Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal...hasn't really gone anywhere in 20 years.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tbh the only new music i buy is from old artists. The last new band(non-'supergroup') i got into was Machine Head many years ago. I've a mate who constantly bombards me with youtube links to new bands but i just doesn't cut it for me. I'm quite narrow minded when it comes to music and i like what i like. Many new rock & metal bands have come and gone but none have left any sort of lasting impression.

The music business has changed. No longer will bands with glimmers of talent be allowed find their way and grow naturally. It's all about a quick buck and cashing in as quickly as possible.Partly explains the move by labels to picking up one hit wonders from youtube and reality tv shows. Auto tune them to the hilt,market the bejaysus out of them and throw on the trash heap when finished. The days of A&R men trawling the clubs for new bands are gone unfortunately.

Hate to say it but i can see a slow decline in the metal scene over the next 10-20 years. As the Maidens/Metallica's and Megadeths of this world hang up their guitars i don't see anyone to carry the torch of metal in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

To be fair they have headlined the RDS, which is considered a stadium venue

Indoors at the RDS though right? That's hardly the same thing but whatever. Point is that the time and circumstances in the music industry that would favor another AC/DC or Iron Maiden to come about are long gone - in the age of downloading and X Factor you'd need a miracle for that kind of thing to happen again IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

the past 20yr was somewhat Inevitable as most of the trailblazing was done in the first 20yr prior, maybe? there was still some pioneering to be done but mostly via updated technology. besides they would have had to strive harder to find a distinctly different angle. like Korn the only 'nu-metal' group I'd tolerate to a degree, they did pander to the hip hop adidas thing I could see would become the fabric of today's degenerative society but were the only ones to give it a decent slant; give it some credence. look at the only 20yr rave and hip hop has been in existance in which they somehow only devolved further and melded to give wings to the bizarre capitalist driven morally bereft computer assembled playground hip-pop most kids like today. also the boyband thing stemmed from townie urges; boyzone and the like were ravers. I like being a dying breed amongst these folk, instant sense of superiority and manliness and though they provoke a lot of rage and loathing in me they are born into it now - so sometimes I feel sympathy

but wherever metal is going, whatever new generations insist on claiming to have coined a new sub genre or progression when it's clearly been done before - when the only refreshing output is somehow from revivalists - at least it won't die out. despite hip pop having "changed the world" and having read that it has become bigger than general rock in it's lifespan / entirety instrument wielding folk will always be their enemy but they should feel intimidated by the hardcore bangers as it were in my day. so keep up the fight. and keep it dark/metal. also applies to physical torture but this culture will never die in the face of such adversity. that's the main thing; keep actual music via instrumentation alive - with a bee in yer bonnet and a dark twist preferably... one might argue metal has seen only degression as opposed to progression in recent times but in the face of said adversity never let up with the aggression - that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

jpm4 wrote: »
    Indoors at the RDS though right?.
    Honestly? I forget it was 6 years ago :o but now you say it was probably inside, but they are the closest thing to a modern stadium metal band

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

I'd say Metal is very much alive. It's just that it's divided into lots of minor genres and not so much the general metal giants as the Big 4, Maiden, Priest etc anymore.

I mean, folk metal, my favorite genre, is very much alive with Eluveitie, Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Finntroll and many others - same goes for the more gothic style of Nigthwish and Sirenia..

• Advertisement
Advertisement