Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign to get RTE and the Guardian to Report Ron Paul's Success

Options
  • 26-08-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm starting a campaign here to get RTE and the Guardian to report Ron Paul's success. Ron Paul earned 45 % of the votes in the New Hampshire Young Republicans Straw Poll but it wasn't mentioned in the Irish media.

RTE is in breach of the Broadcasting Act 2009. This is taken directly off their website
    "Code of Practice for the Handling of Complaints
    RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that

(a) all news broadcast . is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster's own views

(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of his or her own views, except that should it prove impracticable in relation to a single broadcast to apply this paragraph, two or more related broadcasts may be considered as a whole, if the broadcasts are transmitted within a reasonable period of each other."

Under part (b) it states that the broadcast must be fair to all interests concerned. RTE, like the media in the US, mention only the success of Mitt Romney or Michele Bachmann. If enough people complain they will have to start accurately reporting the news.

Here are the email addresses:

RTE complaints - complaints@rte.ie

the editor of the guardian - reader@guardian.co.uk

Here is a list of all the Broadcaster websites in Ireland which you can complain to

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/201107_Broadcaster_Codes_English_vFinal.pdf

And finally if no one listens you can then complain directly to the BAI at

http://www.bai.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Why would RTE report an election 15 months and 5,000 miles away at all? Why are we so US-obsessed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deckybarr

They are already reporting it. It's just that they are inaccurately reporting it.

Doesn't it bother you that your news is biased? Why are they biased?

My favorite headline recently on RTE news was "A source has informed RTE that if the banks default on the bond holders it would spell trouble for the country" (not word for word)

Who was the source? What is the other side of the argument?

Ron Paul is going to do away with the Federal Reserve.

Check this out, it was uploaded on 2007 before the current recession

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji_G0MqAqq8

Barack Obama blocked an attempt by the IMF to allow Ireland to default on some of it's bondholders. We do not want him to get elected again. He did not bring the architects of the 2008 crash to justice. In fact he said to them "The only thing that stands between you and jail is me". If they broke the law then they should go to jail. No politician should do favors for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blindpew2

Your right, I noticed RTE are ignoring Ron Paul just like the American media.
    Here's a link to a clip from Morning Ireland from two weeks ago, they are talking about the Iowa straw poll, in which Ron Paul came a close second, but yet it was as if he doesn't exist. http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20110815,3025911,3025911,flash,257 If they employ this policy of selective reporting how can we believe anything they report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

deckybarr wrote: »
    They are already reporting it. It's just that they are inaccurately reporting it.

Doesn't it bother you that your news is biased? Why are they biased?

My favorite headline recently on RTE news was "A source has informed RTE that if the banks default on the bond holders it would spell trouble for the country" (not word for word)

Who was the source? What is the other side of the argument?

Ron Paul is going to do away with the Federal Reserve.

Check this out, it was uploaded on 2007 before the current recession

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji_G0MqAqq8

Barack Obama blocked an attempt by the IMF to allow Ireland to default on some of it's bondholders. We do not want him to get elected again. He did not bring the architects of the 2008 crash to justice. In fact he said to them "The only thing that stands between you and jail is me". If they broke the law then they should go to jail. No politician should do favors for anyone.

Who exactly is the 'we' you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

You know what outrages me? There is not a whisper or mention in the US media of the fact that Shamrock Rovers have become the first League of Ireland side to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League.

THIS IS A SCANDAL!!! I mean, Rovers are from Dublin, and not only that from the SOUTH SIDE!!!! We are used to, nay entitled to, more fawning adulation than that.

Rovers' longest standing fan is Hollywood screen legend Maureen O'Hara.

Most of the good players in the US soccer side are Irish American. (Dempsey, Donovan, McBride) And yet they ignore this seismic event.

The BASTARDS!!!!!

Let the letter writing/e-mail deluge campaign commence.

RIGHT NOW!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And when I tuned into 'Entertainment Weekly' last night, was there any mention of Twink's planned new show on TV3 where she does agony aunt to the nation? Or Jedward's new album? Not a dickie bird.

Recall our ambassador from Washington, that's what I say.

RTE have mentioned all the other candidates but they haven't mentioned Ron Paul who is the favorite to win. Why are they talking about Mitt Romney or Michelle Bachmann but not Ron Paul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

RTE have mentioned all the other candidates but they haven't mentioned Ron Paul who is the favorite to win. Why are they talking about Mitt Romney or Michelle Bachmann but not Ron Paul?

