Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider or have you a tattoo

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

royaler83 wrote: »
    [/B]

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It doesn't matter whether it is significant to you or not, anytime I see one I think it looks trashy, same with face/body piercings, ye obviously have an issue with yer bodies and use these 'art forms' to change yourselves

I really dont know where to start with the idiocy of this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Melion wrote: »
    I really dont know where to start with the idiocy of this post.

The title of the thread allows me to argue my point

So you wouldnt get one and dont have one.
    That doesnt resolve the ridiculous statement you made about people not being happy with their bodies. I know id be distraught if i had to walk around with this body all day.

david-beckham-tattoo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

its fair to say everyones point of view when it comes to tattoos is welcome on these treads.
    but the problom is most of the time people with tattoos are classed as
    (1)thugs
    (2)scumbags
    (3)travellers
    (4)rough people

and as a man with tattoos its very hard for me and others to be called these names.
    now im a big boy its water off a ducks back to me,but its hurtfull.
    and when people say we need a good wash,man thats just been down right disrespectable.

i give u me as a person.my two arms are done two sleeves.
    my neck is done.and wait for it yes my head is shaved:D.
    now i dont drink and i also dont smoke and never ever do drugs.
    im a care giver for special needs children.in life u can say im quite boreing but im am a person that is liked for who i am not what people see on the outside ink wise.
    so what im trying to say is 95% of tattooed people are very decent ,go to a tattoo convention and see the vast aray of people there all different walks of life.

its fair to say everyones point of view when it comes to tattoos is welcome on these treads.
    but the problom is most of the time people with tattoos are classed as
    (1)thugs
    (2)scumbags
    (3)travellers
    (4)rough people

and as a man with tattoos its very hard for me and others to be called these names.
    now im a big boy its water off a ducks back to me,but its hurtfull.
    and when people say we need a good wash,man thats just been down right disrespectable.

i give u me as a person.my two arms are done two sleeves.
    my neck is done.and wait for it yes my head is shaved:D.
    now i dont drink and i also dont smoke and never ever do drugs.
    im a care giver for special needs children.in life u can say im quite boreing but im am a person that is liked for who i am not what people see on the outside ink wise.
    so what im trying to say is 95% of tattooed people are very decent ,go to a tattoo convention and see the vast aray of people there all different walks of life.

audience.gif

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    So you wouldnt get one and dont have one.
    That doesnt resolve the ridiculous statement you made about people not being happy with their bodies. I know id be distraught if i had to walk around with this body all day.

david-beckham-tattoo.jpg

Just because he has a six pack and is a hit with the ladies doesn't mean those tattoo's are nice. And also if he was happy with his look he wouldn't have gotten those tattoo's done in the 1st place would he?!

If Beckham painted his finger nails he would get slated yet he covers his body with ridiculous drawings and it's 'art'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just because he has a six pack and is a hit with the ladies doesn't mean those tattoo's are nice. And also if he was happy with his look he wouldn't have gotten those tattoo's done in the 1st place would he?!

If Beckham painted his finger nails he would get slated yet he covers his body with ridiculous drawings and it's 'art'

Officially calling troll.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Officially calling troll.

Def not trolling, check my history, just my opinion. Just can't understand why anyone would get one, which is the title of the thread. Will leave you's at it so

Def not trolling, check my history, just my opinion. Just can't understand why anyone would get one, which is the title of the thread. Will leave you's at it so

Why do you look at photos? Art? There is no difference between you hanging a painting on a wall at home and me wearing art on my arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ok,you have ignored my earlier friendly advice so read this carefully.

There is a certain level of posting expected here.

Just because you think the above or any tattoos look ridiculous doesnt make it so,its your opinion so kindly stop stating your opinions as fact.

Your dime store psychoanalysis of why Beckham and by default anyone that gets tattooed also isnt welcome here.

Id advise you to read our charter before posting any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mudderagod

Woah, things getting a bit heated here, I love tattoos and have wanted one for about ten years now but can't decide on what to get, I originally wanted a celtic cross of some sort but they are so common now, I dont fancy picking one from those books in the tattoo parlours because they're not one offs either. Maybe Im too fussy, Im thinking of trying to design my own and have it redone out properly afterwards by someone who can actually draw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,247 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Once I've reached my weightloss target, I'm going to get a tattoo which will hopefully help remind me of what I achieved and not to go ruining it on myself by letting myself get that bad again. Other than that, bar any big emotional events in my life I'd want to symbolise (names of kids etc), I can't see myself getting any old random tattoo for the hell of it. I know I'd just end up regretting it or "I wish I'd done that one a little different" etc.

A dog is for life, not just for Christmas. But a dog is only for their life and don't live as long. Tattoos are pretty much f*cking permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Barrington wrote: »
    Once I've reached my weightloss target, I'm going to get a tattoo which will hopefully help remind me of what I achieved and not to go ruining it on myself by letting myself get that bad again. Other than that, bar any big emotional events in my life I'd want to symbolise (names of kids etc), I can't see myself getting any old random tattoo for the hell of it. I know I'd just end up regretting it or "I wish I'd done that one a little different" etc.

