Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20euro petrol= 100 miles?

Options
  • 03-09-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have a 1.6 petrol Nissan Primera and 20 euro petrol gets around 100 miles, just wondering if this is normal for a petrol car or bad, because it seems quite bad to me and it smells very rich at times, any advice? Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Gsconnor wrote: »
    I have a 1.6 petrol Nissan Primera and 20 euro petrol gets around 100 miles, just wondering if this is normal for a petrol car or bad, because it seems quite bad to me and it smells very rich at times, any advice? Thanks :)

20 euro at 1.5 per litre gives you 13.33 litres.

100 miles is 160 km.

So 13.33 / 1.6 = 8.33

That's the result: 8.33 l/100km.

Depends where and how are you driving, but seems very reasonable for primera 1.6.
    That car is way underpowered, and because of that uses more petrol if you want to drive normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

CiniO wrote: »

100 miles is 160 km.

So 13.33 / 1.6 = 8.33

Depends where and how are you driving, but seems very reasonable for primera 1.6.
    That car is way underpowered, and because of that uses more petrol if you want to drive normally.

I'm getting about 8.5l/100km in a 520i 6cyl. And i thought it was bad.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gsconnor

100 miles is 160 km.

So 13.33 / 1.6 = 8.33

It would be drove reasonably enough, not mad acceleration and would be drove between 80-120km the majority of the time, and I wouldnt say its underpowered as such, in fact is quite pokey for 115bhp?? :)

I'm getting about 8.5l/100km in a 520i 6cyl. And i thought it was bad.. :confused:

If you get that while travelling at 80km/h in little traffic on straight road with constant speed then that's bad.
    If you get it in the city in big traffic, that's really great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Im getting the same from my 1.6 2001 passat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

My Dad's Fabia 1.4 Diesel gets 75 - 80 miles to the gallon :cool: But he drives quite efficiently.

It would be drove reasonably enough, not mad acceleration and would be drove between 80-120km the majority of the time, and I wouldnt say its underpowered as such, in fact is quite pokey for 115bhp?? :)

Maybe higher speeds (120km/h) are the problem.
    Try keeping it up to 90km/h and see what's the result.

If it's a P12 primera (between 2002 and 2007) then your 1.6 is 109BHP.

I remember mine primera 1.8 was very economical at 70 - 80km/h (about 6 l/100km)
    But at 120km/h steady speed it was already burning about 8.5 l/100km.
    At 180km/h it was more like 12 or 13 l/100km.
    In city driving about 10 l/100km.

1.6 would probably take more at higher speeds, and during hard acceleration.

PS. Believe me it's way underpowered. I've driven few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

If you get that while travelling at 80km/h in little traffic on straight road with constant speed then that's bad.
    If you get it in the city in big traffic, that's really great.

It's the bad one so :mad:

Maybe higher speeds (120km/h) are the problem.
    Try keeping it up to 90km/h and see what's the result.

If it's a P12 primera (between 2002 and 2007) then your 1.6 is 109BHP.

I remember mine primera 1.8 was very economical at 70 - 80km/h (about 6 l/100km)
    But at 120km/h steady speed it was already burning about 8.5 l/100km.
    At 180km/h it was more like 12 or 13 l/100km.
    In city driving about 10 l/100km.

1.6 would probably take more at higher speeds, and during hard acceleration.

PS. Believe me it's way underpowered. I've driven few of them.

Yeah, it generally would be more 80kmh but sometimes when I go on the motorway itd be 120km but that would only be for a distance of 12km or so...and no its the P11- 144, the P12 is made by Renault, hence the underpowered part :L

Yeah, it generally would be more 80kmh but sometimes when I go on the motorway itd be 120km but that would only be for a distance of 12km or so...and no its the P11- 144, the P12 is made by Renault, hence the underpowered part :L

Then it's 99 BPH not 109. Car is lighter though than P12. But overall it's acceleration and fuel consumption are very similar.

PS. P12 is not made by Renault.

• Advertisement

Then it's 99 BPH not 109. Car is lighter though than P12. But overall it's acceleration and fuel consumption are very similar.

PS. P12 is not made by Renault.

It has a QG16DE engine which has 115bhp, whatever power it has it has had no problem smoking Civics Corollas Focus` even a lexus at a stage :L...It does 0-60 in 8.8 seconds....and from what Iv been told by many dealers and mechanics is that the P12 is made by Renault because the P11- 144 was the last made by Japan...Just what Iv heard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

It has a QG16DE engine which has 115bhp, whatever power it has it has had no problem smoking Civics Corollas Focus` even a lexus at a stage :L..

