Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD OR UCC FOR MED?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

ortho yes neuro no.

most neuro is in big academic centres, not much private (group) practice, if there is the malpractice insurance is huuuuuuuuuuuuuggeeeee

ROAD residencies earn the most

radiology, ortho, anesthesia (mainly pain, anesthesia job market has become saturated lately), and dermatology, who ever said 300-350k for derm needs to negotiate better contracts lol, there are only a few hundered derm residents that graduate every year.

Obstetrics,Orthopaedics,Oto-Rhino-Laryngology-ENT, Opthalmology-Eyes and then jump to Surgery-esp plastics otherwise forget the P's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

drrkpd wrote: »
    Obstetrics,Orthopaedics,Oto-Rhino-Laryngology-ENT, Opthalmology-Eyes and then jump to Surgery-esp plastics otherwise forget the P's
    ehh the obgyn and plastics overheads (like malprac) are insane which pushes their net down. Ophto/ent are great earners though. but you can forget about anyone from ireland ever getting into an optho/ent or even plastics (integrated) residency unless they are pulling some serious strings.

ehh the obgyn and plastics overheads (like malprac) are insane which pushes their net down. Ophto/ent are great earners though. but you can forget about anyone from ireland ever getting into an optho/ent or even plastics (integrated) residency unless they are pulling some serious strings.

Apologies -I meant serious earnings as a consultant(attending) esp in Ireland. You were clearly just talking about residencies in USA so we are not comparing the same things!!

To get back on thread UCC or UCD where is medhead and what did he decide??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Lbgem wrote: »
    I wish I was paying this much :p, they charge the non-EU residents 49,200 euros or so for tuition alone. Lucky Irish :p.

Who charges that? UCD charges 31k for Undergrad med and 39 for GEP?

• Advertisement

NUIG 33k non-eu (31+2 student charge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lbgem

newbie! wrote: »
    Who charges that? UCD charges 31k for Undergrad med and 39 for GEP?

I can't speak to the undergrad med, but the GEP is 39,200 iirc. I can double check that number for you if you'd like, but I'm 90% sure that's what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

Lbgem wrote: »
    I can't speak to the undergrad med, but the GEP is 39,200 iirc. I can double check that number for you if you'd like, but I'm 90% sure that's what it is.

What's all the talk of people paying 100k to do GEM?

Do they mean it's 39k fees and they borrow 61k for living expenses?

jimdeans wrote: »

Fees quoted above are non-eu.
    GEM are 4 years fees approx 14k/yr plus 10k/yr living away from home so 4*24 is 96 K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lbgem

Er :p, keep in mind non-EU means we don't think in Euros like you do. So it's roughly 66K USD + 30K or so living expenses if we want to take out that much. I did end up taking out close to max this year just cause I didn't know how much everything would cost (what is up with cereal costing 5.49 Euros people). I am planning to take out less the upcoming years once I figure out what sort of living expenses/budget I can manage to get away with.

Btw the person that commented that Irish people speak 'pure normal like' and I'm the one with the accent. Totally feeling that now. Very nice country/people overall though I've only been here for a day. I'm still getting used to the elevators talking...

I can see why Americans have a loud/obnoxious reputation though...if the people I was standing in the exit line with at the airport were any indication...and they asked the guy if they could skip the non-EU line to go to the EU one. /facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

The figures here are quite confusing as there's a massive difference between EU and non-EU fees. Typically an Irish person will pay 15k/year for fees and then whatever for living expenses. Non-EU (for RCSI, anyway) is nearly 50k/year for 4 years in the GEP programme. So the total cost for 4 years, including living expenses, will be over ~100k for EU or ~250k for non-EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Does anyone know if I can use physics/chemistry for entry to UCC medicine it says chemistry is a specific requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

i think chemistry is needed for UCC as they don't offer a premed year to Irish applicants

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

anyone know if i can sit chemistry next year on its own to be able to do med in ucc or do i have to sit all my exams at one time for it to be counted. im doing the leaving now and am starting to think about med (bit late i know) i am thinking now of doing physio first see how i like it then if i dont go for med. does anyone know would 1st year physio cover me for LC chemistry if i decided to go down that route? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

anyone know if i can sit chemistry next year on its own to be able to do med in ucc or do i have to sit all my exams at one time for it to be counted. im doing the leaving now and am starting to think about med (bit late i know) i am thinking now of doing physio first see how i like it then if i dont go for med. does anyone know would 1st year physio cover me for LC chemistry if i decided to go down that route? thanks

no you have to sit all requirements in same year bar hpat, email universitys about pyhsio but i doubt it you could do grad entry

Advertisement