Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20euro petrol= 100 miles?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Is it fuel injected or older carbs ? If carbs then you can get them balanced.
    If fuel injected then try buying a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in a car shop like Halfords. Makes a big difference if your injectors are dirty/clogged.

I cleaned the air filter last week and am now getting an extra 20% on a tank. Amazing how it was running so rich for lack of air. Extra power too.

Fuel filter changed? This is a regular service item on older Nissans that hardly anyone every changes.

Had that exact problem on a Nissan Micra. Good advice Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

I can get 170mls outta my Bora 150 TDI. Not bad i think.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

TheUsual wrote: »
    If fuel injected then try buying a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in a car shop like Halfords. Makes a big difference if your injectors are dirty/clogged.

I cleaned the air filter last week and am now getting an extra 20% on a tank. Amazing how it was running so rich for lack of air. Extra power too.

If your filter was clogged badly enough to cause such a difference then it is overdue a change by a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gsconnor

Gsconnor wrote: »
    No thats whats annoyin me :L thats why Im asking is there anythim that could be causin it to use up the fuel without actually burnimg the fuel, as in mixture to strong or somethin? :)

Well any faulty componant would throw up the engine warning light.

How often is it serviced? Fuel filter changed? This is a regular service item on older Nissans that hardly anyone every changes. How are your tyre pressures? Have you got a boot full of junk?

Other then those things, driving style and driving conditions can have a huge effect on economy, much more then people realise. The example I used above of my old skyline getting 400 miles to a tank, this was steady speed motorway/N road driving, however on the same car I could also use a whole tank in less then 30 miles on track.:eek:

Fuel filter would have never beem changed, everything else would be changed frequently amd tyre pressure would be fine, the fact that you could get 400 miles on a tank is saying theres something definitly wrong with mine, driving style would normally be gentle acceleration and changing gears as soon as possible and speed would normally be 60 mph then 80 mph sometimes and 100+ the odd time

• Advertisement

If your filter was clogged badly enough to cause such a difference then it is overdue a change by a huge amount.

Yeah it was full of oil and bugs.
    It's a motorbike so you don't replace them - just clean with petrol and clean oil, problem was it is has ram-air from two big holes at the front and so got a lot more clogged up than I was used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Sweeeet, thats some nice going out of 20 euro :)

Ya but there was no power in the car at all even being a 1.9 but hey i still got were i was going just as fast as you can only drive so fast.

Sweeeet, thats some nice going out of 20 euro :)

Ya but there was no power in the car at all even being a 1.9 but hey i still got were i was going just as fast as you can only drive so fast.

Exactly :D

I have used red ex a few times before, might give it another go

I can get 170mls outta my Bora 150 TDI. Not bad i think.... :)

Thats pretty decent :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Yeah it was full of oil and bugs.
    It's a motorbike so you don't replace them - just clean with petrol and clean oil, problem was it is has ram-air from two big holes at the front and so got a lot more clogged up than I was used to.

That explains that, oiled filters are a different thing altogether to the dry filters used in cars.

Fuel filter would have never beem changed, everything else would be changed frequently amd tyre pressure would be fine, the fact that you could get 400 miles on a tank is saying theres something definitly wrong with mine, driving style would normally be gentle acceleration and changing gears as soon as possible and speed would normally be 60 mph then 80 mph sometimes and 100+ the odd time

You've just diagnosed your own problem. On the vast majority of cars once you go over 60mph the fuel economy falls. If you already short shift and accelerate gently then try keeping a steady 60mph on longer drives and I'd say you'll notice a difference. 80-100mph will guzzle fuel on a 1.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

You've just diagnosed your own problem. On the vast majority of cars once you go over 60mph the fuel economy falls. If you already short shift and accelerate gently then try keeping a steady 60mph on longer drives and I'd say you'll notice a difference. 80-100mph will guzzle fuel on a 1.6.

He's right, running at anything over 2000 RPM wastes fuel. Keep an eye on your RPM when cruising. Around 55 mph should keep you under the magic 2000 RPM or close to it, and is usually the most fuel efficient cruise speed.

Also quick takeoffs from junctions and the lights etc., as temping as they are, really guzzle fuel like nobodies business. Cut out the quick take offs and you'll watch the MPG soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hiace. wrote: »
    He's right, running at anything over 2000 RPM wastes fuel.

I can't remember anytime in the last year, I was driving under 2000rpm.
    Keeping your engine revs too low, destroys the engine, and is not good for economy either.
    For most petrol engines, rev between 2000 - 3000 should be fine on flat surface. If you are climbing up the hill, you most likely need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

i get 90 miles for 20 euro in my 1 LITRE starlet?

anyone know what the story is? you havent read that wrong,45 miles for a tennor....1 litre car wtf?

You've just diagnosed your own problem. On the vast majority of cars once you go over 60mph the fuel economy falls. If you already short shift and accelerate gently then try keeping a steady 60mph on longer drives and I'd say you'll notice a difference. 80-100mph will guzzle fuel on a 1.6.[/Quote]

Yea thats true but it would normally be drove at 50-60 most of the time :)

He's right, running at anything over 2000 RPM wastes fuel. Keep an eye on your RPM when cruising. Around 55 mph should keep you under the magic 2000 RPM or close to it, and is usually the most fuel efficient cruise speed.

Also quick takeoffs from junctions and the lights etc., as temping as they are, really guzzle fuel like nobodies business. Cut out the quick take offs and you'll watch the MPG soar.

The temptation is horrible though :L but its gonna save me money so might aswell take it handy.

CiniO wrote: »
    I can't remember anytime in the last year, I was driving under 2000rpm.
    Keeping your engine revs too low, destroys the engine, and is not good for economy either.
    For most petrol engines, rev between 2000 - 3000 should be fine on flat surface. If you are climbing up the hill, you most likely need more.

You must be driving a honda 50 then mate, or a perhaps hairdryer. ;)
    No one said anything about rpm climbing hills, of course it will be higher.
    The engine/gearing combination on every car is different. Either way if your particular buzzbox isn't capable of cruising on the level at around 2000 rpm then keep it under 2300-2500.

The temptation is horrible though :L but its gonna save me money so might aswell take it handy.

You can still do the rally style driving when you feel like it, you just don't have to do it all the time.
    Hypermiling is a very challenging skill and art all of its own, and can be taken to all sorts of levels.
    Google it to you see.
    Without trying too hard, I've managed a 5 mpg improvement, saves me several hundred yo yo's a year.

You can still do the rally style driving when you feel like it, you just don't have to do it all the time.
    Hypermiling is a very challenging skill and art all of its own, and can be taken to all sorts of levels.
    Google it to you see.
    Without trying too hard, I've managed a 5 mpg improvement, saves me several hundred yo yo's a year.

Will do :)...5mpg is a nice improvement!!

Advertisement