Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign to get RTE and the Guardian to Report Ron Paul's Success

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

deckybarr wrote: »
    RTE replied to my complaint. Here was their reply:

"Dear Declan,
    Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our programmes.

Your comments about Congressman Ron Paul will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your comments to Morning Ireland and to our News Editorial team for attention.

Thank you for taking the time to make your views known.

With every good wish,

Máire Nic Fhinn
    RTÉ Information"

P.F.O. I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

IRE60 wrote: »
    P.F.O. I believe

Obviously!

Tha prk Richard Clownes did a piece for Prime Time, he completely ignored Ron Paul...In fact the whole piece was a joke... He named Michelle Bachman, Rick Perry, and Cain as Front Runner, with Romney leading...Then went on about the Tea Party, made them look nuts lol, may be they are lol, but nothing mentioned about ppl tired of wars,,not allowed on RTE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deckybarr

I've already complained to both RTE and the BAI about that prime time show. The BAI have said that RTE has 21 days to reply. Only then can I complain to them. I need to know what night and at what time the show was at. The also asked for specifics as to why I was complaining. I wrote in the email that Ron Paul had won 7 of the past straw polls and that Bachmann was currently close to last. If anybody has anything else please post here or PM me.

Please also complain to RTE and the BAI.

I don't agree with everything that Ron Paul says and I hate the Tea party I just agree with him on ending the Fed and the central bank system, ending foreign wars, tackling corruption and eliminating income tax.

I found the clip on RTE player

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1117/media-3115684.html

I'm not going to wait for RTE to get back to me. I am going to state to the BAI that I complained about RTE news back in October and that they said that my complaint would be taken into consideration but that I feel it hasn't.

Dear Cillian & Maire,

I am deeply disturbed that you are paying Richard Downes with tax payer money during a recession for his news reports.

I saw his piece on Prime Time about the Republican Party in America. Currentyl they have a election process to nominate a leader to compete against Barak Obama.

He has completely ignored Ron Paul. This is my second complaint about this and how RTE ignore Ron Paul. I have read on various Irish Forums that this has been noticed by many others with an interest in politics.

The shocking thing about this policy in RTE to ignore Ron Paul is that everyone interested in US politics notices it. Here are titles of numerous boards.ie webages set up by ppl, some back in 2008 still going today.......Thats three years RTE have consistently ignored him, its quite obvious now.

Why do RTE ignore Ron Paul? - boards.ie

Campaign to get RTE and the Guardian to Report Ron Paul's Success boards.ie You could add the Irish times to this as they get the news from reuters...

Who is Ron Paul and why wont RTE tell us. - Page 21 this has 21 pages....

This next board was another shocker for me....Richard Downes goes to Washington DC boards.ie

Here on the 27/04/2010 a poster writes...
    As long as Downes has already heard of people like Ron Paul, than not a bad appointment!

I don't think the most recent guy in the role had a clue rolleyes.gif

I swear I did not write that in 2010. I just saw it last night when trying to find out Richard Downes background and why he reported so poorly...But the recurring theme here is not the reporter but RTE.

If you are unaware of Ron Paul and US Politics then this would not mean anything nor make a lot of sense.

Either Richard Clownes is playing golf over there working on his new book and getting his news reports from Reuters or he is walking around with his eyes and ears closed or RTE wont allow Ron Pauls message be spread...

I thought RTE had more substance to reporting on issues around the world than this.

Unfortunately RTE is not alone in ignoring Ron Paul, the mainstream media in America are too. However he has still performed better than any of the the other candidates like Michelle Bachman, who Clownes refered to as a front runner or potential winner. Even the major networks are ignoring her in America but RTE are calling her a potential winner.....

Someone should have a closer look at what Richard is doing over there or this policy to ignore Ron Paul.. Downes even went and met Tea Party Activists...Ron Paul is considered the Godfather of the Tea Party movement, how could you do a piece on them and the republican race and not mention Ron Paul once..............Insane..Paul has been termed the "intellectual godfather" of the Tea Party movement.

This means that the tea party get
    s most of its ideas from Ron Paul, his message is echoed by this movement.. Also the other candidates have copied Ron Pauls message, its pathetic.

Ron Paul is statistically tied in first place in most polls in Iowa, the first state to vote for republican nominee...

