Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That was excruciating to watch, cant believe they brought in a love interest for Abed and a cheap celebrity cameo, the writers that are left haven't a clue what made the show what it was and are just reverting to the old tropes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

People are looking for things to criticise now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

miralize wrote: »

So in your opinion, is what's now being offered as Community the same as the Community that we all loved this time last year?

So in your opinion, is what's now being offered as Community the same as the Community that we all loved this time last year?

Same characters, same quirkiness, 1 person difference in the creative force and writing of the show. Yes its a big person thats missing, and people on here (myself included) made a big deal of him leaving, and so we were skeptical.

That skepticism was solidified by a poor couple episodes at the start of this season. Every season of any show can have a poor few episodes, it was just unfortunate that it came at the start of the show, when fans would be more critical. But I do think that its improved greatly since then because, in my opinion, it has been better. Maybe not reaching the heights of past seasons, but realistically, how many comedies have the longevity? This is still 100x the show of HIMYM or TBBT.

Nobody is denying that it has picked up since the start but that isn't saying a whole lot. Each episode is only ok at best. The quirkiness that used to be so natural to this show just seems forced now and there is a spark missing that I just can't see coming back unfortunately.

As for the HIMYM and TBBT comment, I gave up on HIMYM earlier this season because I actually found one episode offensively unfunny but this season of TBBT and Community wouldn't be far apart in terms of quality so I cant understand how you can say it's 100 times better.

And anyway, you should measure against the best, not the worst. Community used to be the best in my opinion but now New Girl is and that would be closer to 100 times better.

• Advertisement

Nobody is denying that it has picked up since the start but that isn't saying a whole lot. Each episode is only ok at best. The quirkiness that used to be so natural to this show just seems forced now and there is a spark missing that I just can't see coming back unfortunately.

As for the HIMYM and TBBT comment, I gave up on HIMYM earlier this season because I actually found one episode offensively unfunny but this season of TBBT and Community wouldn't be far apart in terms of quality so I cant understand how you can say it's 100 times better.

And anyway, you should measure against the best, not the worst. Community used to be the best in my opinion but now New Girl is and that would be closer to 100 times better.

TBBT rely on jokes made in the first season, catchphrases & mannerisms that are just worn out. A female sheldon & a girl with a squeaky voice really gave progression??

Community, even in this season, are doing much better than that. Yes, the "Dean-" stuff is a bit OTT, but it's never to the degree of TBBT, which in my opinion, is just drivel.

I dont see the forced comedy that you've mentioned. Again I think its just a perception thing that many people have of thinking "The show has apparently lost its spark, so I shall judge every episode I now see on that".

New Girl is definitely the best network comedy on, & I'd agree that right now Community is below it, but not by that much.

Again I think its just a perception thing that many people have of thinking "The show has apparently lost its spark, so I shall judge every episode I now see on that".

I'll not get into the TBBT debate as I've already said you should compare to what you perceive as the best and not the worst.

The part I have quoted annoys me though. I can assure you that to me 'Dan Harmon' was just a name that popped up on screen every week. I'm very much an "end user" when it comes to sitcoms. I don't care who is writing/directing/producing it as long as it makes me laugh when I'm watching it, something Community is failing to do more often than not this season where as up until last season, it did so consistently.

Maybe some people are just blinded by their love for Community that they can't bring themselves to admit how far it has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I definitely think there has been a drop in quality, and I don't laugh as much as I did before, but I still enjoy it so I'll continue watching it.
    People are too harsh on it in this thread, as I said, its definitely dropped in quality but I do still think its one of the best sitcoms on tv.

On another note, I started watching Parks and Rec last week, and I love it. I find myself actually laughing out loud a lot more than I do when I watch Community, but I don't think it has as good characters or is as cleverly written.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you choose to enjoy the show in its declining years, that's fine it's your choice & nobody's stopping you, but equally you can't dismiss those who feel the show is a pale shadow of its former self, or glibly remark that their criticisms are somehow out of spite or jumping on a perceived bandwagon about Dan Harmon.

Harmon's departure is one small factor in the shows downward spiral, not the sole contributing one. What disappoints the most in all this is the fact that Community was so great in series 1 & 2, easily one of the best comedies on television, and all criticism is born out of that frustration and sense of lost quality. It's not enough for some of us to blindly keep watching and insist all is hunky-dory; I'd rather the show end on a high note than limp on like a latterday Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I went into this season really thinking all the behind-the-scenes stuff was overblown and wasn't going to make that much of a difference, but at this stage the only hope for the show would be the dramatic revelation at the end that in fact this whole season had been some kind of meta-meta thing where the characters were actually playing some kind of alternative universe versions of themselves, cos that's the way the show feels to me right now.

I hadn't realised how disappointed I am with the show until I saw the "6 seasons and a movie confirmed" post on Monday and was actually relieved when I realised it was an April fool. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Discorobot

I think the last episode of community aired (4x08) was excellent. It showed progressiveness for the show in the Jeff/Britta storyline, and the Abed and Rachel one was adorable.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd say if the rest of the season is anything like the most recent episode, it's a good sign.

I don't quite understand the real, genuine hate for this season though. I mean....why not just not watch it? I don't understand why people would continue to watch something they don't like anymore, seemingly just to critique it.

I don't know...
    tumblr_inline_mj49qgCl2U1qz4rgp.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Discorobot wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the real, genuine hate for this season though. I mean....why not just not watch it? I don't understand why people would continue to watch something they don't like anymore, seemingly just to critique it.

This point I already addressed; the criticisms are made because the show had been so good in the past; many of us are holding this latest series up to those high standards. This is completely reasonable and the forum would be a very dull place if its all posts on TV shows were fawning compliments, even in the face of an obvious decline. The hardest thing to do is to criticise something you love, and it hurts all the more when you know how good a show used to be.

I stopped watching the show last week, and only hang around here in case I see a general consensus that the show is back to something resembling its series 2 heights.

As for continuing to watch something one hates - well how is any right-thinking adult supposed to form a considered opinion on something without first watching it? Chicken and egg scenario there. And given how US shows - particularly sitcoms - can be slow to get going it's only fair any series is given a sensible number of episodes to prove itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ I thought you were all one big happy Community :confused:

:(

Discorobot wrote: »
    I think the last episode of community aired (4x08) was excellent. It showed progressiveness for the show in the Jeff/Britta storyline, and the Abed and Rachel one was adorable.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd say if the rest of the season is anything like the most recent episode, it's a good sign.

I don't know...
    tumblr_inline_mj49qgCl2U1qz4rgp.gif

Who said anything about hate?

I found this episode to be quite good, better than most before, but found the whole bit where the band played rather awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I loved it, but once again, I enjoy most episodes so it's probably of no use for me to post this!

I really like how Pierce has been a nice guy in the last two episodes - his character was so ill-used in season 3 that it's nice to see. It's interesting how that since Dan Harmon has left that Pierce has gotten more decently written stories etc; one might start to wonder whether the ruination of the character had anything to do with their feud...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it just me or does Troy/Britta not work at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Seren_ wrote: »
    It's interesting how that since Dan Harmon has left that Pierce has gotten more decently written stories etc; one might start to wonder whether the ruination of the character had anything to do with their feud...
    Are you conveniently forgetting the racist hand puppets and his odd argument about being Hitler?

This episode did nothing for me, imo lampshading a trope does not give you an excuse to use it, especially in as lazy a manner as they did. Abed's girlfriend is cute though.

I had no idea who Sophie B Hawkins was either so I spent a large part of the episode not understanding why everyone thought a non-existent person was going to show up. I mean you don't expect Sadie Hawkins to show up at her dance :confused:

All the characters are so uneven this season too, its as if the writers had no discussion about character development throughout the season and just randomly progress and regress them as needed.
    Chang doing his fake amnesia bit gets less funny every time (and it wasn't funny to begin with) and I still think Troy and Britta are a terrible couple.

I've enjoyed the last couple before this. They were good. Not great, and certainly not Community. Community's gone.

This one was like a mediocre 90s sitcom that only got one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

^ I thought you were all one big happy Community :confused:

:(

You don't even go here!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it just me or does Troy/Britta not work at all?
    I thought they'd just given up on it and hoped the viewers would forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

phasers wrote: »
    All the characters are so uneven this season too, its as if the writers had no discussion about character development throughout the season and just randomly progress and regress them as needed.

That's one of my biggest problems with this season, it's not even consistent across episodes. It's like they're throwing different things out there to see what sticks, but there's no overall character development plan.

It basically feels like season one of a completely new show, where it's trying to find its feet. The first few episodes of season one were a bit similar, most comedies are.

But you can't get away with that in the fourth season of a show that's only survived so far because of a cult following. You might pick up a few Happy Endings fans, but you're going to alienate your core viewing base.

And its been confirmed that Brie Larson (coat check girl) won't be in any more episodes this season... thats BS.
    Regardless of whether you liked the plot or not, its stupid for them to build it up so much in one episode, finish on a "cliffhanger-ish" ending, and then not tie that plot up.

And its been confirmed that Brie Larson (coat check girl) won't be in any more episodes this season... thats BS.
    Regardless of whether you liked the plot or not, its stupid for them to build it up so much in one episode, finish on a "cliffhanger-ish" ending, and then not tie that plot up.

I take back everything positive of what I said about this show... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Cousin Skeeter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

That was by far the worst episode of the season imo. I didn't laugh once.

I thought there were some funny lines, I liked the Professor Duncan shoutout, but I wasn't loving the whole puppet thing tbh.

I'm finally up to date on Parks and Rec, and I have it say its a much more consistently funny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I loved that

About halfway through and the problem I'm having is their cutting back to real life way too often. It's like they're trying to imitate the wonderful claymation episode, but failing a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

phasers wrote: »
    Are you conveniently forgetting the racist hand puppets and his odd argument about being Hitler?

It wasn't conviniently forgetting, I actually did totally forget about that :o

Know I'm going to be in the complete minority of posters on here (as always re: season 4), but I liked the puppet episode. The secrets were a bit crap though, apart from Jeff and Shirley's. And Pierce's Eartha Kitt revelation obviously.

• Advertisement

The first hot air ballooning song, is very catchy, I've been humming it all day..

Advertisement