Just a guess but maybe thats where your losing your MPG. "smoking" cars aint good for the aul petrol consumption ;)

It has a QG16DE engine which has 115bhp, whatever power it has it has had no problem smoking Civics Corollas Focus` even a lexus at a stage :L...It does 0-60 in 8.8 seconds....and from what Iv been told by many dealers and mechanics is that the P12 is made by Renault because the P11- 144 was the last made by Japan...Just what Iv heard though.

You're right.
    Somehow I wasn't aware about that engine in P11.144.

Kevvv wrote: »
    Just a guess but maybe thats where your losing your MPG. "smoking" cars aint good for the aul petrol consumption ;)

True that :P

You're right.
    Somehow I wasn't aware about that engine in P11.144.

Ayeee, tis a good oul engine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I get about 60 miles from €20 city driving in an E38 735.

That said I can get to Galway and back on €60 at today's prices no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    That said I can get to Galway and back on €60 at today's prices no bother.

Really handy if you live real far from Galway. :D

Not so good if you live real close. :eek:

I assume that you still live in Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

P.C. wrote: »
    Really handy if you live real far from Galway. :D

Not so good if you live real close. :eek:

I assume that you still live in Sandyford.

Excellent observation skills dude! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

All the P11, P11-114 and P12 we get here are made by Nissan europe. The engines (GA16 AND QG16) are both Nissan engines. Because of the merger certain componants on both euro Nissans and Renaults come from the same suppliers, hence the shared window reg issues with renaults and Primera's.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

I had a 02 p12 1.6 pertrol primera for 4 years. Only changed it there a month ago because I sick of pumping petrol into it. was going thru a tank a week and it was costing me 85 euro fill it. I would get about 490 miles for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Temporary Dub

Id get roughly the same maybe another 10/15 miles for 20 e in a 1.4 golf.

I thought that was alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A 115 bhp engine in a primera doesnt do 60 mph in 8.8 seconds surely?
    To be honest, I feel you would 'smoke' very very few cars today with 115bhp in a large)ish saloon.

I had a 02 p12 1.6 pertrol primera for 4 years. Only changed it there a month ago because I sick of pumping petrol into it. was going thru a tank a week and it was costing me 85 euro fill it. I would get about 490 miles for that.

Yea 90euro petrol had got me about 440 miles there last week, it takes roughly the same to fill the tank on mine :/

mickdw wrote: »
    A 115 bhp engine in a primera doesnt do 60 mph in 8.8 seconds surely?
    To be honest, I feel you would 'smoke' very very few cars today with 115bhp in a large)ish saloon.

I havent done it in mine because Id rather not completly destroy the engine, I have seen it a few times though, as for the second part youd be surprised at how they drive for the power it has, it has a top speed of 129mph, which aint bad seeing as the 2 litre has 150bhp and a top of 137 mph

Id get roughly the same maybe another 10/15 miles for 20 e in a 1.4 golf.

I thought that was alright!

Its better than what im getting anyway :D even if its a smaller engine :L

Yea 90euro petrol had got me about 440 miles there last week, it takes roughly the same to fill the tank on mine :/

Are you lads driving around Mondello all day or something? I used to be able to get 400 miles from a 60L(same as a primera) tank in a 2.0L 6 cylinder turbo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I miss my old car i was geting 220 miles out of 20 euro it was a 1.9 SDI seat cordoba.

Are you lads driving around Mondello all day or something? I used to be able to get 400 miles from a 60L(same as a primera) tank in a 2.0L 6 cylinder turbo!!

No thats whats annoyin me :L thats why Im asking is there anythim that could be causin it to use up the fuel without actually burnimg the fuel, as in mixture to strong or somethin? :)

I miss my old car i was geting 220 miles out of 20 euro it was a 1.9 SDI seat cordoba.

Sweeeet, thats some nice going out of 20 euro :)

• Advertisement

No thats whats annoyin me :L thats why Im asking is there anythim that could be causin it to use up the fuel without actually burnimg the fuel, as in mixture to strong or somethin? :)

Well any faulty componant would throw up the engine warning light.

How often is it serviced? Fuel filter changed? This is a regular service item on older Nissans that hardly anyone every changes. How are your tyre pressures? Have you got a boot full of junk?

Other then those things, driving style and driving conditions can have a huge effect on economy, much more then people realise. The example I used above of my old skyline getting 400 miles to a tank, this was steady speed motorway/N road driving, however on the same car I could also use a whole tank in less then 30 miles on track.:eek:

Advertisement