Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tacumshin

Options
  • 30-08-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Lads , if any of ye have the oppurtunity to visit Tacumshin in the next few weeks ye should try and get down , the place is on fire at the moment with rarites.
    Last two weeks alone amongst others

Bearded Reedling
    Monty's Harrier
    Marsh and Hen Harriers
    White-rumped Sandpipers
    Bairds Sandpipers
    Semipalmated Sandpipers
    Wood and Green Sandpipers
    Spotted Redshank
    Buff-breasted Sandpipers
    Hobby
    Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
    and to top it all off this morning a juvenile Pallid Harrier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seen one Sandpiper seen them all but a Bearded Tit - I'd nearly get myself down there. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToMAOcj8usgFimxkbEH_PM_GOdJev3LVPy2BPjclT_eek9qM54fA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

has there been any news about the bitterns that were there earlier this year? have they been seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

has there been any news about the bitterns that were there earlier this year? have they been seen?

Last sightings were the 1st week in march , so i guess they did'nt hang around , mabye next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

sounds like the place to be. I Googled it but couldnt find it. Where is it?

Mark

Hi Mark ,
    Tacumshin is roughly mid-way between Carnsore point and Kilmore Quay in Wexford , there are a couple of access points to it but the main one to the east end is off the N25 Wexford to Rosslare road.
    Take the turn-off for Killinick and follow the signs for Tacumshin.
    The lake itself is quite tricky to get to as you have to follow a number of minor roads to get to it but i'm sure if you ask anyone around there they'll point you in the right direction , or if by any chance you have Eric Dempsey's book (Finding birds in Ireland) , there are excellent directions in there to all points.
    Regards Tom.

• Advertisement

Thanks Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Cardynal wrote: »
    Lads , if any of ye have the oppurtunity to visit Tacumshin in the next few weeks ye should try and get down , the place is on fire at the moment with rarites.
    Last two weeks alone amongst others

Bearded Reedling
    Monty's Harrier
    Marsh and Hen Harriers
    White-rumped Sandpipers
    Bairds Sandpipers
    Semipalmated Sandpipers
    Wood and Green Sandpipers
    Spotted Redshank
    Buff-breasted Sandpipers
    Hobby
    Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
    and to top it all off this morning a juvenile Pallid Harrier.

What do you reckon the chances are of seeing the hobby or any of the harriers with just a few hours down there?

cfitz wrote: »
    What do you reckon the chances are of seeing the hobby or any of the harriers with just a few hours down there?

Hobbies are a bit hit and miss , have had two birds this year , both in may.
    Excellent chance of seeing female marsh and hen harriers though , lots of sightings lately.

Bearded Tits calling at Lingstown this morning , also Pallid Harrier resighted yesterday evening.

Just heard a friend of mine is heading down tomorrow to look for the birds

• Advertisement

Just heard a friend of mine is heading down tomorrow to look for the birds

Today
    Marsh Harrier x 1
    Hen Harrier x 4
    Buzzard x 5
    Peregrine x 2
    Merlin x 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Cardynal wrote: »
    Today
    Marsh Harrier x 1
    Hen Harrier x 4
    Buzzard x 5
    Peregrine x 2
    Merlin x 1.

how big exactly is the lake? from the sounds of it, it would seem quite large.
    is it completely overgrown and wild or what kind of access would one get to it?

trebor28 wrote: »
    how big exactly is the lake? from the sounds of it, it would seem quite large.
    is it completely overgrown and wild or what kind of access would one get to it?

The Main Lake itself is quite large , more of a coastal lagoon than a lake ,it's about 3 kilometers all around.
    At the moment there is very good access , you can (with wellies) walk right around it , different story in winter though when the levels can rise quite rapidly.
    The habitat of Tacumshin itself consists mainly of reedbed and there are a number of different access points.
    The East End Holds the main body of the lake and is quite easily accessed.
    The Forgotten corner is at the opposite end of the lake.
    The Lingstown end ( Large Reedbed ) can be reached from the village of Tomhaggard.
    The White hole can also be reached from here.
    Another area is the Patches , a flat saltmarsh area on the west side of the lake , can be reached with a long walk from the East End (excellent for Yankee waders in Sept ).
    Hope this helps , regards Tom.

Today
    Bearded tits ( 3 juveniles ) at Lingstown.
    American Golden Plover.
    Citrine Wagtail x 2.

Where have the bearded tits come from? Are they breeding in the south? That's one bird that would make me drive down from Antrim

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

I was down there yesterday myself and got excellent views of the Pallid Harrier. It flew straight at myself and two other guys and banked away literally 10ft away. What a stunning bird.

Mark the bearded Tits/Reedlings have been there since last year although I've been down there 3 times for a view and not a peep. I missed the Citrine's yesterday so I might go down again next week for another try. Ger.

Where have the bearded tits come from? Are they breeding in the south? That's one bird that would make me drive down from Antrim

Mark

Hi Mark ,
    The Bearded Tits arrived in November last year and overwintered (Last sighing end of January).
    Resighted this year again 1st week in July and intermittent sightings since , 2 juveniles showing well early yesterday morning , don't think their breeding here though , hopefully some day.
    Regards Tom.

Thanks Tom

Juvenile Monty's on the scene today.

Female Marsh and Hen Harrier at Tac , also Juvenile Pallid still around , showing early at Lingstown this morning.

• Advertisement

Flock of 20 Bearded Tits at Lingstown this morning , mostly Males and Juveniles , up to 9 Buff-Breasted Sandpipers on the scene now.
    Pallid Harrier still around also.

Bearded tits must be nesting down there? Are they there every autumn?

Seem to be now Mark allright , great to see , only saw them myself for the first time last November.

Harrier Heaven here this morning guys , Juvenile Pallid , 6 Hen and 2 Marsh all showing well at Lingstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 java30

Im wondering, what are all those harriers down there in Tacumshin eating?

I was there once and its quite a small area really, I thought.

java30 wrote: »
    Im wondering, what are all those harriers down there in Tacumshin eating?

I was there once and its quite a small area really, I thought.

You must have only taken in a small part of it , Tacumshin is a massive area comprising of the East end (Main lake) , Forgotton corner , Lingstown (Large Reed Bed ) , White Hole , and the Patches.
    It would take 2 days to fully explore all of it.
    The Harriers diet is Varied , Hens will take small birds and rodents.
    And the Marsh has a wide range , including Frogs , Mammals , and a wide variety of birds , will also take eggs , nestlings and carrion.

The Juvenile Pallid Harrier is still giving great views most days if anyone has a chance to get down.
    Regards Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

I saw the Sharp-tailed sandpiper earlier in the month. A magic bird to see. I saw it on the "patches" in Tacumshin. It took me 7 hours over two visits to find the bird. It's quite similar in plumage to Dunlins, so all the Dunlins had to be checked on the site to find the bird. There were hundreds of Dunlins there so it wasn't easy. I had checked almost all the Dunlins on the "patches" when a Kestrel flew over. The Dunlins were spooked and when they finally landed they were all mixed up. It was back to square one, checking every single Dunlin again. I finally found it and got mega views. The birdwatching highlight of the year for me:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kinderbeano

Planing my first visit to Tacumshin lake in wexford soon for a bit of birding.Iv never been though and im just wondering if anyone could give me sum advise on the best spots ie. best vantage points etc.I know how to get to Tacumshin and im shure ill find the lake ok but as for places to watch from i wouldnt know where to start
    Thanks very much,
    Conor.

Advertisement