"Texas Congressman Ron Paul, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, shares 14 percent of the votes with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in the latest New Hampshire poll. With 14 percent of the votes each, Paul and Gingrich finished in second place."

If Ron Paul wins in Iowa, should RTE not ask Richard Downes why he has not mentioned him yet???? If he comes second in Iowa should he not be discussed.

If you want to know more about this then here is tons of articles on why ron paul is ignored by the media. I was just hoping we in Ireland had more unbiased reporting...

Ron Paul finishes second at Ames, gets ignored - why?

Looks Like Ron Paul Will Be Ignored Again in the Next Debate

Despite Ron Paul’s overwhelming success in Saturday’s Ames straw poll, finishing second to Michele Bachmann by less than two hundred votes, in an astounding video establishment media talking heads admit what we’ve been highlighting from the very start – that there is a deliberate policy to sideline, ignore and discredit Paul’s campaign.

Ron Paul gets the least news coverage of any GOP White House hopeful, according to a new Pew poll. .

This clip of Jon Stewart a comedian highlights the media and how they ignore ron paul..

Its worth watching as it is funny...http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fDC_0vBZ75Y#!

The crazy thing is Richard Downes is also ignoring him, what is that about, were not american...why cant we see whats going on, why withhold this ....

complaints@rte.ie, cillian.depaor@rte.ie

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Just to cut to the chase - Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican nominee, he's not going to be president, and even if he were, he wouldn't close the federal reserve down.

That's not to damn the man or his intentions, it's simply a reflection of the will of the electorate in the US. A fanatical niche support base does not a winning candidate make - and the media here, there, and everywhere know this to be the case.

I have to disagree, on the point about the 'fanatical niche support doesnt make a winning candidate'..I think that 'a fanatical niche support base' is exactly what you need to when you dont have the media supporting your campaign and could be what helps him win..especially in Iowa for the first votes. If the media were supporting him like others I really believe he would be the republican nominee and the next president of the US. I am being really honest there, i really believe that if his message was spread through the media with honest reporting he would wipe obama out...They do not care for obama over there anymore. On another point I believe the majority of americans cant see the woods from the trees, they dont get that obama was handed a bankrupt country by bush and the republicans, and they want to vote for another republican...makes no sense either..

The reason Ron Paul is being ignored by media in the states is best explained by Professor of Finance Murray Sabrin...

He would close the federal reserve, its not that hard to do, it can be done...But if I was a shareholder in the Fed I would do what I could to prevent its closure..Ron Paul's legacy will be the education of hundreds of millions of sheep...

Whats worrying for us is the ECB, where is that going, and its unaccountable to anyone..

"The European currency union is based, and this was a precondition for the creation of the union, on a central bank that has sole responsibility for monetary policy. This is its mandate. It is pursuing this. And we all need to be very careful about criticizing the European Central Bank," Merkel said in a speech to parliament. BERLIN | Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:54am EST

Here is the second email that I sent to the BAI:

"Dear Jean,

I have complained to RTE about the prime time episode. I also
    complained about RTE news and morning Ireland over 2 months ago. As
    prime time is a part of RTE news I would say that they have not taken
    my first complaint into consideration.

The date of broadcast for the prime time episode was 17th november
    2011. Here is a link to the RTE player for that episode :

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1117/media-3115684.html

The problem that I have was that the three republican mentioned were
    in this order were : Mitt Romney, Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain.
    Bachmann is currently close to last in both opinion polls and straw
    polls. Why was she even mentioned? Ron Paul has placed first in 7 of
    the last 10 republican straw polls. In the opinion polls he places
    higher than Bachmann on 8 of the last 10 and drew on the other 2. Newt
    Gingrich came first in 7 of the last 10 opinion polls but also wasn't
    mentioned.

Kind regards,

Declan Barr"

This was there reply"
    Dear Mr. Barr,

With regard to the news and Morning Ireland broadcasts which you complained about, if you don't receive a response within the 21 day time period, or if you do receive a response but are not happy with it, then you have 14 days to contact us and request that we pursue this complaint on your behalf. If you do not contact us within the time limit then the complaint is deemed invalid. Therefore it seems that the complaints regarding the news and Morning Ireland must now be deemed invalid.

