Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tacumshin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Hi Conor , there is another Thread about Tacumshin with a lot of info on it already but if you need any more you can PM me.
    Regards Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kinderbeano

oh gr8,ill have a look.thanks tom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tacumshin is a fantastic spot and I'm looking forwards to my own outing there later this month. Its also heavily watched by twitchers pretty much every day of the week so you can often bump into people that will point you to any of the rareties that might happen to be around on a particular day:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Cardynal wrote: »
    Hi Conor , there is another Thread about Tacumshin with a lot of info on it already but if you need any more you can PM me.
    Regards Tom.
    I've merged the 2 threads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

sounds like the place to be. I Googled it but couldnt find it. Where is it?

Mark
    Google Tacumshane and you'll get more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

+1 oldyouth..

Also try Google Maps - type in Tacumshin, Ireland and a map will pop up. You can get step by step directions from your home on Google maps website, ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Directions to Tacumshin:

From Wexford, head towards Rosslare Harbour on the N25. As you enter Tagoat village, take the first right-hand turn (R736). Follow this road for 2Km. At the T-junction turn right and immediately left. Follow this road for another 2-2.5Kms. At the four-way junction, turn right. After 2Km, you come to another 4-way junction (main road continues left), turn right. Follow this narrow road for another 2Km (two 90 Degree bends) and you will see a castle on your left. Take a left turn, and after another sharp S-bend, take a left.

This will take you to the East End car park. Straight on will take you to the Forgotten Corner, another good vantage point. Follow both roads to the end. At the East End car park walk along the well worn trail across a stream and towards the dunes.

The Patches (best for waders) are here - just folow the southern shore of the lake and cross the mudflats.

Note: Wellies are a must, while waders would be ideal (especially later in winter). Take care not to disturb feeding waders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

V_Moth wrote: »
    From Wexford, head towards Rosslare Harbour on the N25. As you enter Tagoat village, take the first right-hand turn (R736). Follow this road for 2Km. At the T-junction turn right and immediately left. Follow this road for another 2-2.5Kms. At the four-way junction, turn right. After 2Km, you come to another 4-way junction (main road continues left), turn right. Follow this narrow road for another 2Km (two 90 Degree bends) and you will see a castle on your left. Take a left turn, and after another sharp S-bend, take a left.

eezy peezy! :p

V_Moth wrote: »
    Directions to Tacumshin:

This will take you to the East End car park. Straight on will take you to the Forgotten Corner, another good vantage point. Follow both roads to the end. At the East End car park walk along the well worn trail across a stream and towards the dunes.

The Patches (best for waders) are here - just folow the southern shore of the lake and cross the mudflats.

Note: Wellies are a must, while waders would be ideal (especially later in winter). Take care not to disturb feeding waders.

Waders are a must at the moment if you want to cross the lake , changes day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kinderbeano

any spots particularly good for hen harriers?..reed bed in the evening maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

any spots particularly good for hen harriers?..reed bed in the evening maybe?

I don't think its appropriate on a public forum giving the exact location of raptor roosts given ongoing issues with illegal persecution in this country. In any case they can be seen most days almost anywhere in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I don't think its appropriate on a public forum giving the exact location of raptor roosts given ongoing issues with illegal persecution in this country. In any case they can be seen most days almost anywhere in the area.
    x2
    The area is heavily hunted by shooters. Most of the shooters there seem reasonable, but all it takes is one undesirable to shoot these rare birds.

Northern Harrier sighted today , wonder if it's the same bird as last year.

Not the same bird as last year , 2nd cy male
    Last years bird was a Juvenile female.

Advertisement