A dog is for life, not just for Christmas. But a dog is only for their life and don't live as long. Tattoos are pretty much f*cking permanent

What about a tattoo on a dog!! I think we're on to something here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Barrington wrote: »
    But a dog is only for their life and don't live as long. Tattoos are pretty much f*cking permanent

Tattooed_cat_PicBalkanpixcom_Image_2_697317931.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm female and no I wouldn't consider it unless it were a very small tattoo and was hidden from view or somewhere less noticeable like my back or ankle. I am not too keen on tattoos a small amount or one is ok but there is a line like that is a bit off putting if a guy has too many tattoos not very attractive in my opinion, one or two is fine but any more no.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I have considered it but haven't really found something that i would like to have.

I would have to agree with what an earlier poster said about some sort of emotional attachment to one, i doubt i'd get one unless it provided some resonance for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Liberal Irishman

I have a few points of advice coming from both personal experience and common sense (in my opinion):

• Check out a number of designs in a number of shops then go home and decide.

• Don’t get any that would be visible when going for a job interview. Not all people are tolerant and indeed there are a lot who will pigeonhole you straight away.

• Don’t let the tattoo artist rush you. Insist that he first draws a rough outline (at least) first, and don’t be afraid to insist on going home to think about it first. Good luck, Hope you end up with something that you are happy with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a tattoo on the outside of my lower right leg, half way between my knee and ankle.

It is a celtic trinity.
    I had originally planned to add to it, creating a larger, unique, celtic design on my leg. But I never got back to it.

Do I regret it, no.
    I joke with my wife that if I am ever found decapitated in a ditch, it'll help her identify me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Any decent tattoo parlour/artist will have a good conversation with you about your tattoo and what you're looking for before you go under the needle. They'll try and personalise your tattoo at least a bit even if you're getting a flash piece done that you've just chosen from The Bumper Book of Tattoos or something.

Likewise, most wouldn't give you a tattoo on your face, neck or hands due to the problems associated with finding employment. Especially for a first tattoo. The internet is your friend! You can find so many good artists, styles, designs and ideas that you've no excuse for getting a really lame, boring tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm not sure that I will ever get a tattoo but I admit that when people say how bad tattoos will look when one is older they are overstating it a bit.

My grandad, who is 84, has three tattoos - an anchor, a old style ship with sails and swallows which say (or said!) mum and dad. They are now blurry navy splodges. However, as he got them in the army while in Hong Kong in the 1950s I find them terribly romantic and still love seeing them!

He doesn't regret them, they remind him of being young and travelling the world. Tempted to get his swallows myself but probably too much of a wuss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Sums up the tattoo'd/non tattoo'd arguement pretty well

tumblr_lt8bqmTKWI1qg8mkho1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No, not keen on them myself, but no issue with others having them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Absolutely love them. I have 4, getting my 5th next week hopefully though it's taken me weeks to decide, that story about the two dudes who picked designs on the fly in a few minutes is baffling. I'm not one to believe that a tattoo has to mean something to its owner, but at the very least I think believe should invest several days thought into what they're getting.

I don't regret any of mine exactly, though one or two things I might do differently again. But that's the same with anything in the world, in a lot of cases - we all think of little changes we'd make or do differently after the event.

I get a lot of negative comments on my tattoos, like any other tattooed individual, occasionally for them simply being what they are, tattoos. But mostly because of what they are, people just think they're dumb.

I love tattooed girls though. It makes me weak at the knees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I have 2 Metallica tattoos. One of my upper right arm and one on my left shoulder blade.

I got them done for personal reasons in 2003 and I love them still. They represent an era of my life that I don't want to forget.

I am planning on my next 2 tattoos at the moment. Both of them are going to be Rammstein related :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Absolutely love them. I have 4, getting my 5th next week hopefully though it's taken me weeks to decide, that story about the two dudes who picked designs on the fly in a few minutes is baffling. I'm not one to believe that a tattoo has to mean something to its owner, but at the very least I think believe should invest several days thought into what they're getting.

I don't regret any of mine exactly, though one or two things I might do differently again. But that's the same with anything in the world, in a lot of cases - we all think of little changes we'd make or do differently after the event.

I get a lot of negative comments on my tattoos, like any other tattooed individual, occasionally for them simply being what they are, tattoos. But mostly because of what they are, people just think they're dumb.

I love tattooed girls though. It makes me weak at the knees :)

I only have the one and I've gotten nothing but compliments on it since I got it. My mum was initially a bit bemused but even she thinks it's nice now. Can't wait to get more! Just a matter of getting the money together and spending a month or two thinking over a design. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 i need this

would a tattoo on your arm look bad if you had hair on your arm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

would a tattoo on your arm look bad if you had hair on your arm?

Overall it depends on the design and the size you'd be inclined to go for.

I'd doubt hair would be a problem, but that would vary based on weither or not it's thick, or if it's dark / fair.

The Tattoo & Peircing forum may be able to advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pilph

I have a tattoo, always keep it hidden, not because I'm ashamed of it, but because it's personal.

They make no difference to the person, you are still the same person with or without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Always said i would only get a tattoo if it meant something to me,so basically a few years back i died am diabetic and didn't know so got a tattoo done of a phoenix and the date i died,not bothered what people think its for me and me only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Must say i personally love tattoos I have three myself and already am planning a scripted tattoo going down my ribcage I dont just want a script tattoo though im tying to think of a design or something that will tie in with the script for it all to blend into one.

Also personally I find tattoos on women very sexy to the point if a woman has one its always an added bonus for me.

But like others have said each to there own, there something you either you hate or you love. One thing that does grate me though is how people with no tattoos do like to make little comments now and then its not harming you, i love it so why bother:confused:

Advertisement