Favourite to win what,exactly? If it's the Republican nomination, then Ladbrokes currently have him at 6th, not sure about other bookies. Personally, I could do with a bit less US election coverage until about next October, still getting over the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

He will not win the Republican nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Most people in Ireland have never heard of Ron Paul, don't want to know about him, or have any interest in low grade US Politics(as of now)

What is your vested interest poster, in trying to get the national broadcaster to report on Ron Paul?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've noticed quite a bit of shilling for Ron Paul on Irish web sites this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Reminds me of Howard Dean.
    If you read the internet you'd think he'd be favourite with all his fanboys in the forums

But realy, he's an also ran

mikemac wrote: »
    Reminds me of Howard Dean.
    If you read the internet you'd think he'd be favourite with all his fanboys in the forums

But realy, he's an also ran

I was reminded of Howard Dean too.

It also seems to be the case that there is a large community of libertarians (or self-proclaimed libertarians) online - however the electorate at large seems to have little interest in libertarian ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seriously though, I have been scouring through the Fox News website and Snickers Man is right. There is not a single mention of Rovers' glorious triupmh in Belgrade.

I reckon Alex Jones must be behind this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is anybody bothering to read any of the points being made in this thread? The issue is that they are reporting on polls etc. but leaving RP out. They'll list the top 5 and not mention Paul, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

I'm starting a campaign here to get RTE and the Guardian to report Ron Paul's success. Ron Paul earned 45 % of the votes in the New Hampshire Young Republicans Straw Poll but it wasn't mentioned in the Irish media.

RTE is in breach of the Broadcasting Act 2009. This is taken directly off their website
    "Code of Practice for the Handling of Complaints
    RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that

(a) all news broadcast . is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster's own views

(b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of his or her own views, except that should it prove impracticable in relation to a single broadcast to apply this paragraph, two or more related broadcasts may be considered as a whole, if the broadcasts are transmitted within a reasonable period of each other."

Under part (b) it states that the broadcast must be fair to all interests concerned. RTE, like the media in the US, mention only the success of Mitt Romney or Michele Bachmann. If enough people complain they will have to start accurately reporting the news.

Here are the email addresses:

RTE complaints - complaints@rte.ie

the editor of the guardian - reader@guardian.co.uk

Here is a list of all the Broadcaster websites in Ireland which you can complain to

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/201107_Broadcaster_Codes_English_vFinal.pdf

And finally if no one listens you can then complain directly to the BAI at

http://www.bai.ie/

News: something of interest to the general public.

I suspect they didn't report Ron Paul's success in a poll of young republicans (not even all republicans - do we report the insightful musings of young Fine Gael?) in a single US state for much the same reason as they did not give us the baseball results. Given that there are more people in the US interested in baseball than in Ron Paul that is probably an even handed approach.

You are not alone - I waited all night for the weather forecast for Wagga Wagga and that didn't make the cut either.

amacachi wrote: »
    Is anybody bothering to read any of the points being made in this thread? The issue is that they are reporting on polls etc. but leaving RP out. They'll list the top 5 and not mention Paul, why?

Why don't you ring them and ask them.

Report back here at 1400hrs to-morrow.

Then you might be taken seriously.

RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that "..... the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned......"

They are reporting how well Bachmann and Romney are doing but not Ron Paul. It would be as if American news reported that Donegal won at the weekend.

Our country is the way it is due to white collar crime here and in the US.
    Clinton deregulated the banks, Bush had the FBI concentrate on terrorism rather than corruption and Obama has let the ***** in the banks away with everything in the hope that they will fix it.

What happened in the states has had a direct effect on the EU and Ireland. US banks provided insurance for the bonds that French and German banks bought off Irish banks. We had no other choice but to take the bailout package forced on us by the EU, ECB and IMF.

The Federal Reserve Bank (which Ron Paul will do away with) has lent money to the EU. This will only delay the inevitable and make things worse in the long run.

We should be interested in who becomes president of the US. We want someone who will fight for justice and prevent what has happened from happening again.

We also have the right to a fair and unbiased media.

Why don't RTE want us to hear about Ron Paul?

RTÉ is obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that "..... the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate is fair to all interests concerned......"

They are reporting how well Bachmann and Romney are doing but not Ron Paul. It would be as if American news reported that Donegal won at the weekend.

Our country is the way it is due to white collar crime here and in the US.
    Clinton deregulated the banks, Bush had the FBI concentrate on terrorism rather than corruption and Obama has let the ***** in the banks away with everything in the hope that they will fix it.

