Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Girl [Fox - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Is it me or is new girl not as funny as before? I find I am skipping scenes. The jess/nick relationship has ruined the dynamic of the group I think. I can't see cece and Schmidt not getting together again. Only catching up with the e4 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

doovdela wrote: »
    Is it me or is new girl not as funny as before? I find I am skipping scenes. The jess/nick relationship has ruined the dynamic of the group I think. I can't see cece and Schmidt not getting together again. Only catching up with the e4 version.
    yeah the breaking and getting back together ruins the dynamics a bit alright, i think when damon wayans rejoined the show he kinda upset the balance of the cast, 4 guys 2 girls, it was just kinda off, that and i just didnt take to his character, glad hes gone now, so maybe they can get the balance back, and just either have the couples together or dont, will they wont they can only last so long,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

doovdela wrote: »
    IDK what season E4 are showing, but Season 3 didn't have the strongest episodes, particularly standalone ones. Season 4 was amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh well yeah.. she's well known for her hilarious comedic roles! :rolleyes:
    There's a new girl in town on New Girl - and she's quite famous.

Megan Fox is joining the Fox sitcom for its fifth season next year while star Zooey Deschanel is on maternity leave following the birth of her first child last month.

The Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles actress will appear in the sixth episode onwards, scheduled to premiere in January.
    Didn't realise the fifth series wasn't back til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Basq wrote: »

yeah she was on 2 and half men years ago, just hung about in a bikini, cleaning windows if i recall, i really dont know why anyone would think of her or a comedy,

i didnt realise it wasnt back till then, balls, miss the lads:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

My gut reaction is that Fox is a terrible idea but one thing the people behind New Girl have been consistently great at is casting guest stars and cameos so I'll give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Should have got Jessica Biel back

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Or Alex Daddario

This is an awful idea. Could tank the show IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Jess is not in it this season. How dumb is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jess is not in it this season. How dumb is that?

She's not in the first 5 episodes because Zoey Deschanel was on maternity leave, but she'll be back for the rest of the season.

Ah, I thought it was the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ah, I thought it was the other way around.

Actually, it seems you were right, I had read it wrong. Deschanel has recorded 5 episodes and then will disappear (but I don't know for how long). That'll be strange actually, but I'm sure the three lads and CeCe can carry the show well enough while she's away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I always thought her character was pretty weak so I won't miss her too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I've read Deschanel will miss only four episodes of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not too bothered she was the weakest

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just caught up with the latest episode now..

.. this series has become unwatchable! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm still liking it. Winston being a cop and his interactions with the two partners he has had has been funny. Schmidt still has some brilliant lines and interactions too. I do miss Coach though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A bit harsh, no? Hard to keep amy series fresh after 5 seasons, particularly a 22 episode sitcom, but I think the standard has been OK. Jess has become a little surplus to requirements, but Winston has become the shows goofiest, most enjoyably daft character. And personally, I thought Coach never worked, glad he's gone

• Advertisement

They don't seem to be able to juggle all the characters at once. Winston is now finally a good character but Nick and Schmidt have gotten weaker. They either don't know how to use CeCe or she's just not a natural comedian.

They don't seem to be able to juggle all the characters at once. Winston is now finally a good character but Nick and Schmidt have gotten weaker. They either don't know how to use CeCe or she's just not a natural comedian.
    Interesting - I actually thought CeCe/Winston combo was some of the funnier stuff this season!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think CeCe works better ATM when paired up with anyone who isn't Schmidt; that particular combo has slipped into the standard set of sitcom wedding-planning tropes so there's little potential there. As said, her team-ups with Winston have been pretty great: then it's some 'classic CeCe-and-Winston mess around'! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

i'm still liking it. Winston being a cop and his interactions with the two partners he has had has been funny. Schmidt still has some brilliant lines and interactions too. I do miss Coach though.

Coach just turned up, impersonating a cop on Brooklyn 9-9, if Winston hears about this :D(on E4 tonite)

It's a bit hit & miss, not as much a laff riot as it used to be, i suppose after 5 seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Well myself and the OH have officially given up on the show. its jsut gone that awful it really is unwatchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

One of my major problems with sitcoms is when they take a character, in this case Schmidt, who was a great character in the first 2 seasons and they take one of the most funny elements of his character, the fact he's a single, kind of sleazy ladies man and then they put him in a relationship :confused: Same thing with Howard in the Big Bang Theory and I'm sure there are multiple other examples.

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I don't want character development in my sitcoms, I just want them to be funny first and foremost and these changes are taking away one of the elements that made these shows so funny in the first place.

irish son wrote: »
    One of my major problems with sitcoms is when they take a character, in this case Schmidt, who was a great character in the first 2 seasons and they take one of the most funny elements of his character, the fact he's a single, kind of sleazy ladies man and then they put him in a relationship :confused: Same thing with Howard in the Big Bang Theory and I'm sure there are multiple other examples.

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I don't want character development in my sitcoms, I just want them to be funny first and foremost and these changes are taking away one of the elements that made these shows so funny in the first place.

You can't not have some form of character developmnent if the humans within the script are even vaguely self aware or vulnerable, emotional beings. There are only so many you can hit a guy with a pie to the face before you have to make him start avoiding the pies. Otherwise it's just a cartoon.

You say you don't want development, but it's everywhere in some forms or another, and the shows that go the most stale and tedious are usually those that steadfast refuse to let its casts grow or change (step forward Modern Family for instance). Heck even the most sitcomy of sitcoms like Big Bang Theory has let it's characters develop. I think what you're objecting is that you just don't like this particular development.

Personally, I hate the sleazy types on sitcoms, and Schmidts appeal was more about his blatant hen pecking and high maintenance, coupled with his mothering of Nick. The CeCe plot has neutered him entirely and that kinda sucks, but I like how the show has otherwise gently nudged its characters forward towards some form of growth and emotional maturity.

Characters can develop without the dull predictability of loving relationships and emotional maturity.

On rhe orher hand, none of Seinfeld's characters ever really developed and the show didn't really go stale at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What channel is the new series on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Characters can develop without the dull predictability of loving relationships and emotional maturity.

On the other hand, none of Seinfeld's characters ever really developed and the show didn't really go stale at all.

I feared the worse when George was getting married to Susan, but that was dealt with in a funny way, still remembered to this day ;)
    Jerry always had something wrong with each woman he saw, like 'manhands' :D

Elaine's 'Spongeability', don't ask :D

Kramer - he'll always be The Assman :cool:
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What channel is the new series on?

RTE 2 - Thursday@9 - ep4 afaik

Advertisement