Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sept 4th

ims2011247_asiaeurope.gif

A month ago

ims2011269_asiaeurope.gif

and now

ims2011296_asiaeurope.gif

It's come on nicely in a month, but it's still a good bit behind what it was this time last year.

ims2010297_asiaeurope.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Su Campu wrote: »
    No snow in Lappland yet, but has there been an earthquake??!! :D

http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/english/kelikamerat/kamera-C1450801.html

176541.jpg

These cracks are "frost heave". Would be from earlier thaw outs of the frozen road foundation. Also endemic in this part of the world. Road crews merely pour melted asphalt/tar into the cracks in late Spring.

One thing to consider is the sea surface temperatures, according to this chart, the Arctic ocean appears to be warmer than usual.

This would probably increase the precipitation and increasing the chances of snow coming from the north.

sst_anom_new.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

SST001.gif

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Significant change today, American news on Sky this evening reported over a foot of snow in Denver Colorado. I have a friend who used to live in that part of the world, and this would be early for that sort of snowfall in that part of the world, we've visited several times in Autumn, the last time we were there for Halloween, and were outdoors in short sleeve T shirts, so that much snow this early will have got a few people's attention.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Significant change today, American news on Sky this evening reported over a foot of snow in Denver Colorado. I have a friend who used to live in that part of the world, and this would be early for that sort of snowfall in that part of the world, we've visited several times in Autumn, the last time we were there for Halloween, and were outdoors in short sleeve T shirts, so that much snow this early will have got a few people's attention.

Steve

Hearing the same thing from friends of mine in the states. Colorado as you mentioned, they had 88 yesterday and it dropped to 60 today. same thing expected to happen in Texas and right across the rest of the US over the next couple of days they've been telling me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

I was in Yosemite 3 weeks ago and the Tioga pass was closed with snow. Earliest in years apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think that was the fairly major system that hit California around the 3 or fourth of October. The snow level was down to 5,000 foot on the Sierra Nevada.We woke up to six inches of snow on the road one morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

NHSeaice27-10-11.png

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Well it's been chucking it down in Roger's Pass,in the Glacier National Park,British Columbia,Canada,i will be ski touring there after xmas,so keeping an eye on it everyday!:D
    http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/101.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hearing the same thing from friends of mine in the states. Colorado as you mentioned, they had 88 yesterday and it dropped to 60 today. same thing expected to happen in Texas and right across the rest of the US over the next couple of days they've been telling me

Health Warning.

All Temperatures here are Farenheit, and the dreaded SNOW word is mentioned :D

We went over to visit our friend in Denver a few years back, in February, and on the day we arrived, and for the next week, the temps were in the 70's by day. The following weekend, on Saturday at 1400, it was 72 at Denver airport when we collected a friend of ours.

Overnight, it went from 70 to -20, and we woke the following morning to over 18" of snow on the deck, but as there had been so little wind, we had things like the handrails of the stairs from the deck to the lower parking level that despite being nearly 45 degree angle, had a column of snow on it that was near enough 18" tall, very spectacular, especially as we weren't expecting it to be such a dramatic change so quickly.

Didn't cause too many hassles, we had access to a Jeep Cherokee, so in 4WD, we just had to be a little careful on some of the steeper slopes. We were about 30 miles and 2000 Ft above Denver, on the edge of the Rockies, spectacular spot that if I could, I would have moved to in an instant, but that's another story.

To go back to the other story, the East Coast of the US has taken a hammering this weekend, and even for that part of the world, it's early. It's going to be "interesting" to see how much of that sort of weather gets to this side of the pond over the next few months!

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

All Temperatures here are Farenheit, and the dreaded SNOW word is mentioned :D

REPORTED ....for using non SI units........:P

....not really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Massive increase in both snow and ice over the weekend :)

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

cursnow.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Now that we are starting to see the cold properly build in the east we should start seeing the models trending cooler over the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

October 31st in 2011, 2010 and 2009 comparison!

2011europe.gif

2010europe.gif

2009europe.gif

2011 seems to have way more snow cover than in 2010. The ice cover seems the same. More in the north in 2011 than in 2010 but less in the south. Overall the same.

2011 vs 2009 is more difficult but i would say that there was maybe 5% less snow and ice in 2011 than in 2009. The recovery and growth this year of ice and snow has been huge though. We were way behind only a few weeks ago. Hopefully this massive expansion will continue!

One thing to consider is the sea surface temperatures, according to this chart, the Arctic ocean appears to be warmer than usual.

This would probably increase the precipitation and increasing the chances of snow coming from the north.

sst_anom_new.gif

I'll repeat this chart and add in the sea ice chart, sea temperatures are still slightly above average so chances are that the ice expansion will be slower than average.
    icecover_current.png
    edit: replaced broken image

The IJIS site hasn't updated in a few weeks due to problems with the AMSR-E sensor that has essentially broken down.
    You can track the sea ice area here if you like
    seaice.recent.arctic.png

Big increases again this week, snow on the edge of Europe now and Scandinavia and eastern Europe look like getting a blast of cold at the end of the week

cursnowasiaeurope.gif

Massively up on last year

10THNOV2010-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

any correlation between snow cover pre winter and the winter itself. like the more or less snow cover in say september = mild/cold winter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »
    any correlation between snow cover pre winter and the winter itself. like the more or less snow cover in say september = mild/cold winter ?

Snow cover in eastern europe is good for us in an easterly setup as there is more cold to tap into once we get the easterly, So yes it helps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I think this is a gem of a link if your curious about snow cover.
    Looking at this time last year we see that snow cover is roughly 10 million sq.Km behind this year.
    Simply click on the numbers too to give the snow cover map at said time.
    Dates back to 1966 so have fun.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_area.php?ui_set=0

Week 45 2010

201045.png

Week 45 2011

201145.png

So much more cover further south to our east all because of the blocking high that has helped pour down the cold on its eastern side.

I remember M.T saying that blocking looked to be early this year and i believe he was right however we were simply on the wrong side of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Whistler Backcombe ski resort in Canada opened a week early this week. They have had a few major dumps with another 30cm expected by Wednesday. Alps are still pretty bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Week 45 2010

201045.png

Week 45 2011

201145.png

So much more cover further south to our east all because of the blocking high that has helped pour down the cold on its eastern side.

I remember M.T saying that blocking looked to be early this year and i believe he was right however we were simply on the wrong side of it.

That really is a significant difference from last year!
    The big question now is what (if any) impact this will have on conditions here later in the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

That really is a significant difference from last year!
    The big question now is what (if any) impact this will have on conditions here later in the season...

fact !!

but i presume having alot more of a cold airmass out east (and more futher south than last year) would be better for us if we get a decent easterly ???
    like would it increase chances of cold here ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

NIALL D wrote: »
    fact !!

but i presume having alot more of a cold airmass out east (and more futher south than last year) would be better for us if we get a decent easterly ???
    like would it increase chances of cold here ??

it would but the lack of scandi snow would mean we'd need a raging easterly for about a week before we got anything if one were to occur now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Second week of January, 1982! :)

198202.png

This is the anomaly chart which I assume shows the snow extent in comparison to the 60-90 average

20thnov2011anom.png

Much further south than usual but Scandinavia is still doing terribly which is probably of most relevance to us

No harm in posting this view either i suppose.

cryo_latest.jpg

And as Su has shown Jan 82 was a good un.
    I think it needs to fully buffer before it plays.

• Advertisement

Latest image from CT here

CT20-11-11.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement