despite the low temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

K_1 wrote: »
    cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Interesting to see big areas of Poland and Germanywith no snow despite the low temps.

How come there are specks of white over parts of Ireland? I didn't think there had been any snow anywhere in Ireland...:confused:

It seems Ireland and Portugal are the mildest places in Europe right now! Even Italy and Turkey have been inundated with snow!

I think I'd rather move to a Continental country that gets the best of both worlds and proper seasons. I can't take any more of Ireland's uni-season climate and weather you can't rely on. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

By the looks of that image, there's even snow in North Africa! (must be mountains)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Conor30 wrote: »
    How come there are specks of white over parts of Ireland? I didn't think there had been any snow anywhere in Ireland...:confused:

It seems Ireland and Portugal are the mildest places in Europe right now! Even Italy and Turkey have been inundated with snow!

I think I'd rather move to a Continental country that gets the best of both worlds and proper seasons. I can't take any more of Ireland's uni-season climate and weather you can't rely on. :rolleyes:

Snow spots in Ireland must be hills, image is from yesterday so presumably there were spots of snow somewhere.

By the looks of that image, there's even snow in North Africa! (must be mountains)

Nope, low level snow across large areas of Algeria this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

yes, in Algiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The snow really has started to pull back from europe in the last couple of weeks

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/loop/asia-1mo-loop.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

196214.gif

The sea ice will be reaching its peak now very soon. Doesnt seem to be much ice this year in the area north of Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The sea ice will be reaching its peak now very soon. Doesnt seem to be much ice this year in the area north of Scandinavia.
    The sea north of Scandinavia is always ice free thanks to the Gulf Stream.
    The Russian port of Murmansk remains ice free all year for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The sea north of Scandinavia is always ice free thanks to the Gulf Stream.
    The Russian port of Murmansk remains ice free all year for example.

The sea ice north of Scandinavia (Barents and Kara seas) are very much below average this year and have been holding back the rest of the Arctic which has been close to or above average much of the Winter.
    The Barents sea is currently running at a 400,000km2 -ve anomaly, while Kara has a -ve 100,000km2 anomaly.
    All the data is here http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

This year compared to a typical year.
    http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/deetest/deetmp.16527.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bump! I can't edit my opening thread title but if a mod could do it for this season it would be much appreciated :)

It's that time of year again when gradually the Artic starts to cool and that process will speed up in the next 4 weeks.

I will post new charts later today to show the state of play. It's all very interesting to observe the ice and cold atmosphere advance and with it the hope (or fear depending on perspective) of another 2010/1947/1968 event. :)

Events around the hurricane season in the Atlantic will have a big say in our fate this winter. We want an active season.

I think that you would probably be better off starting a new thread for the next season.

As it is, on some other message boards the environmentalists are wetting themselves with the minimum sea Ice extent figures right now, looking for evidence that the "Ice free by 2020" model is still on track (which it isn't).

PS I'm not a mod on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    Start a new thread for 2014/15 Kermit.de.frog
    No need to revive a four year old zombie thread. We have a new snow/ice thread every year :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement