Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda reserve. One year since I left.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bluetop wrote: »
    The only reason Reserve garda are not allowed out on their own is because it has not been handed down to them by the Commissioner, nothing to do with anything else, a garda is not there and i stress this yet again to give you orders, no matter what the rank structure shows, they are the same rank, they are accompanying you that is all, its still the Sgt that gives the orders, you feck something up and lets see who will get the red face, wont be the full-timer thats for sure. Also take a look at the rank structure on this link might give you a better idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na

From your very link though:
    With reduced training, these duties and powers must be operated under the supervision of regular members of the Force, and are also limited from those of regular members.

Supervision...Supervisor? Looks to me like they have a say in what you do as a reserve. Though to be honest, I'm not sure why it matters who gives the orders? At the end of the day, it's a huge privilege to assist the full time members, they have hugely more training over the reserves, & if I'm honest, deserve to be in control while out & about.

Any reserve who goes in gung-ho & viewing themselves as an equal to a full time member has the wrong end of the stick. Reserves are there to assist in whatever way is needed, with initiative of course. It's all about learning, you can't learn if you know it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

student garda is under the reserves as well in the structure, so does that mean reserves are there superior
    Yes because students are civilians and have no Garda powers whatsover.

full-time members cannot reprimand a reserve, or student garda, the only persons you have to answer to is your Sgt, Sig, Super, Commissioner, in that order, same as full-time garda has to.
    As already stated, Sergeants cannot reprimand anyone. They do not possess the authority to discipline a member of Garda rank. They can only caution you informally. Even if you disobey a direct order from your Sergeant it is still the Super that will block you. By your logic and again as I have already stated, that means your Sergeant is not your superior because all he can do is supervise you as we do with reserves.

Might be the rank structure you also forgot student garda is under the reserves as well in the structure,
    Thats the end of the debate, its what the rank structure as stated in the code that determines who is higher or lower and its very very clear.

Am I the only person here who realises that 'senior man' is actually stated in the code as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Eru wrote: »

As already stated, Sergeants cannot reprimand anyone. They do not possess the authority to discipline a member of Garda rank. They can only caution you informally. Even if you disobey a direct order from your Sergeant it is still the Super that will block you. By your logic and again as I have already stated, that means your Sergeant is not your superior because all he can do is supervise you as we do with reserves.

I don't know anything about the gardai or the reserves, but surely if somebody can informally caution you in work, then they're your superior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

no matter what the rank structure shows, they are the same rank,

The rank structure on Garda website shows rank structure in descending order with Garda above Reserve Garda,yet you disregard it.
    Also,how can a Reserve(volunteer) be the same rank as a full timer in AGS or in any organisation how can volunteer be same rank as a full timer?just doesn't make sense.

I don't know anything about the gardai or the reserves, but surely if somebody can informally caution you in work, then they're your superior?

Thats exactly my point.
    u s e wrote: »
    The rank structure on Garda website shows rank structure in descending order with Garda above Reserve Garda,yet you disregard it.
    Also,how can a Reserve(volunteer) be the same rank as a full timer in AGS or in any organisation how can volunteer be same rank as a full timer?just doesn't make sense.

Of course it doesnt. In AGS we have whats known as 'senior man' which is supposed to mean whoever has the most service takes charge of an investigation, scene etc until a superior takes over. Its a lot less formal and relaxed in practice but it still exists. So if reserves hold the same rank then they could be senior men at a scene which is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Thats exactly my point.

Do you not regard an informal caution as a reprimand?

My thinking would be that if it's laid out in writing that a sergeant can give an informal caution to a garda, then that's a reprimand. That is a statement of superiority in the rankings. Someone has written down that a sargeant can discipline another rank, albeit informally. That's a very clear delineation between the ranks.

If it's not laid out that a normal garda can do the same to a reservist, then there seems no official hierarchy (in terms of who can caution who) so it doesn't look like you're comparing like with like.

For the record, i assume the reservists are below the full timers in the hierarchy. I'm just not sure this idea about informal cautions makes much sense or helps clarify the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

While reserves are an extra pair of hands they are of the same rank, the difference being the full time member has full powers, while the reserve ( part time) has limited powers that is the only difference, reserve garda have full powers as well "BUT" they are held in trust for them by the Commissioner to give out as he sees fit, so tomorrow the Commissioner could go ok today we will give Reserves this, this, and this, what the full-timer says goes only because he is the senior man, same as another garda who is senior will call the shots over them.

I think if you look back at post 21 i already said what the senior man says goes, for both the Reserve and the full-timer.

So if the Sgt is not your superior when you are on parade and he tells you to do something you dont have to do it ? , i would love to see you or any other full-time member not do what your Sgt says, see where that would get you.

. Of course it doesnt. In AGS we have whats known as 'senior man' which is supposed to mean whoever has the most service takes charge of an investigation, scene etc until a superior takes over. Its a lot less formal and relaxed in practice but it still exists. So if reserves hold the same rank then they could be senior men at a scene which is nonsense.

So if for argument say the Commissioner in his wisdom was to give full powers to a Reserve member tomorrow, and allowed to patrol on their own would they not be equal then.

Its only because of the powers they are not equal that is all if reserves where given extra powers tomorrow im sure they would do an excellent job of it after some extra cpd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMRW

So if for argument say the Commissioner in his wisdom was to give full powers to a Reserve member tomorrow, and allowed to patrol on their own would they not be equal then.

Its only because of the powers they are not equal that is all if reserves where given extra powers tomorrow im sure they would do an excellent job of it after some extra cpd.

Powers, powers and more powers, this is what we need. In my opinion, reserves claiming that are way off the reality. Bluetop, I am a proactive reserve few years now, but never boasted about it, never cried that I need more powers or so. With more power, comes greater responsibility. Sure, you will say some reserves are ready to take that, but you don't need the Commissioners signature to get more responsibility.

Take some reports over the counter and try to investigate yourself, take all statements, prepare file and wait for directions. So what if you haven't got powers to prosecute, it can be done on your behalf. Same goes with those who failed to produce after your legal demand at traffic stop. Another example is Sec 4 Criminal Law. You can easily lift someone for theft, do some of paper work and take part in prosecution.

Now there are upsides and downsides to that. Upside is that you will satisfy your demand for power and responsibility, but that is about it.

Downsides are, in order to do the proper garda job (prepare files, maybe conduct interviews, take statements, going to court) you need more than 208 annual hours (or even double that, it's still not enough time). You are not being paid for that and spending a day in court may cost you days wages, and all you can claim back is a bus fare. How can, lets say, injured party contact and find a reserve in relation to the investigation he/she is leading, if he/she comes to work once a week?

Reserve will never be able to do regulars job properly for simple reason, reserves are to assist regulars, not to take initiative in their own hands. Though it happens and it has happend to me on numerous occasions, but 95% of the time its up to the regular to call the shots. It's their primary job after all.

Bottom line is if someone wants more powers, they are in the wrong job, because there will be none in the near future. My advise to unhappy reserves is to try working with another unit or in the worst case scenario fill Form D19 and move on to another station, and to remember, that there are two pair of eyes to see, two pair of ears to listen, and one mouth to keep it shut, then you will do well in any job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 titanium_x

It's crazy to say that reserves hold the same rank as a Gardai.

1. All rank structures show reserves as below Garda.
    2. Reserves are not meant to be Gardai. They are there to help/assist full time members.

Q: Does sec39 of the Gardai Siochan Act 2005 allow for a reserve to be answerable to a higher rank i.e. Garda.

39.— (1) A member of the Garda Síochána shall, when directed to do so by a member of a higher rank, account for any act done or omission made by the member while on duty.

• Advertisement

I just cannot understand whats the fecking difference? Rank below, rank above, same rank. Does it affect your pay? Does it affect your career prospects? Will it help you to get a promotion?

DMRW wrote: »
    I just cannot understand whats the fecking difference? Rank below, rank above, same rank. Does it affect your pay? Does it affect your career prospects? Will it help you to get a promotion?

Because it's important to know your place.
    Your rank defines your level of responsibility, what powers you have, influence etc.
    Yes rank does effect pay. Yes rank does affect career prospects. Higher ranks earn more money. Being of higher ranks improves careers prospects better viability and you get the credit for your subordinates work also!, along with having more transferable skills to move to say private sector employment etc....

Every job has a rank structure, just different titles so store manage, i.e Sgt, or regional manager might equate to say Super etc

Rank strucutre is important because specific orders have to flow through a rank of leadership. For example, it is not up to the front line to decide where the entire country's strategy is going to be. Where to focus resources etc. That is the desicion of a leader, who passes orders down.

But we can talk semantics all day. I think (just my own opinion) that Reserves should know there place. Then over time they will get more responsibility within there unit. But if you expect to go in as an equal with only a couple of hours trains albeit focused on a narrower range of topics, then you're going to be disappointed.

Some Reserves focus on rank as they are hoping for a kind of back door into full time employment. That's not going to happen I think because current SI regulations defining entry requirements don't allow for it, and Reserves is such a new concept that I'd say no one of a high rank has ever worked with a reserve, i.e. beat work or responding to a call etc and hence are a bit detached from the effort that lots of reserves do put in, and hence no credit will be given for it.

titanium_x wrote: »
    Because it's important to know your place.