In relation to the Prime Time episode, can you please forward me a copy of your complaint to them? I also need to confirm the date you submitted your complaint to them as we cannot process your complaint unless you either, receive a response that you are not happy with, or else if you do not receive a response within 21 days of the date your submitted your complaint.

Please provide the required information within five working days.

Yours sincerely,

Jean Crampton
    Clerical Officer
    Broadcasting Authority of Ireland - Údarás Craolacháin na hÉireann
    2-5 Warrington Place, Dublin 2, Ireland"

Basically I had two weeks after I complained to RTE about the morning Ireland bit to complain to the BAI. I won't make the same mistake this time.

Write to Richard Downes in Washington..Ask him why he filters out Ron Paul

washington@rte.ie

The BAI have said that they can't do anything with my complaint as it is up to the editors who they cover and who they don't. I have tried to appeal to them but I don't think they will listen. I think we need to think outside of the box if we want to educate people to Ron Paul's message.

Here is a great clip:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74047520

Here is a great clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUZIVYuluc

RTE is at it again. At least they actually mentioned his name this time.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1216/media-3143182.html

and here is the link proving downes is full of ****e

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...IA_1218925.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭outandabout

Who is Ron Paul? Not joking here but only realised he was running for the nomination when I read this thread. Gingrich and Romney are on my radar but Paul has eluded me.

As I'm not voting in the US election, I'm not too bothered about RTE's coverage or non-coverage of RP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Who is Ron Paul? Not joking here but only realised he was running for the nomination when I read this thread. Gingrich and Romney are on my radar but Paul has eluded me.

This thread is already political enough. Any chance, you could ask that in the political forum?

As I'm not voting in the US election, I'm not too bothered about RTE's coverage or non-coverage of RP.

You're not bothered that RTE is lying about who is the front runner in the republican race? Downes said on morning Ireland that Ron Paul's campaign was all but over when in fact it is Gingrich's campaign that is all but over!

If RTE report about Ron Paul and what he stands for it might educate the Irish people as to why we had a recession and why we'll have more (and probably have even worse!).

For those that don't know, Benoit Mandelbrot was one of the greatest mathematicians of the last century. He studied financial markets in the 60's but his theories are still being ignored even today. Markets and governments are still ignoring the fact that a major catastrophe is likely and therefore is not preparing for it. We have wasted so much trying to get back to a boom not realizing that we are ****ed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

deckybarr wrote: »
    The BAI have said that they can't do anything with my complaint as it is up to the editors who they cover and who they don't. I have tried to appeal to them but I don't think they will listen. I think we need to think outside of the box if we want to educate people to Ron Paul's message.

Here is a great clip:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74047520

Yes, RTE's position has been vindicated and rightly too. Why on earth would they give coverage to a straw poll of young republicans? Stop wasting your time and everybody elses time. I guess that you would be happy until RTE broadcast your version of reality. If you want Republican coverage 24/7 take out a subscription to Fox News. Have you written to them about their bias?

It's odd you talk about recession when we know where the root cause of the current worldwide problems are. What does Ron Paul stand for? Will he reverse the financial instruments that were brought in during the 80's in the Reagan era?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ron Paul fans have obviously been bombarding Newstalk with complaints about the alleged lack of coverage he has been receiving. That's according to Jonathan Healy on the lunchtime show today. He was talking to the excellent Kevin Cullen of the Boston Globe at the time, who's is not a fan of Paul to say the least and compared elements of his supporters to the Lyndon La Rouche crowd! I'm saying nothing...

BrianD wrote: »
    Yes, RTE's position has been vindicated and rightly too. Why on earth would they give coverage to a straw poll of young republicans? Stop wasting your time and everybody elses time. I guess that you would be happy until RTE broadcast your version of reality.
    They gave coverage to Michele Bachmann even though she only won one straw poll back in august.

http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20110815,3025911,3025911,flash,257
    If you want Republican coverage 24/7 take out a subscription to Fox News. Have you written to them about their bias?

They are biased you idiot! They haven't covered Ron Pauls success either. Ron Paul is hated in republican circles. I am not a republican.

I don't agree with everything that Ron Paul says. I'm an atheist and don't agree with his religious views or his views on deregulating big business. However, the fact that he would abolish income tax ( of which 30% goes to funding the IRS), ending the Fed, ending foreign wars and the war on drugs, is reason enough for me to support him.
    It's odd you talk about recession when we know where the root cause of the current worldwide problems are. What does Ron Paul stand for? Will he reverse the financial instruments that were brought in during the 80's in the Reagan era?