What happened in the states has had a direct effect on the EU and Ireland. US banks provided insurance for the bonds that French and German banks bought off Irish banks. We had no other choice but to take the bailout package forced on us by the EU, ECB and IMF.

The Federal Reserve Bank (which Ron Paul will do away with) has lent money to the EU. This will only delay the inevitable and make things worse in the long run.

We should be interested in who becomes president of the US. We want someone who will fight for justice and prevent what has happened from happening again.

We also have the right to a fair and unbiased media.

Why don't RTE want us to hear about Ron Paul?

Do you really think they're sitting around in RTE trying to decide how best to screw Rin Paul?They are concentrating whatever resources they have for covering American politics on the front-runners and the big names.To follow your logic they would have to allocate coverage to every candidate running for the office,from the Libertarians to the Workers World Party.It simply isn't feasible.I get that you're a Ron Paul fan,I follow the political situation in Zimbabwe quite a bit and I'm not claiming RTE are biased because they don't have a report from Harare every evening!

• Advertisement

RTE replied to my complaint. Here was their reply:

"Dear Declan,
    Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our programmes.

Your comments about Congressman Ron Paul will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your comments to Morning Ireland and to our News Editorial team for attention.

Thank you for taking the time to make your views known.

With every good wish,

Máire Nic Fhinn
    RTÉ Information"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Do his supporters really think he'll get the nomination:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

Ron Paul eh? Isn't he the nutjob that thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old and the Noahs ark myth is a "historical" document?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

The only reason we have any interest in Michelle Bachmann is because she's entertainingly mental. I could not give less of a crap about Romney and Ron Paul, and neither does most of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

smokingman wrote: »
    Ron Paul eh? Isn't he the nutjob that thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old and the Noahs ark myth is a "historical" document?

I look forward to a TV presidential candidate debate when he's asked to estimate the age of the Grand Canyon. No doubt he prefers Intelligent Design to Darwin.

RTE replied to my complaint. Here was their reply:

"Dear Declan,
    Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in our programmes.

Your comments about Congressman Ron Paul will be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

I have also forwarded your comments to Morning Ireland and to our News Editorial team for attention.

Thank you for taking the time to make your views known.

With every good wish,

Máire Nic Fhinn
    RTÉ Information"

Nice one, pass the buck down the line, no reason given, they are just hoping you will go away.

Will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Ron Paul supporters Stateside have been complaining about a lack of coverage too. In RTE's case I'd say it's most likely that they are simply aping what's happening Stateside.

Whether that is good enough in journalistic terms is another question, but I don't believe there's a deliberate conspiracy in Montrose. A conspiracy requires some intelligence after all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

He's not photogenic and looks the archytypal loser. Having run twice before, he should wise up, pull in his horns and keep Sudoku game book in his restroom. As this extract fron The Huff explains:

" Paul typically does well in such straw polls, which rely on supporters' intensity and organization. His base helped him win straw polls at June's Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans and February's Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, and his followers organize online to ensure strong finishes at any contest they can find."

So, similar to a cult, his devotees get paranoid about the media, give unswerving (if misplaced) loyalty, believe implicidly in his musings and are decent folk but naive.

The fact that Ron Paul followers on this forum are relatively new, would prompt an impartial reader to smell something.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

Ron Paul is a FOOKING LEGEND...

Every week he moves further and further up the polls...

The great thing is his competition are useless...

Bachman won the Iowa debate by 260 votes over RP, and she kept telling them to vote for her shes from Iowa, where is she now, she looks like she is close to a nervous breakdown....

Rick Perry has lost it with his useless debate performances//

Its now Romney V Paul

They willhave to get Sarah Palin or someone else at christmas to try and make sure Paul doesnt win.

To the Republicans its anyone but Ron ABR....He will change the world lol

The lads here are just winding you up Decky....But they were all saying hes got no chance but look at him now...Sheep city here...

There is another thread about RTE ignoring Ron Paul, and another on politics.ie and Jon Stewart did a joke on it;

Alex Jones loves him too lol, if alex jones talks about it itsa conspiracy theory, if jon stewart talks about it the sheep wake up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just to cut to the chase - Ron Paul is not going to be the Republican nominee, he's not going to be president, and even if he were, he wouldn't close the federal reserve down.

That's not to damn the man or his intentions, it's simply a reflection of the will of the electorate in the US. A fanatical niche support base does not a winning candidate make - and the media here, there, and everywhere know this to be the case.

Advertisement