I'll tell you what I've learnt from my own experience, no one will be able to tell you your place as a reserve within the guards.

Every station and every unit is being managed differently. Some skippers and cigs will be in operational uniform out and about going dirty job themselves, and in contrast, some skippers won't be seen at all and ordinary members would be managing a unit. Everyone is busy doing their job, or everyone is busy doing absolutely feck all. It happens in evey job and at the end of the day being a guard is simply a job in public service.

Again, nobody will tell you where is your place, it is up to you and you only to figure it out. Mostly its due to the poor management, as GR project was extremely ambitious in the beginning (idea of gradually giving more powers to the certain proactive reserves, for eg. driving official vehicles is kinda hilarious at this climate), but now it is going nowhere, due to the lack of coordination and other political factors.

Nobody told where is my place when I started. Like a complete eejit I was standing in the station with full gear for 8 hours, because nobody told me what to do. Eventually I started asking questions, which involved procedures, legal background (I've spend lots of time studying Acts and Sections on my own time), local knowledge etc. and now I know a lot. "A lot" means that became competent and I would be able to do a full timer job easy. It might sound like an overstatement, but I know what I am capable of. Nevertheless, when it comes to serious issues out and about or in the house I tend to leave it to the regulars and assist them should there is need for that.

If someone wants to know their place, remember that in the real life not everything is done by the book, use your own head, intuition, and discretion solving problems and navigating yourself in this large grey area. After all, if you are failing to cope with a simple task of being reserve, what are the chances that you will be a good guard?

@DMRW I agree with you completely.

When I say know your place I mean accept that you know less and be willing to ask for advice etc just like you recommend, or or give them assistants when required.

I don't mean sit in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Some Reserves focus on rank as they are hoping for a kind of back door into full time employment. That's not going to happen I think because current SI regulations defining entry requirements don't allow for it, and Reserves is such a new concept that I'd say no one of a high rank has ever worked with a reserve, i.e. beat work or responding to a call etc and hence are a bit detached from the effort that lots of reserves do put in, and hence no credit will be given for it.

With respect the regulations specifically allow that Reserves may be given special recognition with regard to application for the regular.

See also PQ on the matter.
    Ciarán Lynch (Cork South Central, Labour)
    Question 197: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he has considered giving priority to applicants who are members of the Garda Reserve in any future recruitment drives; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1745/12]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    Recruitment to An Garda Síochána is governed by Statutory Regulations, namely the Garda Síochána (Admission and Appointments) Regulations 1988/2005. These regulations incorporate the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulations 2006 which allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

(emphasis added)

DMRW wrote: »
    Powers, powers and more powers, this is what we need. In my opinion, reserves claiming that are way off the reality. Bluetop, I am a proactive reserve few years now, but never boasted about it, never cried that I need more powers or so. With more power, comes greater responsibility. Sure, you will say some reserves are ready to take that, but you don't need the Commissioners signature to get more responsibility.

Take some reports over the counter and try to investigate yourself, take all statements, prepare file and wait for directions. So what if you haven't got powers to prosecute, it can be done on your behalf. Same goes with those who failed to produce after your legal demand at traffic stop. Another example is Sec 4 Criminal Law. You can easily lift someone for theft, do some of paper work and take part in prosecution.

Now there are upsides and downsides to that. Upside is that you will satisfy your demand for power and responsibility, but that is about it.

Downsides are, in order to do the proper garda job (prepare files, maybe conduct interviews, take statements, going to court) you need more than 208 annual hours (or even double that, it's still not enough time). You are not being paid for that and spending a day in court may cost you days wages, and all you can claim back is a bus fare. How can, lets say, injured party contact and find a reserve in relation to the investigation he/she is leading, if he/she comes to work once a week?

Reserve will never be able to do regulars job properly for simple reason, reserves are to assist regulars, not to take initiative in their own hands. Though it happens and it has happend to me on numerous occasions, but 95% of the time its up to the regular to call the shots. It's their primary job after all.

Broadly I agree with you. Its not so much powers are an issue as to some extent failure to facilitate usage. I think what you have stated re taking reports etc shows how in your area its facilitated. In others Reserves are assumed to have zero ability or right to do anything other than direct traffic and are therefore prevented from doing anything - by managment or by their regular colleagues who believe their job is to merely babysit the reserve.

Reserves across the country are having different experiences - its easy for some of us to judge and just say do "XYZ" when it may be impossible in the station for the other - due to Management or due to the regular members they are on with.

I also feel that you stating it will "satisfy a demand for power and responsibility" is inaccurate. Other upsides are that It will allow Regular members to be freed up to focus on investigations or issues that require and would benefit from their experience and availability, rather than them having to chase statements and CCTV for the €10 bottle of vodka that was stolen from Spar. It will also give reserves who join the regular the ability to hit the ground running once they start, and will leave current reserves much more in a position to help out during busy periods.