It wasn't the Reagan era that did the damage. It was Nixon era in the 70's. The war in Vietnam (like the war in Afganistan and Iraq) bankrupted the US. As a result Nixon had to default on the dollar. Moving from a Gold Standard to a fiat currency is what led to the boom and bust economies. You are right though. I don't think that Ron Paul goes far enough but then again will Obama? Will Gingrich or Romney?

It doesn't matter though if you agree with Paul or not. RTE aren't mentioning him or his policies.

The pieces they did this month on Morning Ireland and RTE news were covering the results of the Iowa State Caucus. Here are links to the last 10 opinion polls for that state:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2011/InsiderAdv_Iowa_1229.pdf
    http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2012/primary/rep/ia/
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_IA_1227925.pdf
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/12/28/topstate3.pdf
    http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres2012/primary/rep/ia/
    http://weaskamerica.com/2011/12/21/down-the-newt-chute/
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/iowa/2012_iowa_republican_caucus
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2011/InsiderAdvantage_IA_1218.pdf
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_IA_1218925.pdf
    http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Vote-2012-Ron-Paul-Takes-Lead-in-KCRGGazette-Poll-135977303.html

He places first in 7 of those, second in 2 and third in 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Don't worry decky.

If he's assassinated, I'm sure RTE will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Yes, RTE's position has been vindicated and rightly too. Why on earth would they give coverage to a straw poll of young republicans? Stop wasting your time and everybody elses time. I guess that you would be happy until RTE broadcast your version of reality. If you want Republican coverage 24/7 take out a subscription to Fox News. Have you written to them about their bias?

You do realise that FOX and Murdoch are not very fond of RP, either? This issue about coverage of the man, is more a pro-establishment against anti-establishment thing, than a Dem/Rep thing - which only simpletons believe in.

RTE have been a disgrace on this, especially given that they are kept going by the taxpayer. Don't care if a private station like FOX wants to be dyed-in-the wool for whoever - no citizen is paying for that.

Whether Downes is worried that he won't get invited to any cocktail parties from staff at CBS, NBC, CNN, etc, or simply he has a severe loathing - to the point he won't mention him in reports - it would be interesting to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭outandabout

The Iowa caucuses are on this week so I'm sure Ron Paul will get some airtime.

All news organisations will focus on the heavy hitters so the bulk of the coverage will go to Romney who stilll looks like the favourite for the nomination.

• Advertisement

Seems RP will come in second in New Hampshire, if he gets over this cold or whatever is blocking his nose and causing him to go 'home to the family' twice in last week and a half...

Anyway Murdoch tweeted that he thinks RP is 'very appealing',..no doubt he likes the idea of a free market system without the govt involved...

I am sure he sees many opportunities to corrupt the free market, monopolies and price fixing ...
    ... good ol Murdoch..

The Republicans don't want Romney...They are testing all the other candidates against him and the all fall like dominos..Santorum is unlikely to get far in New Hampshire...lots of independents who can vote for RP..

I dont get this, take out all RPs ideas except his foreign policy of less wars..Thats what the majority of americans will vote for, no war..

Obama will run on that...I cant see the people all rallying to Santorum and his war on iran..Romeny will tone down the war mongering..he has just said he wud not rule it out...

AS for the comment made by BrianD..."Yes, RTE's position has been vindicated and rightly too"... I think the 26,000 out of 100,000 in Iowa was a major victory for RP...RTE are now behind in reporting...Johhny come lately..

Just need to watch Jon Stewart and Neil Cavuto to prove that the media are ignoring RP, not because he has no chance but because he has a serious chance of getting the presidency if the ppl hear his meassage without it being twisted by the mainstream media on the oreders of the GOP..

As for ..
    What does Ron Paul stand for? Will he reverse the financial instruments that were brought in during the 80's in the Reagan era?

Thats his plan BrianD///

But I think ppl need to understand a bit more about RP before making these assumptions..Also I think the fin instruments of 80s is not what RP will address but brining in a real free market system with zero bailouts for the insiders..Then these kind of fin instruments will not bring down the economy, as they will know there is NO bailout...

Here is another vid for the BrianDs of the world..

Advertisement