Re the downsides - Specials in the UK are able to manage far greater responsibilities on similar hours. The only advantage they may have is they are often stationed closer to home. Many reserves already do far more than 208, and an even greater number did when they started and cut back once they realised how little they were being utilised.

Its abundantly clear in my area that the regular members do not see their role as directing / managing reserves, and that that is strictly a management role, except in so far as where a reserves actions may negatively affect them, their safety or the safety of the public. In other areas regular members have been reprimanded for directing reserves, and in yet others reserves are fully under the supervision/direction of the regular members they are with.
    Bottom line is if someone wants more powers, they are in the wrong job, because there will be none in the near future. My advise to unhappy reserves is to try working with another unit or in the worst case scenario fill Form D19 and move on to another station, and to remember...

There will be more powers coming per the Recommendations of the Garda Inspectorate. Its mentioned elsewhere on the site but the inspectorate recommended a report on the Reserve. That report was completed and "All recommendations were approved with the exception of one regarding Pulse Access" (phrased slightly different). This information is available publicly online on the Inspectorates website but I dont fancy trawling for it now.

As regards the rank being included on the Garda website - its not long ago that it wasnt on the website at all.

TylerIE wrote: »
    With respect the regulations specifically allow that Reserves may be given special recognition with regard to application for the regular.

See also PQ on the matter.

True, but that is at interview stage, you first need to pass the public service aptitude test, then be ranked high enough to be called for interview. Also only civilians can be appointed to be full time Gardai.

Ref:http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-09-22.1200.0&s=%22reserve+garda%22#g1204.0.r

True, but that is at interview stage, you first need to pass the public service aptitude test, then be ranked high enough to be called for interview. Also only civilians can be appointed to be full time Gardai.

Ref:http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-09-22.1200.0&s=%22reserve+garda%22#g1204.0.r

Id interpret it differently, but even at that it still suggests that Reserves *can* be given preferential treatment. It hasnt happened so far but legally they can be.

As for Civilians - It just states they have to resign as reserves before starting training - which makes sense - as the roles are different Reserves they have Certain Responsibilities and Powers, which they wouldnt have as students and could therefore potentially create some conflicht. So I dont see your point?

Nope, it would require the removal of our suervision of reserves completely. As it is, thats part of the system.

Dont attempt to muddy the water, I never said reserves were incapable. Powers does not equal ability and not a person aside from you have suggested they do.

As for first aid and bluetop, you seem to be confused between myself and other posters. I believe that a sergeant is a superior because his rank is ABOVE yours in the code and they supervise you. Thats the exact same as fulltime Gardai having a rank ABOVE reserve and supervising them. Its the other posters claiming this means nothing in terms of rank. My point was that if a Sergeant is deemed a superior then the same rules must stand to a fulltimer and a reserve.

You also asked about informal caution, its not an official reprimend as it does not go on your record. Only a rank of Super or above can formally reprimend a Garda. Thats the rules, no point on moaning at me or chuckling away about it after making a msart arse remark. I didnt invent the Garda code.

Patrolling on their own would not need supervision, that is the whole point i was making, who said anything about powers making the person equal, no two people are the same they all do things different, but extra cpd can help with all that, we are learning all the time life is a learning curve, same goes for full time and reserves alike, nobody knows it all.!

I also say have a look at where and when reserves can do independent patrol, they are not with a full time member, they also have public order powers, dont ask where is this if you dont know i suggest you go and look it up.

• Advertisement

Reserves don't currently have public order powers.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000568

Reserves don't currently have public order powers.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000568

There is a provision for reserves to have PO powers, not under that link you put up, you could always ask your skipper when do reserves have this, they should know as it was part of a cpd course, maybe you did not get it.

There is provision for Reserves to have all Garda powers they are held in trust.

Just to clarify are you saying that Reserves have PO powers.

i.e. sec 4,5,6,8, 24.

There is a provision for reserves to have PO powers, not under that link you put up, you could always ask your skipper when do reserves have this, they should know as it was part of a cpd course, maybe you did not get it.

Very very few reserves get CPD - pretty much only in two regions is it in existence, and only one particular division was told of this full PO powers issue.

And like a lot of things to do with reserves it appears to be an interpretation of the guidelines that in other areas management dont seem to share. To be honest it demonstrates the difference in reserve management across the country - the majority in management dont have clue exactly where the line stops with can and cant do.

Some GRs, particularly those who are in areas where they are well looked after, dont realise the primative state of affairs for others. There are districts in the country who have yet to see their first reserve.

Advertisement